Nothings changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok the point is that u2 shows suffers from the same strutural problems back that time or that some people now and that time can't see more that their own tastes?
i think boot

I don't think you can say that a post from 1992 about Achtung baby being a horrible album is crap....this was such a huge change I'm sure (not that I was a fan then) and it takes a while for change, I'm of the opinion that that long from now more people will be receptive to HTDAAB.

Very interesting!!! What a goof. I guess this guy doesnt understand reinvention or creative growth. His loss. Maybe hes learned to accept it. We can't bash him too much. I listened to AB right off and I just didn't have any opinion of it. I listened to every song right away and I just kind of listened and didn't "get it" right away. (Besides Until The End of the World, One, and Mysterious Ways, which I had already heard) The second listen I started to really like The Fly and Wild Horses and Ultraviolet... and then by the third listen I loved almost every song. Maybe this guy just needed some time... like... 10 years LOL

bono_212 said:
I don't think you can say that a post from 1992 about Achtung baby being a horrible album is crap....this was such a huge change I'm sure (not that I was a fan then) and it takes a while for change, I'm of the opinion that that long from now more people will be receptive to HTDAAB.

this has been a laugh ...seeing these older quotes on AB

I am still/and was a fan from IWF/OOC single onward.......
WAR was the album I thought really totally 'clinched' it for me as a musical band . I had not sen them live yet...
.....but was going on a short but very postive review from their pre-USA visits: London Marquee Club gig an Punk/new wave zine writer/editor wrote back in Fall '80

I really loved Joshua Tree too as it took them highter creativity-wise....

maybe it was the long wait and the fact that I was very involved with a different creative area & fandom in my life {mostly non-music/R&R} mrealted}{.

ANd although I HAD heard about the net by 91-92 any of you guys who were on it...it WAS more of the Interent ie rec.groups etc then, then the Web as it would become changed & known by......

so I didn't have any close U2 fan friends that had a inside track on their goings on..... after R&H to AB.

but i was absoulutely & happily floored by AB!!!
It's Still my fav......def have strong love for several songs off Zooropa
but think that Bomb is very, Very close, sometimes side by side with AB!

and altho there are several songs on ATYCLB that are stellar material in all ways.......I think Bomb overall is DEF better in all round & stellar quaility

Now Ialso love {but later on as I didn't hear much on the radio to buy it with less funds at that point then] POP.......

I do have somewhat eclectic musical tastes :D

Last edited:
Sting said:
Maybe this guy just needed some time... like... 10 years LOL

Or maybe, you know, some people actually do think Achtung Baby and ZooTV were crap.

Like I do (by U2 standards, at least).

Not sure how many of you guys were around then, U2-wise...I've been into U2 since '83 and I can tell you, that guy's opinion of AB was very typical. At the time a lot of people liked U2 for their "message"...whereas today most folks (around here anyway) complain about Bono's speeches etc. For them, the more personal themes of AB were a major turn-off. Also keep in mind that U2 didn't have nearly the music catalog that they've got now; many people saw no reason to retire favorites like SBS & NYD, not to mention 40.

Re: ZooTV...at the time the U2 concert experience had been the stripped down "all about the music" type of gig. At this point we're used to the spectacle, after Zoo, Pop, and Vertigo...but in '92 ZooTV was a radical departure from what they'd done before.

Just something to keep in mind. Of course, music is a matter of taste...and it's easy to lose perspective, especially here at Interference where it seems the majority are very positive about AB/Zoo & Pop/Popmart, but there are/were a lot of fans who never did "get" the '90's U2, and think everything post-R&H is crap to this day.

And while we're at it...not sure you could find anything online, maybe, but there was a ton of U2-bashing going on over R&H. You can guess the general theme I'm sure...a bunch of self-righteous American critics who labeled U2 "phony" for all the American-music-love surrounding R&H, and a bunch or European critics trying to make a buck, trashing U2 as "wanna-be Americans" (of course that never stopped, did it?). The R&H bashers, now THERE were a bunch of idiots :(

Wow this is a rambling post...I shouldn't post after midnight I guess :)

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Not sure how many of you guys were around then, U2-wise...I've been into U2 since '83 and I can tell you, that guy's opinion of AB was very typical. At the time a lot of people liked U2 for their "message"...whereas today most folks (around here anyway) complain about Bono's speeches etc. For them, the more personal themes of AB were a major turn-off. Also keep in mind that U2 didn't have nearly the music catalog that they've got now; many people saw no reason to retire favorites like SBS & NYD, not to mention 40.

Re: ZooTV...at the time the U2 concert experience had been the stripped down "all about the music" type of gig. At this point we're used to the spectacle, after Zoo, Pop, and Vertigo...but in '92 ZooTV was a radical departure from what they'd done before.

Just something to keep in mind. Of course, music is a matter of taste...and it's easy to lose perspective, especially here at Interference where it seems the majority are very positive about AB/Zoo & Pop/Popmart, but there are/were a lot of fans who never did "get" the '90's U2, and think everything post-R&H is crap to this day.

And while we're at it...not sure you could find anything online, maybe, but there was a ton of U2-bashing going on over R&H. You can guess the general theme I'm sure...a bunch of self-righteous American critics who labeled U2 "phony" for all the American-music-love surrounding R&H, and a bunch or European critics trying to make a buck, trashing U2 as "wanna-be Americans" (of course that never stopped, did it?). The R&H bashers, now THERE were a bunch of idiots :(

Yeah you're pretty much right about the backlash from some people after RH and AB both.

Here's another interesting archive from 92

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.m...lnk=st&q=bono&rnum=601&hl=en#d8bbaf23fbc3d3df

he is probably still on this board somewhere under a new name complaining that ATYCLB and elevation tour were both sub standard and HTDAAB and vertigo tour are just damm right poor!

CTU2fan said:

as I mentioned been a fan since80/81 and loved the AB change, loved IWF/OOC, War/JT R&H was a problem for me but not because of the songs or what they did w them........Love POP, Tropa & Bomb

BUT I DO remember the howling over R&H!!!
it was way before the NET times.....unless some dusty forgotten in the expansion of the Net in general to the into the WWW....small univ loops of techs & scince folk { no dissiing I'm all new yorker & artist and part geek!} :wink:

< the upset over R&RH-- didn't want to distract from my above comment was....
Out of the blue 2 or 3 degrees of separation I suddenly had a small but genuine chance to possible show high up Island Rec person & maybe U2 themselves album cover design/illustratoin/photographic ideas for R&H! {can you imagine :ohmy:!}
But a tragedy [not mine] up ended the whole possibility. And i was nearing to finish the first cover idea, and was begining to think of addition ones..........
it sooo upset me that i never bought the soundtrack and I never went to see it in the theaters even tho my friends {including the one who had gotten me the possibilty] raved about it.
I

actually have finally seen it sort of..last dec..i bought a DVDcopy on sale but that same friend's VCR/DVD player began breaking down.....nd it ran in split screen down the middle ! :huh: :mad:

everyone looked kinda like Giacometti-like {sculptor making long stretched out figures]! :laugh::madspit:

when they get a NEW machine then I'll finally saee it , right! At least i ran it thru their stero system......that was gorgeous! :D

CTU2fan said:
Not sure how many of you guys were around then, U2-wise...I've been into U2 since '83 and I can tell you, that guy's opinion of AB was very typical.

Very interesting post... I became an "official" fan after "Pop," so I've never really known how the U2 fanbase had evolved prior to that. I don't think this guy's opinion is totally baseless - the main thing I find funny is how this cycle seems to keep repeating itself. It's just ironic to read this guy diss Achtung Baby/Zoo TV when many diehard fans of that era are now dissing HTDAAB/ATYCLB. :wink:

Axver said:
This whole board will be a laugh in ten years.

it isn't now? :wink:

some things can get really outrageous here though, but I think it has to do more with the poster/weird subject than the band itself.

CTU2fan said:

Very true! I remember when the band first appeared on the MTV scene to promote AB, i was HORRIFIED! I wanted my old Bono back... It was such a major change, that I wasn't sure how to handle it... It took a few months, and even then, everytime I saw "The Fly" on interviews, it made me sad... But the Zoo TV show was absolutely mindblowing! And now, i look back on all of it and i miss it! Brilliant Album... good times, good times...

Back
Top Bottom