Read this! About the ticket business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did steal your topic from atu2.com :D Sorry, I should have quoted you... I just thought it was good info for all of us and needed to be spread out...

All this ticket fiasco has reminded me of the first time I felt screwed over in buying tickets for a U2 show.

In 1987, for the fall leg of The Joshua Tree, U2 announced the first night at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and all advertising indicated that for the first hour, tickets were only going to be sold at the box office at the LA Memorial Sports Arena (right next door to Coliseum). After the first hour, they would be available through Ticketmaster outlets and phone. There were sevral thousand people outside the Sports Arena that morning and we all got wristbands. When they started announcing the order, they called it out randomaly in groups of 50 numbers ( for instance anyone with wristbands numbered like 251 to 300). I was in the first group of 50 that was called out and I quickly ran to the front one one of 6-8 lines, as there were either 6 or 8 ticket windows selling the tickets at 9am. I was going to purchase the total amount of tickets allowed which was 6 (the price was $19.50 each, no Ticketmaster service charges!). I figured since it was only me and the other 5-7 people buying at that moment, there was no way I could end up any further back then like 2nd or 3rd row, even considering that some tickets would be held out. I aksed for my 6 tickets and while they were on the floor of the stadium, I was in the 26th row! Seeing as I was supposedly 1 of only 6-8 people anywhere buying tickets for this show at that exact moment, I couldn't believe it. I realize that had I asked for maybe 3 sets of 2 or a set of 2 and a set of 4, I could have been closer, but since it was only me and 5-7 others buying at the front of each line, I didn't think it was an issue.

At this time Propaganda was only about 1 year old. I was not a subscriber yet, but I can't picture that Prop would have had anywhere enough demand at the time to hold out the first 25 rows, which are very wide in a stadium.

The day before the concert, a guy I worked with and went to school with, told me he had just got front row tickets, that his mother had got them for him. Of course I felt a bit ripped off, knowing those should be mine. The funny thing is he also played guitar and had a band. At the time U2 was known to pull a fan onstage to play People get ready or Knockin' On Heaven's Door. He told me he had practiced both songs and because he was front row, center section, he was going to try to get Bono to pick him and also, that he was going to bring a demo tape with him, just in case. To my amazement, at the show the next day, Bono did indeed bring him onstage to play the song, which when it ended, this guy did give Bono the demo tape. Anyone who was there that night or has heard a bootleg of that show (11/17/87) will remember Bono said something to the effect of "only in L.A., this guy's just given me his demo tape."

Well we all know who got the tickets this time and every time, just look at e-bay. Bill Joel also sends his people into the crowds to give them front row tickets in exchange for their original tickets. One4U2 was one of those lucky people who got front row. It still doesn't help anyone who didn't get tickets or who will end up paying the price to these :madspit: scalpers for the seats that we want. This corruption has been going on for years and I don't see any end to it.

that article is 6 years old-

There has been a crackdown on a lot of that stuff. Im not saying some unethical things dont go on anymore. i work in the concert industry and have seen a lot of changes in the last few years especially as ClearChannel has pretty much monopolized the business.

youtwohearts said:
Well we all know who got the tickets this time and every time, just look at e-bay. Bill Joel also sends his people into the crowds to give them front row tickets in exchange for their original tickets. One4U2 was one of those lucky people who got front row. It still doesn't help anyone who didn't get tickets or who will end up paying the price to these :madspit: scalpers for the seats that we want. This corruption has been going on for years and I don't see any end to it.

alot of people on Ebay are just amateur scalpers. They dont have any inside tricks. They are doing the same thing that anyone else is doing. There are just more and more people trying to make a quick buck these days.

Then there are some like that guy K-rider who is selling tickets that he doesnt have yet.

*bump*

ClearChannel is as corrupt or worse. Don't kid yourself.

"Thus, the average disappointed consumer walks away with the suspicion that the tickets could not have all been sold, through the normal means, quite that fast. He or she often believes that someone, somewhere, had an "in," and that dutifully waiting on line or telephoning repeatedly was, in reality, an exercise in futility. To a large extent, that frustrated consumer is correct. This report attempts to explain why and highlights the myths, half truths, and outright criminality that causes the scarcity of tickets."

It may be a six year old article but the facts stated therein have not changed one bit.

Another enlightening article:
www dot counterpunch dot org slash marsh0527 dot html

(Sorry, I can't post URLs yet.)

Outstanding information from the New York AG's office. This looks to be from 1999, was Eliot Spitzer AG at that time? He is one damn good AG, really knows the meaning of justice and advocating for ordinary citizens.

This answers a lot of questions and suspicions I have had for years.

RobertWiscy said:
Outstanding information from the New York AG's office. This looks to be from 1999, was Eliot Spitzer AG at that time? He is one damn good AG, really knows the meaning of justice and advocating for ordinary citizens.

This answers a lot of questions and suspicions I have had for years.

Yes, Spitzer was AG.
I strongly recommend everyone who's so busy eviscerating the band read this article first.

The Orange County Register in OC, CA did a really good report about 5 yrs ago on the ticket brokers, and did you know that many of these brokers actually have contracts with venues. Irvine Meadows, Verizon, whatever it's called now, has a contract, and there are whole sections never for sale to the public, and one of the sections isn't even on the seating charts, but when you go there you'll go wtf how did those rows get in front of me, because they always go to the brokers, who in effect own them and resell them each concert.

Back
Top Bottom