Pyrotechnics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ruff :no:

Rumors get started when some hungover woman twist my words because she want me to be involved in yet another scandal :wink:

But I like the laser stuff and I'm not a guy :(

There is a tasteful way of using these techniques and then there's a cheesy, lame ass, throw everything in there approach, which is what I think of when I think of heavy metal hair bands. Obviously, I wouldn't put U2 in that category, despite their hair mistakes.

EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS

FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE

LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS

</testosterone>

There, now we can have a reasonable discussion again.

:wink:

Axver :shame: you forgot firecrackers

:Tiny firecracker noise in the corner:

Ok, done

Axver said:
EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS

FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE

LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS LASERS

</testosterone>

There, now we can have a reasonable discussion again.

:wink:

:huh: :lol: :laugh: :lmao:

no wait this is a testosterone thingy... (can't relate.. :giggle: )

men :heart:= :combust:

The only band that could ever pull off lasers was Pink Floyd. :drool:

WIPF583.jpg

And I think we need another one...(no lasers, but still infinitely cool)

WIPF588.jpg

I don't think I would care for pyrotechnics in U2 shows. I much prefer cool lighting, giant video screens, that sort of thing. I don't need 20 metre plumes of fire to enjoy a show.

just give me the music and i am happy ;)

hence one reason why i like the vertigo stage, not to much and not to little, just perfect combination of effects, video, and music

MTEdge said:
FWIW, U2 briefly used pyro's for the "boom-cha's" in Discotheque on the Popmart tour. In particular, they were used for the third Giants Stadium show, but not the second. (I wasn't at the first, so someone else may remember.)

I love this thread.

I was at this show and was sitting off to the side.

I saw the pyro wired before the show, and was curious as to how it was going to be used since I was sitting in the section directly next to it.

When the booms went off during discoteque I nearly lost my hearing (I waited to do that for this past tour - yes, my ears are still ringing and I am seeing a highly expensive acupuncturist once a week now - thanks Edge!)

I feel like U2 is not really the band to use pyro, unless it was done very creatively. I am not a fan of the Human Rights smoke, and even think that effect is somewhat cheesy, but I thought the fog during the Bullet / RTSS / Streets segway of ZOO was one of the most magical moments of any show I have ever been to (couple that with those helicopter sounds, and :drool:)

I think there was a clear effort NOT to use pyro on many of the tours (I am imagining the fire on the screens during Bullet ZOO indoor) but I feel there could be some places for it.

If it were me, I would have brought this show in another direction. I think there is room for some pyro in Love and Peace at the first hard riff. I do not think though that it has to only occur at the loud ‘bangs.’ I can imagine a ‘ring of fire’ effect around the ellipse during RTSS. I can imagine the band opening with One Step Closer with Bono solo and some smoke, or fire ringing the ellipse. I think there are ways of making Sunday Bloody Sunday a big song again.

There are tasteful ways of using pyro, and to be honest I think it would make for an interesting effect to make some of these songs stand out rather than hit after hit after…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom