MERGED --> Willie Williams Tour Diary + Willies Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Willie Williams Tour Diary

One of my favorite things about this time of the year (U2 tour time that is) is being able to read Willie Willams' tour diary. It is always fun to read about the stage construction, design, and nightly mishaps along the route of the tour - also all the parties the band goes to.

But this year, unfortunately is different. U2.com has decided to put his idary inside their members only area.

Now - off the bat I will say that I am not a member, and if I am about to complain about this I should just become a member, but in the past few years I have not found all that much on that site that was all that interesting to me.

Since I am not a member I also missed out on all the ticket pre-sales (probably a stupid thing for me to do), but I just did not believe that site was a good way to spend $40.00.

Now I am stuck with the dilemma that I cannot read his diary, and it is too late to buy into the membership for various reasons.

What is a stage-design freak like me to do? I am assuming it is unlawful, or morally incorrect to have a member rip the text off that site to post here somewhere, but I see it happen in the News forum all the time.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post here.

Your friend,

Ouizy

But honestly, I'd be happy to e-mail them to you privately ... if you don't tell anyone, you don't reproduce them for profit, and because I'm a fellow designer geek.

Re: Willie Williams Tour Diary

ouizy said:
I am assuming it is unlawful, or morally incorrect to have a member rip the text off that site to post here somewhere, but I see it happen in the News forum all the time.

In my defense, since I post news all the time, I do NOT post paid articles from U2.com. That is their premium material, and not mine to post for free in the News section. Posting small articles such as opening act items and posting half of their larger (free) articles is no problem, and we've never been contacted about that.

I agree 100% with Ouizy - I love reading Willie's diaries, but am not spending $40 on a website that doesn't quite "do it for me"

Re: Re: Willie Williams Tour Diary

HelloAngel said:

In my defense, since I post news all the time, I do NOT post paid articles from U2.com. That is their premium material, and not mine to post for free in the News section. Posting small articles such as opening act items and posting half of their larger (free) articles is no problem, and we've never been contacted about that.

Oh - no - please do not take offense to what I said - it was not meant to be critical, just that I have seen U2.com stuff here, and to your credit, always with a U2.com credit attached to it.

I feel bad, I really meant nothing by it.

I was really just wondering if it would be plagarism or anything else to copy and paste premium stuff somewhere here.

In any event I would love to see it...

I won`t feel bad for a second posting Willie's diary here. I have no doubts that he wouldn`t mind, he writes that for the fans and it`s always been free before. The only reason they put it in the members-only section now is that they have to find ways to justify that 40$.

oceane said:
I won`t feel bad for a second posting Willie's diary here. I have no doubts that he wouldn`t mind, he writes that for the fans and it`s always been free before. The only reason they put it in the members-only section now is that they have to find ways to justify that 40$.

Willie probably wouldn't mind. But I bet u2.com would. And I'm willing to bet that they're the ones with the copyright on this, so they could stop you. Honestly, I think the tour diary should be free for everyone, but I can't see u2.com putting up with people publicly posting it.

ouizy and OldTimerU2Fan.. Any way to contact you guys? I thought I was the only person in the world 'really' interested in stage and set designs :)

another reason why i don't appreciate u2.com at all, you can see nothing interesting without being a member, why should they do even their site a money-machine?

Last edited:
Neilz said:
ouizy and OldTimerU2Fan.. Any way to contact you guys? I thought I was the only person in the world 'really' interested in stage and set designs :)

Neilz:

I am not entirely comfortable posting my email address here (as it is my work email address) but if you post yours I would be happy to start a conversation. Kind of hypocritical, I know, but I cannot post my address.

Just to let you know, folks, as of two minutes ago, there were still no entries in Willie's Diary. They have a heading for this feature in the Tours section, but Willie hasn't posted anything yet. They say it will be "shortly".

Question for the mods: We regularly cut and paste items from Hotpress magazine here which are available to subscribers only (for example, the entire review of the March 28th show). How would posting Willie's Diary entries be any different?

Willies Diary

feel kinda wrong posting that as a subject lol, anyway, when the hell are they gonna start posting this, 3 shows in and still no sign of it

They said they wanted to give him time to focus on the early shows......I think we'll see the first posts come in after tonight's concert.....

I am bringing this one back - anyone read any posts from him yet - there have to be some...

They posted the first 3 entries a few days ago, and a fourth since then. All are dated between 3/20-23, so it's all rehearsal and set-up stuff.

Back
Top Bottom