One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palace_Hero

Refugee, Note: Troll-like
The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference.
Does anyone agree with me that this song is just incredibly cliched and boring on this tour?

The song itself is monotonous and lacks real variation and emotion now, and I want to vomit EVERY TIME I hear those pathetic synths that play behind one of Bono's snoozey rants.

Palace_Hero said:
Does anyone agree with me that this song is just incredibly cliched and boring on this tour?

The song itself is monotonous and lacks real variation and emotion now, and I want to vomit EVERY TIME I hear those pathetic synths that play behind one of Bono's snoozey rants.

Nope - I don't. Sorry.

yeah i hate to say it, but its not really doing anything for me on this tour

i wouldnt go as far to say it makes me want to vomit though

I love the song, but on this tour, yes it hasn't been great.
I'd like to see something different at the end, say One Step Closer to Knowing worked in.

I can't explain why it hasn't done anything for me so far, but is hasn't.

yeah, to an extent. I mean, some songs, especialy some old ones lack some of the emotions that made great in the first place. I think that it's in Bono's singing that it's the problem. I mean, if you look at or even hear some old stuff he really puts his effort and soul into the songs. Im not quite hearing that this time around. I just came to that conclusion today. There is always room for improvement and I hope that the Chicago shows that were taped, I hope that they were emotionaly filled. They are still my boys!:wink:

Zooropa man said:
yeah, to an extent. I mean, some songs, especialy some old ones lack some of the emotions that made great in the first place. I think that it's in Bono's singing that it's the problem. I mean, if you look at or even hear some old stuff he really puts his effort and soul into the songs. Im not quite hearing that this time around. I just came to that conclusion today. There is always room for improvement and I hope that the Chicago shows that were taped, I hope that they were emotionaly filled. They are still my boys!:wink:

Yes, the Chicago shows had a lot of vibe. With regards to taping: Beautiful Day, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Electric Co., Pride, and Mysterious Ways stand out as being well received and had the energy to great on the DVD.

Beautiful Day during Chicago 1-3 brought the house down! Wow! :drool:

it may also be that one has been played at every show on every tour since it has been recorded, plus at every benefit show, that it just may be getting a little stale

there is only so much you can do with a song to keep it fresh, and i dont think the new ending is able to do that

i also have to say i watched the boston elevation dvd last night, and i was amazed at how bullet the blue sky has turned from one of my favorite songs of the show into one of my least favorite songs of the show in just one tour

drop bullet and one
drop them, thats it, problem solved, end of story
their glory live days ended....

add Dirty Day and So cruel instead
or Gone and Lemon

magic back

Nube Gris said:
drop bullet and one
drop them, thats it, problem solved, end of story
their glory live days ended....

or Gone and Lemon

magic back

i like the way you think

id also say drop sunday bloody sunday, pride, and new years day

but i wont be that greedy

Chizip, I still laugh when I remember looking over at you, ruffian and EPandAmerica and seeing you all looking bored and kinda going through the motions during Pride at Phoenix2. I myself stifled a yawn because I was so damned tired at that point.

But imagine all the people seeing U2 for the first time on this tour and all they want are the things we're a bit tired of.

I always think I could live without SBS but then people do go nuts when they hear it so I get excited about it again. I think One and Pride are probably for me the tiredest.

Nube Gris said:

or Gone and Lemon

magic back

I would wet myself. And by the time that tour happens, we'll all be wearing Depends.:sad:

I find myself skipping One when I listen to the boots. It's one of my favorite songs ever, but it doesn't really do much for me live (Zoo TV and some PopMart versions excepted).

i love the orchestral version of One.

I mean the song is my favourite song ever (closely followed by Original of the species.....oooooooooooooooya)

but its not a big showy concert number, even in the 'slow times'. its just to much heart for a cold empty stadium of idiots to take. It needs to be just me, u2 and my love.

I think these versions of One are the most emotional since ZooTV.

They're not going to ever drop One and Pride, so you'll have to deal with that. And the synths are fine. Just part of what made the studio version so brilliant.

I love the song and don't have a problem with the performances but I'm not feeling the whole Africa context. None of us, I hope, are against human rights but I already have a major case of middle class guilt already and whenever someone rich and famous starts talking about “starving kids in Africa” I have to admit my eyes roll back in my head. Am I a bad person for spending all the money I have on tickets, travel, and all the ancillary expenses? Should I have just given all the money to UNICEF? Don’t get me wrong I respect Bono and what he’s doing and if he were giving a timeshare presentation during the show I’d listen through that and probably enjoy it but my personal taste is for vulgar cursing Bono over preachy Bono any day. But that’s just me. :)

Chizip said:

i like the way you think

id also say drop sunday bloody sunday, pride, and new years day

but i wont be that greedy

Good points!

Dirty Day and/or So Cruel would fit in nicely.

I think SBS and NYD have stood the test of time better than One and Bullet on this tour though.

Yep, they recently dropped "New Years Day" from the playlist so maybe "One" is next, then "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I never thought they would drop NYD so nothing is out of the question but let's hope they DO NOT drop "ONE". It is a classic.

Palace_Hero said:

The only reason they are playing it is because it was a hit and a song that the hardcore and casual fan are familiar with. Not much passion in the performing this go round though. It seem that they're just going through the motions which is a pity. It was a great song.

It surely isn't going anywhere this tour. Bono's big speech about banding together as "One" to solve the worlds problems lead into the song.

it's still ONE for me, and although I think sometimes the actual performances aren't always great, it's still my favorite song, so I want it on the setlist.

I'm not against Bono's speeches on Africa leading into the song, but the ones on the Elevation tour seemed less
scripted. This tour he is basically saying the same exact things every night.

I will say that when all the cell phones light up and Bono asks for all the lights to be turned off is an amazing moment. Hearing "one" and seeing that is incredible for me.

One was fantastic at the 2nd Vcr show - the actual song, that is. Bono's stupid bullshit speech was boring as fuck though

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one put off by that speech before the song. A buddy I went to the show said to me, "F**k Africa! The only thing they’ve contributed to the world the last 100 years has been AIDS!" Kinda harsh but pretty accurate. The only time the world wants US intervention is when they want our money. They view us as stupid, fat, immoral, and easy marks.

Back
Top Bottom