Question about teenagers going alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're teenager has a U2 ticket, for the love of God, let them go. I know my parents were always good with letting me go to concerts at a young age, and I'm glad for it.

I was 15 when I went alone with a friend to see the ZooTv show. 17 is kinda old to still have to go places with a guardian, isn't it?

There was a group of 15/16 year old boys in front of me in Boston without an adult. They behaved better than the drunk college guys next to me too.

They should be fine. And they will :love: you for it and remember it the rest of their lives (they better!). You don't want them to look back and say 'U2 were here and I missed them cuz my Mom & Dad wouldn't let me go.'

Carpe Diem!

I've never actually gone alone but I've sat alone quite a few times, and I'd be perfectly happy to do GA alone. I'm 17.

I saw the Stones with just my 17 year old brother when I was 14!! (that was '82)

My 15 year old will be with me on 11-18, but I know he wishes he was going with the beautiful friend he took to Coldplay.

(That was great, by the way, in Nashville at Starwood. Shaun and his date had lawn seats, and his Mom and I had pavillion seats. Teens generally get embarassed when parents like us start singing along, dancing, crying.)

I'm 17 and did Boston no problem.
There are so many people they can't tell whose with who!

Well, I'm 21 and I went to Boston 2 alone... which had to do with me getting a ticket the day before.

But I've been going to concerts alone since I could drive, soemtimes without my parents knowing, most of the time with them knowing.

Also, of the 7 times I've seen Pearl Jam, my dad was there with me for 4 of them and I was not embarrassed at all, eventhough most of them were during my "embarrassed by my parents because I'm a teen phase."

Point being, teens should be able to go to concerts alone, unsupervised, UNLESS you intend to go with them as a FAN, not a GUARDIAN.

**EDIT** As an aside, my first concert ever was POPMart in Philly, and I went with my cousin and his then girlfriend (now wife) and it was cool because they were my cool cousins. So if you absolutely NEED someone to go with them, find someone who they can be comfortable going with. And give them money for a t-shirt, like my parents did!

U2dork said:
I was 15 when I went alone with a friend to see the ZooTv show. 17 is kinda old to still have to go places with a guardian, isn't it?

I'm 15 and I have to go with my mommy. :grumpy:

Nah, actually none of my friends would ever consider going with me and I'd hate to go completely alone, so it's not such a big deal. :wink:

I went to PopMart on my own, I was 16. My mom wasnt crazy about the idea... She was waiting for me outside but they let her in the stadium 20 min before the end of the show. She wanted to see what it was all about and check if there wasnt anything innapropriate... It turns out she was amazed at all the lights and huge stage! Moms are moms!

I've gone to concerts alone.. sure, now I'm 21, but going at 17,18, it's weird... especially STADIUM concerts... 70.000 people are A LOT

I've gone also to soccergames alone.. that's riskier... people get upset easylly... adn for a goal you got no one to hug... well, you do, but you feel weird hugging a stranger :D

rock on your own... it's about your heart and soul.. the rest isn't important

When I saw U2 this spring, I went with my friend, we were both 16, no problem.

Now we're both 17 and seeing them again in Cleveland, but this time we'll be waiting in the GA line all day in the freezing cold :drool:

Im 19 and drove down by myself, I just ended up chillin with all the great people that attend U2 shows, no worries.

VertigoGal said:

I'm 15 and I have to go with my mommy. :grumpy:

Nah, actually none of my friends would ever consider going with me and I'd hate to go completely alone, so it's not such a big deal. :wink:

I actually went to the first show with my dad. He absolutely hated it and was freaked out by Bono's excessive use of profanity - Bono was rather peppery that night. The flashing lights and weirdness of the show probably had something else to do with it. Rather than dealing with an endless stream of tears if I couldn't go to the next show, he just stayed home. :lol:

I will say that looking back, something I probably would NOT let my kids do if I were in his situation is let them skip school to hang out by the dome entrance all day waiting for the band. He also let us stay after the concert until the band left, around 1am. That was probably not the best parental decision ever made but fortunately, there were no creepy people there that night.

Lila64 said:
<not this Mom! I'm taking an 11 year old. To 2 shows. 1 GA!

Rocking Moms rule :rockon:

:no: How irresponsable..

LOL :wink: Just kidding...I think everybody who knows the trouble you went to to get that ticket for maddy is probably happy for you (But i do have to add that maddy seems like a very smart kid from what i have seen from the setlist parties, If we didnt know she was eleven I would not have known from the way she talks/writes).

...OK now rock on..

A friend and I went to Chicago by ourselves, and we're both 16. There was really no trouble... we just left the drunk people beside us alone! :wink:

The only bad thing was after the concert. We had to hang out for awhile to wait for our ride, and there were some pretty scary people around. Chicago at 12 am... not necessarily the best situation. We just stayed near the crowd and under street lamps, and we were fine.

Back
Top Bottom