One thing I hate about U2 concerts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can understand how the lack of enthusiasm might piss people off, but because someone is standing quietly and not bouncing up and down doesn't necessarily mean they're not enjoying the show. Most of the shows I went to, I was on the rail outside the ellipse. I went to all four Toronto shows, and was sick as a dog. During one of the last ones (3? 4?) I was feeling crappy, and exhausted from camping out in the GA most of the week. I spent considerably less energy, didn't pogo or cheer nearly as much, but that didn't mean I wasn't enjoying it quietly. The other shows, I went nuts, though. :)

In Detroit, I was in the ellipse, near the left exit. Right in front of me was a sort of "path" to get to the exit. I couldn't believe the number of people that pushed by me, some several times, to make beer runs. Crazy people, leaving while U2 are performing... :tsk:

Last summer I took my niece and her little friends to a Destiny's Child concert - and I was the only one sitting in my area - just couldn't get into it even though I do like some of their songs :reject:

VintagePunk said:
In Detroit, I was in the ellipse, near the left exit. Right in front of me was a sort of "path" to get to the exit. I couldn't believe the number of people that pushed by me, some several times, to make beer runs. Crazy people, leaving while U2 are performing... :tsk:

I stood in this same spot for most of SLC and some of Portland and I agree with you. It was like a revolving door. I can only assume that for the people walking back and forth to get food/beer/soda or to go to the bathroom during the show it was just a night out, the thing to do.

Honestly, I can deal with the people who sit but at least stay put for the show more than those that are going back and forth every three or four songs.

I have been going to U2 shows since 1981 and I have never ever left one in progress for any reason. I guess I've been lucky.

Two years ago, I went to the Madonna show, here in Lisbon, indoors.
There was a pregnant woman behind me and my friends screaming with us because we were standing tall and dancing and singing all the songs and we were enervating her and she couldn't see anything, because she had to stay sat down.
She was irritating me... C'mon: it's a Madonna show, we were supposed to jump and sing along with her. If I was a woman and almost having the baby (that's what it seemed), it's not that I couldn't have fun, but I'd avoid that...

In the Vertigo show in Lisbon the man that was just at my right side was getting pissed because me and my crew (but I was the worse one:reject: ) we were almost screaming when singing and totally vibrating with the show. The man seemed to be angry because of our euforia. I can understand that he was probably just an appreciator, but that was U2... U2, do you know what it means?:wink:

Why does everyone care how the person next to them is acting during the concert? Sounds like some people should focus more on the show than the people next to them. Everyone has a different way of dealing with there emotions during anything in life. I was in the ellipes, on the rail right infront of Edge and just because I wasn't "pogoing" doesn't make me any less of a fan. I was trying to take it all in. Where do I look? Bono? Edge? Bono? Adam?..... though i can agree that pulling out your blackberry is just WRONG. At the Minneapolis show two women righ beside us got up and yelled at eachother "this sucks" and got up and left before the first half of the show was done. Now i have a problem with that because there were loads of people outside before the concert trying to get tickets and these two seats were empty for the rest of the show.

Aygo said:
Two years ago, I went to the Madonna show, here in Lisbon, indoors.
There was a pregnant woman behind me and my friends screaming with us because we were standing tall and dancing and singing all the songs and we were enervating her and she couldn't see anything, because she had to stay sat down.
She was irritating me... C'mon: it's a Madonna show, we were supposed to jump and sing along with her. If I was a woman and almost having the baby (that's what it seemed), it's not that I couldn't have fun, but I'd avoid that...

One of the Madonna shows I saw last time out a couple of people in front of us decided to go and get beers at the start of Like a Prayer (being played for the first time in 15 odd years) - it was obvious they were only there under pain because of their other halves. What I don't get is why people feel they have to take girlfriends / boyfriends / wives / husbands along if they aren't even vaguely interested in the show. It just seems pointless to me and a waste of money.

Don't always lump the people who don't act "crazy" during songs as bad fans.

Maybe I'm a minority here, but when I go to concerts, especially U2, I really like to soak in the performance. I'll stand of course, and clap along, but I don't usually cheer really loud or jump up and down.

It's not that I'm bored, it's just I find if I'm moving all over the place, I find I don't take in the music as well.

Maybe I'm just a old fart in a young person's body.

i sat completely still during the whole Milwaukee show. it's not that i wasn't enjoying the concert, i was just taking it in, and trying to observe as much as possible.

so let's try not to judge a book by its cover.

i dont know for you guys, but for me jumping and shouting like hell isnt only about having fun and all that. its actually more to show my appreciation for the band. and dont tell me the band doesnt like the whole first floor jumping up and down during COBL, vertigo, elevation, streets, beautiful day...

it might disturb some people, the older fans lol, but come on wake up its U2; its time to be young again :wink:

Each to their own and all that, but I really can't see how people can stand still at a U2 concert! So many perfect "bounce around like a loon" songs in most setlists as well! (Vertigo, COBL, UTEOTW, ABOY, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Pride, Streets, Sunday Bloody Sunday to name a few).

