Ok we have been waiting over 4 weeks now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:
Why are they doing press statements about working on new material? Also think about all the sightings of the band members in the past several months.

u2fp

So.....one person is ill and everyone else is expected to sit around a mope? :scratch:

phanan said:

He had time to play in New Orleans, though. :shrug:

Playing 1 or two shows (read support the cause he co-founded) on his own and playing 10 shows with the whole U2 crew involved are not the same thing.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

So.....one person is ill and everyone else is expected to sit around a mope? :scratch:

Are Australians supposed to sit happily holding their dateless tickets while Bono and U2.com make public announcements about recording(particularly if it's not done in LA) while being silent about 4th Leg shows are even happening in the foreseeable future?

Keep in mind that the "next couple days" comments Bono made on Aussie TV seems to ruffle feathers the most - and u2.com adds further comments that could confuse the matter?

All official sources were completely silent for about 6 weeks when the Vertigo tour opening leg went into reshuffling mode 18 months ago.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Are Australians supposed to sit happily holding their dateless tickets while Bono and U2.com make public announcements about recording(particularly if it's not done in LA) while being silent about 4th Leg shows are even happening in the foreseeable future?

Yes.

Be happy that you aren't dealing with an illness that is keeping you from doing what you love.

U2FanPeter said:

So you want Bono et al to stop by and attempt to play the shows without a crew?!?!

Don't say anything about the lack of announcements, we get it, we're all annoyed/angry too. I'm annoyed, I understand, yadda yadda.

But if you're complaining about Bono going to Africa and doing various things and Edge going to NO and everyone getting in the studio...well, what do you expect the alternative to be? Some half-assed concert with no promotion, no equipment, no stage crew, no one to work the lights, sound, and video, probably taking place in some field b/c the venues aren't available anymore.....? Seriously, I'd like to know...

So you want Bono et al to stop by and attempt to play the shows without a crew?!?!

Don't say anything about the lack of announcements, we get it, we're all annoyed/angry too. I'm annoyed, I understand, yadda yadda.

But if you're complaining about Bono going to Africa and doing various things and Edge going to NO and everyone getting in the studio...well, what do you expect the alternative to be? Some half-assed concert with no promotion, no equipment, no stage crew, no one to work the lights, sound, and video, probably taking place in some field b/c the venues aren't available anymore.....? Seriously, I'd like to know...

They could say that all 4 of them spent time in the same room re-aquainting themselves with the Vertigo tour songs so they don't forget them.

They could throw Aussie fans a bone by allowing recent u2 performance to be aired on TV or radio. Nothing super-rare, just something to know to know they haven't forgotten them.

I saw Bono do a 2 hour speech about his debt stuff in Portland in Oct. 2004. Even though the album was just about to drop he said only passing references to his day job at u2. Why is he making u2 statements in current speeches? He never made mention that the group would actually play the ciy on the upcoming tour.

U2FanPeter said:

while Bono and U2.com make public announcements about recording

When were there "official announcements" about recording? Are you referring to Bono's "I'd like to get campaigning out of the way so we can get back in the studio next month" interview?

I will consider the new album work official once U2.com and/or fans in Dublin (via talking to the band members) confirm they're working on it... and exactly what the plan is. EP or album? And once they announce the name of the producer.

Got this reply from Coppel company today, its different from last time....

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we still do not have any confirmed dates and nor have I been given an indication of when they will be announced. As soon as it is all confirmed it will be released immediately to the public. "

That last sentence seems to indicate the shows will indeed go ahead. (I hope)
At least we will know THE MINUTE they do.

U2FanPeter said:

They could say that all 4 of them spent time in the same room re-aquainting themselves with the Vertigo tour songs so they don't forget them.

How would this help anything? They usually only rehearse a few weeks before a new tour why would they rehearse months ahead? :huh:

U2FanPeter said:

They could throw Aussie fans a bone by allowing recent u2 performance to be aired on TV or radio. Nothing super-rare, just something to know to know they haven't forgotten them.
What? What recent performance? They haven't forgotten what exactly?

U2FanPeter said:

I saw Bono do a 2 hour speech about his debt stuff in Portland in Oct. 2004. Even though the album was just about to drop he said only passing references to his day job at u2. Why is he making u2 statements in current speeches? He never made mention that the group would actually play the ciy on the upcoming tour.

This just doesn't make sense at all.

U2FanPeter said:

Uh, I thought Bono was just saying they were going into the studio

Recent performance? The South American shows were on TV. There have been performances since then?

What? I honestly don't understand what you are saying here or what this has to do with U2 returning to Australia ASAP. I saw Bono give a long speech last month and he didn't make any "U2 statements". I have no idea what your last sentence means.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How would this help anything? They usually only rehearse a few weeks before a new tour why would they rehearse months ahead? :huh:

The last several U2 tours have had MONTHS of rehearsals and prep work prior to launch. The December finish of POP wreaked havoc with the late April Vegas debut.

I would be more than 2 weeks rehearsal to get the Vertigo back up to their standards. Edge barely remembers how to play his parts after a tour - and has admitted such in the past. There's also the question if the added shows will get something different rather than a xerox of the Euro or Latin dates.

I DO think it is a double standard for U2.com(presumably signed off by the bands management) to make statements about possibly U2 activity while a week later asking for patience regarding ignoring Aussie fans questions for a couple months.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

The last several U2 tours have had MONTHS of rehearsals and prep work prior to launch. The December finish of POP wreaked havoc with the late April Vegas debut.

I would be more than 2 weeks rehearsal to get the Vertigo back up to their standards. Edge barely remembers how to play his parts after a tour - and has admitted such in the past. There's also the question if the added shows will get something different rather than a xerox of the Euro or Latin dates.

I DO think it is a double standard for U2.com(presumably signed off by the bands management) to make statements about possibly U2 activity while a week later asking for patience regarding ignoring Aussie fans questions for a couple months.

u2fp

I wasnt going to comment on this, but this post I have to.

Yes, they rehearse for several months at the start of a brand new tour and typically after being in the studio for several years. They also have to rehearse on a new stage and get the production down iron out what songs they want to do and a basic setlist. None of this will come into play for the make up dates if they happen. It was only 3 1/2 months ago they played. They may require an extra few days or possibly a week if and when they make up the shows. But there is no way they are going to need to spend anywhere near 2 months or even a month rehearsal for the make up dates. So I'm not sure what your point is here? :shrug:

Blue Room said:

I wasnt going to comment on this, but this post I have to.

Yes, they rehearse for several months at the start of a brand new tour and typically after being in the studio for several years. They also have to rehearse on a new stage and get the production down iron out what songs they want to do and a basic setlist. None of this will come into play for the make up dates if they happen. It was only 3 1/2 months ago they played. They may require an extra few days or possibly a week if and when they make up the shows. But there is no way they are going to need to spend anywhere near 2 months or even a month rehearsal for the make up dates. So I'm not sure what your point is here? :shrug:

So come the tentative November dates, Bono's voice will be close to Vertigo tour shape after 7-8 months off with 3 weeks rehearsal?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

So come the tentative November dates, Bono's voice will be close to Vertigo tour shape after 7-8 months off with 3 weeks rehearsal?

u2fp

What are you even talking about?? WOW Are you implying it takes Bono 2 months to warm up his voice before a tour???? :huh:

I'm sorry I even replied in this thread. :yikes:

blueeyedgirl said:
Ah, the old chestnut about we Australians being heartless bastards and only caring about ourselves! :happy:

Well, we know you are anyway. :wink: :D

<<Are you implying it takes Bono 2 months to warm up his voice before a tour?>>

Blue Room said:

They may require an extra few days or possibly a week if and when they make up the shows.

Go to youtube.com watch BAD from "farmclub" USTV from Oct. 2000. Take careful attention of both attempted "Wide Awake" parts. This was about 2 weeks into ATYCLB live tv promotion and 8 days after a 9-song set in a Paris club. I'm sure they would have rehearsed at least 1 week prior to the first tv/radio gig.

If you reiterate the your above 2 quotes.......I promise never to make any more postings in any threads relating to the postponed shows until they are officially announced. OK?

I just want to have you on record.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
<<Are you implying it takes Bono 2 months to warm up his voice before a tour?>>

Go to youtube.com watch BAD from "farmclub" USTV from Oct. 2000. Take careful attention of both attempted "Wide Awake" parts. This was about 2 weeks into ATYCLB live tv promotion and 8 days after a 9-song set in a Paris club. I'm sure they would have rehearsed at least 1 week prior to the first tv/radio gig.

If you reiterate the your above 2 quotes.......I promise never to make any more postings in any threads relating to the postponed shows until they are officially announced. OK?

I just want to have you on record.

u2fp

Uh, you said 2+ months, he said 2 days to a week. Biiiiiiiiiiig difference there, buddy.

Still, I'm lost as to what any of your subsequen posts have to do with your arguement that they should return to Australia immediately and play a few gigs. Now you're saying it takes them over 2 months to rehearse? So why did you want them to come back ASAP then, if you're now arguing they need to start rehearsing in a room together instead? You're going in circles. I'm totally lost.

A couple of things:

* Its not just Vertigo songs U2 need to rehearse, but Elevation songs as well as Elevation wasn't toured in Australia. Ages ago The Edge said that U2 would play some of the All That blah blah songs on the Vertigo tour as we missed out on the Elevation tour. (I have no idea how long it takes to rehearse songs I just wanted to point out the set list is supposed to be different for Australia, and more than likely NZ, Japan, and Hawaii too)

* U2 haven't been shown on Australian tv for ages. The South American shows may have been broadcast in South America but not here (unless I missed it
)

Shag On A Rock said:
A couple of things:

* Its not just Vertigo songs U2 need to rehearse, but Elevation songs as well as Elevation wasn't toured in Australia. Ages ago The Edge said that U2 would play some of the All That blah blah songs on the Vertigo tour as we missed out on the Elevation tour. (I have no idea how long it takes to rehearse songs I just wanted to point out the set list is supposed to be different for Australia, and more than likely NZ, Japan, and Hawaii too)

* U2 haven't been shown on Australian tv for ages. The South American shows may have been broadcast in South America but not here (unless I missed it
)

The setlist they were doing in S. America is similiar to what Australia/Japan/Hawaii will get if the shows are done. May be a change or two, but nothing that requires extensive additional rehearsal. In fact, they will probably just work on some of it at soundcheck before some of the shows. After all, before the tour was postponed they didnt have a huge block of additional time reserved for rehearsals to work on new songs for Australia. So they obviously werent planning to change the setlist drastically at all when the dates were originally scheduled. :shrug:

Uh, you said 2+ months, he said 2 days to a week. Biiiiiiiiiiig difference there, buddy.

Still, I'm lost as to what any of your subsequen posts have to do with your arguement that they should return to Australia immediately and play a few gigs. Now you're saying it takes them over 2 months to rehearse? So why did you want them to come back ASAP then, if you're now arguing they need to start rehearsing in a room together instead? You're going in circles. I'm totally lost.

When I say 2 months, it's 2 months of Bono using his vocal chords for singing - could be studio or rehearsals. I do think the band could be in trouble with 2 days - 1 week of rehearsal after minimal contact with one another over 6 months.

There are ways to remind Aussie fans that they are not forgotten/ignored without commiting to tourdates or any fixed timetable. ie: Chicago/Slane on TV, EP full of Bsides(already circulating) or a very brief spoken TV appearance. Mention that the stage is still in Sydney storage or that they spent several million re-arranging their schedule(s). No family specifics are needed.

It's ridiculous that fans have to consider possible legal recourse(potentially valid) to get a simple answer from their favourite band.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
It's ridiculous that fans have to consider possible legal recourse(potentially valid) to get a simple answer from their favourite band.

No, it's ridiculous that fans would even consider possible legal recourse to get a simple answer from their favorite band.

corianderstem said:

No, it's ridiculous that fans would even consider possible legal recourse to get a simple answer from their favorite band.

:up:

U2FanPeter, Bono's voice quality has very little to nothing to do with ammount of rehearsal. In fact too much can weaken his voice.

Shag On A Rock said:
Its not just Vertigo songs U2 need to rehearse, but Elevation songs as well as Elevation wasn't toured in Australia. Ages ago The Edge said that U2 would play some of the All That blah blah songs on the Vertigo tour as we missed out on the Elevation tour.

F*ck. that would suck. I hope he was lying. :wink:

U2FanPeter: Seriously. You're a bit.... lost. I see you are in Canada. Are you planning on flying to Australia for these shows? If so I can understand why you are getting more jumpy the closer it gets. But still, your logic makes close to zero sense. Drop the legal shit, it is beyond ridiculous.

This one is really very easy: U2 are touring Australia in late November/early December and they won't announce a thing confirming the dates or what to do with your tickets till it is 100% confirmed and in place. This is completely in line with absolutely everything U2 have ever done before. In the meantime they are doing other stuff. Good PR? Perhaps not, but you know this is how it was always going to play out.

The weeks ahead

Word is that it shouldn't be too long before we get more news on the postponed Vertigo Tour dates.

Arthur Fogel from TNA, the international promoters of U2’s Vertigo Tour told U2.com this week, “We've been working hard to get news for ticket holders and we hope to have some answers/an announcement within the next few weeks”.

We know many U2 fans are trying to make plans for the year ahead, but with this in from TNA, hopefully your wait is close to over.

- From U2.com

:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom