North American vs. European Setlists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot see why you would have that feeling every 7 or 8 days.
They didn't pull out that many surprises to my knowledge.
I think you have to admit that seeing New Years Day in Poland must have been spectacular.

pulle28 said:
I cannot see why you would have that feeling every 7 or 8 days.
They didn't pull out that many surprises to my knowledge.
I think you have to admit that seeing New Years Day in Poland must have been spectacular.

It wasn't the setlists..it was reading about an incredible performance, like San Jose 2, Seattle, Phoenix 2, New Jersey, the list goes on. New Years Day would have been cool if I hadn't seen it 287 times prior to that, and actually hated the video prior to being a U2 fan. Can't say that I think about Poland too much. Perhaps I should.

Come to think of it, I still hate that video. :wink:

It wasn't the song, but the spectacle the audience put on.
You know, trying to surprise the band. This kind of collective action does not happen very often.
Not even in Denver...

Now that I read the 3rd page of this thread, I realise how stupid it is... :D

I'm tired of having to react to childish and weird arguments why the one leg is better then the oter... And in a way, you could also look at it another way; The more people react to it, the more jealous they are with the others... And I'm hearing a lot of pro-USA and Europe envy inhere...

Neilz said:
And I'm hearing a lot of pro-USA and Europe envy inhere...

i'm hearing a lot of Europeans acting superior in here

annnnd, we were talking about setlists and for some reason europeans wanted to turn it into a "our fans better than yours debate"

Neilz said:
And I'm hearing a lot of pro-USA and Europe envy inhere...

I think you should have said pro-North America and Europe envy inhere...

Even though I don't agree, but agree with what Chizip is saying, I would venture to say that we are both talking tounge in cheek and not being all that literal.

Well, I'm not at least. :wink:

pulle28 said:
It wasn't the song, but the spectacle the audience put on.
You know, trying to surprise the band. This kind of collective action does not happen very often.
Not even in Denver...

True, I will say...Europeans are very good at mass synchronized behaviour. :wink: Not as good as the Chinese, but...have you seen them do the Macarena? All of the Czech Republic shaking their asses in time..."Heeeeyyy!!! Macarena!!! "

On a more serious note and more on topic:

I think the setlist variation has been less than anticipated in Europe, at least by me. Not that I am complaining (because I didn't spend a red cent on these shows) but I think many of us thought that it would be a bit different than it has. That's my take.

Last edited:
if Europeans need to wave pieces of cloth around to make a show good then i feel sorry for them :wink:

Chizip said:

i'm hearing a lot of Europeans acting superior in here

annnnd, we were talking about setlists and for some reason europeans wanted to turn it into a "our fans better than yours debate"
I don't see any "our fans are better than yours" debate at all! We were comparing setlists at first, and later on venue's and other stuff (that you brought up by the way)...

I'm just saying that the more you bitch about the other leg, the more jealous you are IMO... I'm bitching a bit about the Italian DVD recording in another topic... And yes I'm jealous! :wink:

And I'll be straight up; I like the venues better in the States and the fact that they rotate the Boy songs more... But that's it really... But the 25 song setlist in Amsterdam 3 that I've witnessed in a totally dark environment with a top-crowd and a U2 on flames makes up for that all the way...

I don't really wanna go into this....:uhoh:....but could anyone please tell me what was so wrong with the Boston Crowd? Why do you think it was plastic?.....:shrug:

Neilz said:

I don't see any "our fans are better than yours" debate at all! We were comparing setlists at first, and later on venue's and other stuff (that you brought up by the way)...

I'm just saying that the more you bitch about the other leg, the more jealous you are IMO... I'm bithing a bit about the Italian DVD recording in another topic... And yes I'm jealous! :wink:

And I'll be straight up; I like the venues better in the States and the fact that they rotate the Boy songs more... But that's it really... But the 25 song setlist in Amsterdam 3 that I've witnessed in a totally dark environment with a top-crowd and a U2 on flames makes up for that all the way...

:blahblah:

i was totalllllllly jealous of the Europeans before their leg started

the stage set up looked amazing, rumors of pop/zooropa songs and new setlists...oh man i was foaming at the mouth

but after seeing what has taken place, the jealousy has completely faded away

thats not to say it wouldnt have been cool to see a stadium show

Last edited:
Neilz said:

I'm just saying that the more you bitch about the other leg, the more jealous you are IMO... I'm bithing a bit about the Italian DVD recording in another topic... And yes I'm jealous! :wink:

Yeah, no doubt, Amsterdam 3 was a son-of-a-bitch. BUT, I am sure you would completely agree that a majority of the shows (both legs) have not been of that caliber.

I know you are talking to Chizip, but I am not one bit jealous. I don't really feel I am missing anything. The whole stadium thing to me seems more of a hassle and an inconvenience. 20,000 fans to me is a bitch to work around, let alone 120,000. Yeah, I would go see U2 in a stadium here, but I am not going to fly to Poland to see them. And seeing how this leg has fleshed out, I don't feel bad about that decision.

cmb737 said:

Yeah, no doubt, Amsterdam 3 was a son-of-a-bitch. BUT, I am sure you would completely agree that a majority of the shows (both legs) have not been of that caliber.

I know you are talking to Chizip, but I am not one bit jealous. I don't really feel I am missing anything. The whole stadium thing to me seems more of a hassle and an inconvenience. 20,000 fans to me is a bitch to work around, let alone 120,000. Yeah, I would go see U2 in a stadium here, but I am not going to fly to Poland to see them.
See I understand this totally... I loved the Elevation gig's in the arena's i've been too... But I also like stadium gig's... And I have the feeling that not everyone here understands what (besides different size crowds and stage) this means... I also thought U2 would change the set's more often in Europe, but the production turned out much bigger then expected up front... And that means that you can't do the many different things each night.. Willie ones said something like this about U2 playing stadiums : "There is no way that Bono comes up to me with 'Oh can we do this'... No! You just have to know what's coming"... A pitty, but it's proven on Popmart with the same setlist for months...

So arena's mean : Better setlists, dark environment, smaller/intimate shots
And stadiums mean : Larger setlists, rain-or-shine, large GA crowds and big production

I like both, but totally realise that you can't have some of both... They are two different things and you can only really bitch about the European setlist to be bad.. Not about it not rotating that much... For these big crowds you háve to play a lot of classics... They would have done the same thing in North America you know...

Last edited:
I remember thinking when I saw that panoramic picture from the UK at the back of the pitch in broad daylight..."sucks to be there".

I simply cannot imagine being near the back of a stadium show, regardless of the setlist, and enjoying it. I had to really attempt to lose myself when I was at the back of an arena show...and that would be an incredible spot for a stadium show.

Europe does have superior opening support, I have to admit.

U2Man said:
I don't really wanna go into this....:uhoh:....but could anyone please tell me what was so wrong with the Boston Crowd? Why do you think it was plastic?.....:shrug:

You know, sitting down during Elevation. Big bathroom rush during Desire.
In general, just standing there as if watching court TV.

:wink:

U2Man said:

But that didn't quite make it to the DVD.....so.....?

I think its a great crowd as well. A friend of mine was on the front rail for one of the shows and says it was still one of the best shows he ever saw. He went to Slane and just got back from Croke.

U2 man, I think a lot of it is the highly edited presentation. Slane feels more like a full concert (even though its not).

Popmartijn said:

You know, sitting down during Elevation. Big bathroom rush during Desire.
In general, just standing there as if watching court TV.

:wink:

Well, I don't see those things on my DVD....some of the fans actually seem quite excited :shrug:

U2Man said:

Well, I don't see those things on my DVD....some of the fans actually seem quite excited :shrug:
some of the fans actually seem quite excited

That sounds very weird to me :D

Btw. Someone told me that Bono made an arse out of himself during the sit down strike. Does anyone know what he said?

My take on the Boston DVD:
I can understand why people don't go berserk for two whole hours, but it really amazes me (with the kick ass beginning elevation tour had) that so many cannot even bother to raise a hand during take off.
And I don't think it has something to do with editing.

Since this topic also has turned into a stadium/arena discussion, I want to add a few thoughts.
I think everybody would have to agree that being in the back of a stadium - miles away from the stage (as I'm going to be in Copenhagen), cannot compete with being a the back of an arena.
I've been at the back of an arena during Elevation, and it is the best experience EVER.
I'm not sure the back of a stadium can provide this kind of experience.
But...
There's of course more to it.
ZooTV is remembered for its outdoor spectacle - not the indoor.
Why is that? I mean, they played indoor both in the states and Europe, but it's not what people talk about (not around my, anyway).
I think stadium concerts have the potential to outdo arenas. They just haven't done since ZooTV.

Last edited:
pulle28 said:
My take on the Boston DVD:
I can understand why people don't go berserk for two whole hours, but it really amazes me (with the kick ass beginning elevation tour had) that so many cannot even bother to raise a hand during take off.
And I don't think it has something to do with editing.

Hmmmm...I think I'll have to watch that DVD again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom