Pissed off, but heres the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think it's necessarily this album, but more of the fact that u2 have been around for so goddamn long.

plenty of people go to shows and don't know the stuff off the albums. the only people around here i know who've seen u2 own maybe 2 or 3 albums, and didn't know about HTDAAB until a couple weeks after it was released.

IWasBored said:
i don't think it's necessarily this album, but more of the fact that u2 have been around for so goddamn long.

plenty of people go to shows and don't know the stuff off the albums. the only people around here i know who've seen u2 own maybe 2 or 3 albums, and didn't know about HTDAAB until a couple weeks after it was released.

Um, HTDAATB has sold more copies over the past 9 weeks than either Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby did in their first 9 weeks! The album is now slowing down a bit in sales, but so far its been the fastest selling U2 album EVER in virtually every market around the world!

I had two dozen friends today who are die hard U2 fans and have seen every tour for the past 15 years try to get tickets. Only 1 person actually got a ticket today!

I've never seen anything like that happen EVER for any artist at any time! People in line at a Ticketmaster outlet near me were told at 10:01 that there were no more tickets available!

If you're tuned into what's popular, you're going to hear about it and many people just want tickets because everyone else they know does. Plus there is also going to be the nostalgia thing going ("Oh wow, I remember U2! Let's go see them!), so that will also help ticket sales. These factors are in addition to te rabid U2 fans.

But for many other people (like me about many things -- for instance, I never know when the Super Bowl or World Series are going on because I just don't give a damn), aren't even aware of what so many people here are working themselves into a lather over. It's actually interesting to see it (well, for me anyway, 'cause I know I'm not going to see them and I'm fine with that...so I can look at it as a bit of an inside outsider, if that makes any sense.)

STING2 said:

Um, HTDAATB has sold more copies over the past 9 weeks than either Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby did in their first 9 weeks! The album is now slowing down a bit in sales, but so far its been the fastest selling U2 album EVER in virtually every market around the world!

I had two dozen friends today who are die hard U2 fans and have seen every tour for the past 15 years try to get tickets. Only 1 person actually got a ticket today!

I've never seen anything like that happen EVER for any artist at any time! People in line at a Ticketmaster outlet near me were told at 10:01 that there were no more tickets available!

If I wasn't on this board I wouldn't know anything about their tour at all. I would have seen that they had an album out, but I don't really read/watch a lot of entertainment news stuff, so even that wouldn't have made a big impression.

But for the rabid fans the internet has made more people aware of such things, so many who are very interested all know exactly when to check for tickets.

Once the tour starts the cd will rise up the charts again, and there's also always a whole bunch of people who are "jump on the band wagon" people who have to have what's "in." U2 are "in."

people are starved for rock and roll, there is hardly any in the U.S. anymore, and certainly hardly any on radio or the Billboards, it's all hip hop and rap.

We want some rock and roll, and nobody does it better than U2.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

It's amazing how fast HTDAATB has been selling. This may be their biggest tour ever. They've been piling up fans more and more over the years (different generations), and the new CD seems to be helping a lot. Like somebody else said people are starved for rock 'n roll and a good live show.

The album sold because of reputation more than the sheer quality of it. Last tour U2 re-rocketed back to the stratosphere and this time around everyone who passed on Elevation wasnt going to miss this tour.

This album and tour are so popular based on reputation alone. Not knocking the album, but U2 went to another place with Elevation, everyone and their mother want to see them now.

bonosleftone said:
The album sold because of reputation more than the sheer quality of it. Last tour U2 re-rocketed back to the stratosphere and this time around everyone who passed on Elevation wasnt going to miss this tour.

This album and tour are so popular based on reputation alone. Not knocking the album, but U2 went to another place with Elevation, everyone and their mother want to see them now.

Many of the big critics consider "BOMB" to be the best album ever, and although I place it at #3 and not #1, I understand why they think it is the best U2 album ever. Only the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby or better than the "BOMB" in my opinion.

indra said:

If I wasn't on this board I wouldn't know anything about their tour at all. I would have seen that they had an album out, but I don't really read/watch a lot of entertainment news stuff, so even that wouldn't have made a big impression.

But for the rabid fans the internet has made more people aware of such things, so many who are very interested all know exactly when to check for tickets.

Well, Vertigo has topped all the rock airplay charts, you had the I-POD commercials, and there was some big media about it this week because EVEN my father new tickets were going on sale this Saturday!

In fact, the only thing missing for the past mania is MTV. MTV doesn't really do the music thing anymore.

Do none of you remember POPMART? This tour is not selling like this due to "because it's U2"? U2 had Zoo TV and two of their most popular albums under their belt before POP came out, according to the "because it's U2" speculation POPMART should have been just as huge as Zoo TV or Elevation and it just plain wasn't. I love Pop but it wasn't a huge commercial success.

POPMart was a different beast a lot of casual fans were turned off by the monstrosity of it. The success of Elevation and ATYCLB has pushed this album and tour to the forefront, Elevation was the comeback, this is the harder push to the top.

STING2 said:

my mistake. i don't give a rat's ass about sales.

Dalton said:
HOW MASSIVE IS THIS ALBUM.

I have never seen tickets go this fast.....

The Rolling Stones still get massive audiences and their albums are crap and don't sell well.

There is also the fact that there are less dates for people to fight for tickets over. Chicago is the closest place for most people in the midwest. The people that live in the south have to scramble to get tickets in the northeast. So it's too many people and not enough locations. It's not a complaint... just a thought :)

STING2 said:

Well, Vertigo has topped all the rock airplay charts, you had the I-POD commercials, and there was some big media about it this week because EVEN my father new tickets were going on sale this Saturday!

In fact, the only thing missing for the past mania is MTV. MTV doesn't really do the music thing anymore.

Yeah, but I don't listen to radio (NPR occasionally, but that's it) or watch much TV (and have never watched MTV -- maybe for a few minutes at friends houses when it first started, but I never cared for it), so I'm mostly oblivious to the normal media channels.

The comment about your Dad made me laugh... My mom knew when and where The Church was playing, and many of their songs, and could recognize their lead singer's speaking voice (and knew waaaay to many of the saucy stories about him :ohmy: ...all because her daughter is a harecore fan. Oh the joys of parenthood.... :wink:

And I'm sure she knew waaay too much about U2 and it's respective members several years ago when I was entirely too obsessed with them too.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom