One Campaign Part of the Tour Over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Since the One Campaign was aimed to get 1 millions American signatures for their petition, does this mean this part of the tour will be left out now that the show has moved to Europe?

Will the show have less of an African theme?

Or will he fill the hole with the European Make Povery History Campaign?

Should be interesting to see how the show changes in the European leg, because I think there could be significant changes.

Maybe if they change it from the One Campaign to Make Povery History they could play Crumbs instead of One. That would be nice.

Is it June 10th yet?

The ONE Campaign is an ongoing effort to effect the funding levels of the American government toward its responsiiblity to provide $15 billion of assistance to African and Caribbean countries to fight the AIDS pandemic and extreme poverty.

That condition won't go away because the first leg of the Vertigo tour is over.

Here is what The ONE Campaign is all about:

What is The ONE Campaign?

ONE is a new effort by Americans to rally Americans – ONE by ONE – to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty. The ONE Campaign is engaging Americans through a diverse coalition of faith-based and anti-poverty organizers to show the steps people can take, ONE by ONE, to fight global AIDS and poverty.

Why is The ONE Campaign needed?
Right now, the US government is making decisions about how much money to spend on humanitarian assistance next year and the UK is poised to lead the world’s wealthiest nations at the G8 summit next July. By joining the ONE campaign, we will show our leaders that we want to do more to respond to the emergency of AIDS and extreme poverty.

What is the goal of The ONE Campaign?
The ONE Campaign seeks to give Americans a voice, to ring church bells and cell phones, on campuses and in coffee shops, for an historic pact to fight the global AIDS emergency and end extreme poverty. We believe that allocating an additional ONE percent of the U.S. budget toward providing basic needs like health, education, clean water and food, would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation of the poorest countries.

Who founded The ONE Campaign?
The ONE Campaign was founded by Bread for the World, CARE, DATA, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, Oxfam America, Plan USA, Save the Children US, World Concern, and World Vision, and works closely with the National Basketball Association, Rock the Vote, and the Millennium Campaign.

How does ONE link to international agreements to fight poverty?
ONE links directly to the international effort to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. 1% more of the US federal budget would help save millions of lives and be a major commitment towards achieving the internationally agreed upon United Nations Millennium Development Goals. If it is delivered, we would achieve 0.35% of national wealth going to Official Development Assistance - half way to the international commitment to achieve 0.7%. Longer term, so long as we can prove the money is working, the goal is for the US to continue to increase effective assistance until it meets the international commitment to give 0.7% of the national wealth. This is an appropriate goals for ten years time, or 2015, the deadline for achieving the Millennium Goals.

Now that the tour is in Europe, undoubtedly Bono will be doing a similar plea for folks to support their national MakePovertyHistory organizations. (http://www.makepovertyhistory.org)

I'm assuming that plea will seem just as effective during "ONE" as before.

But "Crumbs" would be a good song also.

WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:up:

yeah i didnt say the One Campaign would be over

just that part of the show

Good question...I've also wondered if the ONE campaign's goals and little slogans will ever change since the point was to get 1 million Americans on board and they've obviously exceeded that expectation WAY beyond 1 million.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Good question...I've also wondered if the ONE campaign's goals and little slogans will ever change since the point was to get 1 million Americans on board and they've obviously exceeded that expectation WAY beyond 1 million.

I don't think so personally. Collecting signatures is really just the beginning of what the ONE Campaign hopes from us.

Palace_Hero said:
Justice campaigning + U2 concert = :yawn:

I agree. When someone like Bono has the influence to help out a great cause, he definetly shouldn't take advantage of having 20,000+ people in his audience who can listen to his message. :rolleyes:

off-topic, I know...
but I couldn't help but notice that my concert shirt was made with presumably fairly paid labor in the USA.
Did you all hear about how with the ending of quotas favoring textiles made in Africa recently this just-taking-off industry in various African nations is being torn down? Factories are shutting down shop and moving to places where it's cheaper to operate, usually because energy and resource costs are so high in Africa due to poor infrastructure. Literally thousands of exciting new jobs have disappeared...

okay, back to topic...
I agree Chizip! I've been sorta thinking Crumbs might replace or be used in rotation with One with a different audience/campaign..I also think Europeans would be less likely to get bent out of shape hearing Crumbs as part of a plea for action than americans would be somehow...

cheers!

Actually, The ONE Campaign is about 250,000 people short of 1 million signatures, which is why they sent out this action alert to all of us last week:

Dear Friend,

This summer, President Bush and seven other leaders from the world's wealthiest nations will gather to discuss the fate of the ONE billion people around the world living in extreme poverty. In early July, the Group of Eight (G8) will discuss the major social, political and economic conditions that contribute to extreme poverty. There are historic plans in place to beat poverty in Africa and the poorest countries. This is our chance to support our leaders in making these plans a reality. Let's raise our voices as ONE to Make Poverty History.

Tell your friends about ONE today!

Your voice is already making a difference. Yesterday's Washington Post featured ONE and our efforts to build "a permanent big-tent movement" to urge President Bush and other world leaders to take action at the G8 and lead an entire generation out of poverty. Together we can build this movement.

Ask your friends, family and colleagues to join us at this crucial moment

Together as ONE, we can let President Bush know Americans support the fight against global AIDS and poverty!

On June ONE, we will launch an unprecedented mobilization of Americans calling on President Bush to deliver a historic deal for the world's poor at the G8 Summit. If everyone who reads this e-mail encourages just 3 friends to join ONE, we will be well over ONE MILLION strong in time for the G8 Summit. That's ONE million voices united behind ONE message: Make Poverty History!

Make history this summer. Tell your friends that NOW is the time for action - ask them to join you for the largest-ever movement against global poverty in American history.

Thank you,

The ONE Team

-----------------------------

So those of us who support The ONE Campaign must continue our own efforts to get as many more people as we can to sign up for ONE this coming month so that the international white band movement can meet the G8 leaders with their combined petitions from all over the world putting pressure on these leaders to fulfill the promises that they have made to help Africa and the world's poorest people.

To learn more about this, check out:

http://www.whiteband.org :up:

daygloeyes2 said:

I agree. When someone like Bono has the influence to help out a great cause, he definetly shouldn't take advantage of having 20,000+ people in his audience who can listen to his message. :rolleyes:

I never said it wasn't a good thing, I support Bono in his cause.

Doesn't mean that whilst I acknowledge the cause, in my heart I just want to see/hear a U2 show and this is a more boring aspect to it.

Sheesh.

Originally posted by a bunch of people on this site
Bono needs to shut up about Africa / The political speeches are boring / Why don't they just play the music

I've never understood how people can be a fanatic about U2, but hate Bono's political speeches. The political aspect seems to be such a central and fundamental aspect of the band, that without it they would cease to be U2. Just my opinion of course. I would just think that if the political stuff bugs someone, then U2 would probably be the most annoying band in the world.

Last edited:
OffAxis said:

I've never understood how people can be a fanatic about U2, but hate Bono's political speeches. The political aspect seems to be such a central and fundamental aspect of the band, that without it they would cease to be U2. Just my opinion of course. I would just think that if the political stuff bugs someone, then U2 would probably be the most annoying band in the world.

Hush up silly bollox.

i would assume so that it would be over.

i would also assume bullet the blue sky has a different ending. if its even played at all in europe.

Back
Top Bottom