Next tour prediction(s): WAR and POP songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Given the conditions of the current times, and how they will change, I'm betting that U2 will be playing songs from WAR and have a POP encore for the next tour.

Songs that will be included from the War album (in no particular order or rotation)

Like A Song
New Year's Day
Seconds
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Two Hearts Beat As One *possibly*

Then, for the encores expect;

MOFO
Discotheque
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Gone
Please*

Please may be played in the main set, I have a feeling that the next tour will be focused on the relief (if solved by then) for Africa, and peace (COEXIST will make a return, as well as Love And Peace Or Else)

Projected Setlist:

1. New Song
2. New Song
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation
5. Out Of Control
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Year's Day
8. New Song
9. New Song (segues into COBL)
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. New Song (politically written)
12. Love And Peace Or Else
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Please
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

18. MOFO
19. Discotheque
20. With Or Without You

21. All Because Of You
22. One
23. Yahweh
24. ??? (Mystery song closer, perhaps they'll have a strong closer this time)

Songs from HTAADB that will stay:

Crumbs From Your Table
All Because Of You
Sometimes...
Fast Cars
Vertigo
Yahweh

Oldies, but goodies that will stay;

Streets
Pride
Bullet
NYD
Out Of Control (give 'Follow' a break)

The theme of the tour will be UNITY. I foresee problems in the world continuing, but making an effort to unite mankind. Bush will be out of office, and Blair hopefully out of power, we will see what politics play in this round.

DVD to be filmed in America, U2 Live From Madison Square Garden (or Miami)

DVD to be filmed outside of America, Amsterdam (or possibly Chorzow, or a Dublin crowd -- Phoenix Park??)

I just hope they drop Bullet and Yahweh and bring back Walk On. They also really need to bring back the red backdrop for Streets and not be so Africa driven. Basically I want to relive the Elevation tour.

Really a lot of depends how new songs will work live and which ones from older material could suit them well. I feel there will be MAX 3-4 HTDAAB songs (vertigo for sure, possibly love and peace, cobl and mayby oots? it's Bono's favourite from the new album, but nobody knows- look what happened with kite), probably only 2 in a regular setlist. No way second encore will start with ABOY and contain yahweh- too similar to the current tour! Also I strongly believe we will see pop encore (mofo/disco/wowy) already on 4th leg, so perhaps next time they'll bring on some totally new idea.

theu2fly said:
DVD to be filmed outside of America, (...) possibly Chorzow (...)

Now THAT'S an idea! :applaud:

Next tour it will be known as "Honey, don't you wear that Gold Digger dress.."

Schmoawa....HeeHee... :wink:

JCOSTER said:
Just give me " Velvet Dress" I be a happy woman!:drool:

Not impossible, they thought about doing it on Vertigo. :shrug:

Like someone else said. Depends on the feel of the next album what gets played. U2 goes on feel during rehearsals. What they think flows and fits the theme of the new album. They wont even have an idea obviously until the next album is almost done 3 years from now. Speculating at this point is just that.

One listed though I would say is near impossible is Like A Song. Played once and the band didnt like the way it worked live. I doubt that one will ever be even attempted again.

Last edited:
If they did Please-->Streets, I would be very, very happy.

:heart:

I'd hope not to have ABOY in the set, or Pride (although that's realistically going to stay). I like having Seconds and Two Hearts in there though...also, I think/hope Bad will be semi-regular. They've got to know it's nearly on the level of Streets in concert.

I love the idea of more Pop songs :drool: but I think your projected setlist is too similar to this tour. U2 wouldn't repeat themselves like that. I'm guessing we'll have 2-4 HTDAAB songs per night. Vertigo will stay I'm sure, but I'm not sure what else.

I hope U2 could maybe drop a couple of the "classics," like Pride and Bullet. Prolly won't happen, but it'd be nice. Leave room for some less played 90's stuff!

I think whatever U2's new album is like will make a serious difference in the whole live show - U2 don't tour as a greatest hits band, they tour to promote their new album and the whole show is built around that. I'm thinking whatever U2 comes up with next will be more experimental and/or a little more rocking/raw and maybe U2 will decide to do something really BIG and try to top ZooTV/Popmart. We'll see.

Maybe Streets wont segue with anything on the next tour. Seeing we missed out on the traditional red back drop and 'the lights' on this tour, maybe they'll take it right back next time round...

encore:
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What Im Looking For
With or Without You

encore:
Beautiful Day
*New Slow Song
40 (maybe)

PS - Id also like to see One moved up the set like it was on Zoo TV. Also the removal of Pride, Bullet and maybe even Sunday in place of some other stuff.

Last edited:
I think Pride and SBS should stay, Bullet will stick around for it's message but needs a better transition...

I think Streets should END the main set or OPEN the encore. I think sticking it in no-mans land is asking or problems. It is U2's most difficult song to follow in my opinion.

I think next tour will see some TUF tracks...I will work on a probably setlist

U*2 World Tour 2009

New Album: 10 songs

Certain Songs: 5
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One

Likely Songs: 11
Bullet The Blue Sky
I Will Follow
New Year's Day
Until The End of The World
Elevation
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
Desire
Pride (In The Name of Love)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
"40"

Rotating Songs: 15
With or Without You
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Bad
All I Want is You
Love and Peace or Else
The Unforgettable Fire
Out of Control
Please
The Fly
Staring at The Sun
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
A Sort of Homecoming
The Electric Co.

Rare Gems: 18
The Wanderer
Gloria
Tomorrow
Exit
Love is Blindness
Angel of Harlem
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Gone
Mofo
Electrical Storm
Yahweh
All Because of You
Dirty Day
Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Out of
Party Girl
MLK
Running To Stand Still
Dirty Day

----------------------------------------
That is 59 tracks, roughly equivalent to their recent tours. Any comments?

bono_man said:
Maybe Streets wont segue with anything on the next tour. Seeing we missed out on the traditional red back drop and 'the lights' on this tour, maybe they'll take it right back next time round...

encore:

YES. I totally agree with that. Have it open the encore with the red backdrop and the organ intro and everything. Though it's a hard song to follow. I've actually always liked Pride after it, though. It just works.

thelaj - good list you've got there :up: I don't know if they'll ever work out Electrical Storm though. I also doubt Love is Blindness will ever come back, though if it did... :drool: I think if Mofo is played it will become a regular for that tour. I'm thinking maybe next tour they'll bring back Even Better Than The Real Thing just because it hasn't been played since...Popmart? I don't know of it being played on Elevation.

I would like to see 'Bad' in on a more permanent basis for their next tour. I like it as a closer, but it seems even better suited as a transition into another song. In fact, i loved the Bad into Streets they did for the Elevation-Boston dvd... no intro message or Africa stuff to kill the momentum, just go directly from Bad into Streets.

The next tour will likely be dominated by 21st century U2 releases. I think that's the route U2 wants to go. The big hits will still be there, though. I'd like to see a more aggressive version of 'Pride' (this tours version seemed stale) and 'Gloria' played more often.

And, yes, if U2 does decide to go with a "hip-hop" underpinning for their next album, then I'd expect some 'Pop' tunes to make a comeback (Discotheque and Mofo I hope). Personally, I'd love to see 'Staring at the Sun' back in the rotation even though that's not a dance tune.

My prediction for the big comeback song surprise next tour (ala Electrico) - an agressive version of "A Day Without Me". It's fast and could be a good addition near the start of the opening set. I'd love to see what the boys could do with that song given their abilities today! :)

I think the next tour should have polished up (and true) verions of what the band wanted for POP... songs like Gone, Please, Staring At The Sun, they should all be done the way the band wanted to do them.

War songs, I think SBS, NYD and 40 will return, however, NYD will have a good segue, Elevation -> NYD, bad idea IMO...

LAPOE -> NYD -> SBS would be great.

i just want the red backdrop and no speech or swahili screaming for streets. anyone think walk on will come back?

A New York / Amsterdam DVD box-set would be a cool thing (as New York = New Amsterdam)

I also think Drowning Man is a great song...Have you heard the version with bono reading poetry and the start, and a female vocal? its rather lovely

Back
Top Bottom