Pre sale codes non transferable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's Tart

Refugee
Those of you trying to buy/get hold of pre sale codes for Hawaii this was on u2.com.

Question:
How can I get a pre-sale code??

Answer:
You should automatically receive a U2.com email with presale info if you are eligible:

1. You signed up before the 15 Nov. announcement of the Vertigo 2006 leg.

AND

2. You have never used a presale code before.

-----------------------------------------

Question:
Can I give my pre-sale code to someone else?
Can I sell my pre-sale code?
Can I use someone else's presale code?
Can I buy a presale code on eBay?

Answer:
When the Australian shows were announced many zootops wanted to offer their unused presale code to Australian fans.

The 'presale Amnesty list' (or something like that it was called) was started. This meant that zootops could transfer their presale code to another zootop.

This didn't work out as well as hoped for (abuse) and has not been repeated for other presales, and as far as I know, it will not be allowed for the Hawaii presale. (the ones in the 'Amnesty list' are fine, don't worry)

So, for this presale, presale codes are tied to membership, and can not be transfered. U2.com members selling their presale codes will be deleted from U2.com and the codes invalidated.

Be very careful before offering/accepting a presale code to/from someone. Inform yourself well, ask the moderators or U2.com. I know that in the past presale codes could be transfered, but things have been changed to avoid abuse, that's why I give this advice: inform yourself well.

If you want to help out another zootop, you can use your presale code, buy the maximum number of tickets in presale and sell it at face value to fellow zootops.

If you see presale codes on eBay, please inform the moderators/U2.com (with the presale code and link to the eBay page).

If these are really U2.com members (many will be fake) they will have their account deleted and the code invalidated.

This also means: don't buy a presale code on eBay.

-----------------------------------------

not sure how true this is, I have a pre sale code for this but its too far from the UK I'd be in the divorce courts!!

I call BS. I joined U2.com as one of the very first folks (before it was even live) and got my original presale password with all of the warnings, etc... the first day of presales, I had issues like everyone else, and ticketmaster ended up giving me about 15 passwords that worked to try and re-order. I saved them and used all the ones that worked later on, and ended up with 3-4 sets of tickets all shipped to me, at my same address. So TM doesn't check crap. The code lets you in the door, and then if you get tickets they could care less.

Chrisedge said:
I call BS. I joined U2.com as one of the very first folks (before it was even live) and got my original presale password with all of the warnings, etc... the first day of presales, I had issues like everyone else, and ticketmaster ended up giving me about 15 passwords that worked to try and re-order. I saved them and used all the ones that worked later on, and ended up with 3-4 sets of tickets all shipped to me, at my same address. So TM doesn't check crap. The code lets you in the door, and then if you get tickets they could care less.

Yep i pretty much have the same story. I got 4 different sets of tickets at the same addy with the same credit card number.

Just a thought: You suggest my mom, father, brother, sister, couldn't order tix for me?

Doubt it.

I agree with the 2 replies above: total crap. Dollar to a donut says anyone who wants to buy with presale codes can buy. Picture someone checking a list of thousands of people to make sure the purchaser name had a U2.com membership. What if my wife, for example, kept her maiden name and used my code? Good luck. I have never, ever, seen an order cancelled by TM. All the "delayed one week to check membership standing" is hype.

I know brokers who purchased (literally) 40 u2.com memberships. Now, do you really think they were all in the same name same credit card? Doubt it. Even if they were, I doubt U2/PM gave a crap. They got their $. They're happy enough that they sell out (and many venues...Denver, Detroit, Arizona come to mind) would not have sold out if it weren't for brokers hoarding tickets (and ultimately selling them for less than face).

If they really wanted to halt the after-market, they would make premium seats will-call only (like some presales overseas). So far, that doesn't seem to be happening here (Probably because TM USA, the brokers, the venues, and everyone else making a buck) won't go for it.

theedge111 said:

Yep i pretty much have the same story. I got 4 different sets of tickets at the same addy with the same credit card number.

I have been thinking about this all afternoon and agree. How in the world are they going to spend the time checking all this data? No freaking way! I joined U2/com early on and used my pre sale code for some expensive seats for the opening show. Then I had some problems with my account and called Fanfire and was on hold for over an hour each time. When I finally got a real person I was FUMING MAD.....they gave me another code which was a Propaganda code (I wasn't a Prop member) and that is what I used to get my Vegas GAs that got us into the elipse. They were stupid then to have done that.....I was only complaining about some other issues, not my presale code. The same thing happened to many others. They clearly were NOT prepared for the volume of callers, code problems, etc. So let's all hit em with the codes tomorrow and see what happens. Good luck everyone! :wink:

Quite frankly, I don't even think they know which codes are assigned to which people. It's usually just a random number generator/logarithm that produces these codes with a specific formula and them arbitrarily assigns them to people. my bet is, if someone cracked the code, they could do 1000 presale purchases.

bfloxng said:
Just a thought: You suggest my mom, father, brother, sister, couldn't order tix for me?

Doubt it.

I agree with the 2 replies above: total crap. Dollar to a donut says anyone who wants to buy with presale codes can buy. Picture someone checking a list of thousands of people to make sure the purchaser name had a U2.com membership. What if my wife, for example, kept her maiden name and used my code? Good luck. I have never, ever, seen an order cancelled by TM. All the "delayed one week to check membership standing" is hype.

I know brokers who purchased (literally) 40 u2.com memberships. Now, do you really think they were all in the same name same credit card? Doubt it. Even if they were, I doubt U2/PM gave a crap. They got their $. They're happy enough that they sell out (and many venues...Denver, Detroit, Arizona come to mind) would not have sold out if it weren't for brokers hoarding tickets (and ultimately selling them for less than face).

If they really wanted to halt the after-market, they would make premium seats will-call only (like some presales overseas). So far, that doesn't seem to be happening here (Probably because TM USA, the brokers, the venues, and everyone else making a buck) won't go for it.

Excellent and informative post. FWIW, I totally agree. (I've never heard of the "Dollar to a donut" line before! :lol: )

Editted to say:

You suck for posting the ruse Hawaii on TM now thread!! I almost had the same hyperventilating reaction as the April Fool's Day, "MSG MAY 21 GA's available on TM now!!!" :wink:

Last edited:
bfloxng said:
Quite frankly, I don't even think they know which codes are assigned to which people. It's usually just a random number generator/logarithm that produces these codes with a specific formula and them arbitrarily assigns them to people. my bet is, if someone cracked the code, they could do 1000 presale purchases.

I believe it's random generated, and U2 sends these numbers to TM --- who sends the used codes back to U2, that removes it from the database for future pre-sales.

If it's right, we have around 1.840.000.000 possible codes, and of course not all of them will be accepted by Ticketmaster.

MTEdge said:

You suck for posting the ruse Hawaii on TM now thread!! I almost had the same hyperventilating reaction as the April Fool's Day, "MSG MAY 21 GA's available on TM now!!!" :wink:

:yes:

:mad:

And I am using a friend of a friend's code today, so *crossesfingers*

bfloxng said:

don't you have any work to do today????:eyebrow:

Have we not established that I rock at multitasking?

And some dude from Buffalo has PMed me like 20 times today :mad:

I used someone else's code today and it worked so yes, they are not reading the name on the account with the name attached to the presale code.

Miroslava said:

:yes:

:mad:

And I am using a friend of a friend's code today, so *crossesfingers*

Hehehe Miro I hope we faked em out! I think it's gonna work fine. No way they can take the time to check every one of those codes to make sure the proper owner used it for their own ticket purchase. NO WAY I SAY! :rockon:

bfloxng said:

Doubt it.

Good for you but you wouldnt have done it in the UK because TM checked every single transactions
here it was 4 TICKETS PERPERSON.CREDIT CARD/ADDRESS FOR ONE GIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I have just stated this was picked up from another site its not my personal opinion!.:banghead: :sigh:

Bono's Tart said:

Good for you but you wouldnt have done it in the UK because TM checked every single transactions
here it was 4 TICKETS PERPERSON.CREDIT CARD/ADDRESS FOR ONE GIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I have just stated this was picked up from another site its not my personal opinion!.:banghead: :sigh:

They are able to do that.

For zootv, not involving presale codes but ticketmaster did check credit cards/addresses. I had an order cancelled.

It was strictly 2 tickets per person and they followed through.

I hope everybody does get what they ordered though just saying I'd wait to see what you get.

This is also on u2.com

U2// Vertigo 2006 Tour// Hawaii Pre-Sale

Please read the following carefully before buying your tickets.

1. Which shows are included in this week’s pre-sale?

April 8, 2005 - Aloha Stadium - Honolulu, HI.

2. Will there be more pre-sales?

Each group of shows will have their own presale. There will be more presales, but the presale beginning this Tuesday is the only one for the dates in Hawaii.

3. How many tickets can I buy?

Your unique code will enable you to buy up to FOUR tickets for any ONE SHOW. You cannot buy tickets for more than one show. Bookings that exceed this Ticket Limit may be cancelled without further notification. Please note that multiple orders purchase with the same credit card may be cancelled regardless of how many authorized codes were used.

TM is watching you!!

and TM Site

Note: Tickets may not be available in all price levels and sections.

Ticket Limit
There is a 4 ticket limit per household for both the Fan Club Member Presale and the Public on sale.

Please adhere to published ticket limits. Persons who exceed the ticket limit may have any or all of their orders and tickets cancelled without notice by Ticketmaster in its discretion. This includes orders associated with the same name, email address, billing address, credit card number or other information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom