OOTS Live = GORGEOUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've just been listening to a boot of OOTS from one of the most recent pre-Chicago shows and I thought it was just stunning. I mean, it's perfect. Just the keyboard and Bono and little bit of bass, and it is GORGEOUS. Much closer to the IPod ceremony version than the Brooklyn Bridge version, and it was the right choice imo. The electric guitar just didn't work. They should have recorded it all stripped-down like this for the album...I am in love with the keyboard in the live performances of this song. It is mesmerizing. :drool:

Here's to hoping they play this and not Yahweh at MSG 5/21(where I'll be)...

It was beautiful on 5/10. Bono introduced the song by saying that the band hasn't figured out how to play it live yet, but it sounded damn good to me.

I just listened to it in the boot of Chi4 and yeah, it's just lovely.
Bono sounds so sincere when he asks "is that okay?", and my god I want to scream yes!
I don't know about prefering it to the album version though...I feel so happy to get to hear the live version and compare!
I'm glad they're starting to play it now... next single would be cool too!
But don't replace Yahweh, just add OOTS...
cheers all...

They should release it as a single, along with a "single version." They wouldn't really need to re-record it, just re-mix the album version so it is just piano, drums, bass, and maybe the acoustic guitar. Take the electric guitar, the synths, strings, etc. out of the mix.

Roland of Gilead said:
Is it just me, or does OOTS have "next single" written all over it?

Bono said it's the best song on the album at Chicago 3, The Edge has also said it's his favourite. Also during the Ipod performace Bono says "this is the bit where it becomes a hit". So I think it might be!

And don't the crowd love it!

I loved this song at the shows I went to.

Is it possible that OOTS will turn into one of those songs thats regarded as a "live" song instead of a studio song?

this is the best 'pop' song U2 have ever written and they should definitely play it more than they do at the moment. i think that what long said is bang on- they have to release it as a single and just keep it with the keyboards.

i think this is U2's answer to the Beatle's 'Hey Jude'

I hope they release it as a single. This way they will then have to play it every night:)

They should rerecord it along the lines of the live version. It was the one song on the album that made me cringe because of its production. Those syrupy keyboards were embarrassing, sounded like Train or some sorry commercial white pop.

The way they're playing it live is so perfect. Beautiful. Edge's keyboard playing is so on now.

It just took them some practice because they got it right at Chicago IV. Edge's piano was a little bit subtler, at other shows it was too dominant, which blended wonderfully with AC's and LM's playing and Bono's beautiful vocals. I think the band knew they hit one out of the park with that performance.

this is fun, now you guys have got me a project, to decide whether I think the album version doesn't work as well...
I always liked it, thought yeah it's got this overt beatlesesque feel, and kinda liked the momentary 'syrupy' feel to the keyboards (like a sampled lullaby) and thought the electric guitar added a full extra emotional element...hmmm....

cheers all!

edit: please excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what the 'ipod' performance is? thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ipod performance is when Bono and Edge, along with Steve Jobs of Apple, introduced the ipod.
Later, they played All because of you acoustically and Original - only Edge on piano and Bono singing.

I enjoy both versions, the album with the keyboards and that lovely ringing guitar from Edge and the stripped down live version.

ShellBeThere said:
this is fun, now you guys have got me a project, to decide whether I think the album version doesn't work as well...
I always liked it, thought yeah it's got this overt beatlesesque feel, and kinda liked the momentary 'syrupy' feel to the keyboards (like a sampled lullaby) and thought the electric guitar added a full extra emotional element...hmmm....

cheers all!

edit: please excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what the 'ipod' performance is? thanks in advance!
You're right about that delay-effect guitar lead in the choruses. That shit sounds dope.

I just think that that synth string patch they used sounds cheesy. Since they were trying to produce the hell out of this track, maybe they should've added a real orchestra?

I actually love the album version, partly because it sounds like two or three different songs in one. Anyway, what I like most about it--and what, apparently, many here like least--is the electric guitar. To me, the last 1/4 of the song reminds me of 'Streets' with Edge's signature chiming guitar. I guess I must be in the minority. Oh well, hope this song surfaces at Boston 2 or 3.

Chris in NH

I have to agree with the last poster. I really thought the live version was lacking. The full drum sound with just piano sounded really weird, and although the bass helped, without the electric guitar it couldn't get the energy it needed in the chorus.

Now, I heard it at Seattle II, and it might have improved sense then. But, my impression was that the live version just doesn't stand up to the album version (which I love btw). I think the song would make a single version, but only in it's original form. The live version would sound really dead on the radio.

I think a lot of their layered studio songs sound great live, not better or worse, but just different. I love the studio Unforgettable Fire, but its stripped down live for obvious reasons. I just can't say I like the studio version of OOTS as much. Take out the synth and it will be perfect IMO.

Back
Top Bottom