Question For Axver???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As in the most amount of other artists to join U2 on stage during U2's shows?

I'm actually not sure I'm the most qualified to answer this question. Let's play the game of "Add To The Following List Any Other Guests You Know"

Boy Tour:
October Tour:
War Tour: The Alarm
The Unforgettable Fire Tour:
The Joshua Tree Tour: Maria McKee, Bruce Springsteen
Lovetown: Depending on your perspective, BB King and his band
ZooTV: Bjorn and Benny from Abba
Popmart: Fun Lovin' Criminals
Elevation: Gwen Stefani
Vertigo: Eddie Vedder, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Exit, Menew, The Bankrobbers

I'm really tired right now so I've probably missed some stuff.

You can add Jim Kerr to the War Tour (Werchter 3.7.83)

and I believe Chrissie Hynde joined the band on stage in Basel (J.Tree tour) but not sure if she sang or just bought out the champers

Additions to Axver's list:

Boy:
- Busta Jones (?)

October:
- Mike Peters

Joshua Tree Tour:
- Lou Reed
- BB King

ZooTV:
- Lou Reed
- Daniel Lanois
- Axl Rose

Popmart:
- Brian Eno
- that singer from The Monkees

OK, the list as it stands now:

Boy Tour: Busta Jones (?)
October Tour: Mike Peters
War Tour: The Alarm, Jim Kerr
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: Red Rockers
The Joshua Tree Tour: Maria McKee, Bruce Springsteen, Chrissie Hynde (?), BB King, Lou Reed
ZooTV: Bjorn and Benny from Abba, Daniel Lanois, Axl Rose
Popmart: Fun Lovin' Criminals, Brian Eno, Monkees singer guy
Vertigo: Eddie Vedder, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Exit, Menew, The Bankrobbers, Daniel Lanois, Brandon Flowers

Marty, did Lou Reed ever actually come on stage on ZooTV? I thought it was just the pre-recorded Satellite Of Love.

Edit: I'm certain someone (not the Red Rockers) joined U2 on stage during the UF Tour, I believe for Knockin' On Heaven's Door, but I'm having a total blank on who it might've been. Anyone know?

Axver said:
Marty, did Lou Reed ever actually come on stage on ZooTV? I thought it was just the pre-recorded Satellite Of Love.

Yes. I believe it was the first New York concert of the Outside Broadcast leg.

Popmartijn said:

Yes. I believe it was the first New York concert of the Outside Broadcast leg.

Ah, righto. Another edit to the list then (along with two others I remembered from JT):

The Joshua Tree Tour: Maria McKee, Bruce Springsteen, Chrissie Hynde (?), BB King, Lou Reed, New Voices Of Freedom Gospel Choir, Bob Dylan
ZooTV: Bjorn and Benny from Abba, Daniel Lanois, Axl Rose, Lou Reed
Vertigo: Eddie Vedder, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Exit, Menew, The Bankrobbers, Daniel Lanois, Brandon Flowers

Last edited:
Axver, where in NZ do you live?? I was there two years ago, what an awesome place!!! I hope you get to see them in Auckland. Are they playing at the big rugby stadium there?

i believe dylan jumped on stage in LA... played knockin' on heaven's door. i have an mp3 of it somewhere... bono said something about how bob doesn't mind that he (bono) makes up his own words to bob dylan songs, to which dylan replied "i do it all the time."

daniel lanois also performed durring elevation.

Terry Lawless in 2005
Basstech in 1993
Dave Stewart in 2001(9/11 TV)
Mothers of Children of Dissappeared in 1998
Guy on 3rd zoo leg who sung his own song solo
Salman Rushdie in 1993
McCartney in 2005

Axver said:

Ah, righto. Another edit to the list then (along with two others I remembered from JT):

The Joshua Tree Tour: Maria McKee, Bruce Springsteen, Chrissie Hynde (?), BB King, Lou Reed, New Voices Of Freedom Gospel Choir, Bob Dylan

Maria Mckee played People Get Ready with U2 on the Lovetown tour during the Dublin run.

Bob Dylan did play Knockin On Heavens Door with U2 during the LA stint of the first leg of the Joshua Tree tour.

who cares about this. what i want to know is which tour has had the most girls on stage with bono :love:

Last edited:
Axver said:
OK, the list as it stands now:

ZooTV: ...Axl Rose

WTF? What did Axl sing?

I think Lou Reed was at the Yankee Stadium show I was at. Front row baby!

Didn't Lou Reed come on stage for Satellite Of Love each night that the Velvet Underground opened for U2 on the Zooropa tour?

Popmartijn said:

When did this happen? :eyebrow:
To my knowledge Bob Dylan has never appeared onstage with U2...
:scratch:

I saw Dylan onstage with U2 doing I Shall Be Released on the Amnesty International tour in 1986 at the Forum in Inglewood, CA. All the performers from that night came onstage with U2, so you can add a lot of names from that short tour.

People onstage with U2 on the night I saw them included Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Joan Baez, the Neville Brothers, Jackson Browne, Bob Geldof, Dave Stewart, Lou Reed, Bryan Adams, Don Henley and others.

Axver, you can add Daniel Lanois to Elevation, as he came onstage in East Rutherford for the live premiere of Wild Honey. Also add Patti Scialfa to the Vertigo list.

This is a stretch, but Naomi Campbell released at least 1 album, so she can be considered a recording artist. She joined U2 onstage in Dublin in 1993, though she only used the handicam and did not perform in a musical way.

I was going to say Dave Stewart, but now that Ive read all the comments Im not sure if there was anything other than the 9/11 version of Walk On and at the end of Amnesty show. Does anybody know if he was on stage with them at any other time??

also the Police as a band were on stage with them at least once when they did the handing over of the guitars symbolic passing of the torch. Not sure which show that was, but I think it was Amnesty tour as well.

SO I guess, Ive added nothing...good topic

I though Public Enemy opened for them or was on the Zoo tour at some point:hmm: :confused:

I like the guest on this tour the best.

List update. I've only included proper recording artists who have actually performed, not just walked on stage. I don't think we should count the Amnesty International Tour as that was more featuring U2 rather than being a U2 tour.

Lovetown: Maria McKee, and depending on your perspective, BB King and his band
Popmart: Fun Lovin' Criminals, Brian Eno, Davy Jones
Elevation: Gwen Stefani, Daniel Lanois
Vertigo: Eddie Vedder, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Scialfa, Patti Smith, Exit, Menew, The Bankrobbers, Daniel Lanois, Brandon Flowers

Do we count Terry Lawless and Stuart Morgan (Adam's bass tech)?

norsehorse23 said:
Axver, where in NZ do you live?? I was there two years ago, what an awesome place!!! I hope you get to see them in Auckland. Are they playing at the big rugby stadium there?

Unfortunately, I don't live in New Zealand any more. :sad: I've lived in the Australian state of Queensland for the last eight years. I'm originally from a small town just north of Wellington. I'm definitely going to be travelling to Auckland, it's been my dream to see U2 in New Zealand - I honestly never thought they'd visit the country again. They aren't playing at the rugby union stadium, Eden Park; they're playing at Ericsson Stadium, which is where Auckland's rugby league team plays.

I hope you went to the South Island when in NZ - the scenery there is so amazingly beautiful.

Originally posted by Carmelu2fan
I though Public Enemy opened for them or was on the Zoo tour at some point

I don't think Public Enemy ever actually joined U2 on stage though, they just opened some ZooTV concerts.

Back
Top Bottom