Rank your Vertigo Tour concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
Hopefully, the Vertigo Tour is not yet over, but for many of us, it's now a fond memory.

Which were your favorite and least favorite shows, and why?

This is only for those of us who are really, really bored, or who have lots of free time on their hands :wink:

Any reason for liking one show over another is welcomed, objectivity not required here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended 10 shows in 6 different cities, 2 different countries:

10. Monterrey, Mexico - Feb 12: My first stadium gig after being inside the ellipse 6 times in a row, ended up outside the barrier, too far away to even take good photos, waited in line all day and got a sunburn, crowd was passive and clueless about U2, the boys weren't into it at all. Rotten show.

9. Las Vegas 1 - Nov 4: I got scanned into the ellipse again, and started out in the second row in front of Edge, but I lost my spot when I went around taking photos of other fans, and the person I was with didn't reserve my spot for me... consequently, I ended up standing behind the tallest dude in the MGM Arena. I don't even remember this show, actually.

8. Oakland 1 - Nov 8: They played nearly the exact same setlist as the epic Las Vegas 2 show three days earlier, so the whole concert was predictable

7. San Jose 1 - Apr 9: Got scanned into the ellipse for the first time, which was great, and I met Bono before the show, which was greater, but the show kind of dragged... Bono seemed tired, maybe it was just us

6. Oakland 2 - Nov 9: Stood in the back of the ellipse for a change, and really enjoyed jumping up and down with all the other nutters back there. I went ballistic when they played "I Will Follow" and "Gloria" back-to-back, then "Fast Cars" to top it off... great show, even though the light curtains for "Streets" didn't work

5. Mexico City 2 - Feb 16: Walked up right when the gates opened and ended up with the best spot in the whole stadium, right between the two B-stages. After 5 days of flying around Mexico, I was exhausted at this point, but the crowd was really into it, U2 performed brilliantly, and we all had a blast running from one B-stage to the other whenever one of the guys came down the ramps

4. Portland - Dec 19: Last show of the year, had a great time standing in the freezing rain outside in the GA line, filming everyone and writing numbers on everyone's hands. Atmosphere inside the ellipse was electric, then we all held up our Thank You signs and made lasting memories for everyone who was there. The only bummer was that I missed most of Kanye West while standing in line for beers, and U2 ended the show rather abruptly

3. San Jose 2 - Apr 10: Second row of the ellipse, between Edge and Bono, got tons of great photographs, and U2 put on one of the best shows I have ever seen. Bono was full of energy tonight, told lots of stories and the whole crowd was rapturous. Maybe the best version of "Streets" I have ever experienced, the audio boot still gives me chills

2. Mexico City 1 - Feb 15: The reason this show is high on my list is because I was in such a great mood that night, having slept most of the day and only getting to the stadium right when The Secret Machines went on at 8pm. We ended up with crap spots way off to the side, but the amazing atmosphere of Azteca Stadium, after the sad experience at Monterrey, made up for it. The most remarkable moment occurred when "Wake Up" played over the PA... the whole stadium erupted, not because they recognized the song, but because the guys were walking down a gangway behind the stage, but everyone could see them... all four of them looked completely startled by the huge roar and stopped dead in their tracks and stood there waving at us... needless to say, minutes later they were on stage tearing into a tremendous version of COBL, with half the crowd around us crying and singing at the same time... unforgettable.

1. Las Vegas 2 - Nov 5: This was the only arena show where I had a seat, but it was only 8 rows from Adam, so I finally got to see the whole Vertigo light show that I had been missing while standing inside the ellipse. Las Vegas 2 was the best show I saw because of the unsurpassed setlist, the guest appearances by Mary J Blige and Brandon Flowers, the tiny intimate arena and the great group of hardcore U2 fans that I hung out with that night. I remember almost every moment of that entire show, it really was one of those high points in my life, no joke. Immediately afterwards, everyone around said that it was the best U2 show they had ever seen, and I just felt so lucky to have been inside that room with the other 15,000 U2 fans to witness an unexpected glimpse of heaven.

Last edited:
I only went to three, but here they are:

1. Atlanta 1- Nov. 18: My first GA experience. I wasn't inside the ellipse, but I was in the first row at the tip. Camping out the night before with a bunch of hardcore fans in 20 degree weather was a blast. It was great being far enough back to see the light show, and the highlight was probably Bono and the Edge singing Yahweh three feet in front of me.

2. Philly 2- Oct. 17: This was my first U2 show ever, and it was a special one. They played Electric Co and Fast Cars and Bruce Springsteen joined them for People Get Ready. It was really amazing, and I surprised two of my sisters by getting them tickets to come with me.

3. Atlanta 2- Nov. 19: I had crappy seats behind the stage, and that was kind of a let down after the awesome GA experience the night before, but it was still awesome because I got to hear The First Time and Bad as the closer. I also got to meet Bono before the show.

I went to 5....

5. Berlin (7th July): first Vertigo show for me.... I was expecting something surrealistic, it was not. Bono was tired about the G8 meeting the same day, except for Electric Co, the show was slow and crowd horribly boring!

4. Buenos Aires (2nd March): I was there with my girlfriend. We tried to get into that damn circle, but missed it for 2 minutes..... so the result is that we got absolutely smashed against the barriers..... we held 25 minutes and during Beautiful Day, we asked to be evacuated.... :wink: even me which is 1m95, and not very tiny, I had to fight for my life..... so imagine my sweet girlfriend.... poor her. Anyway, We didn't enjoy anything...... crap!

3. Zurich (20th July): Great show, a lot more energy and fun than Berlin 2 weeks earlier.... first time hearing Miss Sarajevo.... and HUGE surprise cause I didn't see that they played it in Amsterdam 2 nights earlier..... I had tears in my eyes.... perfect. The only bad, very bad point is that they had to start at 20h00 and played 90% of the concert during daylights.... cause of stupid swiss regulations.....

2. Buenos Aires (1st March): My Dad lives in Argentina 7 months a year.... so I guess it was a great opportunity to go visit him. He got me and my girlfriend tickets for both nights and came to his first U2 concert after 15 years of hearing and bitching about them cause I made to much noise at home..... haha... We were seated not far from the stage. My first "seating" exprience in 10 U2 concerts.... I must say that it was great. My father was very impressed and didn't believe U2 would be so good live. It was a great concert with my first Fast cars, and this tiny but magical bit of Love is blindnes....:drool:

1. Nice (7th August) WOW...nothing to say, everything was united to be the perfect concert I was hoping for since 1993..... since the untouchable ZOO TV..... it was by night, from the first song, we were in the circle, around 10 meters from Edge side.... energy, so much energy.... the crowd was so into it.... jokes from the band, Edge said in french "je suis une rock star", I'm a rock star.... it was very very big!

Overall, I have to say that I've been spoiled last year.... and thank people who hlped me getting tickets, people I met..... and U2!

I "only" went to 5 shows (Anaheim 1, Anaheim 2, Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2 and Salt Lake City) and each was a little different. I have good memories of each show. But I'm with you that Las Vegas 2 was something very special. I'm glad I decided to go. I did not have a ticket and was able to score a single at face value around 9:00 pm right outside the MGM Grand.

Vegas 2 was pretty amazing.

I got to attend 7 shows this time: Anaheim 1 and 2, Phoenix 2? (Friday), both Vegas shows, the LA show right before Vegas (3?), and Portland.

Vegas 2 was my favorite of the 7. The band was on fire, and Mary's version of One was wonderful.

Anaheim 1 was crazy, what with the whole no encore thing and the rough sound and rough playing, but I'd just gotten off the plane from Dublin about 6 hours before I arrived at the arena, so I was punchy and exhausted and terribly, terribly excited to start the U2 concert-going all over again after a few years off after Elevation ended.

Portland was no great shakes as far as performances go, but the last show made it loads of fun.

It’s all very subjective of course, and it’s no coincidence that most of my favourite ones were shows I was stood near the front for…..

14. Cardiff 29/6/05. This came off the back of my Croke weekend, was miles away from the stage so it never had a chance.
13. Brussels 10/6/05. I thought this had a terrible crowd for it, just seemed like no atmosphere. Very cool moment though when a plane flew over the stadium in Running… right at the “cheap ticket for an aeroplane” moment
12. Manchester 15/6/05
11. Boston 4/10/05
10. MSG 11/10/05
9. Twickenham 19/6/05
8. MSG 10/10/05
7. Dublin 25/6/05
6. Glasgow 21/6/05. Forget the static set-list, this was kicking in the front GA section!
5. MSG 8/10/05. Awesome set-list. The long rendition of 40 after the lights went up (and in the streets outside) is one of my favourite memories of this tour. Great night afterwards in a bar down the road from MSG also!
4. Twickenham 18/6/05.
3. MSG 7/10/05.
2. Boston 3/10/05. The band were on top form, the crowd was massively pumped up. This edges out MSG 7/10/05 based on the version they played of Streets this night being the best 5 minutes I’ve ever seen at any concert. Spine-tingling moments, this one nearly topped the Croke Park show.
1. Croke Park 24/6/05. It rained all day but it mattered not. Fulfilled a long standing dream to see them play at their true home in Dublin, what a night, what a show. Stood in the middle of Croke Park surrounded by hyped up U2 fans, there is nothing not to like!

Nine shows, but very tough to "rank" so as of today...

