ok so who was at the tip on the outside of the ellipse for SD1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
im angry as hell still about what happened last week. and no, dont tell me to get over it. christ, i've been a fan since i was 12 years old now im 33. SD1 was possibly one of the worst concert experiences of my life.

when i got into the building after getting my tix scanned, i got right to the tip of the ellipse on the outside. second person behind another person to railing. which was semi ok with me, since there was a very tall guy standing in front of me. ah well...nothing i can do about it. i knew him from interference, but was disappointed later on when i realized he was trying to get his girlfriend up to the front. im a very short person, so i cant see a damned thing when i was standing behind him. i also worked my ass off for this spot. so i didnt want to lose my spot to someone else because they were stuck in the back. im disappointed to say the least. but thats just me i guess. its not fair.

before, and during kings of leon, someone was elbowing bg in the head, and i felt alot of shoving against me. oh yeah. someone grabbed my ass from behind too. i didnt know whether to laugh or cry. then there was no air. i had to leave because i KNEW i was goinna pass out not to mention i felt like i was in a boxing ring in the ultimate fighting chamipionships. bg came out after three songs visibly upset. did i mention the crowd cheered when people started leaving the front of the raililng? fucking assholes. i ended up sitting on the floor most of the time in the back when we did rejoin the ga floor. thats how fucked up i was.

i would love to give a big thank you to STAFF PRO for checking on me every 5-10 minutes to see if i was ok. they fucking rule. and i mean that sincerely.

all this talk in one of the threads i saw in the forums a month ago...about peace and love and shit..."i challenge you..." it was called...all of them hypocrites. dont tell me otherwise. i didnt experience that.

yeah, so i want to know who was at the tip of the ellipse. because i have a message for you assholes who made mne and bg's night unforgettably nightmarish: bono is not a fucking deity. he wont fucking heal you if you touch the hem of his cloth. he wont change your life for the better. he's in the building. he's not going to get any closer to you if you lunge forward and crush someone else at the same time. think of the person in front of you on how NOT to hurt them. is that so fucking hard?

so if you were the ones who were all pushy shovy, i just want to thank you...no...wait...not thank you. i just wanted you to know what your rabid desire to get two inches closer to a man who doesnt even know you exists cost me that night.

*edited for spelling and punctuation*

Last edited:
korczykp said:
sounds like what typically happens in GA :eyebrow:

Trust me on this... icelle's and bg's experience was anything but typical. They definately saw the worst in people that day.

meh, it's just that I've been GA to quite a few shows, and that sounds quite like what happens at every show I've been to..

I've never been to U2 though, I guess the expectation is for crowds to me more tame at U2 shows?

U2 crowds in past have always been pretty respectful for one another. In fact we've always looked out for each other. However there was absolutely none of that during that show. Maybe it was the excitement of the Opening night. Who knows. In any case if you do find yourself in GA at all during this tour please help out your fellow fans. If you see someone that obviously needs help, for God's sake help them.

Come on.. You guys want GA or not! :eyebrow:

Just watch the Slane DVD once more and think of how 'easy' GA in the USA is... In Europe áll shows stadium, arena or theatre are GA and you just have to deal with these things when you want to be in the front...

And I'm not saying it's alright that happened.. I'm just saying that shoving, pushing and 'chaos' is what you cán expect when your in front of the GA... Personally I would find a 'safe' spot in the pit if I was smaller... The pit is not overcrowded so even smaller people have all the room, just not in the front row...

Personally I've never seen fights or anything, but a push here and there álways happens. U2 attracts a more common audience of course, but I've seen moshing at U2 concerts before so... It's just what you can expect with GA...

Last edited:
This highlights why I've gone for seats this tour. I've always gone GA for past tours but on Elevation during the first night at Earls Court, a friend and myself got to the tip of the heart, one person from the railings. When the band came onstage, there was such a surge forwards that I was elbowed in the back and head and had to fight to keep my feet. My friend took such a blow to the back that she had to be dragged out and taken to first aid. Even though Bono and the band spent a while out on the tip, it was not worth it for the pushing and inconsiderance of the crowd. I stuck it out, but it was an exhausting and sore experience. I'm taking my wife to see them at Twickenham, and when it came to choosing tickets it was a no-brainer. For me, GA has lost it's thrill. Seats are far more preferable.

but achtung y'all... you don't háve to go stand up against the railing in the heart when you buy GA tickets? with elevation i spent the whole gig right in the middle of the pit and the pushing was only on the sides allong the railing...

hey, icelle, I feel for you cos I had to be pulled out of the crowd (being 3 people back from the front rail) at Lovetown during BB King's set and only got to see U2 from the stand (great show tho'). Since, then I've only seen U2 from miles away (ie the middle of the football field) or seated.

As for 'peace and love' amongst U2 fans at a concert, forget it. The absolute worst review I've ever read about a U2 concert was their "Longest Day", Milton Keynes, 22 July 1985, where they had a stellar all day lineup: Billy Bragg, Ramones, REM. Unfortunately it rained all day. What did the 'peaceful' U2 fans do? They chanted for the supports to get off and threw BOTTLES at the stage (even for example hitting Billy Bragg bang on his guitar). Some of these bottles were full too, and not always of their original liquid :tsk:

OK, so it was pissing down and they were standing in mud (usual English outdoor festival ;) ). That gives a U2 "fan" licence to behave like a thug? Apparently, amongst some, it does.

BTW, that review was in teh Melody Maker, up till then always respectful of U2 and not into bagging them, like the NME. I've never seen any mention of that show in any of the biographies, wonder why?

* edit cos I just remembered a passage in that review which told how when U2 were on stage, backstage the security had enough of every and any hanger on trying to get side of stage that they stopped everyone. Peter Buck (who had the appropriate pass and had after all played!) was refused entry to side of stage to watch U2. REM got up and left without saying goodbye. I LOVE Peter Buck...:heart:

Last edited:
achtung y'all said:
This highlights why I've gone for seats this tour. I've always gone GA for past tours but on Elevation during the first night at Earls Court, a friend and myself got to the tip of the heart, one person from the railings. When the band came onstage, there was such a surge forwards that I was elbowed in the back and head and had to fight to keep my feet. My friend took such a blow to the back that she had to be dragged out and taken to first aid. Even though Bono and the band spent a while out on the tip, it was not worth it for the pushing and inconsiderance of the crowd. I stuck it out, but it was an exhausting and sore experience. I'm taking my wife to see them at Twickenham, and when it came to choosing tickets it was a no-brainer. For me, GA has lost it's thrill. Seats are far more preferable.

hey i was the tip of the heart for the first show in london too! i was about 4 people back, so pretty close to you apparently

and no i wasnt one of the people pushing, i actually decided to move back after a while because i was tired of having to defend myself

I don't know what the deal was that first night. I watched through my binoculars :yikes: and thought to myself do I really want to keep my GAs for the rest of the tour?

I was GA on 5 out of the 7 Elevation concerts that I saw and not one of them was like SD1. I had 2nd row outside tip of the heart at Phoenix 1 and it was a bit rough during PJ but after U2 came one it calmed down and would only get snug when Bono was at the tip but people never got rude or violent. Boston 4 I was in the same place and never once had any problems at all.

I almost think that now that EVERYONE knows about U2's heart or oval there are more casual and even non fans that just want to say they went to a U2 concert are trying to get tickets and go to the shows.

I do know how aweful it is though I was first row at a Bon Jovi (don't laugh) concert in the 80's and I was truly waiting for a rib to break and puncture a lung at any moment. I begged security to pull me out and they said no that you had to pass out before they would! So I faked passing out and was lifted out. It was horrible!

Neilz said:
but achtung y'all... you don't háve to go stand up against the railing in the heart when you buy GA tickets? with elevation i spent the whole gig right in the middle of the pit and the pushing was only on the sides allong the railing...

Neilz, you're right - it was my choice to get in and go to the front. I had hoped to get into the heart but missed out by about 10 people. That said, you shouldn't be 'punished' by getting to the front. If I wanted to take a more distant view, I'd go for seats, which I am this time round.

Chizip said:

hey i was the tip of the heart for the first show in london too! i was about 4 people back, so pretty close to you apparently

and no i wasnt one of the people pushing, i actually decided to move back after a while because i was tired of having to defend myself

Small world, hey Chizip?! I stuck it out at the front and the pushing died down eventually. Pretty spectacular night though as was London night 2.

isn't this kind of silly whining?? i mean c'mon: it's a GA crowd. if you want to get up close to the stage (and for intensive purposes, the ellipse is a stage...) you should expect the crowd to be pushing, shoving, etc... it's the reality of the GA experience, and not just a U2 thing. if, however, this isn't your thing, DON'T try for the stage-side experience. seems pretty straight forward.

innominata8 said:
isn't this kind of silly whining?? i mean c'mon: it's a GA crowd. if you want to get up close to the stage (and for intensive purposes, the ellipse is a stage...) you should expect the crowd to be pushing, shoving, etc... it's the reality of the GA experience, and not just a U2 thing. if, however, this isn't your thing, DON'T try for the stage-side experience. seems pretty straight forward.

I get what you're saying about GA but seriously did you not read icelle's story? Noone respected her or her friend. I think that's really shitty. You're telling me that people should be felt up? People should be respectful of others and it's kind of sad that Icelle had to deal with that...Noone should have to make a point of pushing and shoving just because you are in GA.

:|

Thanks for that insightful, insipid advice innominata8. If you read the posts the general idea is that GA ain't my thing anymore. I'll leave that to the headstrong like yourself. Hey, that IS pretty straightforward.

Neilz said:
Come on.. You guys want GA or not! :eyebrow:

... In Europe áll shows stadium, arena or theatre are GA and you just have to deal with these things when you want to be in the front...

I'm not picking on you here Neilz. But not all European shows are GA.

I agree with the second half of your sentence above. You just have to deal with it. Sad and all as it is, but I would not go into any GA area if I wasn't as tall as I am.

I guess that is why the bomb shelter is so coveted - you get to be up close and personal without the dangers of the GA as faced by those on the outside rail.

U2Girl1978 said:

I get what you're saying about GA but seriously did you not read icelle's story? Noone respected her or her friend. I think that's really shitty. You're telling me that people should be felt up? People should be respectful of others and it's kind of sad that Icelle had to deal with that...Noone should have to make a point of pushing and shoving just because you are in GA.

:|

i wasn't trying to rationalize the behavior or say that it's ok to grope people. personally, i agree with icelle that that behavior sucks. however, when you are GA and want to be up against the stage 'where the action is', you need to understand that some of that action isn't going to what you're looking for. people will push, shove, scream, flail arms, etc...all in the name of trying to get as close to the stage as possible. if someone doesn't want to deal with that, then they need to determine whether their desire to avoid it is stronger than their desire to be up front.

innominata8 said:

i wasn't trying to rationalize the behavior or say that it's ok to grope people. personally, i agree with icelle that that behavior sucks. however, when you are GA and want to be up against the stage 'where the action is', you need to understand that some of that action isn't going to what you're looking for. people will push, shove, scream, flail arms, etc...all in the name of trying to get as close to the stage as possible. if someone doesn't want to deal with that, then they need to determine whether their desire to avoid it is stronger than their desire to be up front.

i've had GA before at two elevation shows, first show right in front of adam in the heart, and second elevation show at the tip of the heart adam side again against the railing. the crowd was actually pretty cool. very mellow. now it seems nobody can enjoy the shows anymore.

excuse me for the silly whining, but i dont think i cried this much over something i've waited so long for. it felt like i paid 32.50 to stand in the hallway with great friends consoling each other. and another 32.50 to enjoy the music when we did venture back into the floor.

am i brave (or stupid) enough to try GA again? with the possibilty of more friends watching out for me for vegas...probably. i'll have to start working out again.

Icelle, I'm so disappointed to hear what happened to you and BG in the GA. The first night there was a lot of pushing (I was two rows from the rail) and it turned out it was really just about three people, but they blamed on people behind them. The second night I was on the rail, and no one behind me looked like they were getting jostled around. I don't think I felt anyone push once.

I'd like to think that the majority of fans can respect people's space, but I know that isn't always the case. I hope future shows are better for you. :hug:

I was three people back on the floor of Anaheim 1, and had a completely different experience. Everyone was fairly respectful of each other's space -- except for the tall big-boned fellow right next to me who toked up halfway through and starting spinning like a whirling dervish, forcing me to stand between him and my wife for the rest of the show. But other than that, and the fight that broke out before Kings of Leon a few rows behind me, it was fairly mellow and everyone gave each other their space.

I'd like to think Icelle's experience was the exception rather than the rule, but I realize it might not be.... makes me nervous about my Dublin GAs. Wonder how much worse it will be in Europe?

The problem here is that it seems that the band is selling A LOT more GA tickets this time around. I was at SD, AN, and LA and it seemed that the floor was just jammed with people. During the Elevation tour it was a lot easier to move around.

Also, because of the new and horrible lottery procedure, people seem to be pushing and shoving a lot more to get to the front.

Last edited:
Icelle,
The experience you related in your post reminded me of a Beastie Boys concert I saw in 2004, on which I wrote a little something. I decided to start my own thread on it, because it turned out longer than expected. Please check it out: "How is the audience on the floor?"

Icelle, I completely feel your pain, both emotionally and physically. I was also at SD1, and Edge's side of the ellipse. I had been at 13 shows during Elevation, half in the heart, and the other on the tip, and I had great experiences at each show. Everyone was very respectufl of each other. I also had those massive beef cake men constantly checking on me. SD1, all bets were off.We had people physically pushing us to get front of us, four girls against 4 jerk off guys. We kindly asked them to move, and they said no.....They were constantly trying to elbow us, etc. We had camped out all day, and these %$&* showed up at 8:30 and thought nothing about cutting in front as many people as they could. I had bruises all over my body after the show from these so called "men." The crowd in general seemed very aggressive, etc. Don't know if its in reaction to the lottery. I had GA tickets for 3 shows, which I have since traded for seats.

I know how she feels, I was at SD1, 3 people back from the rail. I did pass out in the middle and had to be pulled over. The shoving and heat was really awful. SD2 was much better, probably because I lined up at 5 am and was able to get the railing. Still, I think people were super aggressive the first night.

I have a feeling that it was because it was opening night. :slant:

I have been second from the rail on the Elevation tour in Oakland, absolutely no shoving. I was in the heart in Vegas, no shoving. I was in front row in the ellipse the other night in San Jose, absolutely no shoving. Now, I dont know if I have just been lucky, or if the crowd in my area (bay area) are just more respectful or what.. but I would probably feel the same way Icelle and BG did if that happened to me.

I really think it comes down to specific locations or dates.. venues etc. But over all I have to say that U2 fans ARE more respectful than any other fans. I was smashed to fuck at an Offspring concert years ago and I seriously thought I was going to die. Security had to pull me out from the front and it was not a pleasant experience, so I feel for you guys.

Bet anything you will have a totally different experience next time :hug:

I have to agree with Sicy - I have to think it was more because it was opening night and the specific venue than an overall GA thing. I had no shoving/pushing problems at all on my 2 Elevation GA shows, and absolutely no pushing problems at all at the first San Jose Vertigo show - and I was near the "tip" of the ellipse. Everyone was actually surprisingly cool and respectful of everyone's space.

Back
Top Bottom