No offense to anybody here but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
Well, no one will ever convince me that bringing a sign that says something along the lines of "No more Vertigo x 2" isn't done for a good cause. :grumpy:

Amen Sister,,, Amen

Oh yeah? Well, next time there's some drama a-brewin', I'm going to pull you back from the computer, just so you don't get to participate!

Then I'm going to spill three beers on you and push my way to the front!

:wink:

I made a sign that said thank you Bono...wasn't huge and i wasn't trying to get onstage but yeah i admit i wanted some U2 attention...;)....or Bono attention...and yeah he saw my sign ...smiled.....Larry also saw my sign and smiled...so i went home a happy person.

Getting on stage would be a dream come true too of course...but hey for me getting into the elipse was big...and i was sooo happy :) :dance:

corianderstem said:
Oh yeah? Well, next time there's some drama a-brewin', I'm going to pull you back from the computer, just so you don't get to participate!

Then I'm going to spill three beers on you and push my way to the front!

And all the while, I'll be bellowing like a fool, wanting to know why my computer is playing this Achtung Baby shit and not something from The Joshua Tree! :happy:

I remember when I went to my first U2 show in '87, the big thing was spraypainting a sign on a bedsheet and hanging it from a railing somewhere in the arena. If you watch Rattle and Hum you'll see many of those types of signs around the arena during SBS. It's interesting to see that the signage has continued, but in a different form and with different messages. The signs back in '87 were all about thanking the band and showing support for them. The signs today are all mostly self serving, as has been said before, 'Play (blank) song for me', or 'Can I have a dance?' The thing is that the band continues to bring bands up and girls to dance with, therefore there is a cottage industry of fans making signs to get up on stage. How many times has Bono been heard saying 'It pays to advertise.' I've heard it more than once, and enough times to know that he looks for signs at least on occasion as a reason to bring someone up. Remember the pregnant lady who got up on stage with a sign referencing her baby? I mean, the signs DO work and if the band didn't react to them, I'm sure no one would make them, or at least not as many.

But anyway, signs are a part of the deal. It sucks when someone holds their posterboard and blocks other's views, that's not cool. But if you can make a sign and be discrete and maybe hold it up for a couple minutes during the show when you know it'll get seen... no harm, no foul.

It does suck when people are selfish though, and that goes for everything OUTSIDE of a rock show too.

so read my sig and print a sign if you're going to Buffalo! :wink:

angel_28 said:
I made a sign that said thank you Bono

Elevation Tour in Oakland, I did the same.
Simple sign, "Thank You" pretty big and bright.

It's the only two words I've ever wanted U2 to understand from my perspective as a fan.

This has been an entertaining thread, but could someone please post video of the alleged fight at Boston - that might make my whole week.

"I want on stage to dance"
"Back off bitch, I'm going up there"
"Oh no you are not"

Ugg.

u2wedge - I remember those signs from the '87 tour. I made a big Irish flag out of part of a sheet and painted a JT in the center and wrote some message to the band. A radio station in Pittsburgh was even having a contest to see who had the best sign. My mom probably still has that sign in her attic. :hmm: Should I pull it out for Cleveland??

Miroslava said:

On the other hand, yes I do bring signs. For quite a few shows now I have been harrasing Adam with dumb little signs printed on 8 by 11.5 pieces of paper that only he can read and half the time the people around me dont even see them and then ask me what the hell I had done to get Adam to stop and "talk". If he had ever given me the impression that he did not enjoy that, trust me, those signs would be HISTORY. Last thing I want to do is become one ot the fans that they get tired of seeing time after time after time.

Yeah, I mean, he really does look at them. He grinned at the sign I made.

Hmm, would it be wrong if you got up but asked to dance with Edge/Adam/or Larry?

Wonder how Bono would react? :laugh:

I think it comes down to greediness that some fans are showing. Not to sound all goody or anything but isn't U2 supposed to bring fans together? Personally I have made a few friends on here which I think is cool. Great feeling to share a love of a band so much with someone else! The fightning,the greed,name calling and all of that does ruin it some though.

I just keep wondering if the people who are trying to get onstage are doing so because they want to touch Bono, or get some limelight on themselves in front of the arena.

During a rock show, I think both are unacceptable.

BonosBaby12 said:
Not to sound all goody or anything but isn't U2 supposed to bring fans together?

No kidding! I think for me, it's partially a sign that I need to back away from the internet for a while, but throughout the tour, I've read about so many bad feelings: some directed at the band (ticket fiascos, fretting over the lottery, setlist griping), but way too many directed at other fans, whether it's bad feelings about the negativity, or what comes across as jealousy, or just, you know, bad vibes.

However, I've never experienced anything bad at the concerts (save for an obnoxious jerk at the Vancouver show, but hey - what are you gonna do), so the concerts themselves remain really great experiences.

But jeez, I'm almost finding myself glad the tour is just about over in this part of the world. It's just too much.

But yeah, I realize I just need to spend some quality time OFF the internet. And hope that some of the bad feelings die down during the next leg of the tour.

That being said, I'm planning on going to Portland, meeting a bunch of new folks from Interference, not stressing about GA/lottery, and having a great time no matter where I end up.

corianderstem said:

That being said, I'm planning on going to Portland, meeting a bunch of new folks from Interference, not stressing about GA/lottery, and having a great time no matter where I end up.

I hope you have a great time in Portland! :hug: And for me too my concert experiences have been incredibly awesome! Was ecstatic about just even being in the same building with U2.

thrillme said:

Yeah, I mean, he really does look at them. He grinned at the sign I made.

Hmm, would it be wrong if you got up but asked to dance with Edge/Adam/or Larry?

Wonder how Bono would react? :laugh:
Right... he read mine out loud on 12/5. It said "In memory of our friend Roy Orbison - Apr. 23, '36 - Dec. 6, '88" ()See footnote end of this post) I wasn't expecting him to read it out loud! I was holding it over the rail no higher than my shoulders. When I became aware that Bono was trying to read it, I held it higher so he could. Some girl yelled for me to put it down because it was blocking people's view. That is the only time I ever held a sigh that high except for when all the fans were holding up the ONE signs later in the show. I had made one of my own...my art classes where we did lettering and sign making back in 1982 came in handy :lmao: 0 it said ONE with a Peace sign in the middle of the O. As for the other signs that everyone had, someone had written "ONE" on a page and made copies to pass around. Had I known they were doing that, I'd have offered my sign-making skills. :D I thought it was a neat ida. As for getting on stage, if Bono ever asked me, I wouldn't argue ;) but I've never tried. Until THIS year, I've always had horrible stage fright. Although I overcame it this year (and not at a U2 show) I still don't know how I'd react to being in front of 20,000 people!! :eek: And as for my front/rail spot, I do the camp-out or arrive at 6am thing because I'm short, partially sighted (legally blind) and have balance/equilibrium challenges due to a physical challenge. So I go for the rail so I can see, and so I can hang on to the rail for dear life. Try and get my spot and you see my Aries/Taurus cusp side, (stubborn with a temper). LOL! I am a nice person, just don't try for my spot, you'll meet with resstance! LOL! At a recent show, the girls next to me complained they didn't have enough space, well, she had as much space as everyone else, and she wanted room to flail her arms around. When you're up front like that, there's room to pogo (and I pogoed, while still hanging on to the rail, LOL) but arm-flailing belongs where there's more room. When I said something to herm, she proceeded to say something about me complaining about her "bumping into me" to the guy behind her, I said something to her and she pulled the "I wasn't talking about you" cop-out. Yeah right, I never heard anyone else say anything! Say it to my face like I said it to your face, girlie, know what I mean!? I just wasn't all about the whining. I decided to ignore her after that. She said something about my sign too (no, it wasn't blocking her view) but her tune seemed to change after Bono read it out loud. (And no, I wasn't competing with her or anyone else with the sign.) BTW, there were two girls to my left with cloth signs, and I was doing my best to hold my sign in such a way as to not block theirs.

Suffice it to say, there's one (or more than one) in every crowd!

Incidentally, I got some decent pix of the girls who danced with Bono in Miami, and I enjoyed their thrilled reactions when I was able to send them copies! (Right, Lisette?? ;) )

~~~Footnote: The "our friend" refers to the fact that Roy Orbison was friends of the band's, but also, I operated Roy's fan club in the early/mid 1980s until I resigned, and when I went through a rough time, the Orbisons helped me out. (Long story, won't go into it here because this is a U2 board.)

Last edited:
Everything about U2 shows brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Sometimes the worst comes from those you expect it from the least.

MysteryGirl said:
Right... he read mine out loud on 12/5. It said "In memory of our friend Roy Orbison - Apr. 23, '36 - Dec. 6, '88" ()See footnote end of this post) I wasn't expecting him to read it out loud! I was holding it over the rail no higher than my shoulders. When I became aware that Bono was trying to read it, I held it higher so he could. Some girl yelled for me to put it down because it was blocking people's view. That is the only time I ever held a sigh that high except for when all the fans were holding up the ONE signs later in the show. I had made one of my own...my art classes where we did lettering and sign making back in 1982 came in handy :lmao: 0 it said ONE with a Peace sign in the middle of the O. As for the other signs that everyone had, someone had written "ONE" on a page and made copies to pass around. Had I known they were doing that, I'd have offered my sign-making skills. :D I thought it was a neat ida. As for getting on stage, if Bono ever asked me, I wouldn't argue ;) but I've never tried. Until THIS year, I've always had horrible stage fright. Although I overcame it this year (and not at a U2 show) I still don't know how I'd react to being in front of 20,000 people!! :eek: And as for my front/rail spot, I do the camp-out or arrive at 6am thing because I'm short, partially sighted (legally blind) and have balance/equilibrium challenges due to a physical challenge. So I go for the rail so I can see, and so I can hang on to the rail for dear life. Try and get my spot and you see my Aries/Taurus cusp side, (stubborn with a temper). LOL! I am a nice person, just don't try for my spot, you'll meet with resstance! LOL! At a recent show, the girls next to me complained they didn't have enough space, well, she had as much space as everyone else, and she wanted room to flail her arms around. When you're up front like that, there's room to pogo (and I pogoed, while still hanging on to the rail, LOL) but arm-flailing belongs where there's more room. When I said something to herm, she proceeded to say something about me complaining about her "bumping into me" to the guy behind her, I said something to her and she pulled the "I wasn't talking about you" cop-out. Yeah right, I never heard anyone else say anything! Say it to my face like I said it to your face, girlie, know what I mean!? I just wasn't all about the whining. I decided to ignore her after that. She said something about my sign too (no, it wasn't blocking her view) but her tune seemed to change after Bono read it out loud. (And no, I wasn't competing with her or anyone else with the sign.) BTW, there were two girls to my left with cloth signs, and I was doing my best to hold my sign in such a way as to not block theirs.

Incidentally, I got some decent pix of the girls who danced with Bono in Miami, and I enjoyed their thrilled reactions when I was able to send them copies! (Right, Lisette?? ;) )

~~~Footnote: The "our friend" refers to the fact that Roy Orbison was friends of the band's, but also, I operated Roy's fan club in the early/mid 1980s until I resigned, and when I went through a rough time, the Orbisons helped me out. (Long story, won't go into it here because this is a U2 board.)

You were right behind us in the queue and I remember you telling us about your sign. We were thrilled when we realised Bono was reading your sign and when he started singing the song! :D

AliEnvy said:
Everything about U2 shows brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Sometimes the worst comes from those you expect it from the least.

You should've seen what the late Pope did after that famous sunglasses photo-op with Bono! Whew! :ohmy:

Hi MysteryGirl! I was right behind you in the line, and I was so thrilled that he read your sign and played the She's a Mystery to Me snippet. :)

As for the topic of this thread, I agree, sometimes it does seem like a "who had the most meaningful moment" competition, and it shouldn't be.

I had a sign and a costume. My motivation for getting on stage had nothing to do with competing with anyone, or NEEDING to get on stage, or wanting limelight for myself. I wanted to get on stage because I love dancing, and I have loved U2 for 18 years. Having danced with a U2 tribute band for 3 years, my dream was to dance with the real thing, just once. It was the thrill of a lifetime for me...a few brief moments of being U2's belly dancer.

The next show after my dance, I held up a thank you sign, but no higher than my shoulders. In fact, I would NEVER hold up a sign where it will block anyone's view. In Toronto the night I was pulled up, I explained what I was trying to do to the people behind me and got their OK before holding up the sign at all. I would never hold up a sign during a meaningful song like SYCMIOYO...it just seems wrong to me to try to get his attention during an emotional moment in the show.

So....in Boston this past weekend I thought about bringing a sign, not asking for anything, just a hello, but changed my mind because 1) If he did decide to pull me up I'd be sabotaging someone else's turn and 2) it was sooooo relaxing just going as myself and not having to worry about when to hold up the sign, do they see it, etc etc.

I am a little envious of those who get pulled up multiple times, I wonder "what do they have that I don't have?" but I certainly don't hold it against them or think in terms of competition. I am thrilled with what happened to me, and very happy for anyone else who has their dream come true with the band on stage. I think anyone who would try to ruin someone else's moment is petty and vindictive.

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
Hi MysteryGirl! I was right behind you in the line, and I was so thrilled that he read your sign and played the She's a Mystery to Me snippet. :)

As for the topic of this thread, I agree, sometimes it does seem like a "who had the most meaningful moment" competition, and it shouldn't be.

I had a sign and a costume. My motivation for getting on stage had nothing to do with competing with anyone, or NEEDING to get on stage, or wanting limelight for myself. I wanted to get on stage because I love dancing, and I have loved U2 for 18 years. Having danced with a U2 tribute band for 3 years, my dream was to dance with the real thing, just once. It was the thrill of a lifetime for me...a few brief moments of being U2's belly dancer.

The next show after my dance, I held up a thank you sign, but no higher than my shoulders. In fact, I would NEVER hold up a sign where it will block anyone's view. In Toronto the night I was pulled up, I explained what I was trying to do to the people behind me and got their OK before holding up the sign at all. I would never hold up a sign during a meaningful song like SYCMIOYO...it just seems wrong to me to try to get his attention during an emotional moment in the show.

So....in Boston this past weekend I thought about bringing a sign, not asking for anything, just a hello, but changed my mind because 1) If he did decide to pull me up I'd be sabotaging someone else's turn and 2) it was sooooo relaxing just going as myself and not having to worry about when to hold up the sign, do they see it, etc etc.

I am a little envious of those who get pulled up multiple times, I wonder "what do they have that I don't have?" but I certainly don't hold it against them or think in terms of competition. I am thrilled with what happened to me, and very happy for anyone else who has their dream come true with the band on stage. I think anyone who would try to ruin someone else's moment is petty and vindictive.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Jess. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Wow, that girl wouldn't have been alive today if she had have done that to me. :mad:

Same here - definitely would have had to "take her down" :D

Last edited:
There is just no excuse at all for the way some act at these concerts. Really what is gained by sabotaging someone else's chances? Not like those who do this stupid shit actually get on the stage instead,lol.

Mrs. Edge said:

:yes: i think the internet plays a large part in why for some fans it turns into a competition. As wonderful as boards like interference can be, they can also cause problems. Someone reading the boards might read about how bono kissed a fan, or held their hand, or pulled them onstage. Then, if he/she goes to a concert and this doesn't happen, they might, like you said Mrs Edge, wonder "what's wrong with me?" so maybe that's why people bring signs- in order to increase the chances that they, too, will have some of the special moments that others on Interference are fortunate to have had. Another problem with the internet is that you don't hear tone of voice when reading a post. Thus, some people might be perceived as bragging- even if they are NOT meaning to do so- which can also lead to resentment and foster "competition" among fans.

i dunno. :shrug: i brought one sign to a show, Boston 5/28, which was on a sheet of 8 x 11 paper- it said "Thank you, U2". i held it up in front of my chest for about 45 seconds during 'Yahweh'- i just wanted to express my appreciation for everything the band has done for us on this tour and over the years. personally, i have never wanted to get onstage- in fact, i actually looked down when bono sang a good part of "Mysterious Ways" in front of me on 11/21, scared to make eye contact or even look at him (i'm not saying that it would have happened, i just don't want to get up there).

that being said, i don't care if others bring signs, just don't block other people's view. that's just rude. :down:

MysteryGirl said:

omg when i saw your sign i was hoping and praying...bono would see it...

and i hoped he would play mystery girl and he did.

that was a hilite for me.

and re signs: as long as they don't block anyways view and u have no expectations from the band ..cause they owe u knowing...i think for the most part they r fun and can add to the show...just like in boston....we got to hear mystery girl that wasn't on the set list.

yay!!!

It's also too bad that people who get pulled onstage feel like they have to defend their getting onstage.

(Did I say that right? I'm worried that sounds like a negative thing against the posters who do that, but it's not.)

Ugh ... it's just all making my brain hurt and giving me frown lines. Pass the Botox! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom