One of Bono's monologues during Boston II...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacemaker

Refugee
I haven't downloaded any shows off of the current NA leg, so I wouldn't know, and I also couldn't really think of anything to search for this with, so...

At Boston II, Bono made a fairly lenghty, witty speech about the Edge being from another galaxy, and the band's reactions when his spaceship landed... and then before One when Bono had everyone hold up their cell-phones, Bono said something to the effect of, "So Edge, is that the star-map of where you come from?"

So my question is, is this one of Bono's stock speeches, or was this unique/relatively unique?

Thanks

"I don't know if you know this, but Edge is from the future. And not our future, but the future of another planet. So while Larry, Adam and I were all in Northside Dublin, and Edge's spaceship arrived, it sounded like these notes, here. This music.

So when his spaceship landed, Larry went up to him and said, 'Who are you?' And Edge replied, 'I'm the Edge.' And Larry said, 'Where are you from?' 'I'm from the future,' said the Edge.

So then Adam went up to him and said, 'What's it like?'

The Edge replied, 'It's better.'"

He started this speech in Europe. It just seems to have gotten longer in the 3rd leg.

By December I'll be expecting a 25 minute monologue about some planet 15 lights years from the earth where The Edge apparently emmigrated from. :wink: The show will be down to 17 songs by that point. :|

ramblin rose said:
He started this speech in Europe. It just seems to have gotten longer in the 3rd leg.

By December I'll be expecting a 25 minute monologue about some planet 15 lights years from the earth where The Edge apparently emmigrated from. :wink: The show will be down to 17 songs by that point. :|

:lmao:

ramblin rose said:
He started this speech in Europe.

He started it in Copenhagen :wink:

Edge cracked up, he seriously laughed out loud, it was so funny.

Edge also cracked up as Bono sang "I walk down this ramp... without fear of cramp" during Singin' In The Rain. I never saw Edge laugh so much during a show.

That speech makes everyone laugh, I thought it was cool.

"It's better" :wink:

I'd imagine one day Bono will give such a long introduction that Edge will forget the notes to Miracle Drug..

"A long time ago, before the world was made, there was a organization of planets that revolved outside of the earth, and planet earth was born from concepts of these other planets. In order to make this planet better than the other one, many representatives from other planets came to our planet to create different kinds of occupations and people.

So I was walking around one in Dublin, after having a few pints of Guinness, I saw a glowing light in the sky, I raised my cup and said "Hello," and then at that point the spaceship came down and the person inside the ship came out and said "Excuse me, do you know where I can find the hospital?" He looked like a man who worked in the profession of medicine, but I said to him "We need a guitarist for a band, do you want to be that guitarist?"

He looked at me, puzzled and quiet.

"Sure," he said, "I'll do it." And from that moment on, U2 was born. This next song is dedicated to anyone who wanted to become a doctor, came from another planet, or wants to be a guitarist...

*Bono waits for Miracle Drug to play...*

Edge... what's wrong?

Edge: I've forgot the notes now...

Adam and Larry: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Why is it that Bono can remember the speeches so well, but not the song lyrics?:eyebrow:

LOL @ U2Man !

Last edited:
theu2fly said:
That speech makes everyone laugh, I thought it was cool.

"It's better" :wink:

I'd imagine one day Bono will give such a long introduction that Edge will forget the notes to Miracle Drug..

"A long time ago, before the world was made, there was a organization of planets that revolved outside of the earth, and planet earth was born from concepts of these other planets. In order to make this planet better than the other one, many representatives from other planets came to our planet to create different kinds of occupations and people.

So I was walking around one in Dublin, after having a few pints of Guinness, I saw a glowing light in the sky, I raised my cup and said "Hello," and then at that point the spaceship came down and the person inside the ship came out and said "Excuse me, do you know where I can find the hospital?" He looked like a man who worked in the profession of medicine, but I said to him "We need a guitarist for a band, do you want to be that guitarist?"

He looked at me, puzzled and quiet.

"Sure," he said, "I'll do it." And from that moment on, U2 was born. This next song is dedicated to anyone who wanted to become a doctor, came from another planet, or wants to be a guitarist...

*Bono waits for Miracle Drug to play...*

Edge... what's wrong?

Edge: I've forgot the notes now...

Adam and Larry: :ohmy: :ohmy:

:applaud: That's great!

I could see the teleprompter on 10/4 from my seats. I was surprised that even the speeches are on it. Before Miracle Drug the screen said "Miracle Drug Intro- Edge Speech" or something to that effect. And then the entire story that Bono was telling showed up on the screen.

I guess I was a little disapointed to realize that majority of the show really is scripted. Oh well, it was still great!

bostonfly said:
I could see the teleprompter on 10/4 from my seats. I was surprised that even the speeches are on it. Before Miracle Drug the screen said "Miracle Drug Intro- Edge Speech" or something to that effect. And then the entire story that Bono was telling showed up on the screen.

I guess I was a little disapointed to realize that majority of the show really is scripted. Oh well, it was still great!

I could see the teleprompter too, I was in section 322, which was way up high, so I couldn't read anything on it.

At first I was a bit weirded out... Bono? Teleprompter? And then I remembered that he's been using one since at least ZooTV (MacPhisto speeches... amirite?), and relaxed.

In keeping with Bono's friendly jab at Bon Jovi tonight on Conan, I'll say that I've seen the Jovi twice - first time was sweet, second time sucked... not only are his shows completely choreographed down to the gestures he makes at the cameras (taping the show for the video screens) and crowd, but he used the SAME gestures and nuances on TWO DIFFERENT TOURS. Talk about scripted.

Back
Top Bottom