MERGED-->U2 Vertigo vs Coldplay Twisted Logic+ (Is it me or do a lot of bands)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsp77

Refugee
U2 Vertigo vs Coldplay Twisted Logic

Hopefully this thread will stay in the tour section as I think it belongs here.

I just saw Coldplay last night and they were phenomenal. I know a lot of people here hate Coldplay, and while I don't agree, I see where people are coming from. But they are ten times better in person. The opening of Square One and Politik was oustanding and really loved the way it looked like Chris was jumping through a giant screen onto the stage at the beginning. Not really sure what happened, but it looked great.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the opinions are of people who have seen both U2 and Coldplay this year. I really don't want to attract Coldplay bashers who have never seen them live.

I actually haven't seen U2 yet (seeing them Friday) so I can't compare the current tours yet. I thought the Elevation tour was better than The Rush of Blood tour, but Coldplay were better than they were two years ago.

I am afraid that the Vertigo tour has some serious competition as my favorite concert of the year.

oh here we go...

simp11.jpg

anyone wanna go out to moe's for a pint?

Well, I've seen them perform live for the "Rush of Blood..." tour. I thought they were really good and solid. Now U2, I've seen both Elevation & Vertigo Tours. Coldplay are nowhere near U2's concerts, even though I have not seen them play live this year and problably won't. I'd say U2 has no competition except maybe and I say, "maybe" Rolling Stones. But that's another forum for ya...

Ok, I will post the post that some people were thinking of making since I think bsp is bringing up a cool discussion that should not go to waste:

"Coldplay SUCKS. This dude Martin thinks he could :censored: cool as Bono but he is full of crap. His concerts suck and they will not be around for much longer".

Ok, now that this has been posted, I think that Coldplay has improved dramatically... I've seen the previous tour DVD and found it boring... however, one of my very close friends attended one of this tour's shows and he mentioned that CM's stage presence is much better now.

I am a big Coldplay fan too. :wink:

I saw them 2 yrs ago at the hollywood bowl.. Great show. Also saw them earlier this year at Coachella. And they were even better there.

Can you go into detail how the show was? I am going to the Bristow, VA show on 9/30 and have GA Pit tickets. Could you tell how many people were in the pit? A few hundred or about 2,000?
I am trying to gage when to line up that day for GA and wondering if I need to get there real early or not.

As far as comparing Coldplay to U2 Live well, I can't compare cuz frankly U2 is just beyond amazing. You are taken to another planet and walk out a changed person. It's like going to church. Actually it is hard for me to put it into words and I have been a fan for 18 years! Seen them every tour since Joshua Tree. This tour I have seen them 3 times first leg and will be seeing them 5 or 6 times this fall.

I think if Coldplay can continue to write good songs like they have and really take what U2 does for their fans to heart then they can come pretty close to where U2 are. But it is gonna take many years for that to occur. The one thing they don't seem to be comfortable with is connecting with the fans and that is such a huge part of what makes U2 great. They are no where near that and I wonder if they can get over this uneasiness they have with fans. They need to in order to get to the great band status in my opinion. Being good live is one thing but appreciating your fans and the fact without them they wouldn't be much of anything. U2 has and always had this deep connection (since the very beginning which is what sets them apart from Coldplay) with fans like nothing I have ever seen with any other band for the many many years I have been into music. It's a very special bond. Just ask anyone here and they can attest to this first hand, as so can I. U2 are from the streets and are so down to earth its unreal. Almost to the point of being scary. I actually worry about them, especially Bono who will go way out of their way to talk to the fans and really listen to them. There are numerous stories of Bono giving fans rides home from the studio in Dublin, letting fans into the studio, walking up to fans on the street, taking pictures with them etc.. I mean each person Bono talks to he looks them directly in the eye and focuses on them and no one else. And they put you at ease, especially Bono.

I have yet to see Chris or any of the other guys do this with the fans. They seem to shy away from the fans. As I said this is something that they need to learn in order to succeed to such a high status and or have the longetivity that U2 does and continues to do. U2 are constantly reinventing themselves and are never stagnant.

Having seen U2 on multiple occasions over 3 tours and Coldplay's last tour, I can say there is no comparison. At all. What so ever.

I will be seeing Coldplay's show next Wednesday. Then I can compare this tour with their last, but I think that's about the only reasonable comparison that can be made here.

We almost made it a week without a U2/Coldplay comparison!

We almost made it a week without a U2/Coldplay comparison! [/B][/QUOTE]

:lol: :giggle:

Yeah, I have to agree there is no comparison as far as seeing them live or the depth of songs that are written. Bono is a poet, genius and God when it comes to writing songs and frankly Coldplay's depth to their songs is pretty shallow. I think Chris has the potential of being a great song writer but frankly that takes years of experience to be able to produce such amazing songs and he is not there at all as far as songwriting goes.

U2dork said:

We almost made it a week without a U2/Coldplay comparison!

:reject:

Maybe once I see U2 on Friday I will remember why they are so great in concert, but I was honestly surprised by how good Coldplay was, way better than Rush of Blood, and I thought that was damn good. Even my wife liked the concert and she really does not like Coldplay.

One thing I noticed last night though - What does it mean that I was too embarrased to buy a Coldplay t-shirt? :hmm:

"Bono is a poet, genius and God when it comes to writing songs"

Absolutely wright, agree with you

Bono is a genious, a poet a living legend:bow:

bsp77 said:

One thing I noticed last night though - What does it mean that I was too embarrased to buy a Coldplay t-shirt? :hmm:

Because you think that if a U2 fan from interference sees you, they'll stone you. :lol:

LemonMelon said:

Because you think that if a U2 fan from interference sees you, they'll stone you. :lol:

I think I am just afraid of being stoned by a random person on the street who would assume I am a wuss.

I've seen 2 Coldplay shows this year, and about... 19 U2 shows this year.

It's difficult to campare for several reasons. The first being, the two Coldplay shows I attended were supposedly "special" (or precious). All the U2 shows including the rehersal were in large venues. Second, U2 has an elaborate stage show while Coldplay is stripped down. Most importantly, their sound is dissimilar. Coldplay is more easily compared to Radiohead while U2 is best compared to... U2.

However, I find both shows to be excellent. I tell people who aren't U2 fans they must see U2 at least for the spectacle. It is enormous, state of the art, and in perfect synchronicity (if not contrived). They are precision in rock. The Coldplay shows were less then 1000 people in small venues. The sound quality was amazing and they were highly energetic. I also enjoyed their stripped dwon strobe lights (radiohead stage knock off).

I say they both put on an excellent performance.

However, the hands down best show of the year thus far would be WILCO @ The Vic in Chicago a few nights prior to U2 in May. It was my first time seeing them live and they blew my mind. The music, setting, and energy were amazing. They played 27 or songs. Many of which I had never heard before that became instant favorites. Tweedy, the lead singer, was highly engaged with the crowd and not once did it sound contrived.

Lake Trout @ bonnaroo is second.

U2 Blinky Light said:
I've seen 2 Coldplay shows this year, and about... 19 U2 shows this year.

Donations to the Send Utoo To More Than 2 Shows can be made by emailing utooguyATgmailDOTcom and attaching your credit card number... :wink:

marietta said:
Coldplay on Saturday

Yeah about that... Houston will be cancelled.

However Friday in Dallas won't be, and I'm in the pit. I saw Coldplay on the Rush of Blood tour in the very back of the venue and I still found it amazing, in two days I'll be front row for Twisted Logic, and two days after that I'm seeing them again in Austin.

Can I compare it to the Vertigo Tour? Not yet, gonna have to wait till October 29th for that. Got GAs for that one too, so it will be a similar experience.

I'll come back to this thread friday and tell you what I thought about Twisted Logic.

and may I add, it warms this coldplay superfan's heart to see everyone being civil in a coldplay thread.

I love Coldplay's first two records. "X & Y" bores me to tears.

So, I finally saw Coldplay ever for the first time here in NYC a couple weeks back and was excited for half of the show, and falling asleep for the remainder. Coldplay still have alot of growing to do, and I don't want to bash, and I don't care that they were influenced by U2 and all that shite - I like the band. It's just that both U2 and Coldplay are boring me right now so I guess I'm mumbling now and I have no taste and no sense.

inmyplace13 said:
and may I add, it warms this coldplay superfan's heart to see everyone being civil in a coldplay thread.

I am interested in the various perspectives, so the civiity is appreciated -- please keep the informative posts coming -- a few funny ones never hurt either.

TRUE STORY:

I had 2 tickets to see Coldplay In NEw Jersey September 3rd, but didn't go... I just didn't feel like it! :| My date didn't even like Coldplay, so she was fine with it

[it's a looooooong story...]

again U2 vs coldplay.........................while they gain money and become rich- richer- the richest, we discuss endlessly about them...........................:wink: :wink: it's good coldplay are around, too. they've stolen U2's sound, but in a way you can be happy when a band follows U2's traces.............if you make songs like U2, then you do only good music, so coldplay do! vertigo and twisted logic both excellent tours

I saw Coldplay last Tuesday and I thought that the show was PHENOMENAL. It totally beat my expectations by FAR. I do agree, though, that Chris really needs to work on "connecting". I haven't seen U2 yet, so I won't be able to compare them until October 14 :wink: :hyper: Coldplay I think are great at getting on stage and playing their songs, with a few speeches to the crowd here and there- but I didn't feel like they connected to anyone or I didn't feel like they were singing to ME, like I've felt at other concerts. But it was a GREAT show :up:

I'm know U2 will blow them away though :wink: :drool:

I turned 'Fix You' up full tilt in the car yesterday when it came on the radio, as a likability test. I have to say, in the shadow of the u2 show I saw last week, it seemed more contrived than a Happy Meal.

Back
Top Bottom