On Interference it's 'The Ellipse' on Zootopia it's 'The Bomb Shelter'... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
I found it interesting that on this board, in large part, we all refer to 'getting into the ellipse'. However, I had a reason to check out Zootopia on U2.com the other day and noticed that they referred to it more often as 'the Bomb Shelter'.

I know it's the same thing, but I wonder why one group is referring to it as one name over the other? Where did that begin?

Just throwing this out there if anyone wants to do some sort of analysis.

If not, that's cool, too.

In one of the first shows, maybe even the first of the tour in San Diego, Bono referred to the area as the "Bomb Shelter." During the show, he asked, "How's everyone doing down there in the Bomb Shelter?" Since U2.com is the "official" site of U2, they took the name and ran with it. That's about all i know!

It's shaped like an ellipse, not a bomb shelter. A bomb shelter would involve a trap door, stair case, and lots of concrete. Plus "ellipse" is easier to type!

We call it The Ellipse because

A) We're cooler
B) We're geometry-minded

Right, I'm just saying that given both of the names that the stage area is called, I'm wondering why we like to call it 'the ellipse' here and they prefer to call it 'the bomb shelter' at U2.com.

Is it because one group is harder core than the other? Smarter? Cooler? :wink:

We still call it the Ellipse because that what U2.com started calling it in the beginning :shrug:

Sorry.. that's all I got! ;)

'Ellipse' is quicker to type, and unlike 'bomb shelter', 1. actually describes what it is and 2. doesn't sound stupid.

I'd say the Zootops call it the Bomb Shelter because Bono does. What I heard over there is that they called it that first and then Bono referred to it as such.

As for who's cooler/smarter/whatever...well, that depends.

Me, I like Bomb Shelter, but that's 'cause I just abbreviate it as "B.S." :wink:

Because Bono or someone from the band reads Zootopia. (someone who met Bono hinted they or probably someone from their "camp" read the boards, relates some of the stuff there back to them).

Bono referred to Edge as a Zootopian.

Allegedly, even before the tour started, someone from Zootopia called it the Bomb Shelter, and kinda pushed to get the name out there, lo and behold, opening night, Bono calls it the bomb shelter.

However, if Bono uses the term "Badam" then I'll know they read the boards, or have things reported back to them. ;)

I still never understood this "rivalry" among message boards, sheesh, I post at multiple U2 boards.

Zootopia for me is the funnest of the ones I post at though.

Last edited:
^Sebastian Clayton is U2's webmaster. Bit of nepotism there? I'm sure on occasion tidbits of postings get relayed to the group, for entertainment's sake. :wink:

I like it best when people call it the eClipse. Always gets a chuckle. Especially when 'die hard' fans on ebay are selling their Fan Club GA tickets with a chance to get in the eclipse.

I know U2 is great and all, but I dont think they control the sun or the moon, just earth.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It's shaped like an ellipse, not a bomb shelter. A bomb shelter would involve a trap door, stair case, and lots of concrete. Plus "ellipse" is easier to type!

Said with such raw passion :wink:
What's wrong with those people? Clearly they are unaware that it's missing the basic fundamentals of a bomb shelter.

Last edited:
Bomb Shelter is an easier phrase to use if you suffer from a lisp. In fact lisp is not an easy word to say if you suffer from a lisp which is a bit of a piss take.

Back
Top Bottom