My Cure for TOUR Sickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadRacer

The Fly
I. The Sickness

U2 are touring the world. Now, for those who are not seeing them this tour, watching them pass us by - I've heard it so often: "Real U2 fans know the avenues to get at tickets." That usually means hopping around on Craigslist, ticketmaster, eBay, Yahoo groups, forums, and other extra hassles. Well, if being a U2 fan means wasting your entire life campaigning for tickets, then I don't want any of it! Making you jump through all those hoops and perform acrobatic tricks may be some persons' idea of proving your loyalty to the band, but I beg to differ, and you should tell me who is right when you see me on the floor, going off like a rocket, and they're standing there, hugging a rail, because they don't want to take their eyes off that leather jacket :coocoo: :shame:

And then there is the pain. I've read up about this enough on the forum. I don't want any bit more. People who got no chance of being there are getting caught up in the hype, nonetheless. And then you want to be there and then there is the pain of separation :sad: :reject:

II. Cure, Pt.1

I don't envy anyone on this tour, anymore. March 30th, two days after SD1, I went to my friend's - he's got a roomy cellar (looks like the one from Walk On) - played a whole bunch of songs, ourselves (wasn't all U2, either - we played what we wanted), and it ended up more satisfying and more energetic than any concert I could pay for.

Our setlist was also over 3 hours long, so when I looked at U2's nightly, wimpy setlists, I'm not impressed. And the energy output - forget about skipping any scream on ABOY; we're talking quadrupling them, and then some (U2 are pretty soft, after all, so you gotta turn it way up) :combust:

III. Deeper Thoughts

I've already hinted at this, but coming back the next day, my eyes glanced over the news and the hype, and I'm thinking: "not impressive" :yawn: I've already noticed at the concerts I've been to that they are a great place to get loud and emotional the way you just can't, even in your own house, but I'm pretty sure that if people had another outlet for these very basic impulses, all of a sudden the enthusiasm they have for a concert of their favorite performer, is suprisingly diminished.

Now, you'll still see me running around this site and others, looking for tickets. That's because I know it's apples and oranges to compare doing your own show and seeing a U2 show. All I'm saying is that U2 can't give me what my own exertion can. But what I'm talking about gives me enough detachment so I don't hunt tickets like mad and cry my eyes out at night. I just lay it in the lap of the gods, and I shall smile curiously and happily if it falls in.

IV. Cure, Pt.2

Also, another part of this "cure" would be going out to see a small act that you like, when they come around. There you can go crazy :rockon: and, more than likely, have more fun than at a U2 show. (Big acts are usually over-rated; and "intimate" is only a label U2 can slap onto themselves, when, in reality, an arena show is still far from that.) Even better is a local act, whom you can see like every weekend. If you do that, you'll count as one of their hardcore fans, in no time. And no one will question :bump: your fandom if, for example, you're not in the fanclub or subscribed to the magazine or aren't a personality on the forum, 'cause they DON'T have one!

I know the stones don't like to move, but, brothers, friends and fellow country-men, you may open your mind to receive this message :blahblah: :hug:

Huh? Wot? I personally live in the southern hemisphere where there are no known tour dates. Wouldnt matter if I bought tickets on ebay.com or where ever, I dont live on that fucking continent.

Sorry if Im starting to get angry but Im really getting pissed off with whiny fans who live in countries that U2 are playing.

peace.

or

maybe

not.

:mad:

I'm glad your bitterness is subsiding. Envy is a vicious emotion.

beli said:

His/hers might be subsiding but mines in full flight. lol.

awww... maybe we should trade countries for a few months.... I'm missing out on all sorts of SK and Church stuff, and you're missing out on U2. Then we can trade back when The Church comes here and U2 goes there. :D

You do live a bit far from Sydney though.... :(

beli said:
I live a bit far from everywhere. Sydneys possible though, financially, whereas USA is not. Did you find anyone to tape that foxtel thing?

That's true. Damned transcontinental travel! :madspit:

I might have! I'll let you know. :D

RadRacer said:
I. The Sickness

U2 are touring the world. Now, for those who are not seeing them this tour, watching them pass us by - I've heard it so often: "Real U2 fans know the avenues to get at tickets." That usually means hopping around on Craigslist, ticketmaster, eBay, Yahoo groups, forums, and other extra hassles. Well, if being a U2 fan means wasting your entire life campaigning for tickets, then I don't want any of it! Making you jump through all those hoops and perform acrobatic tricks may be some persons' idea of proving your loyalty to the band, but I beg to differ, and you should tell me who is right when you see me on the floor, going off like a rocket, and they're standing there, hugging a rail, because they don't want to take their eyes off that leather jacket :coocoo: :shame:

And then there is the pain. I've read up about this enough on the forum. I don't want any bit more. People who got no chance of being there are getting caught up in the hype, nonetheless. And then you want to be there and then there is the pain of separation :sad: :reject:

II. Cure, Pt.1

I don't envy anyone on this tour, anymore. March 30th, two days after SD1, I went to my friend's - he's got a roomy cellar (looks like the one from Walk On) - played a whole bunch of songs, ourselves (wasn't all U2, either - we played what we wanted), and it ended up more satisfying and more energetic than any concert I could pay for.

Our setlist was also over 3 hours long, so when I looked at U2's nightly, wimpy setlists, I'm not impressed. And the energy output - forget about skipping any scream on ABOY; we're talking quadrupling them, and then some (U2 are pretty soft, after all, so you gotta turn it way up) :combust:

III. Deeper Thoughts

I've already hinted at this, but coming back the next day, my eyes glanced over the news and the hype, and I'm thinking: "not impressive" :yawn: I've already noticed at the concerts I've been to that they are a great place to get loud and emotional the way you just can't, even in your own house, but I'm pretty sure that if people had another outlet for these very basic impulses, all of a sudden the enthusiasm they have for a concert of their favorite performer, is suprisingly diminished.

Now, you'll still see me running around this site and others, looking for tickets. That's because I know it's apples and oranges to compare doing your own show and seeing a U2 show. All I'm saying is that U2 can't give me what my own exertion can. But what I'm talking about gives me enough detachment so I don't hunt tickets like mad and cry my eyes out at night. I just lay it in the lap of the gods, and I shall smile curiously and happily if it falls in.

IV. Cure, Pt.2

Also, another part of this "cure" would be going out to see a small act that you like, when they come around. There you can go crazy :rockon: and, more than likely, have more fun than at a U2 show. (Big acts are usually over-rated; and "intimate" is only a label U2 can slap onto themselves, when, in reality, an arena show is still far from that.) Even better is a local act, whom you can see like every weekend. If you do that, you'll count as one of their hardcore fans, in no time. And no one will question :bump: your fandom if, for example, you're not in the fanclub or subscribed to the magazine or aren't a personality on the forum, 'cause they DON'T have one!

I know the stones don't like to move, but, brothers, friends and fellow country-men, you may open your mind to receive this message :blahblah: :hug:

Good for you mate, good post.

You seem pretty sorted and objective, I like that.

On the point of seeing a smaller act you like, I am seeing Idlewild who, save for U2, are my favourite band ever. Only 6 weeks till than, and believe you me I will fucking RAWK!

MrBrau,

You sound like a foul-mouthed Australian I once knew... but he only cursed for fun, and was such a friendly guy. Hopefully you're just like that, too. Otherwise I could only say, the little words you write are a bigger waste of your time than the many words I have written, if they were a waste of my time, at all.

~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Beli,

I personally live in the southern hemisphere where there are no known tour dates. Wouldnt matter if I bought tickets on ebay.com or where ever, I dont live on that fucking continent.

You should be enjoying this, then, 'cause this is for you.

Matthew Page,

....... a stone, I presume.

Indra,

You're back! How is that transcendental connection to the Church treatin' ya? :up:

People, is it so unrighteous to try to improve something that you think is pretty crooked in at least some people's lives? If I can't get anywhere, I'll go, and you can go back to the ways of life you had before me, and live out your days. I won't waste my energy on moving stones, forever. But, right now, there are still some, I think, who benefit from this.

Palace Hero,

It only takes one person like you for me to feel like this was worth it. For real, you're that brother/friend/fellow I was talking about.

Now, you go and :rockon: :bump: :combust: for us, man! Would be great if we could go to a show together - I don't care who it is - as long as I get to rock with someone who knows how to!

BlueeyedGirl,

Yo! Thanks for the support :hug: I already took note of you, before, with what you said under "IO : Caption This". I think we've got a new species of U2 fan on this forum! I'm thinking basically any day I could leave, 'cause it seems pointless, every day. But then, for the few people that support me, it so rocks to be here.

I think I got a few more good posts in me. With this kind of support, they'll see the light of day.

u2_england
but I have noticed that his overall vocal performances have been a bit 50/50 - but maybe that's down to him recapturing his vocal technique for touring again.
And vocal chords, like car engines, require a bit of idling (and revving) time before they reach full performance
Have you ever tried to sing, u2 england? Well, take my observations; I've got some months' experience, and these are my findings: Just like I stated above, I can do a lot, and I don't find it hard, and I don't practice a lot. I just go when I feel like it. After about ten minutes of warm-up, you're as good as ever. And if you ever get exhausted, wait like two minutes and you're ready to go again. Of course, age plays a role in this, but you still can't slap it on, generally.
I tried to wreck my voice by singing hard, for a couple of days in a row, so I could sing on the last day like Bono did in Sarajevo. It didn't work. I was disappointed.

I want to tell you about what happened this weekend. My friend and I (Rad), well... basically we went to this cool club to make good on our philosophy of supporting local. Yeti were on Cacophony (local metal radio show) and talked about their upcoming show, and, one or two days later, I was like: "Yeah, I'd like to get down to some decent metal. It's been too long since the last concert, and now even without a good place to play, and I wanna scream some and move like I can't anywhere else, and I want to forget about the Vertigo Tour for a bit. Let's go!"
That night, the show turned out more low-key, because the crowd didn't give the proper support. I got into the music, with my brand of head-banging and shuffled back and forth a bit with the music. Looking around a bit, it seems I was the only one among sobbing flowers.
Must have been close to the beginning of Left in Ashes when this kid with the white shirt moved around in my vicinity, slowly, his hands held close to his torso, and gently bumping the people around him to check if they were ready to get something started. When he bumped me, I bumped back, gently. Then he bumped a little more. I bumped more. Next, I bumped him into three people. Next, he bumped me into the wall. Then I was on the wall, and he bumped me into it. But he didn't bump hard, and had I raised my hands, I'm sure he would have left me alone. We proceeded to bump each other all the way across the pit, when he bumped me into the opposite wall. After that, it was just a circus of two.
There were breaks in between, some initiated by him for some strange reason; or when I wanted to catch my breath, I went close to the stage and just gave my support to the band. Really, it was mostly just us two. I also took advantage of the emptiness, though, and allowed myself to run and jump and fist-pump and headbang across that wide space. Was great fun and I got my metal workout for the week.
I know I sound like a metal fan, but for some reason I just want really badly to get into a U2 show in the GA, even though, at the same time, I appear to be bashing that band, going against them. I think it makes sense to anybody who reads my posts and has any sense, at all. I'm not going against U2 - I'm just going against the money-grubbing and discrimination against certain groups of fans.

Back
Top Bottom