MERGED->What is wrong with Vertigo 2005?+Bono's singing. hmmm+Bono, your killing me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
What is wrong with Vertigo 2005??

when you go to u2 tours.com and read the reviews, there are ALOT of negative reviews about this tour. All saying basically the same thing: the band arent really that into it, it lacks heart & soul, the new Streets intro sucks...

I know some people do like to winge but, I just feel with all these people saying this, something must be wrong.

Im getting scared...

There's stacks of happy fans. It's just the nature of complaints: people with a gripe naturally make more noise about it.

I know...but if you read the Elevation reviews, there is no where near as many complaints. It just worries me, you know?

I tell all my friends about how good U2 are live, I really want them to be impressed!

well a lot of people didnt like the whole pop and popmart theme

they also played stadiums for pop, and a lot of them didnt sell out

for elevation they returned to smaller venues, all sold out, and a "return to classic U2" type record that they were pushing

so i think people just got extra giddy about the elevation tour

i think it's a great show. i enjoyed elevation, but... ehh, i like the extra's of this tour. there is some cool stuff going on, and it's evolving (the effects more then the music).
my only complaint, bono can be a bit much. mix up the antics and stories. they seemed so... contrived. But, it's a show (1 show repeated for the most part), so i shouldn't be critical since i've gone to 12. And he loves every frikin' city. "i love (fill in your city)" I'd like to here him say, "new jersey really smells." no offense NJ, you just happen to be next.

Tours usually start off slowly. Now that people are getting a better idea of what to expect, regarding both the usual setlists and the new playing of Streets, I suspect that some people's attitudes may change.

That said, we're getting a great mix of songs this tour. Some from the new album, the usual classics, and some golden oldies. What more could you ask for? What more would you possibly expect?

martha said:
Vertigo doesn't suck. Nothing's wrong. The negative review writers wouldn't be happy with Jesus as a dinner guest. Relax.

Your friends will need new socks.

Exactly.

I spent a week in Chicago to see all 4 shows there, and I had the time of my life. The band is on fire. It's a tremendous show. I don't get how you could be disappointed.

I think peoples expectations are just too high sometimes, I know mine were. U2 will never be as good as they were during the UF - ZooTV era, but they still put on an amazing show, hence the reason why they are still after all these years Rocks Hottest Ticket.
Vertigo, in my opinion is already way better than Elevation, it has a great mix of songs so far and is supporting a better album. Its also quite evident as the tour is progressing they are ramping up the stage visuals as well.
People are often quoted that a U2 concert is like a religious experience, and when you come back and all you have seen is a good rock show, it can be kinda dissapointing. From what I have read, most new fans are mesmerised with Vertigo, and long time fans should realise that what U2 are presenting is Vertigo, don't expect to see JT, Lovetown, ZooTV or Pop.

I wonder if they'll change the Streets intro back on the 2nd leg. It really seems a shame to mess with something so special as that. Its the high point not only in a U2 show, but also live music in general.

The negative review writers wouldn't be happy with Jesus as a dinner guest.

:lol:

Way back when, I used to accompany a church choir, and one of the altos once said, "Jesus himself could come down and conduct this choir, and they'd still bitch about it."

bono_man said:
I wonder if they'll change the Streets intro back on the 2nd leg. It really seems a shame to mess with something so special as that. Its the high point not only in a U2 show, but also live music in general.

I felt the same way until I saw it live, I really enjoy it now.

However, if I had a choice, I would like the red background as well.

bono_man said:

Doubt it. Then everyone would complain that they're repeating themselves.

U2 continues to put on great shows, but I can notice subtle differences in the tours of past. Bono seems to have less energy than he has had in the past. Its not his fault, he's getting older. His voice has declined over the years, but suprisingly it hasn't really changed since Popmart. The setlist makes some people ecstatic while others are pissed, oh well - can't make everyone happy - hearing Gloria live pretty much made my year...

My only real complaint and observation about this tour is the dissapointing sound quality. There is something wrong with the sound system, lots of distortion, lacking bass and clarity. Its too bad, it could be fixed fairly easily. Maybe they've got a new PA rig waiting for them on the next leg... Lets hope so.

the olive said:
U2 continues to put on great shows, but I can notice subtle differences in the tours of past. Bono seems to have less energy than he has had in the past. Its not his fault, he's getting older. His voice has declined over the years, but suprisingly it hasn't really changed since Popmart. The setlist makes some people ecstatic while others are pissed, oh well - can't make everyone happy - hearing Gloria live pretty much made my year...

My only real complaint and observation about this tour is the dissapointing sound quality. There is something wrong with the sound system, lots of distortion, lacking bass and clarity. Its too bad, it could be fixed fairly easily. Maybe they've got a new PA rig waiting for them on the next leg... Lets hope so.

I can't say I entirely agree with you. I saw all 4 Chicago shows last week, and the band as a whole (especially Bono) was far more energetic than I remember from the Elevation tour. I watched Bono from the front of the eclipse (twice), and he was moving around like crazy, jumping up and down, kicking cameras, leaning out into the crowd, and simply being Bono the whole time. I was actually really surprised (as were the people I was with) that he had so much energy, especially by the 4th night. As for his voice, it's far better than Popmart or Elevation. He has a much larger range now than he did during Elevation, and especially during Popmart. The clarity to his voice has definitely returned, and he's able to sing in a higher key than he has in quite a while (as far as I'm aware).

Basically, I think they've improved in those two areas, not declined.

As for the sound problems, I agree, those need to be addressed. They always seem to be resolved by the 2nd night in a venue, but I don't get why it's suddenly such a problem to have them 100% on opening night in a venue as well.

Whats wrong with Vertigo in my opinion nothing...
Its only us the fans who find things wrong with it for whatever reason?...i guess its the old thing that we are never happy and always wanting more...
I love The Vertigo Tour just the way it is...and wouldn't want to change it. :)

i don't know if there is anything "wrong" with this tour. i love the audio for the shows-- they sound really good.
i found the video to be okay but it didn't seem to have the same energy as some previous tours' videos BUT no one is as young as they used to be. being there is always better than a video.

I'm not sure if there's anything "wrong" with the Vertigo Tour. I love the energy(I was seriously exhausted after Chicago 2 and 3), but what I really miss is the heart and soul of the Elevation Tour. I think a lot of people miss that.

I remember Bono saying during the elevation tour that U2 was doing "open heart surgery" on the crowd every night, which was the truth. I remember listening to songs like Kite, Stay, In a Little While and One made me feel like my guts were ripped out. I just didn't feel that "soul" at the Vertigo shows I went to. Even "One" seemed a bit hollow compared to the way it was performed in the past. It was more of a full on rock and roll show, which is great. I do miss the "open heart surgery" a bit though. I wasn't disappointed in the shows I was at a bit though! Like i said, I was completely exhausted by the end of the show on both nights...I think if there wouldn't have been the few slow songs in the set I would have passed out from jumping around so much and I'm in good shape!

I think on paper it looks great when you see the songs they're playing. But I thought the Elevation tour had a better flow to it and there was an intense passion every night. The Vertigo tour seems to be more of a scattershoot of songs. I also could do without the costume changes.

I think it does boil down to exactly the songs they are playing (or not playing). I could watch them play Electric Co. for 3 hours straight...and love every second of it. An Cat Dubh...more the merrier.

I am not a normal U2 fan. None of us are.

Most don't get the connection between new and old, most don't know the words to Gloria. Nothing wrong with lwanting to hear Beautiful Day as much as I want to hear Acrobat...just different fans. There is a definite connection that doesn't happen because these songs are not Kite, they are not Until the End of the World. Phenomenal songs, but not "open heart surgery" or blistering essential U2 canon of tours past.

The streets thing is a big thing for me. I love the song, but it has lost that emotional recklessness that it had. I have seen it performed five times this tour, and I haven't detached yet. I cried (I am a 6'2", 220lb man) every single time I heard it before. Every time. It hasn't come close to getting me yet.

This is a rock SHOW, with the emphasis on show. This is not U2 praying for the soul of a post-September 11th America. There is a million things different, and all valid to be discussed.

There is a marked difference between this tour and the other U2 tours I have seen as a group. Not in style, presentation, but in soul...as was mentioned before. The goal is not soul anymore, or at least immediately so.

Forgive those that are seeking the truth about their feelings, and temper the over-active sense of defense of our band. Come to your own conclusions about this band and where they are going. Many will be converted, but many will wander away. I anxiously await their return from Europe, to continue on my U2 journey.

In conclusion, I think its the setlist and the ellipse. Not necessarily the lottery, or anything else. The heart was so fundamental to the Elevation experience, that what happens now is a shadow of what it was and an attempt to recapture the magic. Lightning rarely strikes twice. There was a community formed by the GA experience last tour that cannot be under appreciated. A sort of brotherhood of comraderie for a shared experience heightened by a gift of being 10 feet from the band for 45 bucks. We all left it behind.

Nothing is wrong with this tour. It is different. Is it better? well that will be for us to decide in a few months after Europe has had a shot.

Last edited:
Nothing other than I think the setlist is too short but I’ve always thought so but that subject has been run into the ground already. I don’t think the band or some folks in GA could handle more than 2 hours anyway. Hint: People in GA lay off the booze and drink plenty of WATER.

Nothing is wrong. The negative reviews from U2tours.com are far from objective. They are written by men who had been to 20+ shows who have expectations so high they expect the Second Coming.

The only thing "wrong" with the Vertigo tour is that it inevitably is going to go head to head with U2's previous tours and sadly, the comparison isn't a good one for Vertigo.

The fact is U2 is touring behind a AOR adult-contemporary made-for-radio soccer-mom friendly mid-tempo middle-age mass consumer album. The music on HTDAAB is capable and competent, but the U2 of 1980-1998 wouldn't have put out product that was merely capable and competent, it also had to be CHALLENGING and expanding the band's own BOUNDARIES. The worse offender on HTDAAB is the trite cliche and deliberately vague lyrics that read as if Bono wrote them in about 2 weeks time.

So when you have a show bogged down with 7 or 8 tunes like this, the pace/energy invariably lags (need proof? witness the "Beer Rush" during Miracle Drug). The decision to include some real oldies I very much enjoy, but the "warhorses" portion of the set (Bullet/Pride/SBS/and amazingly even Streets) are all very tired and don't have anything on their previous incarnations this go around. Listen to the Bullet on the Stay single for what Bullet sounded like when it MEANT something. Watch UABRS again at Red Rocks when SBS wasn't just a sing-along. Any incarnation of the incomparable Streets was THE high point of a U2 show, I was shocked how limp the Vertigo version is. If the band is going to put absolutely no effort into these songs, they should just put them out of their misery and retire them.

The heavy-handed preachiness and awkward "United Nations"/cell phone crap further undermines the band and that whole segment is contrived and appears self-serving.

Thankfully, last Thursday after all the above U2 came out for encores and absolutely ROCKED and played like they CARED (Zoo set, WOWY, epic version of BAD) that totally salvaged the show for this viewer.

I was at Slane, I have seen the band countless times in many venues, and yeah you're darn right I have SUPER HIGH expectations every time U2 takes the stage. They didn't fully meet those expectations, and I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. I hold U2 to a very high standard - a standard they themselves have set.

Vertigo simply doesn't meet those standards. Does it mean its a bad show or one not worth seeing? Absolutely not. But are we on the slippery slope toward the Rolling Stones, part II??? I fear very much we are.

martha said:
^ Can I have your tickets?

You don't get it. The problem is that some of us have already paid big bucks for the tickets, and were totally pumped for the show - only to be disappointed by it all.

I'd give you my tickets, but it's too late now.

C'mon U2 - you can do better!!!!!

Precisely...they can do better because they HAVE done better.

And when you're charging $100/ticket, "it's still pretty good" doesn't cut it.

Recall the Edge pre ZooTV show saying "the only thing we're interested in is people saying this is the BEST CONCERT they've ever seen"

Tis a pity that is no longer the stated goal.

Who's to say that there aren't people out there who've attended a Vertigo show and thought that yes, it was the best concert they've ever seen?

Not all of U2's fans are sitting around online wishing the band would play "Wire" or saying, "Gee, I don't know. It was all right I guess, but Bono just doesn't have the energy he did on the Popmart tour."

We nutty, obsessive-type folk are in a small minority, I would guess.

corianderstem said:

We nutty, obsessive-type folk are in a small minority, I would guess.
When you target the middle you're going to lose some of the top scale. That's what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom