Post U2 Concert Depression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abomb-baby

The Fly
Without sounding like an ungreatful twit, I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing a slight case of the Blues now that the band has performed in their town and they won't be seeing anymore shows? Its like the highlight of my year has come and gone and all there is left to do is reflect!:(

I know many ppl aren't going to get to go to ANY shows so please don't get me wrong. I consider myself lucky!!:bow:

I guess this is the one positive about not seeing them until Leg 3... a lot of time to bask in the anticipation of those shows. Although, the depression will probably be 10x worse afterward.

Quick and painless is sometimes better.

Yep... it's a well-documented condition: tour withdrawal.

And the only cure is Blue Crack. :)

Seriously, I experienced the same thing after Elevation... in fact, it never really went away, just got a little less... these are definitely experiences you will remember forever... and nothing will ever match them! But think of the good time you had and take pleasure in sharing that with other fans here on the board! :)

My friend and I seriously thought we were a bit insane that I was depressed after the concert I went to in LA a few weeks back. I only had tickets to one show, and it was my first. We had an AMAZING time, and it was seriously a major highlight of my young life... I had been looking forward to that concert for a good 4 years (we were unable to go to Elevation) and the fact that it was over in two hours made me very sad!

Fortunately enough for me, I scored regular seats and GA's (First ever!!!) to their two Las Vegas shows because I just HAD to see them again (tickets went on sale the weekend after the concert)... I would still be very depressed if I hadn't gotten those! I know I'll be sad after those two concerts in November, however...

(Don't mean to brag - just goes to show how badly I didn't want the experience to end...)

Gah and I thought I was the only one!! Glad to know I am not!!!
This was my first concert. And I had a BLAST!!!! Way too much fun. Then to have to come back to regular life.... Ahhh.....
What to do with myself!!! :sad:

If I could be you guys who went to the concert, I would gladly have post concert depression, I cried my eyes out their last LA show knowing I wasn't there.

It hasn't been so bad for me this tour but I was a mess after my first Elevation show. It was such a high, I couldn't quite adjust to real life for a while afterward. I was really depressed but I eventually came back to reality and realized that dishes still had to be washed and bills had to be paid, despite my dreams of running away to see U2 all over the world! :sigh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm still depressed that the War Tour is over.

What the hell is wrong with me.

The only cure for this predicament is by making every effort to see them as many times as possible over the next eight months while they are still somewhat nearby.

Next year, they might be in far off Australia or Japan, but maybe they'll do shows in Mexico again, who knows.

Work overtime and save all your extra money and travel wherever you can to see them... you won't regret it.

The point is, try to see as many shows between now and Christmas, and maybe you'll eventually burn out on this tour.

I saw them seven times on the Joshua Tree tour, and had a great time at all of them, but I was content and satisfied that I'd seen enough of them for awhile after that last show in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Saw them twice this month in San Jose, have GAs for the two Oakland shows and the finale in Portland, now trying to snag some for the two Vegas shows (which everyone seems to want).

Seven Vertigo shows within eight months should prevent any post-tour depression I might experience after December 19, I hope.

On the other hand, I am currently trying to make friends with U2 fans in Oz and Japan, in case the jones returns next year.

I still can't believe I missed the Lovetown Tour, crap.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's very common, and I think that's partly why so many of us end up seeing them many times, because you just want to keep the 'high' going. For Elevation, I had planned to see 3 or 4 shows, and I ended up seeing 10. I just couldn't stop.:wink:

When I saw PopMart, it was my first U2 concert, and I was just getting into them. I sort of went as a casual fan and came back totally hooked. I remember the next day I was completely depressed, and spent the whole day at home by myself listening to U2 and reading reviews of the show and being overtly emotional about the whole thing.

I had never felt like this after a concert, so I knew something was up. I knew something had changed and that this band would be very important in my life from that point on.

wanna hear weird depression? I have seen five shows, and have five to go... and I am depressed my experience is half-way over! This just goes to show that no matter how much you get, it's still not enough.

It hasn't even been 24 hours since Seattle 2 ended and already I feel in a funk. I've even got tickets to MSG in October, but just nosebleeds, which aren't exactly the same as my primo GA spot last night. How does one get over this feeling?? Even listening to the CDs don't satisfy me. :sad:

Last tour, I was on such a high after the first DC concert that I talked my coworkers into going to DC 2 with me that night. Fantastic tickets miraculously appeared on ticketmaster so I figured that was a sign that I was allowed to keep the high going a bit longer. Post-concert depression settled in after, but it was lessened because the second show was such an unexpected treat.

Of course this time I've planned ahead and already have tickets to both DC shows (as well as one of the Philly shows coming up) so I'm going to have to find a new way to lessen the blow this time around. I won't be able to travel in the fall, so I'm kind of hoping they'll be somewhere fun next spring. Mexico would be great!

I was so bummed after Phoenix2 (which was amazing) that I bought Seattle tickets the Friday before the Sunday show and flew basically all the way across the country. I'm SO GLAD I did. After Chicago I won't see another show till October. The comedown is a bitch :(

BassTrap - Note the color of the forum. See all the blue. Pretty blue. Pretty Blue Crack.

I was MASSIVELY depressed after Phoenix2, but I think part of that was my inability to get Ticketmaster to cough up tickets to the second Las Vegas show. Then I discovered Blue Crack, and live recordings. I work with a couple of U2 fans who know nothing about bootlegs, torrents and converting files to CD format, so it cheers me up quite a bit to be able to present them with CDs of the concerts. Sharing my interests with others really helps to lighten my mood.

Bono's American Wife said:
It hasn't been so bad for me this tour but I was a mess after my first Elevation show. It was such a high, I couldn't quite adjust to real life for a while afterward. I was really depressed but I eventually came back to reality and realized that dishes still had to be washed and bills had to be paid, despite my dreams of running away to see U2 all over the world! :sigh: :laugh:

I feel that way about every tour, although I missed them most of the 80s (though I did see the War tour at the L.A. Sports Arena!). But I feel just like the rest of you, and the only other people who understand U2 fans are other U2 fans. I don't do dishes :giggle:, but those damn bills. I keep meaning to pay them. Maybe tomorrow? Um, no, the carnival will be in town. :hmm: Maybe all of us S.Calif. fans should pool our money and buy many lotto tickets. If we win, we all get GAs or great seats and tour with the band. :yes: And life would be grand. And U2 burnout? Ha - Never!!!

Oh, and I still need 3rd leg L.A. tickets if anyone can help...

Damn this blue crack. I must face it. I'm an addict. That's the first step, right? Admission? :scratch: :shh:

I have the depression as well. Saw a great show (Denver 4/20) and an INCREDIBLE show (Denver 4/21) last week and I feel the same way I did after shows in the last two tours - like something is missing. It is a minor, non-debilitating depression. I am actually going to the Philly show on the 14th, but it is the (slightly) inferior first night setlist, so at least I have something to look forward to.
A little pissed that the closest they are coming to Denver on the third leg is Omaha (Omaha? give me a break...), but I would not be surprised if they throw a Denver gig in there somewhere. The best way to see shows is definitely on consecutive nights, for comparisons and to be able to avoid the mini-depression following the first show.

God, yeah, all the time!
I remember crying after their Calgary shows back in April 2001 because I knew it would be a long *4* months until I saw them again...

I agree with the poster who said to try, when possible, to see them as often as possible, to the point of saturation.
I ended up doing that for Elevation and am doing that for this tour as well.

I consider myself very, very fortunate to be in North America because I couldn't imagine being one of those poor souls who couldn't see them at all...

ladywithspinninghead said:

I consider myself very, very fortunate to be in North America because I couldn't imagine being one of those poor souls who couldn't see them at all...

Thank you!
If you're depressed cos you haven't seen them for 4 days/weeks/months/years, just think of us sad bastards who haven't had U2 anywhere our fucking hemisphere, since:

1997!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AND they'll get here God knows when! :rant:

I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like for South East Asia, Africa and other places they've NEVER been.

OK, rant over, carry on. :)

Sken said:
I'm still suffering from post ZooTV depression.

I was just about to say that. I think about that night and I get all excited...and then I remember it was thirteen years ago, and I get all depressed.

I'm not looking forward to the post-Chicago blues. :(

and then I remember it was thirteen years ago, and I get all depressed
Hard to believe it was that long ago. Probably the one concert I remember vividly, moreso than Popmart and Elevation.

I'm glad Vertigo is getting some excellent reviews. By the time they hit Chicago they will definately be in full flight. Just glad we are getting bootlegs so quickly. It definately eases the pain.

Sken said:

Hard to believe it was that long ago. Probably the one concert I remember vividly, moreso than Popmart and Elevation.

I'm glad Vertigo is getting some excellent reviews. By the time they hit Chicago they will definately be in full flight. Just glad we are getting bootlegs so quickly. It definately eases the pain.

I'm the same way...I remember the Zoo show much clearer than the Popmart and Elevation shows I saw.

And yes, bootlegs are definitely helping. :yes:

I'm still bummed I didn't get to see any Elevation shows. I'm also kind of bummed U2 is only going to play in Ohio once. Oh well at least I got tickets , this time around.

i thought i would only be seeing them once on this tour - SD 1. then i find out my sister-in-law works for the ceo of sony, and she got me tickets to phoenix 2. GREAT tickets. then i managed to get tickets for BOTH las vegas shows.

i'm psyched, i've been extremely lucky - but i will actually be glad when the tour is over.

my credit card can't take much more of this. :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom