North American 3rd Leg, Fall 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no denver shows for the third leg? i guess that will be okay for me as long as the play a show in omaha (hopefully i'll be going to school in seward, ne) but my friends who are still in colorado are going to be mad!

and this is a longshot (okay it won't happen)...but if stadiums were done, i would love to see them hit the college football venues...i would be able to die happy if i saw them play at lincoln memorial stadium in lincoln (and it would probably be the only good thing to happen in that stadium all fall...)

The announcemnt won't be until summer, so you'll have to wait at least 5 more months.

One thing to add about the KC show...

DJs repeatedly and erroneously stated the show was sold out. Some people didn't bother to even try for tickets after the first day of on-sale. I've seen this happen for a few artists that are big, the djs just assume no tickets are available and pass it on as fact. It's weird.

Also, the show was added so late, many of us had already traveled to Denver, Chicago, etc.

There was only a few weeks between on sale and show. If thats a ton of time, then I'd like to see a short time. A day perhaps? I'm an art director, I LOVE U2, but I missed the show because of a photo shoot in North Carolina. The shoot was planned 6 weeks out. So I saw them in chicago and denver, but not at Kemper, which is 4 minutes from where I work.

However, I'd play Omaha if I were them, give someone else a shot...

I have a feeling they will stop in San antonio. They just built
a great new arena The "SBC" center which most major bands
would play at.

I personally think its ridiculous that both KC and STL would be shut out. That would create a large geographical gap in the US from Minny to Dallas.

I also find it hard to believe that Albany and Sacramento would get shows over KC/STL, since folks can easily go to SF/SJ or NY/Boston... But, hey, that's me.

I'm prepared to go show-less. I did have an offer from a friend for the Denver (21st) show but can't go due to a prior committment.

In the end, my prediction is that KC or STL, but not both, will get a show. Just a hunch.

There's a brand-new arena being built in Des Moines and I happen to know the people there are absolutely dying to bring U2 in to "baptize" it properly. However, if U2 had trouble selling out in KC I don't think there's a chance in hell they would play Des Moines. I'd love to see U2 come back to Iowa, but I doubt it will ever happen again.

ramblingrob said:
I personally think its ridiculous that both KC and STL would be shut out. That would create a large geographical gap in the US from Minny to Dallas.

I also find it hard to believe that Albany and Sacramento would get shows over KC/STL, since folks can easily go to SF/SJ or NY/Boston... But, hey, that's me.

I'm prepared to go show-less. I did have an offer from a friend for the Denver (21st) show but can't go due to a prior committment.

In the end, my prediction is that KC or STL, but not both, will get a show. Just a hunch.

Not really, those two markets were two of the weakest sellers on the entire Elevation tour. Whatever the reason, most other markets soldout. Even the rest of the shows added at the last second soldout, but those two did not or were very slow sellers. St. Louis may get a show, I wouldnt be shocked. I just think its more likely that show in that area is going to be Omaha from what I have heard. KC though is highly doubdtful period IMO. Not every single area/region gets a show on every tour. That region is a weak market for U2 based on the last two tours. So dont be surprised if they get skipped.

Blue Room said:

Not really, those two markets were two of the weakest sellers on the entire Elevation tour. Whatever the reason, most other markets soldout. Even the rest of the shows added at the last second soldout, but those two did not or were very slow sellers. St. Louis may get a show, I wouldnt be shocked. I just think its more likely that show in that area is going to be Omaha from what I have heard. KC though is highly doubdtful period IMO. Not every single area/region gets a show on every tour. That region is a weak market for U2 based on the last two tours. So dont be surprised if they get skipped.

Only time will tell. I might agree that it'll be Omaha and STL if anything. KC might very well be shut out. But do remember that the concerts on the Elevation Tour were announced late in the game and that KC fans had already gone to Chicago and Denver (and maybe Minny or Dallas) to see the band. Also, it was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and I know that many folks were out of town..

With the massive marketing U2 has now (which was not evident in the last tour), KC and STL would easily sell out today. Both have been strong U2 markets since the early days.. I just don't see them shutting both out (maybe one, but not both)...

Its actually pretty hilarious to see people speculating, including yours truly, about where they'll play. None of use really knows, and I dont even think the U2 folks even have a set itenarary for concerts 8-10 months from now.

Just my two cents worth.

Here's my take on leg three:

September

16, 17 Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre (38,000/Sold Out)
20, 21 Chicago, IL - United Center (38,000/Sold Out)
23 Minneapolis, MN - Target Center (18,000/17,000*)
25 Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center (18,000/17,000*)
27 Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena (20,000/Sold Out)
28 Auburn Hills, MI (Detroit area) - Palace of Auburn Hills (21,000/Sold Out)
30 Boston, MA - Fleet Center (17,000/Sold Out)

October

1 Boston, MA - Fleet Center (17,000/Sold Out)
4, 5 New York City, NY - MSG (36,000/Sold Out)
7, 8 East Rutherford, NJ (New York City area) - Continental Airlines Arena (38,000/Sold Out)
11, 12 Montreal, QC - Bell Centre (42,000/Sold Out)
14 Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena (15,000/Sold Out)
16 Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center (19,000/Sold Out)
18, 19 Washington, DC - MCI Center (38,000/Sold Out)
21 Hartford, CT - Civic Center (15,000/Sold Out)
22 Buffalo, NY - HSBC Arena (18,000/17,000*)
24 Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena (17,000/14,000*)
26 Raleigh, NC - RBC Center (19,000/18,000*)
28, 29 Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena (41,000/37,000*)

November

1, 2 Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena (32,000/Sold Out)
4 Orlando, FL - TD Waterhouse Center (15,000/Sold Out)
7 Louisville, KY - Freedom Hall (18,000/16,000*)
9 Omaha, NE - Qwest Center (14,000/Sold Out)
10 St. Louis, MO - Savvis Center (17,000/Sold Out)
12 Houston, TX - Toyota Center (17,000/Sold Out)
13 Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center (18,000/Sold Out)
16 Salt Lake City, UT - Delta Center (17,000/16,000*)
17 Las Vegas, NV - Thomas & Mack Center (18,000/Sold Out)
21, 22 Mexico City, MX - Sports Palace (42,000/Sold Out)
26, 27 Oakland, CA - Arena (35,000/Sold Out)
29, 30 Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center (35,000/Sold Out)

The shows that I don't think will sellout in a full 360 degree end stage configuration above will most likely have the capacity slightly reduced to make it look like they are sold out = *.

Cleveland will only sellout in a full 360 because there's apparently going to be no other Ohio shows. Detroit will only sellout in a full 360 because I doubt there will be an Indianapolis show. Houston will only sellout in a full 360 because there's apparently going to be no other Texan shows apart from Dallas. Atlanta will get two shows because there's apparently going to be no South Carolina (or possibly North Carolina) or Louisiana shows. And St. Louis will only sellout in a full 360 because I greatly doubt there's going to be a show in Kansas City.

ramblingrob said:

Its actually pretty hilarious to see people speculating, including yours truly, about where they'll play. None of use really knows, and I dont even think the U2 folks even have a set itenarary for concerts 8-10 months from now.

Just my two cents worth.

Actually most of the third leg is set. They wont announce it though until the 1st leg is complete.

Also the markets you mention that people from KC went to instead of the KC show are markets they are playing. So if people from KC will travel to those markets and those markets sellout, why add a show in KC?

KC may happen, I'm commenting mainly for some in this thread that seem to indicate they HAVE to play X market. Clearly that is not how you are thinking so its really not directed at you.

I get the feeling people from KC are defensive about it not selling out. Other markets had as much notice about the extra dates and soldout. Its simply not a strong U2 market and I think U2 would opt to play somewhere else. Plus Kemper is ancient and not a state of the art facility.

Last edited:
South Carolina is a soft market for them too. These things are just realities. No band can be popular everywhere.

How about Memphis as a dark-horse candidate to receive a third leg show? They recently built a new 17,000-ish capacity arena. IIRC, PopMart Memphis did not sell out, though.

sboow said:
How about Memphis as a dark-horse candidate to receive a third leg show? They recently built a new 17,000-ish capacity arena. IIRC, PopMart Memphis did not sell out, though.

I originally heard that the North American ticket prices were averaging $90 this year. But due to a recent Billboard article, they're actually an average of $100 per show, as they've sold 470,000 tickets to 28 shows and have grossed $47 million so far. So, my above third leg prediction should be subtracted by around 1-2,000 tickets per show. And it appears that U2 will not be utilizing the full 360 end stage configuration capacity of each Arena, even in their larger markets, like NYC/NJ, Chicago, LA, etc.

Anyways, according to that...U2 would struggle to sell 10,000 tickets in Memphis if they play there this year. So, if I were you, I'd travel to Chicago, or a Midwestern market nearby...

Last edited:
Thats Wrong NoControl. Their going to add alot of MSG and Continental shows in the Fall. Their going to have Albany in November and Atlanta as well.

Super_Fan said:
Thats Wrong NoControl. Their going to add alot of MSG and Continental shows in the Fall. Their going to have Albany in November and Atlanta as well.

Apparently you didn't read my take on the third leg...

They won't come back to Jersey. Not after 2 shows there. MSG will probably get another date (if one isn't going to go up soon..currently the U2 section for MSG has been taken down 2 days ago, and rumor is this might be for another added show? Here's hoping?!?!) in the fall, if not now.

Albany will defenitely be on there. Maybe Hartford CT too. Keep in mind that the areas surrounding NYC and LA will always get multiple dates, b/c the band likes to have a part of its tour near its various "headquarters" where they have homes. Albany has been played on every tour since we built an arena in 1990, except for the stadiums-only Popmart. And we've always been in the spring too. I hope Buffalo gets a date this time, say right before or after Toronto, instead of Hartford.

Maimi, for sure. Atlanta, for sure. Texas, yee-hah! And hopefully that arena in Iowa you talked of. I think the band still has a surprisinlgy large fanbase in the Midwest. And while smaller areas like KC might not sellout, a place like Charlotte, NC would. You'd be surprised....Bono must have gained a lot of fans during his "evangelical tour" down there in 2002. And that goes for Memphis too.

Last edited:
Why wont they play NJ again? They played 2 there on the first leg of Elevation and 1 on the third leg. On JT they played 4 nights in a row there and came back and played MSG in the fall. They may play only MSG on the third leg but I'm not sure why NJ is completely ruled out? It really depends on which arena is available, not which they played last.

Also, Charlotte, was a VERY slow seller on Elevation. It barely soldout and it was a "technical" sellout in that 90% of the tickets were sold. Clemson on Popmart and Columbia on Zoo were also poor sellers for those tours. The southeast (other than Florida and Atlanta) has never been a big market for U2 and they have never sold well there. I dont think U2 will ever go back to Memphis after the poor turnout and crowd on Popmart (I was there). If they were to play a new arena in that area my guess would be Nashville. They will probebly play "a" show in this region besides the Atlanta shows, but there is no way they will be playing all those markets, for sure. They have limited time before the 4th leg starts, they will hit the major markets mainly and a few secondary markets that are proven sellers more than likely.

the olive said:
It would be shocking if U2 didn't play either Edmonton or Calgary on this tour. Why?

They played to almost 100,000 people in Edmonton for Popmart, believe it or not that is almost double the attendace for the only Los Angeles show on that tour. Considering Edmonton is about 1/10th the population of LA the attendace of those two shows promted Bono to say something like "How come we've never come here before?".
If they skip Alberta they are nuts!

Yep, I remember that alright, Bono asking that question and my screaming in reply!!!:applaud:
And yes, they would be nuts to miss Alberta, esp. Edmonton, but strangely enough, I have every confidence that they will come...

drumkeeran said:
Phew, glad to see Buffalo added on to some list in this thread. Hope to maybe get my 10 yr. old to see a show in the Fall.

a western new yorker.....gasp......i thought i was the only one. whereabouts to do you live. me im in the falls.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Oh, you can definitely pencil in Sacramento on the 3rd Leg. Arco Arena has already carved out the date, and it will sell out. :yes:

Are you sure about that?

November 20, 2001
Sacramento, CA
ARCO Arena
CAPACITY: 17,000
ATTENDANCE: 13,789
GROSS:$1,139,145

I originally thought that the attendance for this show was 15,893, according to Pimm's book, U2 Live: A Concert Documentary (Third Edition). But I recently had access to Amusement Business and discovered many interesting things about this tour and the above is one of them.

This market was the third lowest attended market on the North American legs of the Elevation tour.

If Sacramento gets a show this year, I'd be extremely surprised. But if it does, you won't have problems getting tickets...unless of course there's no return engagement shows in the San Francisco/Oakland area during the Fall leg this year. If so, then it will sellout...

I went to U2.com the other night and I saw a list of dates for a third leg, and there was a Montreal date and Hamilton, ont. date, and I think that is it, but today I went back to look at it again, and I can't find it now, so I don't know what is going on there. I am surprised that Toronto wasn't there.

I just realized what I did...I was looking at the 3rd leg of elevation!! :der: My mistake, my anxiety got the better of me! I saw "3rd Leg" and I freaked!! Oh well...hopefully the anouncement comes soon though....I am sure the Toronto will be there, I should know how to read by t hen.:wink:

NoControl said:
Here's my take on leg three:

September

16, 17 Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre (38,000/Sold Out)
20, 21 Chicago, IL - United Center (38,000/Sold Out)
23 Minneapolis, MN - Target Center (18,000/17,000*)
25 Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center (18,000/17,000*)
27 Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena (20,000/Sold Out)
28 Auburn Hills, MI (Detroit area) - Palace of Auburn Hills (21,000/Sold Out)
30 Boston, MA - Fleet Center (17,000/Sold Out)

October

1 Boston, MA - Fleet Center (17,000/Sold Out)
4, 5 New York City, NY - MSG (36,000/Sold Out)
7, 8 East Rutherford, NJ (New York City area) - Continental Airlines Arena (38,000/Sold Out)
11, 12 Montreal, QC - Bell Centre (42,000/Sold Out)
14 Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena (15,000/Sold Out)
16 Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center (19,000/Sold Out)
18, 19 Washington, DC - MCI Center (38,000/Sold Out)
21 Hartford, CT - Civic Center (15,000/Sold Out)
22 Buffalo, NY - HSBC Arena (18,000/17,000*)
24 Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena (17,000/14,000*)
26 Raleigh, NC - RBC Center (19,000/18,000*)
28, 29 Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena (41,000/37,000*)

November

1, 2 Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena (32,000/Sold Out)
4 Orlando, FL - TD Waterhouse Center (15,000/Sold Out)
7 Louisville, KY - Freedom Hall (18,000/16,000*)
9 Omaha, NE - Qwest Center (14,000/Sold Out)
10 St. Louis, MO - Savvis Center (17,000/Sold Out)
12 Houston, TX - Toyota Center (17,000/Sold Out)
13 Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center (18,000/Sold Out)
16 Salt Lake City, UT - Delta Center (17,000/16,000*)
17 Las Vegas, NV - Thomas & Mack Center (18,000/Sold Out)
21, 22 Mexico City, MX - Sports Palace (42,000/Sold Out)
26, 27 Oakland, CA - Arena (35,000/Sold Out)
29, 30 Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center (35,000/Sold Out)

The shows that I don't think will sellout in a full 360 degree end stage configuration above will most likely have the capacity slightly reduced to make it look like they are sold out = *.

Cleveland will only sellout in a full 360 because there's apparently going to be no other Ohio shows. Detroit will only sellout in a full 360 because I doubt there will be an Indianapolis show. Houston will only sellout in a full 360 because there's apparently going to be no other Texan shows apart from Dallas. Atlanta will get two shows because there's apparently going to be no South Carolina (or possibly North Carolina) or Louisiana shows. And St. Louis will only sellout in a full 360 because I greatly doubt there's going to be a show in Kansas City.

So you're predicting that Atlanta won't really sell-out? So I might have a decent chance of scoring tix for one show (assuming there's 2)? I would *kill* to get GA's in Atlanta, but I'm not joining any 40 dollar fanclub. Do you think I have the remotest chance of getting them?

I might also try for Raleigh if I can't get either Atlanta show...

NoControl said:

I originally heard that the North American ticket prices were averaging $90 this year. But due to a recent Billboard article, they're actually an average of $100 per show, as they've sold 470,000 tickets to 28 shows and have grossed $47 million so far. So, my above third leg prediction should be subtracted by around 1-2,000 tickets per show. And it appears that U2 will not be utilizing the full 360 end stage configuration capacity of each Arena, even in their larger markets, like NYC/NJ, Chicago, LA, etc.

Anyways, according to that...U2 would struggle to sell 10,000 tickets in Memphis if they play there this year. So, if I were you, I'd travel to Chicago, or a Midwestern market nearby...

U2 have a ton of fans in the Memphis area; I'd be amazed if the show didn't sell out in a few hours. The last time they played here was Popmart, and while it didn't sell out, they did sell around 30,000 tickets, enough for a 2nd night at the local basketball arenas. (Yes, arenas: we have two within walking distance of each other.) For whatever reason, Memphis doesn't get a lot of shows lately, even with the new Fedex Forum as a draw. Anybody that does play here, especially the biggest band in the world, is gonna get sales just because there's no other concerts to go to.

Personally, I find it hard to believe they skipped us on the first leg. The annual "Memphis in May" festival honors a different country each year. This year's honored nation?

Ireland.

C.

http://www.memphisinmay.org

Last edited:
Vertigo Gal- You will have a good chance top get Atlanta tickets. While it is a big city I have never had a problem getting tickets whether it be Braves, Falcons, Sec championship ,etc. I hope they play Phillips and not Duluth .It is a pain getting out of that place.

Yeah VertigoGal, you'll be able to score tickets. However, I think no matter what the city or venue, those GAs will be tough to come by. With Larry's apology and vow to make things right, I have hope that those of us who still have our codes from U2.com will be able to call our shots in the Fall. HOPE HOPE HOPE anyway...

Bocagator, I think they'll play Philips. It's a little bigger, and it's familiar territory (and it's downtown). And I can't recall any multiple night, big name stands in Duluth. Just my opinion though, but I agree about the venue there at Gwinnett.

slapshot said:

U2 have a ton of fans in the Memphis area; I'd be amazed if the show didn't sell out in a few hours. The last time they played here was Popmart, and while it didn't sell out, they did sell around 30,000 tickets, enough for a 2nd night at the local basketball arenas. (Yes, arenas: we have two within walking distance of each other.) For whatever reason, Memphis doesn't get a lot of shows lately, even with the new Fedex Forum as a draw. Anybody that does play here, especially the biggest band in the world, is gonna get sales just because there's no other concerts to go to.

Personally, I find it hard to believe they skipped us on the first leg. The annual "Memphis in May" festival honors a different country each year. This year's honored nation?

Ireland.

C.

http://www.memphisinmay.org

May 14, 1997
Memphis, TN
Liberty Bowl
ATTENDANCE: 22,734
GROSS: $1,131,570
AVERAGE PRICE: $49.78

U2 won't ever be playing Memphis again, unless their prices drop.

Back
Top Bottom