North American vs. European Setlists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cant we just enjoy the fact that the band are on a world tour again? with all the stuff that happend before the tour etc, rather than argue about which continent had the best setlists, just enjoy the fact that there touring again

p.s. why should i even care what they played in the U.S.? am not going to any of them shows anyway, so this whole thread is pretty pointless

Another Day said:
Uhhh yeah, it IS a bad idea to do stadiums in the US and Canada... stadium concerts suck compared to arena concerts.

This is not a North America-Europe thing. If they played stadiums here and arenas in Europe, I would criticize the North America leg just as well.

As for the PopMart Tour, U2 put out their worst record in 1997, then did very little promotion for it here in North America (unlike the two recent tours), then went on a stadium tour with chairs on the pitch (their choice), then charged $50 a ticket, which was a far higher price than any other concert tickets at that time, then made fools of themselves by erecting an absurdly gigantic stage that completely dwarfed the performers (Rage Against the Machine looked like lost little boys out there)... hence, few sellouts.

I think the euros loved the PopMart Tour because of the McDonald's arch, that's what I heard.

Nowadays, why pay 80 euros to sit 100 yards away from the band, forcing you to watch them on huge TV screens that are obscured by blazing sunshine, when you can pay $49 and only be 40 yards away, at the very most?

It's amazing to me that these euros actually prefer stadium shows over arena shows, whether Edge uses a guitar on OOTS or not. Maybe it's because they can all smoke their lovely cigarettes all day long at outdoor shows.

The real question is why doesn't U2 do arena shows in Europe? Too few quality venues, I've heard. However, maybe the real reason is because of the no-smoking rule.

Regarding setlists, it is obvious that the euro fans can only handle the "greatest hits" package. Any deep cuts like "The Ocean" or "An Cat Dubh" are far too esoteric for their tastes, they need "With Or Without You" and "Still Haven't Found" to be happy. Familiarity breeds contentment over there, I guess.

Besides, everyone knows that U2 is just using the European tour as a warm-up for the 3rd and 4th Legs in North America, Oz, NZ, and South America. Wait until you hear those bootlegs, they'll blow away the predictable euro sets being done right now ("Crumbs" anyone?).

As far as these euro posters who claim that North America doesn't have GA in stadiums, please explain to me why my Green Day ticket for the local baseball stadium in September is GA...

Also, please explain why Live8 in Philadelphia and Toronto were not sit-down concerts...
Just when I think post's can't get any dumber then the last big one I responded to, you get this one!

You really think that bands (U2 as one of them) do arena shows in the US and Canada just because some people like YOU think stadium shows suck? Do you really think that? Because then the rest of your ignorant post isn't even worth reacting to!

On your comment that Europe only likes the "greatest hits" package you are wáy off base! The reason why U2 plays the "greatest hits" package is because they're doing stadiums! The percentage of die-hard U2 fans is much smaller in a 80.000 capacity stadium then a 16.000 capacity arena of course! It has nothing to do with the type of fans you know! On Popmart and Elevation (where they used the same scale of venues) the setlists were all about the same.. It is the type of venue that demands a type of setlist! And you are forgetting that U2 made it to the States in the early days just because they were accepted and loved in Europe! Holland opened the doors for U2 to play outside the UK!

You're saying the real question is why U2 doesn't play arena's in Europe? Crap! They question is why they don't play stadiums in the US! And the reason is quoted numerous times already! So no point in repeating that!

And why Live8 was GA I don't know... Woodstock (even the one 1994) was also GA... Maybe they are special event's? Don't know.. All other stadium acts normally only have seatings... Including U2, The Stones and Bon Jovi... Adam confirmed it only 2 months ago that tháts the reason why they don't play stadiums in the US...

But i'm sick and tired of having to respond to ignorant posts like this! your Any deep cuts like "The Ocean" or "An Cat Dubh" are far too esoteric for their tastes, they need "With Or Without You" and "Still Haven't Found" to be happy bit explains just how dumb you really are... You're certainly up there with 4U2Play ...
smiley_puke.gif

Last edited:
Another Day said:

Uhhh yeah, it IS a bad idea to do stadiums in the US and Canada... stadium concerts suck compared to arena concerts.

This is not a North America-Europe thing. If they played stadiums here and arenas in Europe, I would criticize the North America leg just as well.

As for the PopMart Tour, U2 put out their worst record in 1997, then did very little promotion for it here in North America (unlike the two recent tours), then went on a stadium tour with chairs on the pitch (their choice), then charged $50 a ticket, which was a far higher price than any other concert tickets at that time, then made fools of themselves by erecting an absurdly gigantic stage that completely dwarfed the performers (Rage Against the Machine looked like lost little boys out there)... hence, few sellouts.

I think the euros loved the PopMart Tour because of the McDonald's arch, that's what I heard.

Nowadays, why pay 80 euros to sit 100 yards away from the band, forcing you to watch them on huge TV screens that are obscured by blazing sunshine, when you can pay $49 and only be 40 yards away, at the very most?

It's amazing to me that these euros actually prefer stadium shows over arena shows, whether Edge uses a guitar on OOTS or not. Maybe it's because they can all smoke their lovely cigarettes all day long at outdoor shows.

The real question is why doesn't U2 do arena shows in Europe? Too few quality venues, I've heard. However, maybe the real reason is because of the no-smoking rule.

Regarding setlists, it is obvious that the euro fans can only handle the "greatest hits" package. Any deep cuts like "The Ocean" or "An Cat Dubh" are far too esoteric for their tastes, they need "With Or Without You" and "Still Haven't Found" to be happy. Familiarity breeds contentment over there, I guess.

Besides, everyone knows that U2 is just using the European tour as a warm-up for the 3rd and 4th Legs in North America, Oz, NZ, and South America. Wait until you hear those bootlegs, they'll blow away the predictable euro sets being done right now ("Crumbs" anyone?).

As far as these euro posters who claim that North America doesn't have GA in stadiums, please explain to me why my Green Day ticket for the local baseball stadium in September is GA...

Also, please explain why Live8 in Philadelphia and Toronto were not sit-down concerts...

well, it cant get any dumber than this.....

Someone considered the possibility that in Europe they are doing stadiums, because demand is huge in Europe? They could have easily played 6 Amsterdam shows for example, which means 300.000 people. Arena's would mean 15 shows in Holland alone, which is quite impossible.

As to, "Nowadays, why pay 80 euros to sit 100 yards away from the band, forcing you to watch them on huge TV screens that are obscured by blazing sunshine, when you can pay $49 and only be 40 yards away, at the very most?".

What about seeing nothing, just because you didnt manage to get tickets??

It's really amazing how stupid some of the fans here are.

The last two posts reflect all the ignorance, hostility and prejudice of people with very low IQs... maybe it's a Dutch thing, seeing as how other people aren't writing the kind of idiocies these last two fools are writing.

Do you morons REALLY prefer stadium shows over arena shows?

Or are you just saying that because that's all you got over there?

U2 are doing their 'greatest hits' setlist because they are doing stadiums - correct! - which is why stadium shows suck. Greatest hits setlists suck compared to varied setlists, ergo stadium shows suck. Can you follow this logic, or are you too blinded by your own ignorance?

Big stadium = smaller % diehard fans = lame audience = greatest hits package = sucky setlist

Capiche?

U2 was NOT accepted and loved in Europe in the early days, you don't even know what you're talking about. Go back and read about how only 8 people showed up for one of their early London gigs - you call that "loved"?

They played a couple of minor shows in Holland, then went to New York and Boston where the response overwhelmed them. That's why U2 wrote an entire album about America (JTT), and songs about Miami and New York (COBL etc)... I'm still waiting for their songs about wonderful Amsterdam or Eindhoven.

Your arrogance and ignorance shines through brightly again with your stupid comments about not knowing anything about North American GA policies, but at least you admit it. North America does allow GA at stadium shows, as proven by the earlier examples.

As for the other comments from North America fans here, they were obviously in jest, designed to counteract the first idiotic post from starvinmarvin, but I guess you can't understand sarcasm and hyperbole when it's staring you in the face.

The comment about demand being huge in Europe... DUH!!!!
Demand is huge here in North America, too, or haven't you noticed? Obviously, you did notice, because you finish your laughable post by saying childishly "what if you don't see anything because you didn't get tickets?" --- uhh, hey buddy, if no tickets are available, that means demand is high. If demand is equally high in both continents, the question is why did U2 only do stadium gigs in Europe and not the smaller, intimate shows like they're doing in N.A? Your refusals to answer this simple question in a calm, rational manner really concerns me.

Neilz and Patrick, you two guys are certainly up there with starvinmarvin and pulle.

And what about the McDonald's arch comment... that was the only reason you euros sold out the PopMart shows, because you loved looking at the arch and the lemon and Bono's muscle shirt.

Last edited:
4U2Play/Another Day you are way out of line, not that you were the only one. It's really too bad that some people can't discuss things here without name-calling and bickering like 2 year olds but it seems that's too much to ask. This has gone way downhill and I don't see it getting any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom