Party Girl - does it signal other songs returning???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
It's great to hear that they played Party Girl. I'm really hoping this means they're open to throwing the odd left curve ball in every once in awhile. I hope I'm right when I say that I have this strange feeling about "The Unforgettable Fire" making it's debut soon - perhaps in Europe - perhaps sooner. Also Until The End Of The World and Out Of Control (which really aren't left curve balls but would be appreciated). Cheers for Party Girl!!! Gives us all hope.

MrBrau1 said:
U2 didn't really play Party Girl. A member of the audience did.

It was poor placement in my opinion. They only had 1 song left, 40. If Bono was going to do that, he should've pulled someone up sooner. It seemed to kill the flow of the final encore.

shutdown said:
It was poor placement in my opinion. They only had 1 song left, 40. If Bono was going to do that, he should've pulled someone up sooner. It seemed to kill the flow of the final encore.

The thing about spontaneously pulling somebody up is that you don't get to choose at what point in the show you do it. :wink:

I guess he saw her sign when they were out on the ellipse for Yahweh, it was fine with me, and lots of fun, right before "40" closed it out. Frankly, the second encore is my least favorite part of the show, primarily because they play All Because Of You and then Yahweh, but also because it comes right after the Achtung Encore, which is out of this world. :drool: So Party Girl enhanced that second encore, which gets the :up: from me.

I found this pic over at Flickr. It's from Seattle and may be a hint to what is coming

BackstageSeattle.jpg

WOWY, Wild Horses, Stuck, and Walk on?!!
:drool:
I hope they test that out for the second 2 Chicago shows!
I'v e absolutely loved the last 2, but I'm hoping it gets a little crazy mixed for the final 2.
Probably wishful thinking though.
But still; just the thaught :drool:

Last edited:
knox said:

The thing about spontaneously pulling somebody up is that you don't get to choose at what point in the show you do it. :wink:

I see what you're saying. He may not have seen the sign until then. But didn't he spontaneously choose at that point to pull her up ? He could've chosen not to do it at all.

Anyway, this being the ONLY show I am seeing on this leg, I would have liked for them to just flow right into 40 as planned. Poor Larry is walking as fast as humanly possible back to the stage to start 40 in time and then Bono says "Wait Larry ! Don't start yet." It was just a weird moment to me.

Well, now I'll start counting the days to September 21.

What exactly is that list in that Seattle picture? Is that for guitar tunings?

"Wild Horses?" "Walk On?" ????

I'm the last person to bitch about them not playing certain songs, but if they play them later on the tour, I'm going to cry my head off that we didn't get them in Seattle! :wink:

I understand your point shutdown. However, I liked what happened with Party Girl!!! But, I have been fortunate enough to see more than one show, so I was looking for something like this I suppose

shutdown said:

I see what you're saying. He may not have seen the sign until then. But didn't he spontaneously choose at that point to pull her up ? He could've chosen not to do it at all.

I'm sure they'll tell it right when they get back, but this is what I know from being friends with Laura (the one who played who I've known since we were 4) and Eep (the one with the Party Girl sign) and standing right next to them the entire concert. Eep takes that sign everywhere to every concert. A few days ago, they met Bono. He signed the Party Girl sign and they asked if he'd play it. He asked how many chords it was, what key, etc. Then, at the show last night, he saw the sign during Yahweh and came over to us. He leaned over and asked what key it was again. Then he motioned for Edge to wait. He looked like he was going to tell Edge to play it, but then turned back and said "she can play it?" and Laura nodded and Eep was like "yeah, she'll play it". So he pulled Laura up on stage and she played it.

He has seen the sign before on multiple occasions, just never played the song and maybe never put it together until now that it was the same people every time. I don't care how "weird" it was. At least this band pays attention to fans and lets us really get into the show. If you want Yahweh into 40, I'll e-mail you my bootleg of the Saturday show.

corianderstem said:

:wink:

Yeah that is probably refering to how a lot of their songs they tune down a half step for Bono's voice. Makes it easier to do show after show.

That girl was very lucky and I think it was one of the greatest moments of the night. I guess I'll have to bring a sign in September that say "Bono, let ME play guitar"!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I'm sure they'll tell it right when they get back, but this is what I know from being friends with Laura (the one who played who I've known since we were 4) and Eep (the one with the Party Girl sign) and standing right next to them the entire concert. Eep takes that sign everywhere to every concert. A few days ago, they met Bono. He signed the Party Girl sign and they asked if he'd play it. He asked how many chords it was, what key, etc. Then, at the show last night, he saw the sign during Yahweh and came over to us. He leaned over and asked what key it was again. Then he motioned for Edge to wait. He looked like he was going to tell Edge to play it, but then turned back and said "she can play it?" and Laura nodded and Eep was like "yeah, she'll play it". So he pulled Laura up on stage and she played it.

He has seen the sign before on multiple occasions, just never played the song and maybe never put it together until now that it was the same people every time. I don't care how "weird" it was. At least this band pays attention to fans and lets us really get into the show. If you want Yahweh into 40, I'll e-mail you my bootleg of the Saturday show.

Am I not allowed to have my own feelings ? It felt weird to me, sorry ! I'm sure being right there and having it be your friend was a cool moment, I don't doubt it. But just because you've been friends with Laura since she was 4 doesn't mean that I have to think it was the perfect thing to happen at that moment.

Go ahead and enjoy the moment. A lot of people did. I'm happy for Laura. I'm sure that is a story she'll tell for a long time. I personally just thought that pulling someone up just before the very last song of the night, while Larry nearly sprinted to the drums to start 40 on time just seemed to kill the momentum, at least what was left from the ABOY -> Yahweh transition.

On the Elevation Tour, they pulled people up in the middle of the show during their acoustic set. It fit perfect there. It never felt weird, even if it became a routine thing and not really that spontaneous.

All I mentioned was that it was a weird moment to ME. I didn't ask to be jumped on by Laura's lifelong friends.

Last edited:
shutdown said:
"Am I not allowed to have my own feelings ?"........
"All I mentioned was that it was a weird moment to ME. I didn't ask to be jumped on by Laura's lifelong friends."
I'm an impartial observer here in that I wasn't at the show nor do I know anyone who was. Nobody said you're not allowed to have your own feelings and nobody 'jumped on' you. LivLuvAndBootlegMusic was just trying to offer an explanation as to why Bono chose that moment to reward these long time fans by playing the song they were requesting. Earlier in the show probably would have been better but it didn't happen that way. Party Girl is a rarity that is played only a few times per tour and you got to hear it played live for the first time this tour but you complain that it ruined the 'flow'. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but you had to realize that some people here would disagree with that statement and would post their differing opinions.

shutdown said:
Am I not allowed to have my own feelings? It felt weird to me, sorry !

Easy dude, no offense was taken. I'm just more annoyed that people (in general, not picking on you) can never stop complaining. First, U2 don't have enough variety, then they're playing the setlist in the wrong order, now the new songs are weird....

Personally, I'd rather have people going on stage be spontaneous rather than planned, and I don't see why Larry sprinting makes any difference. Anyway, it really wasn't THAT spontaneous. They'd explained to Bono how to play the song three times (twice before the show) and asked him to do it repeatedly. I'm not sure where else in the show it would've fit (like when that guitar was out).

Zootomic said:

Party Girl is a rarity that is played only a few times per tour and you got to hear it played live for the first time this tour but you complain that it ruined the 'flow'.

I never complained. I said it was a weird moment to ME. Maybe awkward would describe it better. Not the playing of the song, but the abruptness of Bono trying to tell Larry to not start 40 because he had decided to pull Laura up to play the song.

And I like Party Girl. I sang along myself. But U2 did not play Party Girl. Bono sang while Laura played guitar.

I enjoyed the video (several times now) and would have been thrilled to have been there. What a treat! Flow or no flow. I don't think I've ever seen it live. And it extended the show a bit - nothing wrong with that now? Props to Laura!

:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Easy dude, no offense was taken. I'm just more annoyed that people (in general, not picking on you) can never stop complaining. First, U2 don't have enough variety, then they're playing the setlist in the wrong order, now the new songs are weird....

Honestly, this didn't bother me. I didn't think about it after the show or on the way home or anything. It didn't change my experience. I just saw the posting about it and typed what I did because that's what I was thinking when it was all starting to happen. Not a big deal at all. And I like Party Girl. The song is not weird, well, it kind of is, but that's part of the appeal of it I think. It's a fun dancy type tune. My only complaint since the tour was announced was the way the whole fan club pre-sale stuff went. I haven't complained since.

chanfle98 said:
I found this pic over at Flickr. It's from Seattle and may be a hint to what is coming

BackstageSeattle.jpg

:ohmy: Even Better Than the Real Thing?? Walk On?? Wild Horses??

*is incredibly jealous of whoever is at the show when these songs are played*

shutdown said:
I said it was a weird moment to ME. Maybe awkward would describe it better. Not the playing of the song, but the abruptness of Bono trying to tell Larry to not start 40 because he had decided to pull Laura up to play the song.

There may have been a more flowing spot for it, but really, when would that have been? When else was Edge's accoustic guitar ready and accessible? I don't think Larry was offended that Bono told him to wait. Better to have Bono say it than Larry start the song without knowing what was going on. Listening to Chicago I, it's not like Yahweh went directly into 40 anyway b/c Edge has to change instruments. Bono even says something between songs and there's like a 20 second pause. Honestly I liked how when Laura finished it 40 started right away. I think that part flowed really well.

corianderstem said:
:

Many studio recorded U2 songs are written a semi tone lower in the first place.

(Some remixes are transposed even lower)

So it makes sense to play them a semi tone lower live as well.

However if edge was to use the same guitar throughout the whole concert, he'd have to retune his guitar each time, which is why he changes guitar frequently.

You also find that they group certain songs depending on whether they're transposed a semi tone lower or not.

She got to play it again last night...with the whole band. It was GREAT. She is the luckiest girl in the world.

Back
Top Bottom