09. 04-01-2005 Great Seats, uneven show.
08. 11-05-2005 THE WORST SEATS OF THE TOUR, so I can't rate it as high. Great show though.
07. 12-19-2005 Other than it being the last show of 3rd leg, it was kinda weak. Bono's voice not NEARLY as strong on most of my 3rd leg boots, compared to 1st leg, so not as great as others...
06. 04-15-2005 All alone taping on the GA floor, band was on fire. Great show!
05. 11-02-2005 My best seats of the tour, but not as special as the night before
04. 11-01-2005 Last minute ticket, front row, on Adam's side. Super Special show
03. 03-26-2005 Great! 800 of us in a whole arena.
02. 03-28-2005 Even better, but taping GA, you can't see as much as you can in the stands. But the offical opening night was one of the best!
01. 04-14-2005 Closest I've ever been for a U2 show. So it was really great.

4. Gothenburg - Had seats, but they played Party Girl! Great show really, but still, I had seats...
3. Copenhagen - Had the best GA spot there was, right in front of Bono. Fantastic night, but I had gotten quite used to the show by then.
2. Milan night 2 - WHAT A SHOW. Right along Edge's catwalk. Great crowd, great set, great night.
1. Dublin night 1 - In the bomb shelter, next to Adam's catwalk. The first U2 concert of my life. Wild Horses live. Just magnificent.

3. Toronto 9/16 - My first U2 show, amazing! Great seats too, on Edge's side. Great setlist, though I was unfarmiliar with a few of the songs being a relatively new U2 fanatic :reject: So I couldn't really appreciate them. Other highlights: Bono calling BB King for his birthday, the audience singing him happy birthday, and Bono bringing a band up to play Out Of Control.

2. Montreal 11/28 - Arcade Fire = :drool: Arcade Fire + U2 onstage together = :combust: We were in GA and stuck at the back by the soundboard because we got into the city late(horrible traffic :() but we had an amazing time and sang at the top of our lungs. Montreal crowds = :crazy: My ears were ringing for days after from the screaming.

3. Buffalo 12/9 - GA again and none of us scanned into the ellipse, but a crew member took pity on me(squished up against the side barrier, barely 5'1") and gave me an ellipse wristband. Spent the rest of the show in front of Adam and had the time of my life. Highlights - Instant Karma! :hyper:

Let's see...

1: MSG 11/21/05-My first (and only) show with GA. I got the tickets about a week before the show (at only $10 above face!), and ended up getting scanned into the ellipse! I was in the second row between Bono and Adam, and had a BLAST! The first "Instant Karma" with Patti Smith, my first time hearing UTEOTW, and closing with Bad. Great show!

2: MSG 10/14/05: OK seats behind the stage, and even though the show may have been a bit of a let down, since I'm sure people were expecting a jaw-droppingly good show for the 5th show at MSG that week, but I thought it was great. Electric Co. AND Gloria in the same show! Party Girl, Fast Cars, and a kick-ass Vertigo II.

3: MSG 10/8/05: Really bad side stage/rear seats in a 400 section, but this show had the only US performance of AIWIY, so that was pretty great. I also got to hear Fast Cars for the first time, which was a THRILL, since that was on my (not so) short-list of songs that I desperately wanted to hear. WGRYWH, OOTS, and my first time hearing First Time and Miss Sarajevo.

4: MSG 10/10/05: Pretty close behind 10/8. 200 level rear/side stage seats on Adam's side ended up being blocked by a pole, which was a huge disappointment. I'd been anxiously waiting for that 200 level (after having been stuck with 300/400 seats up until that point). Great to hear Zoo Station and The Fly again, and Bad was a huge surprise (plus coming back out to sing 40 was wonderful). My friend and I moved down to 100 level seats for the last encore.

5: Boston 5/24/05: Crappy seats (300, last row, clear across the arena)...though I suppose it was nice to have that vantage point once to really appreciate the curtains/light show. The setlist for this show left a lot to be desired though. NYD had recently been dropped from the set and wasn't replaced with anything, and this show got (just) The Ocean in place of ACD/ITH. Booo! I was glad I caught this one 1st leg show though. As much as I love MS, I really missed RTSS on the 3rd leg.

St. Louis was definitely my favorite. Least favorite, Oakland 1.

If only I could have gone to multiple concerts...

I was very grateful to be at the Brussels concert and, contrary to what has been said before, it was a thrilling experience. Never been to a better show with such a fantastic setlist...

It's impossible to pick. I was lucky enough to go to six shows (five cities, two states) and had a blast each time. Opening night in San Diego was fantastic because it was all new, I had no idea what would happen and the band rocked. Anaheim 1 a few days later blew me away because the band completely changed the intro. LA 1 a few days after that was amazing and I met Edge and Adam that day. For the third leg, LA 1 was incredible because it was Larry's birthday and the band threw in a bunch of extra songs. Vegas 1 I got the view from the back of the stage and an Elvis impersonator. And New York 5 (I believe, 11/22) was the night I heard "Original of the Species" for the first time and the evening closed with Patti Smith and U2 doing "Instant Karma."

It really was a hell of a tour and even though I still am not even close to paying all of that off, it was totally worth it.

I went to 6

1 - 5/26/05 - Boston - my first GA and I was on the rail where Bono stepped out during UTEOTW. Amazing show
2 - 12/4/05 - Boston - My birthday!
3 - 6/24/05 - Dublin - Fantastic set list - first time hearing Wild Horse and ISHFWILF
4- 10/4/05 - Boston - my first and only ellipse -on the rail in front of Edge.

5 - 12/7/05 - Hartford
6 - 5/24/05 - Boston

I went to 7 concerts in Europe, this's my rank:

Dublin 1st night - seating place at Adam's side

Dublin 2nd night - seating place at Edge's side

Vienna - GA ticket, first row at right B-stage

Amsterdam 1 - GA ticket, second row at main stage (in front of Edge)

Katowice - GA ticket, 5th row at main stage

Munich - GA ticket, first row in front of Adam

best concert ever
:
AMSTERDAM 3 - GA ticket, 2nd row in front of Edge

zsuzsitour2.jpg

Last edited:
I saw four shows on the Vertigo Tour and all four had a very different feel for me. I saw back-to-back nights in Phoenix in April and the consecutive Vegas shows at the MGM Grand in Nov.

#1 Phoenix 2:

What made this the most incredible experience of the tour was getting scanned into the ellipse. I thought you had to be a fan club member to even have a chance. What an incredible surprise. They mixed up the song order/selection from the night before too, including Bad for what I think was the first time on the tour.

#2 Vegas 2:

I had so much fun at the Phoenix 2 show that it convinced me to go see them again in Sin City. I was definitely glad I went, although I was in the back of the arena both nights. The second show gets the nod for the set selection as much as anything. I thought Mary J. Blidge and Brandon Flowers both did a great job on their songs, but I didn't even really know who they were. I had heard of The Killers, but didn't know Flowers by name. Still, great show although bittersweet knowing it would be my last.

#3 Vegas 1

What a thrill to be back at the MGM Grand for another high-profile concert. The anticipation after seven months following the Phoenix shows was overwhelming and I was not disappointed. Perhaps one of the most unique shows of the tour because they did a lot of acoustic versions of their songs. I think they did five songs acoustically that night, including Walk On and Wild Horses.

#4 Phoenix 1

Ironically, my first show of the tour turned out to be my least favorite. Now THERE'S an argument for going to see more than one show! This one got the lowest grade if only because I had the worst seat of any of the four nights. Off to the side, way up high in the upper deck. The best part of that view was getting the full overhead effect of the lights and staging. That was definitely cool, and the acoustics weren't too bad that high either. It was a good show, but the others were better.

I've seen every tour starting with Auchtung Baby, but this was the first time I went to multiple shows.

Last edited:
Manchester 1 the only show i went to,it's not considered to be one of the bands better shows by some people but i thought it was fucking amazing from start to finish

For me:
1. 10/17 Philly. Band and crowd had the most energy out of any show. Edge killed Electric Co. Was the best performance of that song that I have ever heard and one more thing, Bruce.
2.5/17 East Rutherford. This was a great show. Again crowd was into it and it was the only tome I got the hear Vertigo at the end of the show.
3. 10/8 New York. All I Want Is You was played and that is one of my favorite songs and my wedding song which is on 6/24/06.
4. 12/5 Boston. Had to camp out in 20 degree weather overnight, but I got to meet Edge before the show and Bono jumped in the crowd right at me and my friends during UTEOTW.

The rest are all equal 10/16, 5/14, 5/22 Philly. 5/18 East Rutherford and 10/10 New York. I had all GA but not once got into the ellipse, which sucked, but I was just happy to get the chance to see the boys that many times in a year.

3 shows and each was unique:
Boston 5/28- last show of the first leg so the atmosphere was pretty joyous; went with my dad who got me into U2 15 years ago, we worked hard to find tickets, and hearing Horses and Party Girl was awesome... plus I liked the playing Vertigo twice:)

Atlanta 11/19- seat right off Edge's side the stage- was my first time being so close, band was on fire that night, and Bad as a closer was amazing!

Charlotte 12/12- went with my girlfriend, was my first time in GA and had a spot just off the Adam's side of the ramp, hearing Gloria was a treat, Larry played a little bit longer of a 40 outro than any other I've heard. But Charlotte is really stringent on their 11pm curfew, so the setlist was a bit short.

So if I really had to order them:
1) Atlanta
2) Boston
3) Charlotte

Back
Top Bottom