Place your bets - What will U2 play for Live 8???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
O.K. fellow U2'ers I wanna know...
What will U2 play for Live 8 (or Live Aid 2).
I'm guessing they'll have at least 2 songs (like the first one) but because they're playing earlier in the day they may get more time. What songs will us and the rest of the world hear???
I'm placing my bets on...
City Of Blinding Lights (just because it's the latest single - whatever - this one I don't care about - all I really want to hear is...)
and
Bad (15 minute all encompassing version)
There you go - you know mine - now what about your's????

One makes sense in that context (imho) to promote the one campaign
Love and Peace it's got great energy and doesn't rely on other special effects in the staging as much as COBL does
Bad because it kicks ***

Hope they get to do more than 2 songs::hyper:

I read somewhere that they were playing two (?) songs (not their own) with Paul McCartney, and that One was the only one of their own songs they were playing . . . can't remember where I read this . . .

Oh God NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As much as I like the Beatles and even some of Sir Paul's early solo stuff that would be CRIMINAL to force U2 to play some schmaltz with McCartney - God I hope that's not true. Now that I have my sanity back this would NEVER happen. U2 will be "allowed" to play whatever the fuck they want - they may choose to do one song with McCartney but they WILL play as a band as well.

broker said:
I read somewhere that they were playing two (?) songs (not their own) with Paul McCartney, and that One was the only one of their own songs they were playing . . . can't remember where I read this . . .

I can't believe this is true. There's no way U2 would only be allowed to play only one of their own songs. What would be the sense of all four members going if that were true?

Anyway, here's my guess as to what they play:

Streets
One
Bad

They shouldn't play One, its been played to death at every benefit gig for the past 14 years. They will probably have 20 minutes to play. I'd guess

Vertigo will definatly get played
Maybe SYCMIOYO
Maybe Bad for old times sake
Pride, like at the special Olympics?

IMO they should just rock out, throw some heavy stuff into the mix...Vertigo, Fly, ABOY, LAPOE. If i was U2 that's what I'd play :wink:

Achtung Ya'll said:
Hopefully not anything from the latest album except maybe Love and Peace Or Else or Crumbs. But please nothing else.

I agree. U2 should not be using this concert as another way of plugging their latest single. So please, no COBL.

Bad certainly seems like a given.

They should play Pride since they never got a chance to play it at the first Live Aid!

My guess is

COBL
Bad

possibly One

I'm looking forward to Bad (assuming they play it), it's a great song, and imo, it sounds much better these days than it did at LiveAid. I mean that was a breakthrough for the band, but it wasn't one of their top performances of it, personally.

anyway, I hope they don't do a combo w/ P McCartney. I have nothing against him and I like the Beatles and all, but I just can't see them performing together. At all.

I was just thinking...it might not work out for them to play CoBL, even though I'm sure they'd love to promote the new single. Thing is, they're playing early in the day. So, how are they gonna sing "oh you look so beautiful tonight" in the heat of the day?

aren't i such an analytical thinker...the things I ponder in my spare time...

I don't think they will repeat themselves and play Bad again. How could they ever top the 1985 performance? My guess is:

Crumbs From Your Table (the lyrics are perfect for this event)
Pride
One
Vertigo

They are going to open the show with Paul McCartney and they will play Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

"It was 20 years ago today......" is a referance to Live Aid.

If they only get one song, than it almost has to be One.

If they play early, they may get more...Pride.

U2girl said:
If they only get one song, than it almost has to be One.

If they play early, they may get more...Pride.

Agreed....One and Pride with Vertigo maybe slipping in.

Boozyuzi said:
They are going to open the show with Paul McCartney and they will play Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

"It was 20 years ago today......" is a referance to Live Aid.

I heard that this was in the plans on Virgin Radio...

Jim said:

I heard that this was in the plans on Virgin Radio...

Neil McCormick was just on TV talking about this. He said that U2 and Paul McCartney will open with Sergent Pepper.

Many more acts will be announced over the coming weeks..

Of course the question on ALL of your minds is: "Will the Spice Girls reform?!"

Back
Top Bottom