Question about Cameras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Preditor74

Babyface
Hey there, so I am going to the Omaha show on Thursday night. I do not have a digital camera but have been looking at getting one so this would be a great time.

Anyways, I called the venue they are playing at, and they said cameras are ok. I then asked, "So pocketsized digital cameras are ok?" to which she replied "If they are recording devices, nope."

Now granted, the camera I am looking at getting does infact have a recording capability, but one of those short 30 seconds ones or something. Do they really check that and no allow something like that in?

Does the actual venue check it or does U2 have their own security patrol that checks these kinds of things. I am just afraid if I buy a camera now, they will not allow it in. I have no intention of recording, just snapping! :huh:

Preditor74 said:
Hey there, so I am going to the Omaha show on Thursday night. I do not have a digital camera but have been looking at getting one so this would be a great time.

Anyways, I called the venue they are playing at, and they said cameras are ok. I then asked, "So pocketsized digital cameras are ok?" to which she replied "If they are recording devices, nope."

Now granted, the camera I am looking at getting does infact have a recording capability, but one of those short 30 seconds ones or something. Do they really check that and no allow something like that in?

Does the actual venue check it or does U2 have their own security patrol that checks these kinds of things. I am just afraid if I buy a camera now, they will not allow it in. I have no intention of recording, just snapping! :huh:

no youll be fine

As long as it's not a professional-looking camera, you're fine. They don't check normal-looking digital cameras for video function. I've gotten some 30-second video clips of a few shows, and some folks have gotten some beautiful video clips.

Other camera & concert/security/line/etc. facts can be found here: http://forum.interference.com/t143113.html

I can't see where it would be a problem. Almost all digital cameras have recording capability, don't they?

If you're female, or are attending with a female, bury it at the bottom of a handbag, and throw some tampons on top. Security won't bother checking, then. That was my method of sneaking water in for all my shows. :wink:

VintagePunk said:
If you're female, or are attending with a female, bury it at the bottom of a handbag, and throw some tampons on top. Security won't bother checking, then. That was my method of sneaking water in for all my shows. :wink:

This works. I have a nice digital camera. It's no pro, but it's pretty big so I can't just stick it in a pocket or under my coat and not have anyone notice. I just put it in a purse or the camera case with a baggie of tampons over the top. Most places just have you open your purse. In Cleveland, they did feel, but didn't say anything. I've taken it into 7 shows so far. The only time I got in trouble was on the front rail in the ellipse in Detroit the security guy made me stop video taping Crumbs. I've never had any issues with taking pics though, but I never use a flash b/c it's so annoying to the band and the people around you. Besides, your pics turn out way better if you adjust the settings so you don't use the flash.

I recommend Canon or Nikon. They use the best quality parts and aren't any more expensive than Kodak, Sony, etc.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Besides, your pics turn out way better if you adjust the settings so you don't use the flash.

I recommend Canon or Nikon. They use the best quality parts and aren't any more expensive than Kodak, Sony, etc.

Which features are specifically necessary, and what settings work best? Thanks!

This works. I have a nice digital camera. It's no pro, but it's pretty big so I can't just stick it in a pocket or under my coat and not have anyone notice. I just put it in a purse or the camera case with a baggie of tampons over the top. Most places just have you open your purse. In Cleveland, they did feel, but didn't say anything. I've taken it into 7 shows so far. The only time I got in trouble was on the front rail in the ellipse in Detroit the security guy made me stop video taping Crumbs. I've never had any issues with taking pics though, but I never use a flash b/c it's so annoying to the band and the people around you. Besides, your pics turn out way better if you adjust the settings so you don't use the flash.

I am actually planning on purchasing a Canon Camera.
I am looking at the Canon Powershot A620 7.1MP camera.

Like I said, it takes video clips but I have no intention of doing that. So I shouldn't have a problem with this?

Also, I am going with a friend who is also a guy. Any tips on getting cameras in using only males :wink:

Ha! Who knew that tampons had more uses than plugging up holes in boats! :wink:

I watch way too much tv....

tryan101 said:

Which features are specifically necessary, and what settings work best? Thanks!

Any decent camera will have the necessary features, it's just a matter of manually adjusting them. For example, the ISO settings, F-stop, and shutter speed will effect how well the pics turn out. You want to let in enough light, but not too much or skin looked white/flushed (like using a flash close up) or darks/blacks start to get grainy. I typically keep my manual settings on ISO 200, F-stop whatever the lowest is (can't remember exactly), and 1/60 and then adjust each of the three from there depending on what effect I want.

I picked my camera because of the brand (Canon) and the 10x optical zoom :drool:

Preditor74 said:

Like I said, it takes video clips but I have no intention of doing that. So I shouldn't have a problem with this?

Also, I am going with a friend who is also a guy. Any tips on getting cameras in using only males :wink:

Honestly, most of the shows I've gone to, I've simply walked in with nothing but the camera over my shoulder and it wasn't a problem. Like I said, I have a large camera so it looks more suspicious than the basic point-and-shoots. I recommend any camera in the Canon PowerShot line. It just depends on what features you like. The 7.1MP is overkill for me because a 3.2MP will print an 8x11 photo and the higher the MP, the slower the camera is going to be and the more memory cards you need b/c those files are huge. Also, ignore digital zoom, it has no purpose and ruins pictures. Only pay attention to the optical zoom.

I can vouch for Canon since two of my friends of them, and love them!

I think I will go ahead and get my Canon today...I just hope the Qwest Center isn't too anal about the camera having a recording device on it.

I know the lady on the phone said it couldn't, but I pray to god it's not checked when I go in :(

I recommend any camera in the Canon PowerShot line. It just depends on what features you like. The 7.1MP is overkill for me because a 3.2MP will print an 8x11 photo and the higher the MP, the slower the camera is going to be and the more memory cards you need b/c those files are huge. Also, ignore digital zoom, it has no purpose and ruins pictures. Only pay attention to the optical zoom.

:up: :up: Definitely good advice! :yes:

so, if I could paraphrase/interpret. set ISO at least at 200, maybe 400, for quick capture (to avoid blurring). set f-stop at lowest to allow the more light in, and shutter speed quick enough so lens is held open only a short time to also avoid blurring. kind of correct?

Preditor74 said:
I can vouch for Canon since two of my friends of them, and love them!

I think I will go ahead and get my Canon today...I just hope the Qwest Center isn't too anal about the camera having a recording device on it.

I know the lady on the phone said it couldn't, but I pray to god it's not checked when I go in :(

Well, you can't really buy one that doesn't. And about half the cell phones do now too anyway. They always are more strict in writing and over the phone than they are when it comes down to it.

i guarantee you, if your camera just looks like a normal camera, they will let it in without checking anything

even if it is capable or recording some video, it will be fine

...but, I heard they gave April shit in Cleveland. She got in the door fine but at the last checkpoint to get in the ellipse, security made a stink about her camera (which is just a small Canon if I remember correctly).

...but, I heard they gave April shit in Cleveland. She got in the door fine but at the last checkpoint to get in the ellipse, security made a stink about her camera (which is just a small Canon if I remember correctly).

Yep, I passed through two sets of security with no problems till I got to the rent-a-cop at the entrance to the ellipse. I would have been the first person in but this jerk started to give me shit so eventually I stopped arguing and gave him my batteries (which I eventually got back once we told the security guards when we got inside the ellipse).

I think the problem is that venue security has no clue a lot of the time. It's hard to imagine they aren't being briefed that cameras are OK for this particular show, but...before the show in Cleveland, at least one of the security guys was telling a lot of people on the rail that if they took cameras out they would be confiscated. People argued with him and then like a half hour later a supervisor came by and clarified for his staff that only professional cameras were a problem.

Utoo said:
Ha! Who knew that tampons had more uses than plugging up holes in boats! :wink:

I watch way too much tv....

You'd be surprised. :sexywink:

I kept the camera in my bag as well, not because I was afraid of not being allowed to take it in, but as more of a preventative measure. I didn't want to waste precious time having to debate camera policy with an uninformed venue security person. Once I was in, I held it very openly, and I also filmed short video clips of up to two minutes from the outside rail or in the ellipse, and no one said a word to me out of 8 shows at three different venues.

Preditor74 said:

the a620 is just about THE best point and shoot camera in the Canon line these days... it is right up there with their G-series of cameras and is faster than the amazing G6.

I bought this camera specifically for my U2 show in Buffalo, but as many have heard because the GA line was inside, the security crew was right on top of everyone and kept on saying 'bring your cameras out to your car folks'... turns out cameras were allowed, but I didn't want my new camera confiscated so I didn't bring it in. But anyway, if you do bring your a620 in, could you let me see your shots as I REALLY want to see how this camera performs in a concert setting.

oh... and one more thing... with a little creativity with Dell coupons, you can get the a620 for about $269... or the 5MP a610 for a little over $200. a620 has an amazing macro for close up shots... look at my sig!

Last edited:
Preditor74 said:

They won't check you. I've been to three shows and one video shoot this year and the only time I got checked was at the video shoot where we all had to check our phones and cameras. Kinda like a coat check. Nobody will check to see what type of camera you have. Just don't bring some big assed camcorder.:laugh:

To be brutally honest, I've been to 16 concerts this year and the only time I haven't been patted down when I got there was at teh U2 shows. There seems to be a real trust going on between the band, the fans and the security.:cool:

I didn't bring my camera to the U2 show, but I did to another rock concert last week. It has a 12x zoom lens, and I was in the 3rd row. The band's bodyguard screamed at me twice to put the camera away, but he didn't care about others' pocket cameras. So, in general (not U2-specific), it seems like they draw the line at a certain size camera/lens as others have posted. I can confirm that :wink: .

u2wedge said:

the a620 is just about THE best point and shoot camera in the Canon line these days... it is right up there with their G-series of cameras and is faster than the amazing G6.

I bought this camera specifically for my U2 show in Buffalo, but as many have heard because the GA line was inside, the security crew was right on top of everyone and kept on saying 'bring your cameras out to your car folks'... turns out cameras were allowed, but I didn't want my new camera confiscated so I didn't bring it in. But anyway, if you do bring your a620 in, could you let me see your shots as I REALLY want to see how this camera performs in a concert setting.

oh... and one more thing... with a little creativity with Dell coupons, you can get the a620 for about $269... or the 5MP a610 for a little over $200. a620 has an amazing macro for close up shots... look at my sig!

Well I actually ended up going for the A610 since it was about $100 cheaper. I figured I wouldn't be printing any photos bigger than 8x10 so the need for the A620 was there. I love the A610...and I got a nice 1GB card to go with it. Hopefully I can get it in.

Do you think it would be better to try and sneek it in or just carry it normally in?

Preditor74 said:

Well I actually ended up going for the A610 since it was about $100 cheaper. I figured I wouldn't be printing any photos bigger than 8x10 so the need for the A620 was there. I love the A610...and I got a nice 1GB card to go with it. Hopefully I can get it in.

Do you think it would be better to try and sneek it in or just carry it normally in?

keep it in a case on your belt and wear a shirt that hangs over it... you'll be all set. if you're really nervous about it, put the case all the way around to the middle of your back... they'll never see it.

Or you can always wear slightly mor baggy trousers and crotch it between your legs. You can tie the camera strap (that small thing) around your belt buckle so it does not fall down your legs.

I did that. On the settings - get to a dark high ISO setting, and turn off the flash. If yu are really close, you might do some flash shots, but cover the flash with your fingers. Also, you are better off with a camera with a sports setting, they move a lot.

Finally, just one word of advice - it takes a hell of a lot of courage to take a close up oif Bono if he walks pass you and you are really close. I did that last weekend in Boston, and the pictures did not come out well - he was moving well too much and the first occasion. Just be prepared for this - it takes something to stick a small camera into his face!

Back
Top Bottom