Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with the Eurigo show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scout, there's no money for u2 to make in south america and australia. they've said so as much themselves.

nobody reads this

scout13 said:
Cool!!!!!! Though I feel sorry for the South America And Australia Its been almost ten years for the those guys. I wouldn't know what I would do.:ohmy:

tell me about it... :|

scout, there's no money for u2 to make in south america and australia. they've said so as much themselves.

then WHY did they came here with POP MART.. when the US turned their back to that amzing tour? They lost money IN THE US... they came here because is SURE MONEY, contrary to those infamous 1st and 3rd leg...

:angry:

:madspit:

:mad:

:scream:

:rant:

:sad:

The break even point for U2 Popmart shows was 15-20,000 in attendance. They only went under that number in about 4 cities. That $ number really only applies to their promoters.

The South Americans shows were subsidized by the US/Europe shows and most were desgned to do slightly better than break even.

The main reason they may want to tour stadiums in the US is it may be their last chance to do so as a contemporary act - plus it's one of the few things left for them to prove to themselves.

u2fp

Well, sorry, but it looks like MY selfish side is totally winning out on this one! Haha.

U2 live at Lincoln Financial Feild!!!! :combust:

I don't think Radiohead can still compete with U2, BUT Floyd reuniting is akin to the Beatles reuniting.

Do you realize just how many copies have sold of Dark Side of The Moon? It's crazy....

My Dad would even go see Floyd....

The thing with an American tour compared to a European tour is 'legal matters'.
When U2 play 40 shows in the States they have to deal with one country's law. When U2 play the same 40 shows in, let's say, 20 European countries, they have to deal with different legal matters...
I guess U2 could work more cost-effectively in the States, thus making a bigger profit....

claytons edge said:
If they indeed do stadium show's in the us it seem's that their worried how the album is doing there at moment and stadium show's next year will keep it relevant and sell a shedload more albums

im thinking that it might not be the current album that they are trying to promote. doing another stadium leg could mean supporting not only HTDAAB but also another "zooropa". afterall, we've all heard the rumours about another album in 06 and i think this could support that rumour...

A quick question... beside Live 8 has PINK FLOYD annouced any plans to tour or is this just speculation like U2 coming back to North America is.

By the way, U2 plays where the demand is. I don't know if there are more fans in the US, but there is more demand.

And the world is getting more global everyday. Just because you don't live where U2 is playing doesn't mean you can't see them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with t

Zoomerang96 said:

you simply haven't the foggiest idea do you?

for one, pink floyd could easily do a stadium tour and sell out every venue in north america.

good luck with that u2. really.

Considering the sale of tickets in North America so far, U2 could easily do a stadium-only tour in America and sell every single ticket.

I would love it! I believe they absolutely would sell out. No question in my mind. Don't know if I can afford any more shows though:sad: But I'll find a way:)

Zoomerang, I think you need to stick to your usual bizarre, inane posts in Lemonade Stand, because it is YOU that obviously has no clue. Its obvious you are Radiohead fan, great. But to even think they are anywhere NEAR the same level as U2 in N. America you are simply being delusional (which could be true :shrug: wouldnt shock me).

I agree that IF (and that is a major IF) Pink Floyd reunites they would sell out stadiums for sure. But why on earth does that translate to U2 not being able to sell tickets? I dont think the fanbases are the same at all, they are not competing for the same crowd. Even IF they were competing, U2 can go head to head with The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney and still sellout (which are HUGE draws), they can mount a stadium tour if GASP Pink Floyd is touring also.

Another thing is that new stadiums have been constructed throughout the U.S. since U2 last toured with an outdoor production. Chicago and Boston (Foxboro) have great new venues, and other cities have them as well. There are cities that U2 would be wise to avoid for an outdoor show, and the management know those cities well. I would look for a very selective outdoor swing through the U.S., stopping at these NFL locations for single or multiple shows:

NY--Giants Stadium
Boston--Gillette Stadium
Philadelphia--Lincoln Financial Field
Washington--FedEx Field
Denver--INVESCO Field
Seattle--Qwest Field
Chicago--Soldier Field
San Francisco--SBC Park (baseball)

There are others, I'm sure. But it seems as though NFL stadiums would take precedence over baseball stadiums because the baseball season will be in full-swing during any likely U2 tour, while the NFL stadiums will all be 'dark.'

Chris in NH

Blue Room said:
Zoomerang, I think you need to stick to your usual bizarre, inane posts in Lemonade Stand, because it is YOU that obviously has no clue.

It's AMAZING! In reading Zoomerang's posts, I imagined what this guy must look like. And there's his picture...Voila! Just as someone like that SHOULD look!

:yes:

Last edited:
NHChris said:
Another thing is that new stadiums have been constructed throughout the U.S. since U2 last toured with an outdoor production. Chicago and Boston (Foxboro) have great new venues, and other cities have them as well. There are cities that U2 would be wise to avoid for an outdoor show, and the management know those cities well. I would look for a very selective outdoor swing through the U.S., stopping at these NFL locations for single or multiple shows:

NY--Giants Stadium
Boston--Gillette Stadium
Washington--FedEx Field
Denver--INVESCO Field
Seattle--Qwest Field
Chicago--Soldier Field

There are others, I'm sure. But it seems as though NFL stadiums would take precedence over baseball stadiums because the baseball season will be in full-swing during any likely U2 tour, while the NFL stadiums will all be 'dark.'

Chris in NH

Not sure about Denver, I think they saturated that market on the first leg, possible though.

Other likely cities would probebly be:

Edmonton and/or Winnipeg (will happen, if there is a stadium leg)
Toronto
Montreal (being underplayed currently IMO)
Texas (probebly Dallas, but the whole state is being underplayed currently)
Mexico City (this was mentioned at the onset of the tour)
Miami
Atlanta (tickets were gone in seconds for the 2 arena shows)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paul McGuiness says U2 might come back to the States in 2006 - with t

Zoomerang96 said:

i'm assuming, as would most people in the music industry, that you'd be referring to radiohead as the 'new england patriots'?

Yeah, because Radiohead are just SO popular in the US.........sorry music industry folks, U2 is the 800lb gorilla, Radiohead is the tea-party chimp

First off, Radiohead would never do a "stadium tour" or an "arena tour" (post 1998) as doing big shows is far too UNCOOL for Tom Yorke and Co. A lot more "alternative" to play a dozen shows in the major markets at odd-ball venues and then flee back to good 'ole Europe. So "competition" from Radiohead in the touring stakes is laughable, because we all know Radiohead has never undertaken a full scale (25+ headlining shows in 10,000+ seat venues) U.S. tour and they won't start now.

Now, a reunited Pink Floyd has approximately a 1% chance of going on tour beyond the Live 8 one-off. Of course, the chances they were going to reunite for Live 8 were about 1% and that actually panned out, so who knows? I don't think David Gilmour wants to "crank up the machinery" of what a 1-2 year tour would entail and whether Floyd tours (with or without Roger Waters) depends particularly on what Msr. Gilmour wants to do. I'd love for it to happen and it would be the BIGGEST concert ticket of 2006 (sorry U2), but methinks it doesn't happen and the band is put to rest this July.

U2 could only sell out the big city markets (LA, NYC, Boston-Foxboro, Chicago, Philly, maybe a couple others). If they lowered ticket prices, they could sell secondary markets but since when has U2 been about lowering ticket prices???? At $45-50 cheap seats for the upper deck, they can't sell out stadiums in St. Louis, Atlanta, Minnesota, etc.

Niceman said:

Do you realize just how many copies have sold of Dark Side of The Moon? It's crazy....

That's because the stoners misplace their copy after every viewing of the Wizard of Oz and have to repurchase the album, my brother alone has had to buy 9 copies.:wink:

If the third leg of the US tour involves the band playing at a stadium in the Bay Area, then I'm for it..........otherwise, NO! :wink:

Here's an idea, if they want to take the Stadium show to the US how about spending 6 months in Europe with the indoor show.....

Forgive me for sounding a little pessimistic, but could U2 sell stadiums AFTER they already booked arenas for the same cities, often on multiple nights? This, to me, strikes me as a little odd.

NHChris said:

NY--Giants Stadium
Boston--Gillette Stadium
Washington--FedEx Field
Denver--INVESCO Field
Seattle--Qwest Field
Chicago--Soldier Field

Chris in NH

This post and Blue Room's follow-up post are spot on.

U2FanPeter said:
A U2 US stadium tour success is only determined by ticket prices.

It won't be the same as the Europe tickets.

u2fp

My guess is that the ticket prices will be about the same as the European shows. In other words, the top priced tickets will be $85. The next tiers would be $70, $60, and $50. Standing/General Admission tickets would be $50.

Blue Room said:
Zoomerang, I think you need to stick to your usual bizarre, inane posts in Lemonade Stand, because it is YOU that obviously has no clue. Its obvious you are Radiohead fan, great. But to even think they are anywhere NEAR the same level as U2 in N. America you are simply being delusional (which could be true :shrug: wouldnt shock me).

I agree that IF (and that is a major IF) Pink Floyd reunites they would sell out stadiums for sure. But why on earth does that translate to U2 not being able to sell tickets? I dont think the fanbases are the same at all, they are not competing for the same crowd. Even IF they were competing, U2 can go head to head with The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney and still sellout (which are HUGE draws), they can mount a stadium tour if GASP Pink Floyd is touring also.

sorry, i see we have a misunderstanding.

i was talking about who was better NOT who can sell more. i don't care who sells more, it's irrelevant to me.

i'm saying radiohead are the patriots of the music scene, NOT at the box office - even though they can easily sell out 20000 tickets anywhere they play. not bad either.

Zoomerang96 said:

sorry, i see we have a misunderstanding.

i was talking about who was better NOT who can sell more. i don't care who sells more, it's irrelevant to me.

i'm saying radiohead are the patriots of the music scene, NOT at the box office - even though they can easily sell out 20000 tickets anywhere they play. not bad either.

keep in mind that the Patriots have had more bad seasons than good.

Back
Top Bottom