Opening and Closing with the same song, does anyone else do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaq

The Fly
I know a lot of people are annoyed with U2 opening and closing shows with Vertigo.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if any other artists have done this before at shows?

not another thread about this...can we just merge certain threads that are being repeated over and over... like "whats the song before U2 comes on, and now this one, cant we just merge them all together

The Vertigo 2 arguement AGAIN? Oh Christ I think I'm going insane. For the love of God merge this into oblivion please? :huh:

while this thread is getting quite old..........

who cares if they do this? if anything i think this is a throwback for them. bono has said they use to open and close with 11 o'clock tick tock back in the day (see Boston/Paradise gig on the Complete U2) because they didnt have enough songs. while they have more than enough songs now i think this is just more of a continuation back to the "boy" days that theyve been talking about with this album

The only other band I saw do it was Mister Mister in 1986 (my girlfriend at the time, Tracy, DRAGGED me to that show). They opened and closed with "Take These Broken Wings."

Yes, I broke up with Tracy soon after that show.

Doing the same song twice is...how do you say...LAME.

Springsteen did it recently in vegas. he also did 'dancing in the dark' more than once when they filmed their video.

Did Pink Floyd ever bookend their shows with 'crazy diamond'? There was also more than one version of "brick in the wall" on that tour.

Bowie did a song twice - he flub a lyric and then retried after a couple other songs were played.

Neil Diamond frequently plays Sweet Caroline twice BACK TO BACK in arena shows.

James Brown does some 'funk jams' more than once in live shows dating back to the late 60's.

Neil Young has done it on 2 tours: Hey Hey (fade to black) in the late 70's and 'Rockin in the free world'(acoustic/electric) in the late 80's(going on memory here)

u2fp

People should read what this thread is really about instead of just complaining about it. The whining about people whining about Vertigo X2 is getting old as well. (Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of that comment.)

Back on topic, I don't know of any band that did it regularly (other than those mentioned), but Phish did something close, but it was so freakin' cool.

They opened with the song Harpua which is about a guy in the desert who is dreaming (I think that's correct), right when the song starts talking about what he is dreaming Phish proceeded to play the entire Dark Side of the Moon cd nonstop from beginning to end as if that is the dream the guy is having. After playing through the classic Pink Floyd album, the went back into the end of Harpua. The incredible part is how spot on they sounded on the Pink Floyd stuff. One would probably read this and think they did their own rendition of it, but they played it perfectly. It was unreal!! I didn't see the show, but I used to have it on MP3. In fact if anyone has this I'd love to get a copy. I lost mine in a computer crash.

In years and years of varied gig going, I only recall it happening with bands that have yet to release an album/only have one album released. In both of these scenarios it has been the big hit single that is played twice.

I taped Alanis Morissette in Las Vegas in 2002, and she did one song divided into 4 parts.
Overture
Baba
Right Through You
21 Things
I Want In A Lover
Hand In My Pocket
Purgatorying (part 1)
Sister Blister
So Pure
Precious Illusions
Sympathetic Character
Purgatorying (part 2)
Under Rug Swept
You Oughtta Know
Purgatorying (part 3)
Head Over Feet
Hands Clean
Uninvited
Purgatorying (part 4)
Surrendering
You Learn
That Particular Time
Thank You

Chrisedge said:
I taped Alanis Morissette in Las Vegas in 2002, and she did one song divided into 4 parts.
Overture
Baba
Right Through You
21 Things
I Want In A Lover
Hand In My Pocket
Purgatorying (part 1)
Sister Blister
So Pure
Precious Illusions
Sympathetic Character
Purgatorying (part 2)
Under Rug Swept
You Oughtta Know
Purgatorying (part 3)
Head Over Feet
Hands Clean
Uninvited
Purgatorying (part 4)
Surrendering
You Learn
That Particular Time
Thank You

Now THAT'S a new twist on things!

Judah said:
The only other band I saw do it was Mister Mister in 1986 (my girlfriend at the time, Tracy, DRAGGED me to that show). They opened and closed with "Take These Broken Wings."

And you think this is a bad thing? :laugh:

I saw Guided by Voices repeat a song on their last tour (which, I guess, was their LAST tour). But this may have been because they were too drunk to stand up by the end of the show.

Lemonfix said:

And you think this is a bad thing? :laugh:

I saw Guided by Voices repeat a song on their last tour (which, I guess, was their LAST tour). But this may have been because they were too drunk to stand up by the end of the show.

Oh that's happened on older tours too. :whistle:

U2FanPeter said:
Springsteen did it recently in vegas. he also did 'dancing in the dark' more than once when they filmed their video.

Did Pink Floyd ever bookend their shows with 'crazy diamond'? There was also more than one version of "brick in the wall" on that tour.

Bowie did a song twice - he flub a lyric and then retried after a couple other songs were played.

Neil Diamond frequently plays Sweet Caroline twice BACK TO BACK in arena shows.

James Brown does some 'funk jams' more than once in live shows dating back to the late 60's.

Neil Young has done it on 2 tours: Hey Hey (fade to black) in the late 70's and 'Rockin in the free world'(acoustic/electric) in the late 80's(going on memory here)

u2fp

the springsteen viva las vegas x2 was in 2000. he opened and closed with the song, but instead of the normal 24 songs you get at a show, that night you got 26, not replacing any originals. and this was only once and in vegas.

you can't count floyd as the different parts are different songs. shine on you crazy diamond parts 1-5 used to open the set and then 6-9 would close the set. with the except of the very short verse and chorus in 6-9 the songs are different. and all three another brick in the wall songs are different.

as for the other bands i have no idea. but that argument that one is rockin and one is visually stunning is ridiculous. the place would go insane for i will follow even more at the end. and ive seen vertigo x2, nothing to write home about.

Not exactly on point, but how many bands take the stage for Arena concerts with the lights on? (I hope someone gets the point in why I'm asking that question! :wink:)

This is nothing new. I've seen The Who live when they encored with 5:15, having already played it in the main set. I've seen Queen when they played We Will Rock You twice - one 'normal', one fast.

But get this - last night The White Stripes headlined at the Glastonbury festival. They played the Meg sung 'Passive Manipulation' THREE times.

:ohmy:

Has Clapton ever played Layla(acoustic/electric)twice in concert?

Chubby Checker and Chuck Berry both play sets with the same song played 15-20+ times in a row.

I also have James Brown live dallas 1968 official cd where he performs "Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud" twice.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom