Ok we have been waiting over 4 weeks now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was this just another case of Bonotalk that we shouldn't have taken seriously, much like any comment he makes about a new album?

and he did say he'd be back in November to 'reschedule' the dates. Not necessarily to actually 'perform' in November is my cynical read on it.

A local radio station reported that the tour won't start back up until October 2007 - in Sydney - hopefully they really meant 2006

:huh:

It wouldn't surprise me if they're holding the announcement of dates out of respect to the family or person who is ill, dosen't make sense to spread joy when a family is going through a hardship.

techfire said:
It wouldn't surprise me if they're holding the announcement of dates out of respect to the family or person who is ill, dosen't make sense to spread joy when a family is going through a hardship.

never thought of that actually
your probably right :'(

adrball said:
and he did say he'd be back in November to 'reschedule' the dates. Not necessarily to actually 'perform' in November is my cynical read on it.

Didn't he also say the new dates could be out as soon as 'tomorrow', though? (Disclaimer: never listened/watched any of the recent interviews, but I seem to recall reading this somewhere.)

I think that as a general rule, no-one should ever believe anything Bono says. Even if he says "my name is Bono", do not believe him until someone else can offer verification!

During that interview Bono appeared to be optimistic about the outcome of the ill family member. Unfortunately, maybe the situation is still bleak so the band is uncertain if it can guarantee the new dates.

I personally think they'll scrap the whole tour, the Bomb album will be 2 years old by then. I think they'll be ready to move on by then.

I understand the uncertainties and the logistics that they have to go through...

...but the lack of any firm announced dates has really tied my hands. I have a flight booked that is scheduled to leave in a few days (for the originally-scheduled HI show). I planned on re-scheduling my trip to the new date, paying whatever fees the airline required for the change ($150 on a approx $1500 trip is within my threshold of pain). But without any date to change my trip to, I have no choice but to fly out as scheduled and scrap any plans to go back to HI when they reschedule. You can't call the airline and ask them to change your itinerary to TBD. And once your scheduled travel date arrives, its either use or lose it.

I know, I know, there are worse things in life than having to spend some vacation time in HI. But I've been there a few times, and my sole purpose for this trip was to see the show. I would have liked the option of changing my trip to the new date, but with no announcement, that opportunity is passing by.

you should be able to cancel your flight with your carrier and receive a credit with them which you can use within a year of the original date. they will probably charge you a change fee but looks like you're already prepared for that so...

just call your carrier to confirm.

misugo said:
you should be able to cancel your flight with your carrier and receive a credit with them which you can use within a year of the original date. they will probably charge you a change fee but looks like you're already prepared for that so...

just call your carrier to confirm.

Exactly, that's what I did with my NZ and Hawaii flights on the same night the postponement was announced.

LuvandPeace1980 said:
Where are the re-scheduled dates that Bono promised over two weeks ago!
Sheesh

I'm nitpicking but it has been 22 days, which is 3 weeks, 1 day, which is not "over 4 weeks".

This has become a joke. 84 Days ago Bono said on the Denton show that tour dates were imminent “maybe the next day”

This is a lie, and I use the word advisedly because it is a harsh word and not something I would like to accuse Bono of, but this is a blatant lie! He knew darn well it take a long time to reschedule those dates. Yet he insisted on misleading ticket holders and fans.. But why would he do this? He plainly said “I didn't want to leave Australia without having that hammered down”

I’m starting to cast doubts wether the tour is going to be rescheduled at all. It has been 84 days and not one date has been “officially” declared on U2.com or management. It would make more sense for them to just cancel the tour make an album and start the next tour In Australia.

Another thing to remember is that U2 can schedule these shows anyway they want. No member of U2 needs to be away from North America for more than 2 days at a time. This includes the crazy flight times.

u2fp

Neenie said:
This has become a joke. 84 Days ago Bono said on the Denton show that tour dates were imminent “maybe the next day”

This is a lie, and I use the word advisedly because it is a harsh word and not something I would like to accuse Bono of, but this is a blatant lie! He knew darn well it take a long time to reschedule those dates. Yet he insisted on misleading ticket holders and fans.. But why would he do this? He plainly said “I didn't want to leave Australia without having that hammered down”

I’m starting to cast doubts wether the tour is going to be rescheduled at all. It has been 84 days and not one date has been “officially” declared on U2.com or management. It would make more sense for them to just cancel the tour make an album and start the next tour In Australia.

I thought the main message of the infamous Denton interview was not so much "dates maybe imminent tomorrow" but more "we are coming back to Australia, it looks like November". Since none of the info was specific/definite, I don't consider it lying. Overhyping and stretching the truth? Maybe.

For all we know, the plan at the time might have very well been "go with the dates asap" and then something came up.

I think whoever said "November" and especially "imminent dates, maybe announced tomorrow" to Bono should have come out and say something. I'm guessing it was one of the Australian promotors. If not that, a note from the management would have been nice. (if, indeed, there is something to be said - simply saying "wait, we're working on it" won't last forever)

Remember Edge also said they're working out the dates, and Rocko Reedy said he's still opening for U2.
(I'm assuming the rumoured Dec Hawaii date is just that, a rumour, since no other dates have been talked about)

Last edited:
According to Aloha Stadium personnel, the Dec. 9 date has been offered to the band. There has been no reply from the band's management confirming the date or requesting another. Since all rumors of the pacific rim dates seem to be based on the Hawaii "tentative" date, I think it's safe to assume that there is little effort to reschedule the cancelled shows. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I was looking forward to a warm vacation.

klausvan said:
According to Aloha Stadium personnel, the Dec. 9 date has been offered to the band. There has been no reply from the band's management confirming the date or requesting another. Since all rumors of the pacific rim dates seem to be based on the Hawaii "tentative" date, I think it's safe to assume that there is little effort to reschedule the cancelled shows. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I was looking forward to a warm vacation.

I think that seeing the band are back together again for song writing sessions, the rescheduled dates look like they will be put back to the first leg of the next tour - which is probably some way off.

To be honest the whole thing both sucks and blows. I think it's pretty poor of U2's Management to have not released one single statement just updating the fans with what is going on. I fail to believe that they don't know that people are having a grumble about this on the various U2 boards either.

It was reported that 'well informed industry insiders' saw the postponement as a cushion to take the blow of a cancellation later down the track and I think that is probably what is going to happen. Maybe initially U2 had every intention of rescheduling for November/December, but going on the latest reports and the fact that there has not been a single official word uttered for over three months, I think it's probably looking like us ticket holders are in for some bad news soon.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I'm just telling it as I see it.

neilm said:

It was reported that 'well informed industry insiders' saw the postponement as a cushion to take the blow of a cancellation later down the track and I think that is probably what is going to happen. Maybe initially U2 had every intention of rescheduling for November/December, but going on the latest reports and the fact that there has not been a single official word uttered for over three months, I think it's probably looking like us ticket holders are in for some bad news soon.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I'm just telling it as I see it.

The thing is though, it wouldnt "cushion" the blow at all, it would make it much much worse to take. Everyone understood the reason for the postponement, that's fair enough, but if after all this time of waiting and more waiting we find out its not going to happen, after being lied to that it would happen, well... it would be very bad, and a LOT of respect would be lost.
There's no reason for U2 not to tour, so I am expecting that they will.

Neenie said:

I was abused by pretty much everyone here when I criticised u2 for not disclosing more information at the time. It's been so long now and people are still defending them. I'm a huge fan but this is not right, us fans deserve better!!

ChargedVT said:

The thing is though, it wouldnt "cushion" the blow at all, it would make it much much worse to take. Everyone understood the reason for the postponement, that's fair enough, but if after all this time of waiting and more waiting we find out its not going to happen, after being lied to that it would happen, well... it would be very bad, and a LOT of respect would be lost.
There's no reason for U2 not to tour, so I am expecting that they will.

Too right, it wouldn't be a cushion, not one bit.

Thanks For Your Patience

We at U2.com would like to thank you for your patience around the recent postponement of the Vertigo Tour dates. As we're sure you can appreciate, changes of this nature generate a great deal of work behind the scenes.

We hope to have the situation resolved soon. We apologise for the delay and thank you again for your continued patience.

this is very gentlemanly -- and would have been even more so a few weeks back, before the band was seen at political fundraisers, making speeches, making World Cup ads, etc.

But obviously they're listening (maybe the "can we take legal action" thread got their attention...)

MacHat said:

Too right, it wouldn't be a cushion, not one bit.

Sorry, fellow fans, but I am getting the strange feeling that something more is going on here and with the exception of this most recent official statement, their silence has been quite deafening.

Treatment for illness does take a while, so maybe things aren't "resolved" yet. Life can turn on a dime, as we all know.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make it back out on the road this year.

Sorry, just my $.02

Why are they doing press statements about working on new material? Also think about all the sightings of the band members in the past several months.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom