MERGED-->Why are U2 FANS being treated as SCALPERS?+Presale Prejudice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think former Prop members should have any priority over fans who joined the "U2 family" after ATYCLB, when Prop was cancelled. Just because you are 20 years older than me you get ticketing priority? Bullshit.

Lancemc said:
I don't think former Prop members should have any priority over fans who joined the "U2 family" after ATYCLB, when Prop was cancelled. Just because you are 20 years older than me you get ticketing priority? Bullshit.
Keep in mind that the band is also 20 years older than you.

If it hadn't been for all the older, long-time fans who supported U2 back in the beginning when they weren't already the biggest band in the world then they may not have ever made it to the top and wouldn't be about to set out on another tour.

So mind your manners youngster!

Roland of Gilead said:
When you joined U2.com in '99, you never took part in the free u2.com presale? Just asking.

Nope....I guess I'm somewhat new to this!!!!
I never knew about the pre-sale ...even being a U2.com member!!
I never saw the tour info page link or got updates from
U2.com, regarding a "pre-sale" going on... I think my computer
was partly-to-blame for this, because I always had problems
trying to access some of their site information. I bought a new computer in early 2002... got rid of AOL, and now use a different
internet provider. So...my results are alot better now!!!

So....just because I didn't take advantage of the past U2.com
pre-sales... and want to do so now... I'm still "penalized" for this!
I wish I would have become a Prop member from before when I
was not interested in doing so...
Because now....I hate being a U2.com member...because it doesn't mean CRAP to U2 or their organization!!!!
What do the "long-time" U2.com members need to do to get
their justice??? Sorry, but Larry's two words are NOT it!!!

I don't disagree with former Prop members having priority, the problem is that many people like myself WERE Prop members but just couldn't renew our membership (since Prop was discontinued).

I think there could have been a way for them to check for people who were members up to the last issue or close to. I don't think I should have gotten a discount on the U2.com membership, but at least the same shot at tickets. Now I 'm worried nothing good will be left on Wednesday, and it's too bad since I had been with Prop since 1998.

That being said I'm not angry or bitter, it's impossible to satisfy everybody while stoping the scalpers. They're doing what they can I guess.

The Lucky Get Rewarded

nobody made me use my presale code? are you kidding me? scrambling for the opportunity to buy ANY SEAT I COULD FIND, i bought two nosebleed seats using my presale code. this was a predicament no u2.com member really anticipated. i had no idea i could save my presale code and use it for the third leg. had i known the steps taken by U2 to rectify the presale system, i'd have obviously not used my code. it seems to me that those who were lucky enough not to use their code are reaping a substantial benefit for 3rd leg tickets. those who honestly thought that nosebleeds are all that they could get -- a large group of people, i'm sure -- are now stuck with their purchase. not cool.

So I am going to butt in here again.
In my first post that got merged with this thread, I suggested an alternative:
First day of presale: Propaganda members
Second Day: U2.COM members with unused codes
Third Day: U2.COM members who used their code.

I am saying this as a (newly recognized) prop member who will get in on the first day of presales, so this doesn't benefit me anymore (I called in this am and got my membership straightened out).

I think this would do as Larry and U2.COM promised. Give PRIORITY to Prop members, and those with unused code.
It will also acknowledge the remainder of U2.COM members that are being left out in the cold for presales by not excluding them.

Re: The Lucky Get Rewarded

akhan01 said:
i had no idea i could save my presale code and use it for the third leg.
C'mon. It was made clear that if you didn't use your code during the first pre-sale that you could use it for the next one. You're right that nobody knew at the time that they were going to revamp the procedure but making claims that you didn't know you could save your code and use it for the 3rd leg is ridiculous.

TheFly2U said:

I am all for it, but it doesn't address the problem that needs to be addressed. Scalpers/Brokers need to be dealt with. For now, and unfortunately, this "third day" can't happen for eveyone at u2.com.

Just wait till you see what they do for the next tour. I predict -

Day one - Prop members.
Day two - First 50,000 u2.com members (or some magical number that will have to be determined)
Day three - Every other u2.com member.

TheFly2U said:
So I am going to butt in here again.
In my first post that got merged with this thread, I suggested an alternative:

I think this would do as Larry and U2.COM promised. Give PRIORITY to Prop members, and those with unused code.
It will also acknowledge the remainder of U2.COM members that are being left out in the cold for presales by not excluding them.

That first day of pre-sale ( on your suggestion ) ........

Is that for Prop members who "DID NOT" use their code???
Or for Prop members who "ALREADY DID" use their code????
Or are you referring to both kinds of Prop members together??

Lancemc said:

There is no other way to make the system usable given the number of subscribers.

Pearl Jam has a similar system where older fans (in order of joining the fan club) get first priority.

Also, let's not forget that there are plenty of people who joined Prop for good money and didn't get a single issue, or tickets or anything. If this is some way for compensating them, fine by me.

I think recognizing and rewarding longevity in the fan club is a good thing. For one thing, it cuts down on scalpers (and others) from only signing up during a tour period, because these last-minuters go to the end of the line. Rewarding longevity encourages people to stay in the fanclub during the years when the band isn't touring (so the band makes more $$). It also makes sense to treat your longterm fanbase well.

There is a way that longevity can be recognized, but "newer" fanclub members can still get a shot at good tickets. Go to the DMB website and check out their ticketing system (I tried posting the link but this site wouldn't allow it to go through).

I'm not a DMB fan so can't vouch for how this works, but it on its face it appears to be a fair system, and it acknowledges longtime fans but also gives newbies a shot.

starsgoblue said:
Nobody made you use your presale code. How would U2.com be able to rectify that? Give every person who didn't get a GA ticket a code? I'm not sure how they would go about that. They clarfied this time around that having a code for the 3rd leg doesn't guarantee a good ticket either. I used my code and sure, I'd like another code for the 3rd leg but I'm just going to have to take my luck with the general sale....There isn't going to be a way to make every single person happy...:shrug:

what she said.

CTU2fan said:
It wouldn't matter anyway...by the end of the 2nd day all the tickets will be gone...

There aren't that many Prop members, and they're dispersed all around the world ...

Re: The Lucky Get Rewarded

Once again, you panicked. Your vocabulary choice of "scrambling"shows it. I told you already about my situation so I'm not going to get into that again... U2.com did reach through the monitor and force you to use your presale code, I don't really see how you can chalk it up to anything other than the fact that you got frantic and grabbed what you could. And I remember, there was at least a couple threads going before the presale with people discussing whether or not the code could be used for the 3rd leg instead of the 1st so if you honestly didn't think that was the case then you, as the consumer, made a poor choice.

akhan01 said:
nobody made me use my presale code? are you kidding me? scrambling for the opportunity to buy ANY SEAT I COULD FIND, i bought two nosebleed seats using my presale code. this was a predicament no u2.com member really anticipated. i had no idea i could save my presale code and use it for the third leg. had i known the steps taken by U2 to rectify the presale system, i'd have obviously not used my code. it seems to me that those who were lucky enough not to use their code are reaping a substantial benefit for 3rd leg tickets. those who honestly thought that nosebleeds are all that they could get -- a large group of people, i'm sure -- are now stuck with their purchase. not cool.

Re: Re: The Lucky Get Rewarded

Starsgoblue - This isn't at all related to this forum but I have a question to ask you and I don't want to post it. Would you mind if I emailed you? Or you can email me.

I know you don't know me but I think you might be interested.

Last edited:
Well, I feel for the U2.com members who used their codes and aren't Prop members. I wish there was a way for them to get in on the presale too. Like some, I grabbed what I could in the 1st leg presale because I didn't want to get shut out completely. Luckily I'm a Prop member and will get a another chance to get tickets in the 3rd leg presale.

I think it's fair that Prop members get this advantage. I always managed to set aside the money for my Prop subscription and renewed whether U2 was touring or not. Been a dedicated fan for over 20 years and a Prop member since 1992. U2 is only making good on what was originally promised to Prop members, ticketing priority for the upcoming tour. That's what we were told in an email, that we would have the first shot at tickets.

To the young person who said that it was bullsh*t :tsk: that somebody like me gets priority, it's called taking care of the people who have taken care of you. You mean to tell me that if you had a longtime loyal friend, someone who supported you through thick and thin, that you wouldn't make special allowances for them or do things for them that you might not do for someone else? That's all U2 is doing and has done for a long time. And it happens everyday in all kinds of areas, from business to government to grade school playgrounds. I remember wanting to see the Rolling Stones in the early 80's, but I couldn't afford the tickets (not that my dad would have let me go if I had). But you better believe alot of their long-time fans from the 60's and 70's could. So they went to the show, and I didn't. I thought it was so unfair. Similar thing happened for U2's Joshua Tree tour. Now it's my turn. Eventually, it will be your turn. It may not be for a concert, but just remember this 20 years from now when someone younger than you whines about things being so unfair. It's like what Kathy Bates said in the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" after she rammed the car of the two young girls who stole her parking spot.

"Face it girls, I'm older and have better insurance."

Welcome to the U2 family Lancemc, but face it, I've been here longer and paid my dues. :wink:

TheFly2U said:

Well I was a Prop member, I just never got my discount code. This whole thing motivated my to pick up the phone all call FanFire. They had me on their list, but with my old address. So now I AM recognized as a former Propaganda member. I WILL get my code reinstated for Day one. I just got bumped myself up to category 1.

But I still think the rules should change to open day three to the rest of U2.COM members.

Call me stubborn......

TheFly2U,

What number did you call for Fanfire? One of the general numbers I suppose. Did you have to speak with a manager? When did you call? I would've called on Sat. but didn't think they'd be available.
Any details you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to get Fanfire to correct my Prop status since the beginning.

I was charged the $20 'discount' but they have never given me my Prop code.

Thanks!

dd13@sbcglobal.net

starsgoblue said:
Stars - Sorry for the confusion. I had posted asking how to send a PM because I never had before but then I figured it out so I changed my post to 'never mind'!

Back
Top Bottom