New York V Setlist Watch and Party Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Hm, not just that. Personally, I think setlist diversity helps to create a show with a genuine air of spontaneity and a bit of a party atmosphere. It keeps the show a rock event rather than theatre. I loved seeing the Finn Brothers in July and not knowing what could happen. Really made the show exciting.

Oh, I understand what you are saying and I agree to a certain degree. I think though we all tend to get carried away with this stuff. I have recently on some other dumb threads myself. I knew some things and people took it as I was arrogant. Just like you are being accused of by some here. Its just not worth it. I should have just kept the info I had to myself and I would have avoided the argument. Its just not worth it. Nothing fun about it and thats what most of us are here to do and I'm assuming you as well.

Damn, I was so sad that I missed this setlist party for the final of the five in a row NY shows. Then I read this last thread.

Anyway, not much variation again. I can't really understand why not the Zoo Station/The Fly encore this time or why they opened with COBL but hey we got GLORIA!!! So maybe we see it again on the next shows. They should play it, along with An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart in every second or third show!

I can only compare a setlist party as looking at the map (i.e. the setlist) wheras at the concert you're looking out the window... which experience is better.... we all know the answer.

BTW. On a not too different note. Why does everyone want them to play Mofo so badly? lol. I mean I love the song too :drool: but why this song over others that they play even less. I wish I could have heard Red Hill Mining Town live have they ever even played that song? Oh well, just always wondered what everyones love for Mofo was about. =)

u2wedge said:
I can only compare a setlist party to looking at the map (i.e. the setlist) wheras at the concert you're looking out the window... which experience is better.... we all know the answer.

Hey. That's a darn good analogy.

u2wedge said:
I can only compare a setlist party as looking at the map (i.e. the setlist) wheras at the concert you're looking out the window... which experience is better.... we all know the answer.

In many cases, I prefer the map or don't see either as more preferable. But I'm a geography nerd and being from New Zealand, I have high standards for scenery. :nerd:

catlhere said:
BTW. On a not too different note. Why does everyone want them to play Mofo so badly? lol. I mean I love the song too :drool: but why this song over others that they play even less. I wish I could have heard Red Hill Mining Town live have they ever even played that song? Oh well, just always wondered what everyones love for Mofo was about. =)

Because U2 were heard rehearsing Mofo in Toronto.

ramblin rose said:
Wow, the insults are really flying tonight. :lol:

I'm glad I had an extra BIG bottle of vodka to see me thro :crazy:

this is fun???!! :huh:

Axver said:

In many cases, I prefer the map or don't see either as more preferable. But I'm a geography nerd and being from New Zealand, I have high standards for scenery. :nerd:

I was going to say that I'd rather have a window in New Zealand than a map any day.

In other news, Sehwag and Inzi are both out, and the World is going down in flames.

I just hope I get to go to a concert this tour, that is all

have that window, not the map

which is one of the better analogies i've heard in a long time wedge

u2wedge said:

I was going to say that I'd rather have a window in New Zealand than a map any day.

:drool: Hell yeah, so would I, especially if I were in the South Island.

Axver said:
Now, for all of you who think I'm terribly negative, you might want to see what I wrote about tonight in my regular update: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/

Remarkably positive, huh?
An accurate, factual reporting of the show. :up:

And, you have to admit, it was a pretty strong show. Two 3rd Leg debuts, plus two of the three songs that opened the encore are brand new to all except those who've seen multiple 3rd Leg shows. And the third, Stuck, has a brand new arrangement that just debuted 10 days ago.

And seriously, Vertigo x2 is cool! Especially since its been gone for a while.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Weren't dates in New Zealand confirmed the other night?

No.

A radio station just said U2 are coming in March. The reliability of that is uncertain.

Dream Vertigo Set That is Actually Kind of Realistic

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. The Cry/Electric Co./Bullet with Butterfly Wings (Snippet)/I Can See for Miles (Snippet)
4. Gloria
5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Beautiful Day/Sgt. Pepper's... (Snippet)
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own/No Regrets (Snippet)
10. Yahweh
11. Love and Peace or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet the Blue Sky
14. Miss Sarajevo
--- HUMAN RIGHTS VIDEO ---
15. Pride (In the Name of Love)
16. Where the Streets Have No Name
17. One/Unchained Melody

18. Until the End of the World
19. Discotheque
20. The Fly

21. Crumbs from Your Table
22. With or Without You/Shine Like Stars (Snippet)
23. Bad/The First Time (Snippet)/40 (Snippet)

cleazer said:
An accurate, factual reporting of the show. :up:

And, you have to admit, it was a pretty strong show. Two 3rd Leg debuts, plus two of the three songs that opened the encore are brand new to all except those who've seen multiple 3rd Leg shows. And the third, Stuck, has a brand new arrangement that just debuted 10 days ago.

And seriously, Vertigo x2 is cool! Especially since its been gone for a while.

Oh, yeah, it's a great set, besides Vertigo x2 (but we've had enough arguing for one thread so let's not mention that dispute any more!). I'm so glad they played Gloria, especially with The Electric Co. in the set too! I now wonder if it'll stay in the set; same goes for Out Of Control from the fourth show. Why not I Will Follow/Electric Co. one night and Out Of Control/Gloria the next in cities with two shows? That'd be cool.

Love this new Stuck too; never thought I would but U2've done a great job with it!

Axver said:

No.

A radio station just said U2 are coming in March. The reliability of that is uncertain.

oh, ok, I do hope they make it down there, because it would suck if they didn't

Axver said:
Why not I Will Follow/Electric Co. one night and Out Of Control/Gloria the next in cities with two shows? That'd be cool.
Hopefully this will fall under the realm of "friendly arguments", but I'd hate to see Electric Co get dropped every other night. No offense to the other three, but I'd be fine with putting them on a three night rotation, and leaving Electric Co in there every night.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Dream Vertigo Set That is Actually Kind of Realistic

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. The Cry/Electric Co./Bullet with Butterfly Wings (Snippet)/I Can See for Miles (Snippet)
4. Gloria
5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Beautiful Day/Sgt. Pepper's... (Snippet)
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own/No Regrets (Snippet)
10. Yahweh
11. Love and Peace or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet the Blue Sky
14. Miss Sarajevo
--- HUMAN RIGHTS VIDEO ---
15. Pride (In the Name of Love)
16. Where the Streets Have No Name
17. One/Unchained Melody

18. Until the End of the World
19. Discotheque
20. The Fly

21. Crumbs from Your Table
22. With or Without You/Shine Like Stars (Snippet)
23. Bad/The First Time (Snippet)/40 (Snippet)

Yes please. I like ABOY that early in the set, and that's the perfect closing trio.

(I'm back. I thought I was going to bed, but then I started doing some work, and now I'm wide awake again.)

And here's a serious setlist question: what happened to The Ocean? It got played on night one, and we haven't heard from it since.

For all the talk of setlist variations, this is one song that it looks like U2 really might have dropped, and I doubt many folks here missed it.

It was one of the weakest links on the whole tour, and we ought to at least give U2 a little credit for not making the fine folks of New York listen to it 5 nights in a row!

cleazer said:
Hopefully this will fall under the realm of "friendly arguments", but I'd hate to see Electric Co get dropped every other night. No offense to the other three, but I'd be fine with putting them on a three night rotation, and leaving Electric Co in there every night.

I agree with you totally here, as I love Electric Co. and think it should be a nightly fixture. But it seems U2 are willing to sacrifice it ... kind of odd to me.

Honestly, the two slots between Electric Co. and Beautiful Day (Ocean and ISHFWILF) should be open to swapping.

Night One:

The Electric Co.
Gloria
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day

Night Two:

The Electric Co.
I Will Follow
All I Want Is You
Beautiful Day

Night Three:

The Electric Co.
Out Of Control
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Beautiful Day

That would be awesome.

cleazer said:
And here's a serious setlist question: what happened to The Ocean? It got played on night one, and we haven't heard from it since.

For all the talk of setlist variations, this is one song that it looks like U2 really might have dropped, and I doubt many folks here missed it.

It was one of the weakest links on the whole tour, and we ought to at least give U2 a little credit for not making the fine folks of New York listen to it 5 nights in a row!

I was actually thinking about that earlier. It had been played something like nine shows in a row, and now it's suddenly disappeared. It seems U2 decided their rotational slot for the five shows should be the Boy/October part.

I think Ocean will be back in Philly, though.

I don't want to get shot in the back about this.. but I just got home from this show, and it felt very...quiet for the last night after a week in NYC.

I was really hoping they'd go nuts and play a barn-burner, but after the main set, it just never took flight again. I was disappointed, and well, just wanted to make note of my thoughts. Nothing more, and I don't want to fight about it.

Axver said:

I agree with you totally here, as I love Electric Co. and think it should be a nightly fixture. But it seems U2 are willing to sacrifice it ... kind of odd to me.

Honestly, the two slots between Electric Co. and Beautiful Day (Ocean and ISHFWILF) should be open to swapping.

Night One:

The Electric Co.
Gloria
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day

Night Two:

The Electric Co.
I Will Follow
All I Want Is You
Beautiful Day

Night Three:

The Electric Co.
Out Of Control
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Beautiful Day

That would be awesome.
Make it a 4 night rotation, and I think it would be superb!!

Night Four:

The Electric Co
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day

I think The Ocean would do better later in the set. COBL/Vertigo/ Elevation is a very high-powered opening trio, and The Ocean coming only a song or two away from that is a little too drastic of a shift. At least that's how it seemed to me when I saw it in May. It would be especially good prior to Bullet the Blue Sky or Sunday Bloody Sunday, in my opinion.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think The Ocean would do better later in the set. COBL/Vertigo/ Elevation is a very high-powered opening trio, and The Ocean coming only a song or two away from that is a little too drastic of a shift. At least that's how it seemed to me when I saw it in May. It would be especially good prior to Bullet the Blue Sky or Sunday Bloody Sunday, in my opinion.

I disagree there, as I found Ocean to be a good breather. But I was, let's say, very active during the first four songs. An Cat Dubh was far better - you could catch a little breath during that too as you're not jumping like you are in Elevation, but it's a far better song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom