Patti Smith setlist???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James U2 said:
Anyone know what Patti Smith played at the November NYC shows? I was there and really liked what I heard.

thanks,
james

:wave:

hi james

I'm a Patti Smith from around 74 :D and a u2 faN FROM 80/81 :D

I'll be happy to post it for you sometime a little later this week {no home internet so my use is more spotty than a lot of folks here, get the list back at home}.

Very glad you liked her ! :applaud:

She also opened her set with Dancing Barefoot both nights. People Have the Power was played on the 21st but not the 22nd.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
spit
loogie
goober
people have the power
more spit
big loogie
off

:hmm: You noticed that, too, huh? :laugh: At least I was up in the seats & not in danger of being hit by one of those things!! :yuck:

Any update on the Tuesday night set list?
I'm dying to start picking up some Patti Smith CDs...her set was a powerhouse and I'm grateful I got to see her perform...

ppl have gotten most of the set.....i was sick yesterday so i didn't get a chance to look for the list but i'll try to fill any missing ones tomorrow...and for the order ......wrote it down. Wing was the one the I didn't know the name of, but recognized it.

on 11/22
I do know she also played ...peaceable kingdom {latest-- lovely almost lullabyish}
I'd recomend either Horses or Radio Eithiopia {2nd one} to start early stuff, then Easter or Wave

her comeback album Dream of Life is one of my later favs......
Tramping {latest} is mostly good to very good.. i only heard parts of it once.
I paid to see her Live last year to hear some of the new stuff/ older favs - is how i heard a lot of it....but then alot of my extra money went to saving up for U2 tour. So i hope to get it when i've paid off some of my u2 debt. :laugh;

glad you liked her!

I am still sad that I didn't have tixs for either of those concerts. To think I could have saved one of my u2.com codes for a chance to see u2 and Patti together. Not in my wildest dreams would I have ever guessed she'd play with them...who knew... It is a crying shame! I shouldn't have posted as now
I'm feeling :( :mad: :sad: :mad: :( :sad:

sorry

It’s funny, I knew the name Patti Smith, I knew the legend about Patti Smith and the early days of punk in New York, but I didn’t know anything about her songs (save Dancing Barefoot and Because The Night) I’ve described her show elsewhere on these boards like watching a dangerous, caged animal with a certain kind of beauty to it, prowl the stage.

What was amazing to me was to see how much R.E.M. and U2 came from Patti. A couple of times I saw Bono from the Rattle & Hum movie, heard some of Edge’s guitar deliveries, and heard Michael Stipe’s phrasing and delivery.

Hate to get all geeky like this but…she is truly an original of the species!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Here's the setlist as I wrote it down....per Tues 11/22 show

It's almost in order maybe 2 songs are in wrong place....

Dancing Barefoot
Gone
Ain't It Strange
Free Money
Wing
Because the Night
Peaceable Kingdom
Rock & Roll ******/Vertigo
G-L-O-R-I-A
:D :D

Val said:
I am still sad that I didn't have tixs for either of those concerts. To think I could have saved one of my u2.com codes for a chance to see u2 and Patti together. Not in my wildest dreams would I have ever guessed she'd play with them...who knew... It is a crying shame! I shouldn't have posted as now
I'm feeling :( :mad: :sad: :mad: :( :sad:

sorry

aawwwwwwwwwww Val, :hug: :hug:

I was :shocked: when I heard the annoucement.....i always hoped tthat they might have had her & band on some date b/c of how much she among a few others Bono mentions on stage, interviews etc ESP when theie in the NYC area.

I didn't know about the time B said something about her that she hated....so ppl then dismissed the combo as ever happening.

I hope I'll find her performance somewhere on line.

thanks for the hug...and if you ever do locate her performance.... please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Mustreed@aol.com

ps I love what Rafiennes said...she is truly an Original of the Species.

Patti’s setlist on the night of nov 21 was:
DANCING BAREFOOT
REDONDO BEACH
FREE MONEY
SOUTHERN CROSS
BECAUSE THE NIGHT
PEACEABLE KINGDOM
ROCK N' ROLL ******
PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER
GLORIA

I was at the amazin msg nov 21 show and for me it was an absolute privliege to be in the presence of such a legend….being old enough to have gotten into patti before u2 even came along, she has been one of my idols for 28 years now……but having only see her play live on 2 occasions in the past, part of the reason I went to the nyc show was to see her, and she didn't disappoint.....she can still kick it as she nears 60, and is still as righteously angry as she was in the 70s……. and to have tom verlaine in the band was just an extra amazin bonus! as far as i recall in the dec 00 irving plaza show bono namechecked both patti & tom as major influences,,,,(and of course mentioned them again in msg on nov 21)

After patti’s set, a girl sitting behind me suggested that judging by my reaction to patti i had already gotten my money's worth for the night, and she was not far wrong...she told me herself that she had only gone to msg to see patti as she wasn't a u2 fan!,

the sad thing for me was that so many u2 fans missed this rock n'roll legend, and were either in the bar or hadn't arrived in msg)
…I also couldn’t believe how muted the reaction of those in the ellipse was, hardly anybody really getting into it…nor how they reacted to her iraq references…..

by the time u2 came on that night i was just riding such a high wave that i though they might let me down, but of course, as has been said elsewhere, they were also amazing ….i’d say easily one of the best of the 10 V shows i've been privileged to catch.

and to then see patti &u2 do 'instant karma' together was truly icing on the cake (earlier that day I’d gone up to strawberry fields and listened to lennon so it was a perfect end to a perfect day,!)

now if only somebody has a recording of patti’s set (and instant karma)????????

its 30 years since her extraordinary debut album, ‘horses’, and I would urge anybody who hasn’t heard that masterwork to get it as soon as possible and to give it a good listen, you will be amply rewarded by it’s power, rebellion, poetry, mystic energy, and damn fine r’n’r….its staggering to think that both "horses" and bruce's "born to run" are now 30 years old, and that both were released within a short time of each other in 1975……columbia rereleased "horses" with deluxe packaging that i suggest is really worth checkin out immediately.! .........but equally her more recent material, such as trampin show that, unlike many artists that have been going on the go a long time. patti she doesn't trade on her reputation.....the more screwed up the world gets the more we need artists like patti instead of the sanitised clear channel led b’shit we seem to be getting forcefed these days,…..

rock on patti, may you stay forever young!.......................bacedge

“suffer not your neighbours paralysis, but extend your hand…….”

ps: listenin’ to patti & u2 on random as a write and just played a great version of mysterious ways from copenhagen 01 with a bit of 'sexual healing' thrown in!

Back
Top Bottom