New York VII Setlist Watch, Party, and Stream, Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll leave you two alone. :wink:

Everyone here has gone to bed. Maybe it's time for me to leave as well. :sad: Thanks for the stream, QB!

EDIT: Oh, I can wait for Pop Muzik. :drool: :drool: :drool:

NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH! EVERYBODY TALK ABOUT POP MUZIK!

POP!
POP!
POP!
POP!
MUZIK!

DANCE TO THE POPMART THE TOP OF THE FOODCHAIN...

Back...killing me... :crack:

wenda said:
omg, me want!! and is ricardo around for it?

It's on the Last Night On Earth single, I think. I'd upload it for you if I didn't need to go to bed soon. :sad:

GibsonGirl said:

It's on the Last Night On Earth single, I think. I'd upload it for you if I didn't need to go to bed soon. :sad:

Thanks anyway GG!!! Go sleep and dream of good onstage thingies, lol.

hey everyone! just got home from the show- it was very good, but i personally think that last night's was a lot better. it ended really abruptly- they were playing 'instant karma' with patti smith onstage, and it sounded great. then all of a sudden, bono grabs patti and they leave the stage. the rest of the band follows. we thought it was over, but then they all reappeared, did one more verse of 'instant karma', and then ended it for good. very odd.

i saw the setlist, and they cut "yahweh" and "40". i wonder why they had to get out of there so quickly??

even though i was much more impressed with last night's show, it was still a fun night, and the band never really disappoints. :up:

Goodnight QB, and thanks, thanks to all.

Just heard from PopArtist. Yahweh and 40 were on the original setlist, but apparently got cut. Also, Bono's voice was a little hoarse. :wave:

Just got back from MSG: a great show, but an odd ending.

First off, it was a little disappointing that there was so little variation from the night before (Electric Co vs. I Will Follow, really). I wonder why there was less variation in NY than other places -- one theory is that the band wants to give "its best" setlist to NYC because a) it's one of their favorites and b) because so many of their friends/industry people are there. Right now, this setlist is the one they think is best.

Anyway, moving on -- despite the repitition, the band had GREAT energy. Bono was jumping around the whole night, goofing off between songs, in a great mood. And I've rarely seen Larry smile so much. The crowd was loud too. Really loud.

Now, about the ending. First, it was strange that during "Instant Karma" the band walked off the stage, but you could still hear the bass and guitar...and then they walked back on, still playing, for another verse! Funny, and kinda cool. So, I assumed that, once that was over, they'd say goodbye to Patti and finish up with another song or two. At the very least, "40."

But, as the house lights stayed down, we could see behind the stage as the band and entourage hurried out. And then that was it, the end. I don't know why.

Some theories: I didn't really notice Bono grimace after the piggyback ride or move around less. He seemed really active during Instant Karma, for one. Also, I'm not sure about the Patti Smith spitting thing. She spits a lot while singing (in her set, she did plenty) -- I was there tonight and didn't see her spit at Larry.

She did, however, seem unstable -- she toppled to the ground once during her own set and seemed unsteady (drunk? sick?) during Instant Karma. Bono also had to keep prodding her to sing off the teleprompter during the song, it was clear that he took some of her parts.

So maybe that's the answer...she wasn't well, and the band ended the show. Or, they thought they had a cool ending, and considering the need to skip town, they decided that was it. That's possible, because while the show didn't have a huge number of songs, a lot of them went long. It was 2 hours, 10 minutes with only 20/21 songs. However, they barely said goodbye -- just some quick waves. For the last NYC night, I'd have expected something more.

Other theories/rumors?

:wave:

just walked over from MSG..........I'm at a nearby net cafe.

actually except for Patti half fall backwards {? she wasn'nt stand up totally at that point....it seemed like she tripped on one of the ?? monitors?..........she was in great form through HER set! Lot of moving around, gestures, very powerful.....powerful singing, powerful talk/chanting.....

shit, she can still give women rockers in their 30's a run for their money!!! and more then half of them HAVE Patti to thank for a more powerful, dynamic non-Joplinesque performance style.

when she walked out on to the stage for IK I thought she was being very stylistic in a slow walk towards the front....

I was looking through binoc from ? sec 335 but really quite a good view with them....we were just past the ellipse.....

maybe i missed that bono was prodding her........

She also opened ........because i think alot of folks DIDNM't get the TIME CHANGE.......................she & her band opened up to about a 8% of the garden audience in there....
only more than half way through did alot more people begin to show up.

We made sure we yelled loud enogu up from where we were!

Hey, I'm a looong time PAtti fan from Piss Factory days {private label} before they made or perhaps even were signed to do Horses.
can't comapre to yesterdays show................ Waited on line for 6 hours NO GA's
:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: I STILL Haven't had a GA experience. I'd need a genuine money gift miracle to get a GA ticket for say HArtford or Boston and THEN the money to travel there & back. SO this WAS 98% my last show till they return..........when ever THAT will be.

AT least i've been blessed enough to have seen them once at each month they were here in NYC :love:
but show was powerful, energetic.............Even when Bono went horse intermitently........he stayed usually on key....and and other times he was sounding just beautiful.............

EDGE was whipping up a storm....... one of his best nights
crowd was energized!

I'm not disagreeing that the ending was a little strange..............

but Bono talked a hell of alot about NYC & MSG and playing here..........all night long!!! :love: :love:

I DO believe it might be their 20th anniversary OF PLAYING the garden first time.........which I do beleive was around the summer
of 1985 .
I was there and beleive me I'd been seeing them live from 83 and a fan since 80/81-- so I'm almost pos i would have known they were playing MSG any earlier time - {clarifuy} as a HJeadliner, that is :D. I was THRILLED for them that they had MADE IT to MSG at last, back then!

Last edited:
I was at the front and have a set list. The final 4 songs were supposed to be:

SIAM
Yahweh
Instant Karma

They only did SIAM and Instant Karma.

I'm glad U2 likes Patti Smith, her music was decent, but she's a loon, needs a makeover and needs to stop spitting on the front row. I didn't want her to come over by us for fear of getting a loogie in the face.

The show ended abruptly and was rather odd.

Keane was better.

Just got back from the show... They left early because they had to haul ass. That's it. (I think it may be more than a tax problem, and in fact, a visa problem.) I also noticed the trucks were lined up before the show (about 8:15 pm), and had begun to move out by 11:45 pm. I swear, I have never seen a stage dismantled as quickly as tonight. One other tidbit... One of the light crew people (front right guy who climbs up the ladder) said that 40 was on the revised setlist (it appears that Yahweh had already been dropped because of timing issues), that Bono wanted to go back out instead of reprising IK, but someone said it was too late, and so they reprised IK. (BTW, it's true that The Edge kept playing the guitar part even though they had left the stage.) Actually, if I didn't know any better (if I didn't follow the band incessantly), I thought Instant Karma was a great closer.

I thought the show was amazing, and a very good end to the eight night run. (I was there for every night, so I have some right to say this.) Setlist-wise, though, it could have been a bit better (add The Fly and Crumbs, but subtract Stuck). There were many references to JFK. Hutchence may have died on this too, but JFK is the one people remember. (Where were you when JFK was shot? BTW, I was not even a thought in my father's mind.)

BTW, my sister and I made it into the ellipse because of the lucky leprechaun. Thanks to everyone that sent the positive vibes!!
I had tears in my eyes during WOWY (my sister's favorite song). She kept asking me during the May show, "are they gonna play WOWY?", when I knew they wouldn't. This time around, she wasn't disappointed. She ended the night by saying that Bono sings better than I do at home (I'm a Mister The Edge wannabe). :wink:

Lastly, I have video, including most of Instant Karma. (Maybe, I caught the supposed spitting episode.) I hope to have the new computer up and running by the weekend. Look for the clips sometime then!

One question, was the stream tonight better than last night?

Last edited:
and bono was very energetic as well!
Adam was walking round at times smiling.......while electric Co? or another long instrumental part....I saw adam dbending down at the edge of his stage side and was talking or dhaking hands fwith a fan or two.

Edge was out on the ellipse alot too, aND Bono & Edge chased each other around the ellipse ??? 2 or 3 times during UTEOTW......... that was fun........E did a partucularly stunning job on UTEOTW :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
Goodnight QB, and thanks, thanks to all.

Just heard from PopArtist. Yahweh and 40 were on the original setlist, but apparently got cut. Also, Bono's voice was a little hoarse. :wave:

Actually *Ally* above your message with the same info was the one who told me after the show about Yahweh and 40 being on the original setlist. :)

MTEdge said:
Just got back from the show... They left early because they had to haul ass. That's it. (I think it may be more than a tax problem, and in fact, a visa problem.) I also noticed the trucks were lined up before the show (about 8:15 pm), and had begun to move out by 11:45 pm. I swear, I have never seen a stage dismantled as quickly as tonight. One other tidbit... One of the light crew people (front right guy who climbs up the ladder) said that 40 was on the revised setlist (it appears that Yahweh had already been dropped because of timing issues), that Bono wanted to go back out instead of reprising IK, but someone said it was too late, and so they reprised IK. (BTW, it's true that The Edge kept playing the guitar part even though they had left the stage.) Actually, if I didn't know any better (if I didn't follow the band incessantly), I thought Instant Karma was a great closer.

I thought the show was amazing, and a very good end to the eight night run. (I was there for every night, so I have some right to say this.) Setlist-wise, though, it could have been a bit better (add The Fly and Crumbs, but subtract Stuck). There were many references to JFK. Hutchence may have died on this too, but JFK is the one people remember. (Where were you when JFK was shot? BTW, I was not even a thought in my father's mind.)

BTW, my sister and I made it into the ellipse because of the lucky leprechaun. Thanks to everyone that sent the positive vibes!!
I had tears in my eyes during WOWY (my sister's favorite song). She kept asking me during the May show, "are they gonna play WOWY?", when I knew they wouldn't. This time around, she wasn't disappointed. She ended the night by saying that Bono sings better than I do at home (I'm a Mister The Edge wannabe). :wink:

Lastly, I have video, including most of Instant Karma. (Maybe, I caught the supposed spitting episode.) I hope to have the new computer up and running by the weekend. Look for the clips sometime then!

One question, was the stream tonight better than last night?

I'm so happy you got into the ellipse and your sister got to hear WOWY :love: How special for you both. And like VP said, it's the karma. You helped my daughter & I get our GA ticket for LA2, and in turn a front row/rail spot to see our (my) favorite band and have the time of my life (brings tears to my eyes). And I appreciate the video you already posted, especially because The Beatles/Lennon mean a lot to me. I got all emotional both nights hearing Instant Karma, as well as watching the clips that have surfaced so far. (My sign in L.A. said, in rainbow letters "imagine")

I was wondering if he mentioned JFK at all - couldn't tell on the streams...I think I was in the womb that day...

And I can't wait to see more clips :hyper:

And I had the option of 2 different streams, so I can't really answer your question comparing the 2 nites :shifty:

One heart, One hope, One love :hug:

And for PopArtist - you can see that Ally & I posted at the same time :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom