Place your bets - What will U2 play for Live 8???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe they'll go with the way they ended the London broadcast in '85, by reprising "Do They Know It's Christmas?" in Full singalong style?

Sneakily tho, I'd love to see U2 bring it all to a close on their own...but then, I'm just greedy for U2 :wink:

It didn't hit me until just now that U2 will be performing with Paul McCartney. I don't care how crappy Paul McCartney's post-Beatles output has been - he was still a Beatle and they are going to do Sgt. Pepper together! :drool: :drool: :drool:

LOL at numb - peopel will be thinking WHAT THE FECK! Just like originally did.

I dont think you will be getting Crumbs either - they havent played it yet and at the end of the day I dont think much of the audience will be listening to the lyrics of a song most have never heard anyway.

Bad and One it has to be!

And they are playing in Vienna later that night.

It would be good to see them do 4 or 5 songs but 3 may be the most.

Spice Girls - would make me wnat to go - I wouldnt go just for a short U2 slot...but the Spice Girls....a band bigger and more important than U2 :D

I'm pretty sure they won't do "Bad" -- at least not a full band version of it (Bono could drop in an allusion or two) -- what happened to "celebrate the future"? There's no way they could top the 85 version, and I'm not sure they would, preferring to let the memory of that one stand rather than try to top it.

Playing the Africa suite would be the easiest and most appropriate thing they could do -- akin to playing the political suite from Pop at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in 97, with a tacked on One (which would be where he could drop in the Bad allusion).

Last edited:
Paul McCartney sucks. I hope they play more than 2 actual U2 songs. i mean they have to be a huge draw considering how moving they were at the last one......

My money is on....

"One" - Played to death at benefits...but I guess this is fitting to support the "One" Campaign.

"Crumbs" - Making its worldwide live debut!!! They were really jamming to this one on the HTDAAB bonus DVD! Very fitting lyrics as well.

....and if there is a 3rd song:

"Streets" - This song sums up Bono's feelings about Mother Africa.

Wish me luck....I'm off to Vegas now! :wink:

scottyT said:
Paul McCartney sucks. I hope they play more than 2 actual U2 songs. i mean they have to be a huge draw considering how moving they were at the last one......

Thats what I hope. That PM fecks off after St pepper so he doesn't ruin any U2 songs, now if it was John Lennon that would be different..........
I think they should play one, streets and Sometimes could become the Bad of live 8!!

Trampolene said:

Thats what I hope. That PM fecks off after St pepper so he doesn't ruin any U2 songs, now if it was John Lennon that would be different..........
I think they should play one, streets and Sometimes could become the Bad of live 8!!

OMG, how old are you? Noone over the age of 5 would speak like this about Paul McCartney unless they were complete and utterly brainless.

i'm 27, and Paul McCartney has had his great moments, and they are pleasant. but seriously the beatles were and are overrated, and his solo stuff is lacking.

however.... he has had some kickass songs.....

i just think he's massively overrated, and i would hate to see U2's stage time wasted by doing lots of duets with Paul.

if they do a few, that's nice and fine and all.... but hopefully it won't affect their total stage time.

i'd love to see them do live and let die (although that would be horribly inappropriate, maybe at another time).

so maybe it'll just open with the duet, and he'll walk off and rest for his set....

- Where The Streets Have No Name (well it was written in Africa and for Africa, if this one is done it will probably have the African flags and African chanting and all, it would fit great in my opinion and it's the perect song to start this)
- Crumbs From Your Table (the best song from the new album for this benefit)
- One (the classic and beautiful bitter-sweet U2 song)

I don't know how many songs they can play but if they can play one more song I think they could play Pride after Streets.
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Pride
- Crumbs From Your Table
- One

That would be a very powerful set! :drool:

Last edited:
nathan1977 said:
I'm pretty sure they won't do "Bad" -- at least not a full band version of it (Bono could drop in an allusion or two) -- what happened to "celebrate the future"? There's no way they could top the 85 version, and I'm not sure they would, preferring to let the memory of that one stand rather than try to top it.

my exact thoughts, its history and let it be...

well... after going thru 5 pages of posts, I'm more confused about what to choose. With such a large bill - maybe they get a half hour at most, right? If they do open with McCartney and 'Sgt. Pepper', do they go straight into 'With A Little Help From My Friends'? :hmm: I think Vertigo would really get the crowd going, perhaps into Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, and Imagine. Sure, I'd love Bad, but don't know if they'll do it again. Can you just see U2 carrying the torch from Lennon and spreading the message:

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

I just love that song, and would love to hear U2 perform it. Be it here, there, or anywhere for that matter (pun intended). I think it's one of my favorite all time songs :love:

I hope they open the concert (as they have to fly back to Vienna )
And the best thing they can do is open with Streets, then something from the last album perhaps Vertigo (at least one rock song in the set) and then close with One..
That would be ideal..

Pride- In The Name of Love an obvious song for such a cause.

Streets- With Live 8 raising money for Africa this would be the perfect song.

One- With the One Campaign it'd be the most fitting song.

They're my picks. :wink:

Sgt. Peppers
Vertigo
Numb
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love And Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
One
Crumbs
Original of the Species
All Because of You
Running to Stand Still
Streets
Bad (45 Minute Performance)

Encore:
Vertigo (Ginger Spice on vocals, Larry on bass, Adam on keyboards, Mccartney on drums, Roger Waters on tambourine, David Gilmour on flute, Edge on harmonica, Mick Jagger on trumpet and on Baby Spice, Bono on triangle):wink:

Last edited:
Infinitum98 said:
Sgt. Peppers
Vertigo
Numb
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love And Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
One
Crumbs
Original of the Species
All Because of You
Running to Stand Still
Streets

Encore:
Vertigo (Ginger Spice on vocals, Larry on bass, Adam on keyboards, Mccartney on drums, Roger Waters on tambourine, David Gilmour on flute, Edge on harmonica, Mick Jagger on trumpet and on Baby Spice, Bono on triangle):wink:

:lol:

U2 is doing Sgt. Pepper's with Paul McCartney? That is so fucking boss!! I don't get why people are complaining...? :huh:

I think U2 could top the '85 version of Bad easily...yeah it was damn good, but imo the song has only gotten better as it has gone on, the version they played at Chicago 1 was one of their best ever (but maybe I'm just biased 'cause I was there? :D)

The Pride-->Streets-->One thing seems like the perfect choice for such an event, but maybe they will mix things up like people have said and play Crumbs, that would be so awesome!! If there's anything from the new album it will probably be Crumbs or Miracle Drug, Vertigo doesn't really fit imo. Beautiful Day could totally be played...

But I'm placing my bets on Mofo/Numb/Lemon/Heartland/One Tree Hill/Exit/Acrobat :)

McCartney cheesy? I'm pretty sure he never did a karaoke version of a Monkey's song at any of his concerts.

The Official Confirmed U2 Live 8 Setlist
(Courtesy u2-bullshit-tour.com)

1. Zooropa
2. Acrobat
3. Always
<insert "dream out loud" speech>
4. One
5. Two Hearts Beat As One
6. The Three Sunrises
7. Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad --> Back 2 Good (Matchbox 20 cover)
8. Metropolis Part I: The Miracle And The Sleeper (Dream Theatre cover)
9. Rejoice
10. With A Shout
11. A Celebration
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Another Day
14. Beautiful Day
15. Dirty Day
16. The Wanderer (with Elvis and Johnny Cash impersonators)

Encore
17. Stranger In A Strange Land
18. Drowning Man
19. Elvis Presley And America
20. Red Hill Mining Town
21. Heartland
22. Grace
23. Is That All?
24. 40

Infinitum98 said:
Sgt. Peppers
Vertigo
Numb
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love And Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
One
Crumbs
Original of the Species
All Because of You
Running to Stand Still
Streets

Encore:

bit short dont ya think...

Axver said:
The Official Confirmed U2 Live 8 Setlist
(Courtesy u2-bullshit-tour.com)

1. Zooropa
2. Acrobat
3. Always
<insert "dream out loud" speech>
4. One
5. Two Hearts Beat As One
6. The Three Sunrises
7. Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad --> Back 2 Good (Matchbox 20 cover)
8. Metropolis Part I: The Miracle And The Sleeper (Dream Theatre cover)
9. Rejoice
10. With A Shout
11. A Celebration
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Another Day
14. Beautiful Day
15. Dirty Day
16. The Wanderer (with Elvis and Johnny Cash impersonators)

Encore
17. Stranger In A Strange Land
18. Drowning Man
19. Elvis Presley And America
20. Red Hill Mining Town
21. Heartland
22. Grace
23. Is That All?
24. 40

WHERE IS THE POP??? :grumpy: and you forgot "Some Days Are Better Than Others" after Dirty Day. DUH. And New Year's Day before Sunday Bloody Sunday. And a cover of Day Tripper with Paul McCartney :drool:

Hey, anyone know who else is gonna play at Live 8?

AtomicBono said:

WHERE IS THE POP??? :grumpy: and you forgot "Some Days Are Better Than Others" after Dirty Day. DUH. And New Year's Day before Sunday Bloody Sunday. And a cover of Day Tripper with Paul McCartney :drool:

Edge drank the pop. </lame>

Hey, anyone know who else is gonna play at Live 8?

Me. I'm coming out to do a hard-rocking cover of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom