MERGED --> why not stadiums in north america? + US/UK Stadiums or arenas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
why not stadiums in north america?

with all the shit the official website has put fans through, wouldn't it appear that there's enough demand for a stadium tour of north america?

take away issues of sound quality and what not, i'm only curious if you believe there's enough demand for it.

i think there is.

Well, it's certainly too late for the first leg, but maybe they will for the Third leg.:shrug:

bear,
they cant sell out stadiums, just because a small but loud group squeals doesnt mean u2 has the needed volume of fans to sell out stadiums.

the complainers are not in proportion w/the regular fanbase, only the loudest.

peace,
db9

Yeah, I hear the Euros complaining about it on this tour but I miss the stadium shows. They may not be able to sell out every US stadium but they could sell them out in most major cities.

Three sold out stadium shows for POPMART New York/New Jersey. Enuff said. They could sell out the stadiums with their current itinerary for Vertigo tour

That's right. And this record is going over far better than POP.

They could easily play single stadium shows in the larger markets.

Europeans might complain about always having stadium shows, but it's sinply very difficult for U2 to find adequate arenas on the continent(not UK) to play in every country and satisfy demand.....so stadiums it is.

That is changing though.

Last edited:
I so do NOT want a stadium tour. The sounds tends to be worse and the odds of having even WORSE seats are greater. I would rather see them do more dates in one city. I do not miss stadium shows. Heck, arena shows aren't even that fun for me. I would love to see U2 play...say the Orpheum in Boston.. or the Universal Amp. in L.A.

A girl can dream, can't she? Perhaps I will catch them at the Bellagio in Vegas in 20 years...

danielle said:
I so do NOT want a stadium tour. The sounds tends to be worse and the odds of having even WORSE seats are greater. I would rather see them do more dates in one city. I do not miss stadium shows. Heck, arena shows aren't even that fun for me. I would love to see U2 play...say the Orpheum in Boston.. or the Universal Amp. in L.A.

A girl can dream, can't she? Perhaps I will catch them at the Bellagio in Vegas in 20 years...

FENWAY

snutes1 said:
Three sold out stadium shows for POPMART New York/New Jersey. Enuff said. They could sell out the stadiums with their current itinerary for Vertigo tour

sadly, this is the truth. ^^

the problem (for us fans) is simple... u2/u2's management are quite happy creating this enormous demand and hype for their tickets and products by playing venues that are too small (creating guaranteed sold out, multiple shows and tons of word-of-mouth)...

danielle said:
The sounds tends to be worse and the odds of having even WORSE seats are greater.

i disagree on both points. ive heard good and bad sound in all types of venues.

and the odds of a "worse seat" are not greater. i dont think that any seat is worse than what i have now.. which is NO seat.

if they were playing stadiums, they wouldnt sell out in one minute, and i would have SOMETHING.

The reason why there's going to be no Stadium shows in North America is a) because of today's prices (an average $90 per ticket for this tour). And even if U2 dropped their average ticket price to $60, they would only be able to fill or sellout shows in around 12 markets:

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (55,000)
Toronto - Skydome (60,000)
Montreal - Olympic Stadium (65,000)...or two shows at Parc De Drapeau (70,000)
Foxboro, MA (Boston area) - Gillette Stadium (100,000...2 shows)...or three shows at Fenway Park (105,000)
New York City/NJ (area) - Giants Stadium (165,000...3 shows)
Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field (65,000)
Landover, MD (Washington, DC area) - FedEx Field (60,000)
Miami - Pro Player Stadium (45,000)
Los Angeles - Dodger Stadium (100,000...2 shows)
Oakland/San Francisco (area) - SBC Park (65,000...2 shows)
Chicago - Soldier Field (135,000...3 shows)

And b) because there's already arena shows on the first leg in most of their largest markets and hence would cut into their overall draw in these areas. If they did do a few Stadium shows on the third leg this year and dropped their ticket prices to an average of $60, then the above markets that already have scheduled arena shows would look like this:

New York City/NJ - Giants Stadium (100,000...2 shows)
Boston - Fenway Park (35-40,000)
Landover, MD (Washington, DC area) - FedEx Field (55,000)
Los Angeles - Dodger Stadium (50,000)
Oakland/San Francisco (area) - SBC Park (35,000)
Chicago - Soldier Field (55,000)

...with the Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego & Philadelphia shows being half full.

Also, today's shows sold out almost exactly as I thought they would, considering the $90 average price (which is basically only an 8% increase from the Elevation tour, minus inflation). The only market that is selling faster than I though it would, is San Diego. But I figured since it's opening night, that many LA and Vegas (epecially since there's no scheduled show there so far) fans will make the trip down to San Diego to see the show.

U2's being very careful not to price themselves out of the market this year...

NoControl said:
The reason why there's going to be no Stadium shows in North America is a) because of today's prices (an average $90 per ticket for this tour). And even if U2 dropped their average ticket price to $60, they would only be able to fill or sellout shows in around 12 markets:

Foxboro, MA (Boston area) - Gillette Stadium (100,000...2 shows)...or three shows at Fenway Park (105,000)

And b) because there's already arena shows on the first leg in most of their largest markets and hence would cut into their overall draw in these areas. If they did do a few Stadium shows on the third leg this year and dropped their ticket prices to an average of $60, then the above markets that already have scheduled arena shows would look like this:

New York City/NJ - Giants Stadium (100,000...2 shows)
Boston - Fenway Park (35-40,000)
Landover, MD (Washington, DC area) - FedEx Field (55,000)
Los Angeles - Dodger Stadium (50,000)
Oakland/San Francisco (area) - SBC Park (35,000)
Chicago - Soldier Field (55,000)

...with the Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego & Philadelphia shows being half full.

Also, today's shows sold out almost exactly as I thought they would, considering the $90 average price (which is basically only an 8% increase from the Elevation tour, minus inflation). The only market that is selling faster than I though it would, is San Diego. But I figured since it's opening night, that many LA and Vegas (epecially since there's no scheduled show there so far) fans will make the trip down to San Diego to see the show.

U2's being very careful not to price themselves out of the market this year...

The band could easily play stadiums in Philly and DC with the level of demand today. There are THOUSANDS of people who tried to get tickets on Saturday for the Philly shows and were unable to.

The May 14th Philly show was soldout at 10:03! No one in line at ticketmaster outlets got any tickets at all for these shows. Die Hard fans that tried almost every route to get tickets, over the phone, internet, or the ticket outlet were unable to get tickets.

The second Philly show was put on sale around 10:25. I was talking to a friend trying to get to a computer as I did not want to trust my luck at an outlet again. I got to a computer at around 10:35 and nothing, all tickets for the second Philly show gone. I did have one friend who got a single seat towards the back of the arena who decided to give that to me because he wants GA. Right now he is thinking over GA prices from brokers that are selling for 300 to 400 dollars.

The Elevation shows soldout quickly for Philly within one hour, but these sellouts were in minutes, even for the second show that had no presale. Out of two dozen friends, all die hard U2 fans, only one was able to get through for a ticket, a single ticket.

These are the fastest sellouts U2 has ever done in their career for Philly. Virtually everyone I know does not have a ticket and are waiting for the third leg. The band would have no problem filling stadiums in both DC and Philly and would possibly have to add second shows.

I've seen first hand what ticket sales have been like in these markets for ZOO TV, POPMART, Elevation and now Vertigo, and Vertigo beats them all as far as the number of people going for tickets and not succeeding in getting any.

Had friends in San Diego, a smaller market trying to get tickets, they tried for the first show and the second show, did everything they could and NOTHING!

People are upset and angry. Most of the people who want to see U2 in these markets still do not have tickets!

STING2 said:
The band could easily play stadiums in Philly and DC with the level of demand today. There are THOUSANDS of people who tried to get tickets on Saturday for the Philly shows and were unable to.

The May 14th Philly show was soldout at 10:03! No one in line at ticketmaster outlets got any tickets at all for these shows. Die Hard fans that tried almost every route to get tickets, over the phone, internet, or the ticket outlet were unable to get tickets.

The second Philly show was put on sale around 10:25. I was talking to a friend trying to get to a computer as I did not want to trust my luck at an outlet again. I got to a computer at around 10:35 and nothing, all tickets for the second Philly show gone. I did have one friend who got a single seat towards the back of the arena who decided to give that to me because he wants GA. Right now he is thinking over GA prices from brokers that are selling for 300 to 400 dollars.

The Elevation shows soldout quickly for Philly within one hour, but these sellouts were in minutes, even for the second show that had no presale. Out of two dozen friends, all die hard U2 fans, only one was able to get through for a ticket, a single ticket.

These are the fastest sellouts U2 has ever done in their career for Philly. Virtually everyone I know does not have a ticket and are waiting for the third leg. The band would have no problem filling stadiums in both DC and Philly and would possibly have to add second shows.

I've seen first hand what ticket sales have been like in these markets for ZOO TV, POPMART, Elevation and now Vertigo, and Vertigo beats them all as far as the number of people going for tickets and not succeeding in getting any.

Had friends in San Diego, a smaller market trying to get tickets, they tried for the first show and the second show, did everything they could and NOTHING!

People are upset and angry. Most of the people who want to see U2 in these markets still do not have tickets!

Well, once again you're stretching the truth. Big surprise. You said a couple of weeks ago, that the Elevation tour shows in Philly (among may other markets) sold out as fast as they could go on sale. Now, it's apparently within one hour.

Also, the only reason why the shows sold out fast (and it wasn't in 3 minutes because there were some fans who logged on minutes later and bought tickets even after the page implied a sellout) is because scalpers apparently have priority of up to 50% of the house. Ticket scalpers are in bed with ticketbastard, who's in bed with CC. Insanity.

If there was demand for a full North American Stadium tour this year, they'd schedule one. But there's not, so they're not.

Just stay out of the states where they know the market is weak like Tenesee and places like that and do stadiums everyplace else even if some people would complain at least they would get tickets...relitively hastle free.

And Paul Mcguinness recently said in an interview that North American hockey arenas are perfect for a rock concert (sound I guess) and that it was too bad they didn't have these in Europe.

I really hope there won't be stadium shows....

NoControl said:
Also, the only reason why the shows sold out fast (and it wasn't in 3 minutes because there were some fans who logged on minutes later and bought tickets even after the page implied a sellout)...

i would assume this happened because of the people who found a loge ticket, but abandoned it in favor of trying for GAs again, or people who were "timed out" for taking too long on the cc screen etc. thus, those tickets are dumped back into the system in 5 minutes.

NoControl said:
..is because scalpers apparently have priority of up to 50% of the house. Ticket scalpers are in bed with ticketbastard, who's in bed with CC.

i would have to see some evidence on that. 50% is a very large #..

NoControl said:

Well, once again you're stretching the truth. Big surprise. You said a couple of weeks ago, that the Elevation tour shows in Philly (among may other markets) sold out as fast as they could go on sale. Now, it's apparently within one hour.

Also, the only reason why the shows sold out fast (and it wasn't in 3 minutes because there were some fans who logged on minutes later and bought tickets even after the page implied a sellout) is because scalpers apparently have priority of up to 50% of the house. Ticket scalpers are in bed with ticketbastard, who's in bed with CC. Insanity.

If there was demand for a full North American Stadium tour this year, they'd schedule one. But there's not, so they're not.

Well, once again, your trying to find a way underestimate the demand that is really present. Big surprise. As for the Philly shows from Elevation, I did not think it was possible sell tickets any faster considering all the options for fans to pick and choose which seats they wanted over the internet. Don't like these seats and where they are located, try again. Get timed out, and your tickets get re-released for sale. Both things happened during those on sale time periods.

The show was soldout at 10:03! I was at a ticketmaster oulet with several dozen fans! NO ONE GOT TICKETS! I could see someone over the internet snagging a few tickets from people who either got timed out or decided they did not like the nosebleeds they got( that is how we snagged ONE ticket for the second show) Unfortunately, letting go of such seats or being timed out this time meant you did not get tickets at all. NOT the case four years ago at all!

Everyone I know who tried over the internet to get tickets for both the first Philly show and the second philly show got NOTHING with the exception of one person! My friends and I have been going to U2 shows in the Philly and DC markets collectively since 1987. Were the the first people in line and on the phone or internet prior to the 10:00 am on sale date. Nothing like this has ever happened before where out of two dozen friends, only 1 ticket was obtained!

I see no evidence that ticket scalpers have a greater number of tickets than they did last time. I've seen the list of tickets available from various brokers and other sites and its the same number and range of seats as four years ago. But I guess I should not be surprised that you would make the claim that the fast sellout was do to scalpers rather than any increase in demand to see U2.

There was demand for a full stadium tour of Europe four years ago for the ELEVATION TOUR but they did not schedule one, so once again, this odd theory that if the band does not do this or that, it means they are unable to do it, is simply rubbish.

The fact is, my friends and I had planned and worked to get everyone in are group to one or two shows in the Philly and DC area's. To do that, we needed a couple of dozen tickets! Two Philly shows are soldout and we only have one ticket, despite making every effort possible to get tickets. This did not happen on Joshua Tree, ZOO TV, POPMART or Elevation! Everyone got to see these shows, no one who prepared for the on sale date of 10:00 am for these past tours failed to get tickets. Now, almost everyone failed to get tickets and were pissed off and disappointed!

When demand is this high for any market, the band should be playing stadiums. I have no confidence that the situation will improve at all for the third leg unless they play stadiums. Many of us planned to go to multipe shows, but if there is a repeat of what happened this past week, it will be impossible.

I could care less about whether they could or could not do a full stadium tour of every market in the USA, I care about the fact that are large group of friends right now is faced with the possibility of not having are big gathering(ritual that has been done every tour since Joshua Tree) for at least one or two U2 shows this year, because so far were not able to get any tickets(with one exception) for shows that are near us. Something that we have been doing for 15 years now, may not be possible if once again we see what happened this past week with any more shows that are put on sale in the DC and Philly area.

STING2 said:
The show was soldout at 10:03! I was at a ticketmaster oulet with several dozen fans! NO ONE GOT TICKETS! I could see someone over the internet snagging a few tickets from people who either got timed out or decided they did not like the nosebleeds they got( that is how we snagged ONE ticket for the second show) Unfortunately, letting go of such seats or being timed out this time meant you did not get tickets at all. NOT the case four years ago at all!

Everyone I know who tried over the internet to get tickets for both the first Philly show and the second philly show got NOTHING with the exception of one person! My friends and I have been going to U2 shows in the Philly and DC markets collectively since 1987. Were the the first people in line and on the phone or internet prior to the 10:00 am on sale date. Nothing like this has ever happened before where out of two dozen friends, only 1 ticket was obtained!

And like I said in my previous post, the reason why many fans didn't get tickets is because ticket brokers/scalpers are in bed with ticketbastard, who are in bed with CC and hence brokers get priority of up to 50% of the house for each show. Which in turn makes it look like there's more demand than there really is.

Originally posted by STING2 I see no evidence that ticket scalpers have a greater number of tickets than they did last time. I've seen the list of tickets available from various brokers and other sites and its the same number and range of seats as four years ago. But I guess I should not be surprised that you would make the claim that the fast sellout was do to scalpers rather than any increase in demand to see U2.

That's not true at all. There's plently more. The back door deals are more sophisticated now than ever.

Originally posted by STING2 There was demand for a full stadium tour of Europe four years ago for the ELEVATION TOUR but they did not schedule one, so once again, this odd theory that if the band does not do this or that, it means they are unable to do it, is simply rubbish.

It's not a theory. And as a result of the underbooked European/UK leg of the Elevation tour, it makes perfect sense that they're playing Stadiums in Europe/UK on this tour. If there was demand for a full Stadium tour here, they'd book one, but they haven't. Plain and simple. U2's a larger draw in Europe/UK, period. And have almost always have been. They'll sell over 1.5 Million tickets this year in Europe/UK for around 30 shows. It'll be more like 1.2 Million tops in North America for twice as many shows.

Originally posted by STING2 This did not happen on Joshua Tree, ZOO TV, POPMART or Elevation! Everyone got to see these shows, no one who prepared for the on sale date of 10:00 am for these past tours failed to get tickets. Now, almost everyone failed to get tickets and were pissed off and disappointed!

The reason why everyone got to see them on the JT & ZOO TV & PopMart tours is because they were primarily in Stadiums or did multiple arena shows. As for the Elevation tour, you yourself said that demand wasn't met here. Now apparently you're agree with me. Interesting.

Also, do you really want us to go around in circles like this? You're following the same old formula of repeating yourself with the majority of posts. You've stated your case. I've stated mine.

Last edited:
Here's a theory:

Most stadiums in the US (save Chicago, Meadolands, Giants Stadium, Pro Player, Qualcomm) have changed a lot in the last ten years.

Look at the new type stadiums in Philly, NE, Seattle, Pittsburgh for example. Lots of seats on the sides, not many seats on the ends. Probably terrible for sound as well as seating. Everyone virtually would have a side view.

Just a theory.

Of course there still are tons of domes and older stadiums. I don't know, just a thought.

NoControl said:

And like I said in my previous post, the reason why many fans didn't get tickets is because ticket brokers/scalpers are in bed with ticketbastard, who are in bed with CC and hence brokers get priority of up to 50% of the house for each show. Which in turn makes it look like there's more demand than there really is.

That's not true at all. There's plently more. The back door deals are more sophisticated now than ever.

It's not a theory. And as a result of the underbooked European/UK leg of the Elevation tour, it makes perfect sense that they're playing Stadiums in Europe/UK on this tour. If there was demand for a full Stadium tour here, they'd book one, but they haven't. Plain and simple. U2's a larger draw in Europe/UK, period. And have almost always have been. They'll sell over 1.5 Million tickets this year in Europe/UK for around 30 shows. It'll be more like 1.2 Million tops in North America for twice as many shows.

The reason why everyone got to see them on the JT & ZOO TV & PopMart tours is because they were primarily in Stadiums or did multiple arena shows. As for the Elevation tour, you yourself said that demand wasn't met here. Now apparently you're agree with me. Interesting.

Also, do you really want us to go around in circles like this? You're following the same old formula of repeating yourself with the majority of posts. You've stated your case. I've stated mine.

What evidence do you have to show anyone here that brokers/scalpers have 50% of all the tickets for all the shows? I bought tickets from brokers on the last tour four years ago and NO the same number of tickets are available, in fact, for some shows there are less tickets available based on what I have seen on these broker websites.

What are the backdoor deals, and how are they more sophisticated than four years ago?

It is indeed a theory, that if artist don't play a show somewhere in a certain venue, it automatically means they are unable to play a show in that venue. U2 could have played stadiums in Europe, and South America on Elevation but they did not. Artist book tours all the time and never play for all the people who want to attend their shows or decide to skip certain regions because of time constraints or a cap the artist or someone else has put on the length of the tour for any number of reasons.

If the band decide to stay in Arena's for the third leg and end up playing a total of 80 shows in North America, the attendance for the year in North America will be 1.4 to 1.5 million.

"The reason why everyone got to see them on the JT & ZOO TV & PopMart tours is because they were primarily in Stadiums or did multiple arena shows. As for the Elevation tour, you yourself said that demand wasn't met here. Now apparently you're agree with me. Interesting."

Well, when ZOO TV tour was first announced, only a first leg was booked all in Arena's. There was only ONE arena show for PHILLY and none in DC on that leg of the tour! WE ALL GOT TICKETS for that one show! Yes it was difficult, but everyone got a ticket and the show was soldout in 20 minutes. Of course, there were about 100 people at the ticket outlet we were at that did not get tickets, but then again they had not planned ahead like we had which we have done for every tour. But now, regardless of any plans and the number of people trying to get tickets various ways, we so far only have ONE ticket for the Vertigo tour.

I don't see where I said I agreed with you about the demand for the Elevation tour. I don't. They did not meet demand for that tour in Philly and DC markets. Those shows in those markets all soldout in under 1 hour. Your not meeting the demand in any given market when you sellout multiple shows in under one hour.

Now, out of two dozen friends who attempted to get tickets for the Philly and DC shows, we have ONE TICKET!

But let me ask you this, do you think we have a chance this year of having at least one show in the DC and Philly area where are entire group is able to get tickets for the same show if they stay in Arena's? I don't. But I hope I am wrong!

Last edited:
I have a theoretical question: in a stadium, how do you meet demand?
Do you keep adding shows until one day you don't have a sell-out?

STING2 said:
What evidence do you have to show anyone here that brokers/scalpers have 50% of all the tickets for all the shows? I bought tickets from brokers on the last tour four years ago and NO the same number of tickets are available, in fact, for some shows there are less tickets available based on what I have seen on these broker websites.

What are the backdoor deals, and how are they more sophisticated than four years ago?

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/reports/scalping/exec_summary.html

Originally posted by STING2 It is indeed a theory, that if artist don't play a show somewhere in a certain venue, it automatically means they are unable to play a show in that venue.

You know you've really got to stop misquoting me. I didn't say that. I'm talking about a specific case regarding U2 here.

Originally posted by STING2 Well, when ZOO TV tour was first announced, only a first leg was booked all in Arena's. There was only ONE arena show for PHILLY and none in DC on that leg of the tour! WE ALL GOT TICKETS for that one show! Yes it was difficult, but everyone got a ticket and the show was soldout in 20 minutes.

The internet wasn't in full swing back then. It makes a huge difference in trying to purchase tickets than compared to without it.

Originally posted by STING2 I don't see where I said I agreed with you about the demand for the Elevation tour. I don't. They did not meet demand for that tour in Philly and DC markets.

You should go back and re-read your own posts. And yes they did meet demand in Philly and DC last tour.

Originally posted by STING2 Those shows in those markets all soldout in under 1 hour. Your not meeting the demand in any given market when you sellout multiple shows in under one hour.

Remember my Prince example?

U2girl said:
I have a theoretical question: in a stadium, how do you meet demand?
Do you keep adding shows until one day you don't have a sell-out?

It's all about mathematics. You'd have to know an artist's touring history with regards to attendance, along with the prices that they've charged. And possibly even how their latest album is doing to determine that.

Btw, the additional shows that were added in LA and San Jose today sold just as I expected them to, to a tee.

NoControl said:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/reports/scalping/exec_summary.html

You know you've really got to stop misquoting me. I didn't say that. I'm talking about a specific case regarding U2 here.

The internet wasn't in full swing back then. It makes a huge difference in trying to purchase tickets than compared to without it.

You should go back and re-read your own posts. And yes they did meet demand in Philly and DC last tour.

Remember my Prince example?

The article you list is from 1999 and would not explain how we were all able to get tickets in 2001 and now almost none of us can in 2005 despite all are efforts.

As for your specific case about U2, if its whether are not they can play a full stadium tour in the USA or not, prior to the release of the new album, I would say they could not. Now that the album has sold more copies in its first 9 weeks in the USA than any U2 album before it and two dozen of my friends have only been able to obtain ONE ticket, I'm starting to think it would be possible because I have never experienced demand at this level for any artist where it was nearly impossible for most people to get tickets despite all the creative plans they had for getting tickets.

McGuinness has already stated that if the number and quality of arena's in Europe was the same as the USA, they would keep that leg indoors as well which to me is just insane. Regardless, if a band decides not to play certain types of venues or tour for a certain length of time, it does not necessarily mean that they are not able to.

At the moment, I really hope they are not able to do a full stadium tour of the USA if they stay in Arena's, because it would mean at some point my friends and I will hopefully get a chance to see them before the tour is over.

"The internet wasn't in full swing back then. It makes a huge difference in trying to purchase tickets than compared to without it."

I was the last person out of all my friends to get internet access and even I purchased tickets for the 2001 Elevation tour over the internet. The internet has been in full swing for years now. You might be able to make an arguement that it was not in full swing back in 1997 for the POPMART tour, but in 2001 most people had been online for many years.

"You should go back and re-read your own posts. And yes they did meet demand in Philly and DC last tour."

I know what I said, but appears you did not read it carefully or have some different interpretation of it. I never said I agreed with you about the level of demand for Elevation.

Your not meeting demand when you sellout as fast as they did on Elevation for the Philly and DC shows.

Remember my response to your Prince "Example"?

They could easily book a few stadium shows in the larger markets.

Mix it like third leg JT. And many fans would go to both an arena show and stadium show in the larger markets.

They can still play stadiums.........just not everywhere.

Alot also depends on if they start adding multiple arena dates first leg. If that happens, then IMHO, they'll stay in arenas in the fall.

Let's look at ZOOTV:

First leg they played 30+ shows in as many markets with no additional shows booked for each market(except for LA and ?). They then came back in late summer for Outside Broadcast and played those same markets with stadium shows to fill the demand not met by single dates in each market(although LA remained amazingingly strong even with multiple arena stands).

If U2 officially starts playing multiple arena stands in alot of markets first leg then IMHO they'll remain in arenas come fall.

Last edited:

I agree with each of these. And they could play Edmonton if Calgary is not booked for an arena third leg. If we hear rumblings of Calgary in the fall, forget it.

Funny enough....I also think they could possibly sell out a stadium show in SLC, Utah at Rice Stadium. I say possibly because the stadium now has added capacity since POPmart brought on by the '02 Winter Olympics.

i think stadium shows are just too expensive in the states...they are not cost efficient...
the question of demand i dont think is so much the issue...now...after the highs of elevation...and the MA$$ive profit made off of that tour...they will probably stay in arenas...

the production cost in an arena is just so much less. less overhead. plus...they can set up camp in one city like chicago for a week...no stage set up/tear down...less people to move every night from city to city...

unless its springsteen in nj setting up giants stadium for 2 weeks...(again low overhead cause they only have to set up and tear down once) i think stadium shows are going to be almost nonexistant in the states...except for the one off radio sponsored festivals.

it sucks but for everyone who didnt get tickets...the 3rd leg might be easier...once brokers chill down and see that they are stuck with trunkloads of overpriced tickets the day of the show they are going to unload them cheap...
the brokers wont be so greedy with the 3rd leg hopefully....
and there will be a LOT more cities that generally dont have the financial status of ny, chicago, la, to shut all the working class fans out.
go to see them in pittsburgh, cleveland, indianapolis, st louis...the poorer midwest states are your best chance...those cities (among others) sold slower on elevation...
just a thought...
hang in there cause if ya didnt score seats on round one...you will get yours...good fans like people here will get to see them this year...it just might take a few more months!

"it's alright, it's alright, alright, soldout in mysterious ways"

They could do stadiums easy. I don't know why there is even a debate about it. Could they play a stadium show in St. Louis? Well of course not, but how hard could it be to pull a Rolling Stones style of tour where there is an arena crew and a stadium crew running around at the same time. I honestly thought they were going to do that will this tour and I'm surprised that they are not.

They have the demand for around 15 shows easy, and thats reason enough to do it.

Last edited:
I think that the biggest reason they won't do stadiums has less to do with demand and more to do with the weather. Chicago. Boston and New York in Oct/Nov don't sound like a lot of fun on Bono's voice...or on the shivering fans...

STING2 said:
The article you list is from 1999 and would not explain how we were all able to get tickets in 2001 and now almost none of us can in 2005 despite all are efforts.

What are you, living under a rock? There's plently of links just like that posted by fans on this site. It's just one example...

Originally posted by STING2 As for your specific case about U2, if its whether are not they can play a full stadium tour in the USA or not, prior to the release of the new album, I would say they could not. Now that the album has sold more copies in its first 9 weeks in the USA than any U2 album before it and two dozen of my friends have only been able to obtain ONE ticket, I'm starting to think it would be possible because I have never experienced demand at this level for any artist where it was nearly impossible for most people to get tickets despite all the creative plans they had for getting tickets.

You've never seen demand like this for any artist? The Stones and Pink Floyd could easily blow U2 out of the water, don't get me started. And every single show (apart from San Diego) that's been put on sale has sold exactly the way I thought it would with the average price they're charging this year. No surprises here.

Bottom line is: U2 could only fill or sellout Stadiums in the majority of markets in North America if their average price was $35-40.

Originally posted by STING2 McGuinness has already stated that if the number and quality of arena's in Europe was the same as the USA, they would keep that leg indoors as well which to me is just insane.

To me that makes sense, since they could charge more money for tickets in arenas. And that's what it's all about.

Originally posted by STING2 At the moment, I really hope they are not able to do a full stadium tour of the USA if they stay in Arena's, because it would mean at some point my friends and I will hopefully get a chance to see them before the tour is over.

U2 will not perform a full Stadium tour in North America ever again, unless prices are drastically reduced.

Originally posted by STING2 I was the last person out of all my friends to get internet access and even I purchased tickets for the 2001 Elevation tour over the internet. The internet has been in full swing for years now. You might be able to make an arguement that it was not in full swing back in 1997 for the POPMART tour, but in 2001 most people had been online for many years.

Yes, but it's more advanced now than compared to then.

Originally posted by STING2 I know what I said, but appears you did not read it carefully or have some different interpretation of it. I never said I agreed with you about the level of demand for Elevation.

Uh, you said that "EVERYONE" who had the oppurtunity to purchase tickets to past U2 arena shows in Philly were able to. Now you say that demand wasn't meet.

Originally posted by STING2 Your not meeting demand when you sellout as fast as they did on Elevation for the Philly and DC shows.

Yeah right. That's why they played a 13,500 seat arena in Baltimore instead of returning nearby to the MCI Center (19,000) DC or why they didn't add a second show at the Wachovia Center in Philly on the third leg in 2001, etc., etc., etc.

Originally posted by STING2 Remember my response to your Prince "Example"?

No. Refresh my memory.

Back
Top Bottom