Miss Sarajevo in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it will, in cities with lots of shows such as NYC and Toronto.

I would not be surprised in cities with two dates if RTSS was played one night and Miss Sarajevo the other.

But we'll see. If it does vanish, I honestly won't be shocked.

Nah I doubt they will play Miss Sarejvo in the states.. The Americans don't really know where Sarajevo is, although this sort of comment is probably for another forum!

i don't think they'll play it, it's too obscure and wasn't big here at all... that being said, they did play the black cat.....

neutral said:

I don't think we have a forum for weird generalizations, sorry.

HA!

btw, what's this "Africa" Bono is always talking about? is it a town in Ireland or something?

Because of the news surrounding it in the early nineties I think most Americans over a certain age know enough about what was going on in Sarajevo, if not where it is.

I kinda hope not...As awesome as that song is, I've really been hoping to hear Running to Stand Still.

I knew where Sarajevo was when I was four or five (ie, the early 90s)...I always liked the news as a kid.

Anyway, I think matt was joking, judging from another post in FYM. Am I right? :eyebrow:

:D

I still remember the first time I heard Running to Stand Still. Thought it was an incredible song on an incredible album, then I remember U2 playing it for the first time on this tour and I went nuts. I mean, we're all pretty sure RTSS will be on the 3rd leg, so I'm not going to worry.

But I still think it's pretty cool that both songs are on the tour!

I'm just anxious to hear RTSS.

VertigoGal said:
I kinda hope not...As awesome as that song is, I've really been hoping to hear Running to Stand Still.

I knew where Sarajevo was when I was four or five (ie, the early 90s)...I always liked the news as a kid.

Anyway, I think matt was joking, judging from another post in FYM. Am I right? :eyebrow:

:D

Vertigo Gal you got it!
Only having a larf....

It was a slight dig though, but not on a Jick level!

Talking about Sarajevo though what a beautiful place... I remember watching the winter olympics there in '84 on TV when I was just 8 and then visiting there in '98 and seeing every single building covered in bullet holes, was pretty sad, but.... the people are incredible. I remember sitting in a kind of irish pub (well we were drinking Guinness) talking to a Bosnian serb and he pointed over to a table and said last new year ( I was there in April '98) I was sat there talking to Bono and Ali....

Miss Sarajevo > Running To Stand Still.

That said, I think Europe appreciates it much more than the states.

Excuse me, what case is that?

Americans sure do know where Sarajevo is, and what it represents, but unfortunately since the mid to late 90's other worldly events have shifted the focus of a lot of American's sympathies.

Sarajevo was a disaster, but since 'coming back' I am not sure what relevance the song would have to American audiences now that it is 2005 and there is a different breed of enemy attacking our cities.

That is what I mean.

ouizy said:
Excuse me, what case is that?

Americans sure do know where Sarajevo is, and what it represents, but unfortunately since the mid to late 90's other worldly events have shifted the focus of a lot of American's sympathies.

Sarajevo was a disaster, but since 'coming back' I am not sure what relevance the song would have to American audiences now that it is 2005 and there is a different breed of enemy attacking our cities.

That is what I mean.

Ok understood..

Cheers

Actually, the lyrics of Miss Sarajevo can be interpreted many ways, and the song is very much relevant today.

Why should the song have more relevance to an audience in Spain than the one in the USA? They are after all, "fighting the same enemies" are they not?

I'd love to hear it and RTSS and seeing as to how I'll see all 4 shows in Toronto, I feel my chances are good.

Back
Top Bottom