Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with the Eurigo show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the thing that makes these outdoor gigs expensive is the labor and transportation costs. We're talking about a whole bunch of 18-wheelers and the diesel to feed them, plus the set-up and tear-down labor in what likely will be high-labor-cost cities. It therefore might be sensible for U2 to set the staging up and let it ride for 2 or 3 nights.

One might wonder whether Foxboro could host three successful U2 concerts at 72,000 (I'm counting the field tickets) each. But factor in Southwest Airlines and the effect they can have in getting fans from Point A to Point B. No longer is it strictly the Boston market that needs to absorb 216,000 tickets...it's any other city that is within Southwest Airlines' reach to get them to Providence or Manchester. Or JetBlue to Boston.

Anyway, if U2 wants to avoid another outdoor loss in the States, they'll need to optimize the transportation and labor costs by playing 'smart:' Fewer cities, but well-chosen ones; and multiple dates in those cities.

Chris in NH

Last edited:
MTEdge said:

My guess is that the ticket prices will be about the same as the European shows. In other words, the top priced tickets will be $85. The next tiers would be $70, $60, and $50. Standing/General Admission tickets would be $50.

I wonder about GA in US stadiums - would all cities allow it?

I agree about GA/nosebleeds being $50 - The seats might more likely be in the $100-120 range. Some of the $160 seats for the arena tickets weren't so hot.

Just curious, 80 (pounds/quids/stone/euros?) is how much in US currency?

u2fp

explorer said:

im thinking that it might not be the current album that they are trying to promote. doing another stadium leg could mean supporting not only HTDAAB but also another "zooropa". afterall, we've all heard the rumours about another album in 06 and i think this could support that rumour...

:drool: I would love it if U2 pulled off another Zooropa...

And I would also love it if U2 brought the stadium show to the US; the stadium show looks INCREDIBLE... although again it would involve me travelling, U2 didn't even bother coming to Indianapolis for the arenas, no way they'd come for a stadium show. Especially because I think we're tearing down the RCA Dome and building a new stadium for the Colts...something I guess we are going to have to achieve in like two months or something.

But if U2 is in the US I will do my best to see them...!

hmm, i thought neutral had made a post recently, but now it has disappeared into the night sky :hmm:

Chizip said:
I really like how the term Eurigo is catching on

Plus, it's kinda close to Yu-gi-oh and the band can sell some cards we can all trade, maybe we can mix and match bootlegs and Eurigo cards.

I've got a copy of Denver 2 in SHN and 1 Edge "Lord of the Statocaster" to trade for one copy of Croke 2 in SHN.

That would be some cool shit.

Re: Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with the Eurigo show

U2girl said:
U2log.com says:

Talking about extensions… and no, we’re so not going there, we’ve been told Paul McGuinness announced on RTE’s news bulletin that the band are considering taking this outdoor show to the States next year.

The US needs another leg of the tour about as much as a fish needs a bicycle. The band should take a little time off after the 3rd leg and then do stadium dates in Mexico/S. America then Head East, Down Under, and close things off in S. Africa. I've got a friend in S. Africa and he'd love to see them play there but whether that makes sense financially for the band I don’t know. It would be a nice conclusion to the tour though with the Africa theme and all and should make for a nice DVD too. But if they opt for stadium dates in the US instead I won’t complain.

BWU2Buffs said:

Plus, it's kinda close to Yu-gi-oh and the band can sell some cards we can all trade, maybe we can mix and match bootlegs and Eurigo cards.

I've got a copy of Denver 2 in SHN and 1 Edge "Lord of the Statocaster" to trade for one copy of Croke 2 in SHN.

That would be some cool shit.

:lol: cool shit indeed. there could be holographic special edition "on fire" cards too. you know what would happen though... someone like Chizip would get ahold of all the sexy Bono cards and charge outrageous amounts of money for them, exploiting all the poor PLEBAns :sad:

South Africa would be awesome.

You know, U2 can do whatever the hell they want anyway...no matter what they do people are going to be pissed so they may as well go to the best places for getting their $$$$ and then move on.

I mean, people are complaining about 'oh i only went to four shows and the sounds was horrible at one, and the other one i didnt get in the ellipse and the other one i had a really tall man with a hat on in front of me u2 suck!!!!'

*rolls eyes*

I'm over it now....waiting for 7 months without one official word on Aust/NZ is pure torture. So if they come, if they don't....i dont care...they're not touring to please fans, there touring to make $$$ and thats the bottom line.

Re: Re: Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with the Eurigo show

U2 Blinky Light said:

Oh god, no. I hope Bono learns some new lines and stories next year. Talk about beating a dead horse. I guess 20 million for each band member isn't enough. And how are they going to compete with Floyd and Radiohead next year? They should take a break.

Floyd? In your dreams maybe. One 4 song set for Live 8 doesn't mean a full-on re-union.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
All I have to say is:
Fenway Park, August 2006.
See you there.

No, Gillette Stadium is where it'll be. I don't give a flying fig about what Jimmy 'All-You-Can-Eat' Buffet, Springsteen, and The Rolling Stones are doing. Fenways is too small and the ticket prices will be too high to cover the costs. That is NOT the U2 way.

Chris in NH

dazzlingamy said:
You know, U2 can do whatever the hell they want anyway...no matter what they do people are going to be pissed so they may as well go to the best places for getting their $$$$ and then move on.

I mean, people are complaining about 'oh i only went to four shows and the sounds was horrible at one, and the other one i didnt get in the ellipse and the other one i had a really tall man with a hat on in front of me u2 suck!!!!'

*rolls eyes*

I'm over it now....waiting for 7 months without one official word on Aust/NZ is pure torture. So if they come, if they don't....i dont care...they're not touring to please fans, there touring to make $$$ and thats the bottom line.

I am glad for you that they are commin to down under but please let people complain when the sound sucks..I mean you pay over 100 dollars for a concert that sounds like shit. thats bull..

It is an idiotec decision of U2/management to play three concerts in the worst sounding stadium in the world(Amsterdam Arena)

They used to play in rotterdam where the sounds is crystalclear.
Was in Amsterdam with the Rolling Stones concert...the sound went everywhere except for my ears. It will be sad day for some people with seatings second ring (AND NOT WHOLE COUNTRY KUEFC09U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Although I would be happy for US fans if this is true, I would be very dissapointed if they didn't add a European leg and concerts in Australia/Japan.

The US already has two legs with smaller arenas. I wish we would get arenas here instead of stadiums...

the only show I go see at a stadium is THE BOSS. nobody else.
I hate stadium shows. plus after chic, bost, & vegas in the fall I'll have had my fill of U2.

Niceman said:
BUT Floyd reuniting is akin to the Beatles reuniting.

Even with Syd Barrett stalking the stage in his designer straight jacket, a Floyd reunion would come nowhere close to a Beatles reunion if one were possible. Thats just silly talk.

NHChris said:

One might wonder whether Foxboro could host three successful U2 concerts at 72,000 (I'm counting the field tickets) each.
Gillette for a concert is more in the 60,000 seat range. The stage goes in the closed end of the stadium, no seats would be sold from sections 114 around to 127 and corresponding upper levels.

And don't discount the Fenway possibility if any of the US stadium tour rumors were to become reality. Though its capacity would be in the low 30,000s, there is a real possibility the band would get a bigger up front payday for 2 shows there as opposed to Foxboro.
Word is that U2 would have been this year's Fenway act instead of the $tones had U2 been doing stadia in the US.

I hope they put out a new album first and then continue to tour.

I know this will not be the case though.

however I don't believe they'll actually tour again in 2006.

and I guess edge's daughter is doing well since they're even touring at all, which is great.

personally I predict this tour ending and a new album in 2007-2008.

beli said:

It could be

Australia/Japan/New Zealand in January/February 2006 - that is still on right?

Mexico (S. America?) in March/April

and US in the summer.

Back to Europe in the fall.

here is what I suggest - it should make everyone happy
u2 world tour 2006
u2 will perform 4 shows in each city over the course of a week
-night 1 - intimate club gig - bono will crowd surf at least once during the 3 hour show performed for members of u2.com only - in which the band will play the entire playlist of Zooropa and Pop
-night 2 - open air amphitheater - preferably a free show in a natural setting *may be filmed. many B sides will be performed
*break* - humanitarian issues/rally mini set list performed
-night 3 arena show - u2 rare and unreleased performed
-night 4 stadium show - vertigo played at least 4 times - plus acoustic banjo performance

this should work - don't you think?:wink:

I am only repeating myself and others but.....the biggest band in the world should tour and play to the world.

It wouldnt feel right having a third leg in the states with no aussie, s america, asia or eastern european dates.

Dont see it happening but I wouldnt rule it out either...but I hope that South America and Australia get shows first because they deserve them.

Niceman said:
I don't think Radiohead can still compete with U2, BUT Floyd reuniting is akin to the Beatles reuniting.

I don't normally insult people on these boards.....but......I must say this remark is really BS. It really, really made me laugh - and not in a nice way. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom