MERGED-->Why are U2 FANS being treated as SCALPERS?+Presale Prejudice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akhan01

The Fly
Presale Prejudice

I think it's wrong that those of us who used our presale code out of desperation -- to buy two nosebleed seats -- can't again use the code to buy two tickets for the 3rd leg. I know that this applies to a lot of people....

I don't know either.... but I think that since they are playing so many shows at the garden and other cities that weren't on the first leg (allegedly I might add) I think there will be a good chance this time that people will be happy. However, I wish they would give us a new code. That way if there are any seats left after the first day of presale, we still get a chance before anyone else.

Nobody made you use your presale code. How would U2.com be able to rectify that? Give every person who didn't get a GA ticket a code? I'm not sure how they would go about that. They clarfied this time around that having a code for the 3rd leg doesn't guarantee a good ticket either. I used my code and sure, I'd like another code for the 3rd leg but I'm just going to have to take my luck with the general sale....There isn't going to be a way to make every single person happy...:shrug:

Oh, suck it up. Some of us have to wait to see them in the fall and have squat for the shows coming up in a few weeks.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
by announcing the third leg tour dates now and putting them on sale, this also, in turn, will lower the scalper costs for the first leg.

why would someone pay 2000 bucks for a ticket at MSG when there will be 5 to 7 shows at the garden in october?

That's a good point. I'm hoping you are right.

notice the email said to pay attention to which shows are available for the presale. so my guess is they will make other shows available as each presale begins eliminating the possibility of every show for chicago, for example, from selling out in 3 minutes.

btw, good things come to those who wait...

Why are U2 FANS being treated as SCALPERS?

U2.COM are about to blow it again!

While I applaud U2.COM for trying to rectify what happened on the first presale, they are about to blow it again, and maybe worse.

Why do they think all scalpers got their tickets from presale?
Sure, I am sure a few did, but the MAJORITY got them from promoters, Clear Channel, and the venues themselves. THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN for the third leg. Scalpers already have tickets promised to them. The new presale rules won't stop it.

U2.com should give priority, as they promised, to former propaganda members and fans that got locked out of the presale, but NOT exclusive rights to presale.

Those that are locked out paid the full $40 for membership. Propaganda used to let members get tickets for the return leg to the U.S.A., why shouldn't U2.COM?

By the way I WAS a member of Propaganda, but never got my discount. I figured, oh well, I'll just join rather than spend a lot of time trying to get the discount. I never thought I would be discriminated against for this!

The ONLY fair way to do this is:
First Day of Presale: Former Propaganda Members
Second Day: U2.COM Members with an unused code
Third Day: The REST of U2.COM members

I believe other U2.com members should email them with this sugestion. Why are they discriminating against some of their fans? We made a difference obviously when we complained about the first presale.

Let's get this straightened out before it is too late to fix the third presale!

Deb

Re: Why are U2 FANS being treated as SCALPERS?

TheFly2U said:
The ONLY fair way to do this is:
First Day of Presale: Former Propaganda Members
Second Day: U2.COM Members with an unused code
Third Day: The REST of U2.COM members

Isn't that almost what they are doing? A presale lasting three days, day 1 only for Prop members? (And it seems that as you paid for one code and used it on the first leg, you don't get another as you only paid for ONE code, so that leaves out the suggested day three for those who had already used their code.)

Right, So why can't day three be opened up to those who already used their code?

My point is, U2.COM said they will give PRIORITY to the Propagada members, and those that didn't use their code. They are doing more than that, they are giving presale ONLY to them.

If Day Three were open to all U2.COM members, they would be doing as they promised, giving priority to the Propagada members, and those that didn't use their code.

TheFly2U said:
Right, So why can't day three be opened up to those who already used their code?will give PRIORITY to the Propagada members, and those that didn't use their code. They are doing more than that, they are giving presale ONLY to them.
No. Under the revised system former Prop members get to use their code twice. Non-Prop members get to use their code once so it comes down to this:

1) Prop members who have not used their code get to buy two sets of two tickets for the 3rd leg.

2) Prop members who already used their code get to buy one set of 3rd leg tickets.

3) Non-Prop members who have not used their code get to buy one set of 3rd leg tickets.

4) Non-Prop members who have already used their code are done. They got to buy one set of pre-sale tickets and they have already done so.

You fall into category 4. You were not excluded from the pre-sale. You already bought your one set of tickets. If you had not used your code then you would be able to get one set of 3rd leg tickets starting on day 2. Either way it still works out to a maximum of one set of two tickets. Look at it this way: for the first pre-sale you got to participate right from the beginning. This time non-Prop members will have to wait a day. I really don't know why you're complaining. The only thing that has changed is that Prop members get to buy two sets of tickets for the 3rd leg and they get to buy them one day in advance of the other members. This change did not affect you, as a non-Prop member who has used your code, at all.

It wouldn't matter anyway...by the end of the 2nd day all the tickets will be gone...

starsgoblue said:
Nobody made you use your presale code. How would U2.com be able to rectify that? Give every person who didn't get a GA ticket a code? I'm not sure how they would go about that. They clarfied this time around that having a code for the 3rd leg doesn't guarantee a good ticket either. I used my code and sure, I'd like another code for the 3rd leg but I'm just going to have to take my luck with the general sale....There isn't going to be a way to make every single person happy...:shrug:

Well said.

No. Under the revised system former Prop members get to use their code twice. Non-Prop members get to use their code once so it comes down to this:

1) Prop members who have not used their code get to buy two sets of two tickets for the 3rd leg.

2) Prop members who already used their code get to buy one set of 3rd leg tickets.

3) Non-Prop members who have not used their code get to buy one set of 3rd leg tickets.

4) Non-Prop members who have already used their code are done. They got to buy one set of pre-sale tickets and they have already done so.

You fall into category 4.

Well I was a Prop member, I just never got my discount code. This whole thing motivated my to pick up the phone all call FanFire. They had me on their list, but with my old address. So now I AM recognized as a former Propaganda member. I WILL get my code reinstated for Day one. I just got bumped myself up to category 1.

But I still think the rules should change to open day three to the rest of U2.COM members.

Call me stubborn......

starsgoblue said:
Nobody made you use your presale code.

Exactly. Everyone I know who got codes still has them. :shrug:

This whole tour thing is really bringing out the worst in a lot of us. Everything is my, my, mine, I. Just be glad you have A ticket, ok? Or better yet, be glad you don't have to travel to another continent if you want to see the band.

Exactly what Headache said! :up:

If all the shows have tickets out before the first show begins, then ebay/scalper prices are going to drop. At some point the supply is going to catch up to the demand.

I applaud u2.com's plan. It is the safest way to elimate the most brokers from the 3rd leg presale. This is the bottom line.

And a ONE day former-propaganda member ONLY presale. Why didn't they come up with this the first time? When I joined U2.com I was lead to believe that this is exactly how it was going to be from the start. I can't complain though. I am very happy that they made this decision. This is all unfolding beautifully for me. Somehow the stress isn't there for this new presale. I have to deal with former Prop members in my area for tickets. There will not be a lot of them. As well, some people are going to experience a money crunch for this presale/general sale.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zootomic

Prop members who already used their code get to buy one set of 3rd leg tickets.
Non-Prop members who have already used their code are done. They got to buy one set of pre-sale tickets and they have already done so.
This change did not affect you, at all

Wanna bet???? I think you need to "re-phrase" your statement!!
It sure does, this isn't fair, either!!! Because we still want to see them on the 3rd leg too (if possible) and now, people who are NOT Prop members (I'm referring to us U2.com members) have to see if they can get tickets through TM, or "general sale" instead of this pre-sale!! This is like the same situation for us all over again.. (with the 1st pre-sale....trying to beat the "scalpers" in getting GOOD seats...) Plus the Prop members who already USED their codes, are STILL able to "get in" on this pre-sale again, while U2.com members who USED their codes, are NOT able!!! How fair is this!!
Now supposedly...Prop members "ONLY COMPETE"with other Prop members for 3rd leg tickets...they DON'T compete with everyone else..including the scalpers, like U2.com members did.. during the first pre-sale!!! So, it seems their chance to get
good seats... is now a better opportunity than we had!!!
I think this STINKS!! :madspit: They're "favoring" Prop members
way more than U2.com members, (and I'm talking about U2.com members that have been members for a while, not ones that joined U2.com for the advantage of pre-sale tickets.) Either way
you look at this situation.. U2 and their organization is not "fixing the problem".. they're only "adding more discrimination" to the
"long-time" fans, who are not Prop members... I "rest" my case!!!

MsMofoGone said:
They're "favoring" Prop members way more than U2.com members, (and I'm talking about U2.com members that have been members for a while, not ones that joined U2.com for the advantage of pre-sale tickets.) Either way you look at this situation.. U2 and their organization is not "fixing the problem".. they're only "adding more discrimination" to the
"long-time" fans, who are not Prop members...
You got it exactly. They are favoring Prop members over fans who never joined Prop.

I've been a fan since 1981 but I didn't join Prop until 1996 because I didn't know until I got online that year that Prop members got ticketing priority. So for all those years other fans who may not have been fans for as long as me got favored ticketing just because they joined Prop. Was that fair? No, not really but that's how U2 did it. And this is how they are doing it now. It's not discrimination. It's just the way they have come up with to try and thwart scalpers.

Zootomic said:

You got it exactly. They are favoring Prop members over fans who never joined Prop.

I've been a fan since 1981 but I didn't join Prop until 1996 because I didn't know until I got online that year that Prop members got ticketing priority. So for all those years other fans who may not have been fans for as long as me got favored ticketing just because they joined Prop. Was that fair? No, not really but that's how U2 did it. And this is how they are doing it now. It's not discrimination. It's just the way they have come up with to try and thwart scalpers.

OK...well, how about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's use "PENALIZED" instead of "DISCRIMINIZED" then...
I can see them wanting to STOP the scalpers from taking the
tickets from their "long-time" fans... but I still say this isn't right!!!
I'm being "penalized" for being a "long-time" fan ( since 1983 )
who is a U2.com member, instead of a Prop member...
It's like U2 and the organization thinks Prop members are the only true "devoted" fans....like U2.com members aren't???
Give a break!!! This whole pre-sale mess has made me so-ooo
angry with U2 and the organization..( and it's hard for me to admit
that....because I am one of the "long-time" devoted fans. )
I admit it now....because they are NOT doing anything further to rectify this situation for U2.com members, who are important too.
But...like enough said, already!!
To clear this up, Prop members GET the justice, they deserve!!
U2.com members get Larry's "two " words!!!
And we DON'T deserve that!! Try and Go figure!!!!! :scratch:

MsMofoGone said:
I'm being "penalized" for being a "long-time" fan ( since 1983 )
who is a U2.com member, instead of a Prop member...
If you've been a fan since 1983 and never joined Prop then, according to your logic, you have been "penalized" every tour since then because Prop members have always gotten ticketing priority. By deciding to give Prop members priority for this pre-sale U2 has just gone back to doing what they've been doing for previous tours. This is not new for them so why are you so mad about it now?

Zootomic said:

If you've been a fan since 1983 and never joined Prop then, according to your logic, you have been "penalized" every tour since then because Prop members have always gotten ticketing priority. By deciding to give Prop members priority for this pre-sale U2 has just gone back to doing what they've been doing for previous tours. This is not new for them so why are you so mad about it now?

I never knew about Propaganda before (roughly) 1990....
and didn't ever consider joining, because I wasn't interested
in a U2 magazine subscription....( that's what Propaganda is??...
Correct?? ) I also never knew about Prop's ticketing priority.....
I joined U2.com in 1999 and never took advantage of a pre-sale
until now... So, although, this priority isn't "new" for U2 Prop
members....it is for me...and I think us U2.com members are now
getting the shaft...that's why I'm angry!! :mad:
Like I said....U2.com members...are "getting" Larry's two words!!!

Back
Top Bottom