I mean, I know that if I was strapped down to a chair while U2 were playing Streets a few feet in front of me, I'd find some way of ROCKING THE HELL OUT! ;)

Bodnex said:
I mean, I know that if I was strapped down to a chair while U2 were playing Streets a few feet in front of me, I'd find some way of ROCKING THE HELL OUT! ;)
That creates a helluva funny picture :lol:

Chizip said:
because u2 is so huge in draws a lot of casual fans who just go cause its the cool thing to do, its unfortunate because it can kind of kill the atmosphere a bit

I was a little pissed at the fans at my Toronto show. I've seen more enthusiasm in a bus shelter. Leading up to the concert, I toyed around with possibility of bringing a sign in, but I chickened out in the end, unfortunately. Next time, next time. I did my share of jumping and clapping, however. Maybe too much.

It seemed to me that the most joyous fans were the ones who had travelled many miles to get there.

There is something to the idea of trying to soak it all in, so you can replay it later. I found myself doing that also. I think it's easier to go nuts if you're in the middle of the crowd and everyone around you is doing so. I found being in the front row inside the ellipse a different kind of experience... you don't really notice what everyone around you is doing, it's so overwhelming. I did alot of both, just standing there with my mouth hanging open, (and smiling alot at Edge who kept smiling at me), and then the crazy pogo-ing and all that. I think it's different for each person, because they're not reacting like you doesn't mean they aren't loving every second of it also. (Then there was my husband with his earplugs in most of the show, lol)

I should clarify that when I was in the heart for Elevation, I was bouncing all around. It's a different atmosphere in there. Same thing with this tour.

I did enjoy being that close to the band, but for a memory standpoint, I like to be able to see the whole picture and take it all in. That's my preference. I made my eye contact with the band years ago, so I'm pretty happy. I have doubts that Bono would pull me up and say, Nathaniel, you're the greatest......so I like to sit back and watch : )

I can completely agree with a lot of what is being said on here. Personally I was one of those that was going crazy at the Chicago taping of the show. Than again I was up in the seats so couldn't be seen by the camera,lol. But anyway I noticed the ones down in GA just standing there. Personally I would have killed to be down there. And even though some in my seating area weren't into the concert the way I was. I just said screw them it's U2 out there! Went completely crazy with excitement and loved every minute of it!

I can't understand people going to a U2 concert and just standing there not interested at all :tsk:

When i was at the London shows last year and particularly at the 2nd night, i noticed lots of people sitting down :madspit: and there was a couple next to me and the girl of the pair looked so unenthusiastic&bored as hell - i mean the guy who was with her was singing&clapping along with all the songs so it seemed as if she was one of those who had 'tagged along' just cos her partner/friend wanted to go :|

It looked like half the people in the seats did not show any reaction to seeing U2 whatsoever :tsk: :down:

Only once at a U2 concert(seen'em 7 times) have I ever gone to the bathroom durring the show. It was durring the Portland show last December. I had to go durring Sunday Bloody Sunday but I ran as fast as I could even though I had seen it before. I could never justify going for a beer or food durring the show though. What pisses me off more than people leaving durring classic/popular songs is when people leave durring a song like Original of the Species or Miracle Drug or Running to Stand Still. Those are the songs when you see people fileing out to use the washroom because they don't hear those songs on radio so they use them as the official bathroom break. It makes me mad that they're only there to hear the popular tunes. Also I hate it when peope leave before the lights come on at the end. People who can't be bothered to show appreaciation for the band by cheering for an encore and people who need to beat the traffic are idiots in my opinion. Sorry if any of you fall into this category:| But it really makes me mad that at the four shows this tour where I had reserved seating people started leaving and needing to get by me after One. Shit there's two more encores and these monkeys are leaving as soon as the band starts walking off the stage the first time. Most people would sit back down when I told them there's at least six more songs to be played but one coupled looked at each other and left anyways. Screw them!!! there's people who would've killed for those tickets and these jerkoffs leave with quarter of the show to go. :madspit:

Last edited:
:applaud: Can't agree with you more, Hallucination. Every show in seats this tour people were trying to get by me and it pissed me off when I knew the show wasn't over. I wanted to block the aisle and order people to sit their asses down out of respect for the band and wait it out and not pis off the rest of us die hard fans! Oh well....it takes all kinds. Lots more people in GA pissed me off then in seats tho. Don't get me started :wink:

You know when I went to the September show in Chicago there were a lot of people leaving. In fact quite a bit cleared out of the row right in front of me. Remember just looking at my bf like what the hell are they doing?! Man did they ever miss one hell of an ending! Will always remember the black cowboy hat on the microphone stand lit up. Than Larry coming over and putting it on before walking off. Personally I would have been devastated if I had missed something like that! Sorry but some people are just idiots!

Hallucination said:
people who need to beat the traffic are idiots in my opinion.

Totally agree. Its also annoying in other stadium events such as sport matches. I get so annoyed when people leave before full time at football matches. They would justify their actions by saying that their team has no chance of getting back in the game, but how can they call themselves supporters if they cant stand by their team during the bad times? But the most annoying thing is when they boo their teams performance. Sorry if Ive side tracked but I just had to get it off my mind.

Back
Top Bottom