MERGED-->U2 Vertigo vs Coldplay Twisted Logic+ (Is it me or do a lot of bands)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ahve never seen Coldplay and have no real desire to, though I don't dislike them. I remeber reading a review on the Live8 performances in Blender and they said that Coldplay was boring and that U2 left them in thier dust. I thought it ws funny how they outright compared Coldplay's performance to U2's. I guess that what happens when the singer of your band starts saying how they could be the next U2 and how U2 are not "unbeatable"

angelordevil said:
I turned 'Fix You' up full tilt in the car yesterday when it came on the radio, ...it seemed more contrived than a Happy Meal.

Hahaha!

Coldplay sucks shit.

All these teenage girls here posting about how great Coldplay is are all coming over from the Coldplay fan club site and polluting our boards with their incessant propaganda, comparing their sad little band to the legendary U2.

What a joke.

Go back to your Coldplay chats and leave us alone, your pathetic band couldn't wipe U2's ass.

^^

that's the answer we've been waiting for :applaud:

:|... as predictable as a U2 setlist

:|

BTW: what does Twisted Logic has to do with this? :scratch:... is that the name of the Tour?.. I thought it was X&Y tour

Last edited:
marietta said:
here's another nasty twist...i am seeing Oasis tomorrow, Coldplay on Saturday...then U2 in a few weeks....
Why pick & choose who's "the best"...stand up, sing & dance...and just enjoy the moments!

Me too.........well I'm actually going to see the Walkmen on Friday, then Coldplay, Doves, Bravery, Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand on Sunday.........going to be pretty interesting with a hurricane passing through

Oh and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club on Oct 2nd

Xavier

EdgeVox, I'm going to ACL Sunday too. Good stuff. I would have got a 3-day but I'd prefer (obviously) to see Coldplay in Dallas friday night.

As for AnotherDay, you really don't get it do you? You're sad.

inmyplace13 said:
EdgeVox, I'm going to ACL Sunday too. Good stuff. I would have got a 3-day but I'd prefer (obviously) to see Coldplay in Dallas friday night.

As for AnotherDay, you really don't get it do you? You're sad.

Oh, I get it, Ms. Inmyplace...

you Coldplay nerds are cluttering up the U2 forums with your laughable attempts to get U2 fans to pay attention to your weak little band.

Give it up, you're pathetic.

First of all, I'm a guy.

I have never once attempted to get people to discuss Coldplay in comparison to U2 here. Not once. I stick my head into the conversations others are having about it. I registered here because I love U2 just as much as I love Coldplay.

Yeah, and I'M pathetic?

Another Day said:

Oh, I get it, Ms. Inmyplace...

you Coldplay nerds are cluttering up the U2 forums with your laughable attempts to get U2 fans to pay attention to your weak little band.

Give it up, you're pathetic.

I'm sorry but your lame attempts to bash coldplay are pathetic.

inmyplace13 said:
First of all, I'm a guy.

I have never once attempted to get people to discuss Coldplay in comparison to U2 here.

Oh, you're a guy??

HAHAHAHA!!!

You sound like a little teenage girl, sorry bro.

Why did you choose a Coldplay song as your nickname in a U2 forum?

You laughable little weasel, give it up.

Yeah, I sound exactly like a teenage girl. You're absolutely right.

I'd rather sound like a teenage girl than a sophmoric, desperate-for-attention asshole.

Another Day said:

Oh, you're a guy??

HAHAHAHA!!!

And you're really brave insulting someone like this. Why don't you give it up and play somewhere else?

If you feel the need to insult people who are just trying to have a pleasant conversation, perhaps you should leave this thread and find some other topic that better suits your mood and conversational manner.

ramblin rose said:

Houston's evacuating as we speak..There's a cat 5 hurricane heading that way.:|

oh I knew galveston(is the name right?), chorpus cristi and other places were evacuating, didn't heard of houston....strange seeing as it's one of the biggest cities in Texas...godspeed to all those people...

Another Day said:

Hahaha!

Coldplay sucks shit.

All these teenage girls here posting about how great Coldplay is are all coming over from the Coldplay fan club site and polluting our boards with their incessant propaganda, comparing their sad little band to the legendary U2.

What a joke.

Go back to your Coldplay chats and leave us alone, your pathetic band couldn't wipe U2's ass.

Pathetic. Are these the kind of people now coming to this forum? Makes me ashamed to think that some U2 fans are like this.

I'll take the blame for steering this ship in the wrong direction with my appraisal of 'Fix You'...but how about getting back on track with the actual tour discussion, before the mods shut it down?

What's Coldplay's show like? Do they have video screens and the like?

They had 4 that were trained on each of the guys in the Rush Of Blood days, but they have a pretty cool video screen this time around. I'll post some pics.

pepokiss said:

BTW: what does Twisted Logic has to do with this? :scratch:... is that the name of the Tour?.. I thought it was X&Y tour

Yeah, Twisted Logic is the name of the tour. But they didn't even play Twisted Logic, so not sure how that makes sense. That would be like U2 not playing Vertigo. Whatever, it was still a great concert. Nice appetizer for U2 on Friday.

I've seen both tours, Coldplay in London and U2 in Barcelona, Vertigo Tour was definitely better but you can't compare a 30,000 attendance concert with 80,000...however Coldplay is without a doubt one of the best live acts to be touring.

bsp77 said:

Yeah, Twisted Logic is the name of the tour. But they didn't even play Twisted Logic, so not sure how that makes sense. That would be like U2 not playing Vertigo. Whatever, it was still a great concert. Nice appetizer for U2 on Friday.

They've soundchecked it and just don't think it works live.

I for one think it would kick ass.

angelordevil said:
I'll take the blame for steering this ship in the wrong direction with my appraisal of 'Fix You'...but how about getting back on track with the actual tour discussion, before the mods shut it down?

What's Coldplay's show like? Do they have video screens and the like?

Nah, not your fault.

The show has a large screen that sometimes shows the band, sometimes shows images and even appears to raise and lower based on shifting colors. Chris also appears to jump through it at the beginning. Not really sure what I was seeing and I was even close to the stage. Very cool though. They also dropped giant yellow balloons that were basically like beachballs. Dropped them during "Yellow" of course. Cheesy but fun. They also had a little acoustic set and Chris also ran out through the audience and climbed on the audio equipment in the middle of the floor audience. A lot of it was U2ish but still pulled off well. They are also much, much heavier live, don't sound so much like the soft rock they are often accused of.

dscf53255dt.jpg

dscf54174dt.jpg

coldplay_027.jpg

photocoldplayao_t2005122.jpg

something like that

Another Day said:

Hahaha!

Coldplay sucks shit.

What a joke.

:blahblah:

You see neutral? I was right. :wink:

Page 4: Coldplay :up:

(Here's one for page 3: Coldplay :up: )

I saw Coldplay in London earlier this year and, having seen the massive spectacle that was the European Vertigo tour, its really difficult to compare the 2. I guess the US leg is a far more comparable show so i'll be able to do that at the end of the year!

That said, i thought they put on a great show, i saw it 2 days after a massive weekend in Dublin watching U2 so it was a bit of comedown but thats not really a bad thing

After Vertigo's stadium show I guess you could call it stripped down in comparison, but it really isn't. Stripped down to me means a few guys on a stage with a spotlight and a couple of speakers while Coldplay's show has screens and light effects and fireworks and a pretty cool overall look. so while smaller than U2, it's not neccessarily small if you get my drift.

and as for Chris not connecting with an audience, i got to say i disagree - he was a far stronger frontman than i excpected with a lot more stage presence than i presumed he would have. I was slightly off to the side of the stage so didn't have the benefit of a straight front on view down Mr Martins throat but from what i saw he definitely interacted with the crowd near him and held my attention from even further off.
The one downside is he's attached to the piano a bit so he can't run out to the front as often as say Bono or even Edge and Adam can, but I dont think it would be possible to put more life into playing that piano when he is attached to it!

All in all, i thought it was a great show by a great band who, if you remember are only really 5 years and 3 albums in. If they continue like they are I reckon bigger and better shows are to come!

I saw Coldplay in Raleigh NC recently, and saw U2 in May and will be seeing them again in December.

I love the whole stage experience, and lighting etc, better at U2, but I think I liked the spontaneity more at the Coldplay show.

U2's songs are better, and City of Blinding Lights was the best opener for sure.

I did like Square One though as an opener at the Coldplay concert.

Chris Martin runs out into the audience for one of the climactic parts of "in my place" though, and I just thought that was unbelievably awesome. Everyone singing with him. I'd say that was the main highlight. That and the fact that Chris bumbled on a song, and the drummer made him stop the song and start over lol. And we all sang happy birthday to johnny. which was cool.

I loved that Coldplay did "Ring of Fire"(johnny cash's song, and if you didn't know that, wtf) and "Til Kingdom Come" in an acoustic set at the front of the stage. Those were great.

Overall I'd still pick U2 as the best, but Coldplay feels like you're watching ordinary guys that could be your friends.

They're nipping at U2's heels as far as being personable to the audience.

Not to mention the goofs that threw their bras up on stage, and got a "what is that ? the third one now? for fuck sake stop throwing your underwear up here!" reaction lol

U2's songs are more from the heart though, and I think thats what makes their concert the best, in addition to all the effects. Its more meaningful.

Ok Ill stop rambling now. :)

Both great concerts.

Another Day said:

Oh, you're a guy??

HAHAHAHA!!!

Dude, chill out. That attitude is not going to get you anywhere...

:down:

Back
Top Bottom