MERGED->What is wrong with Vertigo 2005?+Bono's singing. hmmm+Bono, your killing me - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Oops you replied quicker than I can type joyful LOL

Sorry - didn't mean it to sound like a leterary lecture.

It's okay. I did read the book like 25 years ago, lol...

I'm all for dissent. I am all for people airing their criticisms about the tour. I have no problem with that at all. But obviously it was the other part of his post that bugged me. I read a double reference for '1984'. He was at first talking about Orwellian 1984 and then segued into kick-ass U2 shows of that era. But it's hardly worth talking about now, lol.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RobH

So it goes back to the old love'em or leave 'em thoery eh. There's no in between in that world I guess. Shut up and love them or give me your tickets. Write positive reviews, or none at all. They've changed for the better--you're stuck in your old ways and you must suck.

Yeah, that's the type of forum I'm looking for.
No, that's not it at all. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this constant harping that the band isn't what it used to be gets so old. It's ok to be disappointed about the album, the tour, whatever. But to say they should be what they were 30, 20, 10 years ago is just bullshit. They are who they are now. Be disappointed if you need to be, but make a decision. Either stay a fan or don't. Quit yammering about it here.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Another reason might be the new GA system means that "we" can't see 8 straight shows from ellipse. The Elevation system was more fan friendly.

u2fp
Old 05-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ShellBeThere

what exactly would please then? just different music being created by a different band, or timetravel, or what?

cheers all!
timetravel
Old 05-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #80
Acrobat

ShellBeThere - All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to the show. I have enjoyed all of the albums to greater and lesser degrees, so I am very excited about the Vertigo stuff live but just as keen to hear older songs.

Not having been to any earlier shows than Zoo TV, I am really looking forward to live versions of An Cat Dubh, The Ocean and especially "40" (I feel like I missed something important by never hearing a concert end on "40" - LOL). I think it's good that they are tipping their collective hats to the very early material.

Yeah I've done a lot of head-scratching while reading some posts too, but I guess that's just the nature of forums. what can ya do eh?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #81
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

timetravel
Yeah and while you're sorting out the time travel bit, can you fix it so that I see the hole in the ground before I fall into it and wreck my knee in 2001?

That'd be sweet thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #82
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

It's okay. I did read the book like 25 years ago, lol...

I'm all for dissent. I am all for people airing their criticisms about the tour. I have no problem with that at all. But obviously it was the other part of his post that bugged me. I read a double reference for '1984'. He was at first talking about Orwellian 1984 and then segued into kick-ass U2 shows of that era. But it's hardly worth talking about now, lol.
Heh heh - I get it now. D'oh!!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #83
Babyface

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Hearing it live really made me appreciate the new material more. LAPOE and Vertigo especially, Miracle Drug and Sometimes to a lesser degree. That is all.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #84
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
The two versions of "Bad" that I've heard lately sound great. In fact I was surprised at the strength of his voice. I haven't heard anything else from the tour though.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #85
Refugee

Well, if you get a chance, listen to some of the bootlegs that are out. Compare them and just listen to the effort being put into singing the lyrics. They are good but not mind blowing by any means.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Wait, what's not mind-blowing? The singing, the lyrics or the effort?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #87
Refugee

Local Time: 08:57 AM
repeating an earlier question:

who´s daughter is ill with what disease?

and i´m getting a bit nervous because of the very high price i paid for the tickets.. but it sounds a bit far-fetched that i´d go to a U2 concert and be disappointed.. there´s no way. noooo I won´t believe it. *goes out and thinks of something nicer*
Old 05-18-2005, 07:39 AM   #88
The Fly

Ok...yes--was originally talking about how some people don't seem to think it's ok for people to come on here and criticize the band (that was in reference to the book 1984)...then, yes, I segued into the though that if it WAS actually 1984 (the actual year 21 years ago), people wouldn't be complaining as much because U2 put on consistently kick-ass shows, full of passion and vitality. Which just doesn't seem to be the case now.

At no time did I say I wished the band revert back to a 1984 setlist, or that I wish things never changed from then.

On the contrary, I wished that U2 had kept evolving to the point where they could go out and play their material from the last ten years with gusto and strong conviction. But the material doesn't stack up, so we get the same songs time and again--some being delivered at substandard levels.

My original comments were more in response to the Steel Pulse comment, Steve. I expect MUCH more out of U2 thatn Steel Pulse. Especially at these prices.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Blah Blah Blah.

Yes, U2 are on the downswing of their career - this much is obvious. But no band can continue the succession of creative brilliance witnessed during UF-JT-R&H-AB indefinitely. Just as any basketball player can catch fire and hit everything he puts up, bands can do the same thing. U2 were on fire(no pun intended) from 1984-1993 pretty much. Everything they put up went in(was brilliant). But every band, given that they stay together long enough, will eventually pass its peak. Every mountain has a downhill slope on the other side of the peak. Believe it or not, if McCartney and Lennon hadn't grown to hate each other and the Beatles had stayed together, today we might be talking about how they're just a nostalgia act and how they haven't put anything of relevance out since Let It Be way back in 69. But the Beatles did end then and so they never finished the natural progression that all long-standing pop/rock bands go through.

And the same idea goes for touring.

When a band has been around as long as U2 has, it's GOING to get a little repetative and there are GOING to be songs that just will never be permanently dropped. It's not that easy to satisfy a massive fanbase when they all agree on what should be played, let alone when one group is tired of the standards, one group is younger and wants to hear the standards for the first time in person, one group is bitching and moaning about how the 90s minus AB are being ignored, etc etc etc. And that's just the SETLIST! That doesn't even begin to mention how much complaining I'm hearing about the presentation of the tour. You know what's ironic? What's ironic is that all these people say, with regards to the tour/record, 'oh, I wish they were still adventerous and into trying new things like they used to be', yet all they are really wanting is for U2 to make records similar to the experimental ones they've already made, AB et al. If you really wanted something brand new and adventerous, you would be dreaming up something that U2 has never done before, instead of moaning about how this tour should be more like ZooTV or Popmart(which were both brilliant, btw).

And that's really the point of this...U2 in all likelyhood will never reach the platau of brilliance they inhabited in the second half of the 80s and first half of the 90s again - no band stays there forever. But just because they're not on that platau anymore doesn't mean they're at the bottom of the ocean. They are still better than the majority of the bands out there. People just need to be accepting of the possibility of U2 actually putting out something different from anything else they've put out, instead of hoping beyond hope that U2 replicates a record(s) that were different from anything else U2 had put out - in 1993.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RobH

At no time did I say I wished the band revert back to a 1984 setlist, or that I wish things never changed from then.
Ok...gotcha. We're cool. Thanks.