New Live Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skwege

The Fly
Well it seems pretty clear that U2 plans to release a DVD from the Chicago shows.
So does anyone else hope that maybe they'll release a 2CD Set from one of the European dates to complement the DVD.
Morrissey recently did this with his two live releases. Relasing an Earls Court DVD, and then a live CD with a completely different selection of songs.

Methinks they are ain't ever going to be a U2 live CD. With CD sales in decline and CD stores concentrating on DVD's its going to be live DVD's all the way. I prefer another live DVD to a CD anyway. It would seem stupid to buy a live CD (which may or may not be complete or even a mix of various shows) when we can download a show sometimes within days of happening in lossless format. At least with the DVD I get pro shot video as well and maybe some nice extra's.

I really, really hope that they put out a DVD from the U.S. and a DVD from Europe - that would be cool.

i have a feeling we will be seeing a DVD of the stadium tour. It would be a crime if we didn't.

Edge was asked about a live CD for the Elevation tour and he said the DVD is the live album. So my guess is their thinking will be the same for this tour. Although, offering a download of a show would be kind of cool and they wouldnt have to go through the CD production and cost. Would make sense, but I'm not holding my breath.

I enjoyed both the DVD's from the last tour, but one of the things I would like is more of a mixed DVD, have a full show, with a bonus disc which in effect is a highlights of the tour, featuring songs that weren't staples.

For example from this tour, it could have Out of Control, With or Without You, Zoo Station (if its dropped for the next leg), Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (though I hope that one stays) etc..

I dunno, I'd also be happy enough for one DVD from the tour :)

Doesn't matter...either an over-produced DVD or an over-edited/over-produced "live" cd :( Thanks but no thanks...I mean, I'm a U2 fan, of course I'd buy it. But frankly I watch the boot dvd's (fan or proshot) more than I do Slane or Boston. The DVD thing I know is just my opinion, and I'm probably in the minority...but as for the editing of the live cd's I rather think I'm not alone...

Yes, 2 DVDs, like during the Elevation Tour.

One to show the arena show, one to show the stadium show.

this is from Willies diary

Chicago United Center I

The main focus of this week is the Big Video Shoot, where we will be attempting to capture something of the Vertigo show on camera. It’s unusually early in the tour to be doing this, it being an activity which has traditionally waited until almost the very end in previous outings, but ha! we laugh in the face of convention. We may end up shooting more shows as the tour goes on, moves outdoors, etc., so it will be good to record it in its early stages.

um - if anyone wants live cd - just rip the live dvd audio using available pc software, and then burn each song onto music cd. this way you have the best of both worlds - a good quality video and audio dvd , and the same quality audio on a cd. I apreciate the DVD, but can't watch it in my car on a cd player, therefore the audio cd ripped from DVD is great. By the way Coldplay did this for us recently with a live DVD and live cd (cd missing a few tracks - but still pretty good).

A live Cd would be sensational!!!!
It would easily have better sound quality than any audience recording. Ripping Audio from a DvD is great, but it takes away from watching the DvD and it's boring to listen to once you've watched the DvD planty of times, would be much better if it was different to the DvD so it feels like a fresh concert instead of the same thing over and over.

U2 are the greatest live band ever!!!!! So they should release more live stuff no matter what the market is doing in terms of CD sales....... screw the record company, just release it already!!

I see what you mean but I have no problems listening to those audience bootlegs in my car. They seem to get better every tour and they do manage to convey the feel of what it was to have actually been there far better then official live CD's. The problem I forsee with a U2 live CD is that it will be overproduced, incomplete and maybe made up from several shows. So we end up with a generic concert from nowhere with a setlist that never was. So far the only release they ever did that was a complete show from A to Z is the Mexico City Popmart show. And their only live CD is a mixup from maybe 3 to 4 different shows.

I love my San Diego opening night boot - I just think they have a certain something about them that really captures the concert (a decent quality one preferably).

That said, it's not inconceivable they would release a live album on itunes for example. The cost would be radically reduced as there would be no case/artwork/distribution fees, so it's a smart way to make money. It also would be a nice little bonus to have a professionally produced live concert (one concert tho, not a mix 'n' match).

Overall tho, I really do prefer the DVD option as seeing them perform live is just such a glorious experience!

Last edited:
I enjoyed how the management for Coldplay handled their "Live 2003" release. It was all about the DVD really and they just "threw in" a bonus live cd as an extra. The perfect route.

Well I've been ripping DVD's to audio CDs for a few years now.
The whole purpose of my suggestion though, is for an official live release that would feature songs that wont be on the Chicago DVD.
Though I am all in support of an additional DVD. Maybe a two disc Definitive Vertigo Tour boxset. An American Arena Show, a European Stadium show, maybe the upcoming Live 8 Performance, and a smattering of additional bonus songs.

Personally i'll take an official release over a bootleg anyday. U2 Official Live releases aren't as polished and edited as some other bands. Hell, just listen to Live In The City of Light by Simple Minds, now that is a live album edited all to hell.

Frankly I just prefer purchasing something that supports the band, over downloading an illegitimate audience bootleg.

How about a DVD with a special DVD offering that includes a CD of the same material -- would help those of us who don't have the time or skillz to rip audio off a DVD then burn it to CD for other purposes.

I love boots, but I'd also like the chance to buy some live music from the band / label that I can play in my car or non-DVD stereo units.

Choice for consumers is a good thing, and I can't imagine the incremental production costs to lay down a master CD would be that much if they are doing a DVD anyway. Estimating the demand for the production CD might be tricky, but please, I doubt they would lose money on something like this.

Why doesn't u2.com just post some concerts for free?

I did pay $40 for a one year membership- i think that is worth a show or two.

BWU2Buffs said:
How about a DVD with a special DVD offering that includes a CD of the same material -- would help those of us who don't have the time or skillz to rip audio off a DVD then burn it to CD for other purposes.

I love boots, but I'd also like the chance to buy some live music from the band / label that I can play in my car or non-DVD stereo units.

Choice for consumers is a good thing, and I can't imagine the incremental production costs to lay down a master CD would be that much if they are doing a DVD anyway. Estimating the demand for the production CD might be tricky, but please, I doubt they would lose money on something like this.

Print a million copies and when they sell out, heck, just print some more.

BU2FUL said:
um - if anyone wants live cd - just rip the live dvd audio using available pc software, and then burn each song onto music cd. this way you have the best of both worlds - a good quality video and audio dvd , and the same quality audio on a cd. I apreciate the DVD, but can't watch it in my car on a cd player, therefore the audio cd ripped from DVD is great. By the way Coldplay did this for us recently with a live DVD and live cd (cd missing a few tracks - but still pretty good).

Hi, where do you get this software from??

Cheers

I thought the plan WAS to put concerts on the net. At least that's what was rumoured beforehand... and then id be more than happy paying 40$ to u2.com for decent quality recordings.

I'd buy a live CD for completisms sake, but to be honest I listen to boots more than anything.

i think i've watched the two elevation dvds only three or four times, compare that to the early nineties when live material was a lot rarer and I watched ZOO tv in sydney HUNDREDS of times.

Muad'zin said:
So far the only release they ever did that was a complete show from A to Z is the Mexico City Popmart show.

Actually, this isn't even a complete show. A bunch of songs are missing. "Mysterious Ways," "Still Haven't Found...", "Pride," "Even Better Than the Real Thing"...if you want to get technical about it, "Last Night on Earth" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" aren't on there either, though they were released on singles.

nathan1977 said:

Actually, this isn't even a complete show. A bunch of songs are missing. "Mysterious Ways," "Still Haven't Found...", "Pride," "Even Better Than the Real Thing"...if you want to get technical about it, "Last Night on Earth" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" aren't on there either, though they were released on singles.

I'd recommend you watch the Popmart video again. Several of those songs are on there.

Skwege said:

I'd recommend you watch the Popmart video again. Several of those songs are on there.

ALL of these songs are on there. Great show btw!!!:wink:

Skwege said:

I think he is probebly referring to the Propaganda CD of the show "Hasta La Vista Baby".

Back
Top Bottom