New Material Snippets in December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
What do you think folks? Will the December shows have any snippets or full length songs of NEW material ?

My thinking is YES. We will hear a snippet of a new song and perhaps at the last gig, we could hear a new full song after they have had the opportunity to play it in sound check etc.

What do you think?

if u2 had any sense they use the concerts as a promotion and release the new album the day of the 1st dates.

not a chance though.

It depends on how quickly U2 can throw some new songs together. The first dates are supposed to be Mid-November so they have about 5 months , I'm sure they can come up with something.
However if I was a betting man I'd have to say we probably won't see any new material, at least not any new songs.

vaz02 said:
if u2 had any sense they use the concerts as a promotion and release the new album the day of the 1st dates.

not a chance though.

No way, this is why the first leg of popmart is deemed by many to be a failure.

Much of the US crowd had never heard the songs before..

You need to release records a good few months before a tours starts so people known them.

i really cant say that i know of U2 performing any of their own material unless a studio version has been issued first.

i dont believe they will play any new material, nor do i believe they will release anything like an EP or something of that nature! U2 like to take their time with records :(

quadcaster said:
i really cant say that i know of U2 performing any of their own material unless a studio version has been issued first.

There's actually a number of examples. Since 1989, they have consistently played She's A Mystery To Me despite the fact no U2 studio version of it has ever been released. In 2001, they played a still unreleased song, We Love You, to mark Edge's birthday (some say the song was impromptu, but while it sounds rough, it had been developed in soundchecks beforehand). Slow Dancing was played before its release - it was released in November 1993 but first played in December 1989. Two songs that have never been released, Carry Me Home and Father Is An Elephant, were played back in 1980/81 on the Boy Tour, along with early versions of I Fall Down and Fire.

Then, of course, there's quite a few examples of songs being played live after their studio version was recorded but before it was released (i.e. COBL was played live at Top of the Pops over a month before HTDAAB's release).

Axver said:
In 2001, they played a still unreleased song, We Love You, to mark Edge's birthday (some say the song was impromptu, but while it sounds rough, it had been developed in soundchecks beforehand).

Possibly the song that is mentioned that the Band are working on in the U2 : Live Concert Docoumentry book, they started working on a song early in the first leg of the tour, Bono descibes it as something out of the 70's or something to that effect....

quadcaster said:

i dont believe they will play any new material, nor do i believe they will release anything like an EP or something of that nature! U2 like to take their time with records :(

We've also never seen U2 in this position before, with this big of a gap and being in the studio.

Ellay said:

No way, this is why the first leg of popmart is deemed by many to be a failure.

Much of the US crowd had never heard the songs before..

You need to release records a good few months before a tours starts so people known them.

Not really true. The first leg was a disappointment because the band was not prepared to play the songs. It was a matter of quality of performance much more than the time between release and first show (which was almost 2 months). THe band was totally unprepared to play not only the new songs, but just about everything they played. They simply were not vey tight at all, and it showed in that first leg.

I heard the soundcheck of the song "I love you" in 2001 in Zurich. They played it a few days later in Germany somewhere..... it was not the best U2 song I've heard.....:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

We've also never seen U2 in this position before, with this big of a gap and being in the studio.

that basically sums everything up.

it seems that there's a lot of ambition in the U2 camp to get some songs pretty quickly, so i'm actually counting on the next leg featuring at least 2-3 new songs.

Yahweh_OMG said:
I heard the soundcheck of the song "I love you" in 2001 in Zurich. They played it a few days later in Germany somewhere..... it was not the best U2 song I've heard.....:|

yeah, they played it on 2001-08-06 in antwerp. does anybody have this show (or the zurich soundcheck) & can share?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well, they had a few months in between last date of stadium leg in America and Zooropa dates in Europe.

arzcrack said:
I would be just as satisified with a new speech from Bono. That One speech has been made so many times even Bono sounds bored with it.
In my opinion Bono should do these speeches at all! Of course he means is well, but it's a U2 show and I think these speeches have a negative impact on the show...

Some political suggestions are ok ofcourse, but this last tour if filled with them...

Zoo-TV (specially Zooropa) was filled with political statements aswell, but they added to the show... The speeches that Bono did during this tour didn't add to the show...

ontopic : I think U2 should do snippets of new songs! Just play a new song or don't! I remember going to a RHCP gig in 2001 (or 2002) that was part of a small tour just between Californication and By The Way where they played several new songs that would later apear on the By The Way album... What good is a snippet if noone knows if its a new song....

Neilz said:

What good is a snippet if noone knows if its a new song....

... which will give us plenty of stuff to discuss about for months and months... :wink:

Peter said:

... which will give us plenty of stuff to discuss about for months and months... :wink:

:yup: If they were to play a snippet and no one could recognize the song as a U2 song or anyone else's, and with the knowledge that they've been working on new material, this place would be abuzz with whether the snippet stuff is new U2, what direction it'll mean, "I like it," "I hate it, you suck for liking it," "it's not Mercy," and all kinds of fun stuff! :hyper: :wink:

well it is near-insane to keep promoting a two-year old album...i mean people the vertigo tour needs to lay down and be shot, so maybe this will be a zooropa thing, dont know

but arent people bored with the vertigo tour?

nightninja56 said:
well it is near-insane to keep promoting a two-year old album...i mean people the vertigo tour needs to lay down and be shot, so maybe this will be a zooropa thing, dont know

but arent people bored with the vertigo tour?

No, there is a world outside the US and Europe. We would like to actually have an opportunity to see U2 for the first time in a decade.

Back
Top Bottom