MERGED--> U2 playing the Jazzfest next year? + Jazzfest lineup announcement next week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
With Or Without You

Angel Of Harlem
Yahweh

Short, but related set.

Rumors only, period.

I see it as unlikely that U2 as a full band are playing this festival. They have VERY rarely played full concerts or semi-full concerts without their own stage set up (the last that was more than 5 songs was Save The Yuppies in 1987, and that wasnt a full show either). I think the rumor is merely because it was published that one of the organizers asked Edge about doing it.

What I can see IF there is U2 involvement is maybe just Bono or at the most Bono and Edge showing up and playing a few songs with another artist there OR doing some type of mini acoustic set. Sort of a guest appearence thing.

Anything is possible I guess. But I think this is very unlikely.

Unlikely or not, I'm booking my trip! We planned on going in February for the week before Mardi Gras, but April in N.O. is lovely, so I'll wait and take my chances for even just one U2 song at JazzFest. I mean, it's JazzFest!! It's not like we'll totally be bored if they don't show up!! :D :dance:

Blue Room said:
Rumors only, period.

I see it as unlikely that U2 as a full band are playing this festival. They have VERY rarely played full concerts or semi-full concerts without their own stage set up (the last that was more than 5 songs was Save The Yuppies in 1987, and that wasnt a full show either). I think the rumor is merely because it was published that one of the organizers asked Edge about doing it.

What I can see IF there is U2 involvement is maybe just Bono or at the most Bono and Edge showing up and playing a few songs with another artist there OR doing some type of mini acoustic set. Sort of a guest appearence thing.

Anything is possible I guess. But I think this is very unlikely.

All possibly true, but I would go just because I love music and jazz and a bonus would be an accoustic set by Edge or Bono, Edge and some other artist, I don't care.....I applaude Edge for his involvement in resurrecting the music community in New Orleans!

Carek1230 said:

All possibly true, but I would go just because I love music and jazz and a bonus would be an accoustic set by Edge or Bono, Edge and some other artist, I don't care.....I applaude Edge for his involvement in resurrecting the music community in New Orleans!

Amen sister!!!!!!!!!:wink: I totally agree with ya! :yes: I think it is a amazing thing Edge is doing down there in NO.. I commend him for it. Music is the lifeblood of that city and without it there just isn't a New Orleans..

Man,Im thinking I will have to go and see u2 in new orleans if they play. I've never seen u2 live before so
im dieing to see them perfrom. Although I don't think
my parents would let me drive from san antonio to
new orleans plus even if they did id proably get lost.
Do people goto u2 concerts with their parents?:huh:

JazzFest Lineup Announcement Next Week

There will be an announcement next week regarding the lineup for this year's New Orleans JazzFest. It is set to take place on April 28-30 and May 5-7. U2 is rumored to be performing on the first weekend, either Friday 4/28 or Saturday 4/29. JazzFest is strictly a Daytime event, although there are usually concerts throughout the city in the evening. The main acts usually are finished before it gets dark.

We'll see next week.

well, they did play Tibetan Freedom Concert in 1997, which was 5 songs. i could picture them doing the same for this considering how big of a tragedy this was.

mikal said:
well, they did play Tibetan Freedom Concert in 1997, which was 5 songs. i could picture them doing the same for this considering how big of a tragedy this was.

That is true and is what I indicated in my original post. However, others appear to be indicating a full or semi full show from U2. Just dont see it happening. Also the Tibetan show was ALOT of major artists playing it. U2 would be THE event at this festival if it happened. They were just one of many at the Tibetan festival.

Like I said, anything is possible, but I'm still skeptical about U2 as a full band playing this event.

I think there are too many coincidences. From the JazzFest organizer saying last year that they intended to seek out some major acts for the Fest, to Edge helping out with his program in New Orleans, to the fact he had dinner with the organizer in late November, to the fact their tour now appears to end only a few weeks prior, in Hawaii of all places, to the fact they performed a song for the Katrina benefit last September.

This won't be billed as a U2 show. It will be billed as JazzFest, and one of the many, many performers will be U2. They will publicize this fact, and count on people attending to see them along with all the other artists. Whether U2 plays 1 hour or 2 hours, their impact will still be felt, as they draw people in for the 3 day festival. And if they want to make a real statement, what better way to do it than to have U2 in their final show, from a 13 Month World Tour!

Blue Room said:

That is true and is what I indicated in my original post. However, others appear to be indicating a full or semi full show from U2. Just dont see it happening. Also the Tibetan show was ALOT of major artists playing it. U2 would be THE event at this festival if it happened. They were just one of many at the Tibetan festival.

Like I said, anything is possible, but I'm still skeptical about U2 as a full band playing this event.

yeah, i agree that i don't see U2 doing a 20 song set. that's very far-fetched. with U2's stature, though, they would definitely be THE event, which i wouldn't doubt it if the promoters are all about that.

it sure will be interesting to see what happens.

SoCalMusicLover said:
I think there are too many coincidences. From the JazzFest organizer saying last year that they intended to seek out some major acts for the Fest, to Edge helping out with his program in New Orleans, to the fact he had dinner with the organizer in late November, to the fact their tour now appears to end only a few weeks prior, in Hawaii of all places, to the fact they performed a song for the Katrina benefit last September.

All facts that do not indicate they are playing the event, pure speculation. The tour ending in Hawaii has nothing to do with the Jazzfest? :huh: Its a good place for the crew to end it (sort of on vacation at the end) and logistically it works for the end. The tour ending in Hawaii has NOTHING to do with the Jazzfest whether U2 plays it or not. In fact, there is a break in between and I doubt U2 will do any type of rehearsing and they wont get a soundcheck for this event. A factor against them doing it given their history. The Katrina benefit MANY artists did things for it. Doesnt mean they are playing the festival either. Edge had dinner with the organizer and whoever that was asked them to play it. All indications are that Edge did not say yes or no. So that doesnt really mean anything at this point either. :shrug: I would say the fact that he didnt say "Yes" or "we will try" is more telling to me. Like he was put on the spot.

Hey, I hope it happens for those of you going. I'm not saying its impossible. I'm saying until you get official confirmation not to count on it like alot of you appear to almost be doing. I wouldnt be surprised if SOME members of U2 show up at all. But the whole band is another story.

What does the venue this is held at look like? What is the staging like and how many people does it hold?

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

What does the venue this is held at look like? What is the staging like and how many people does it hold?

It is held at the Fairgrounds, which is basically a giant race track, with Grandstands and a large open field. There are several stages scattered about, including the 1 part where they have the main stage, which has been hosted by Acura in the past. Supposedly the largest one day crowd they've ever had was on a Saturday in '04 or '05, when Dave Matthews Band appeared, and 200,000+ were in attendance.

Since the tickets they sell don't have a date on them, and are either Weekend #1 or Weekend #2 tickets, they don't have a specific allocation, as any ticket could be used for any 1 of the 3 days that weekend. From what I've heard, they'll just pack 'em into the field. However, since the specific field U2 will be playing on is only capable of holding so many people, if you're not there early enough, you'll either be way in the back, or have to listen only from outside the area where they'll be visible.

But since it's spread out, even if 200,000 show up, they'll all have someplace to go on the site of the Fairgrounds, even if it's not at the U2 site. Since there are usually 6-10 stages, not everyone will sit all day to wait for U2, and you can wander from stage to stage if you wish.

Honestly though does anyone really think edge would
not show up to this. His whole little campaign has been about bringing back the music to new orleans. Also, where ever edge goes bono will be there too,they're
like batman and robin.:wink:

I saw Bob Dylan and Lucinda Williams the weekend of Jazz Fest a few years ago, when I was still living in Tallahassee, FL, and the drive wasn't too bad. They were each playing sets at the fairgrounds the next day, but I saw them at a small venue in Louis Armstrong Park, and even managed to sneak down front. The vibe in New Orleans was always amazing, but it was even stronger on that weekend.

I wonder if U2 would do something similar--play a venue elsewhere in the city one night, then play at the festival itself the next night? Obviously, they couldn't play the Super Dome, since even the Saints may not be able to play there again until October or November, but I like the idea of New Orleans as the last city on the tour. Imagine "Yahweh" as one of the final songs, and how emotional it would be for a New Orleans crowd.

I was supposed to go to a conference for school in March, but as it turns out, travel expenses have gotten to be too much, and it's looking like I won't be able to go. The first thing I thought was that's all the more money I can save for a possible trip to New Orleans in April. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I think it would be great that if U2 does play and a lot of us are going down, we stay an extra few days to do some volunteer work. Revenues from Jazz Fest will definitely help, but I know the city needs a lot more.

jackbauer said:
What would they play, I wonder?

Angel of Harlem?

just because they play jazzfest don't expect jazzy or bluesy songs. every year a big name or two plays the fest, and play their usual stuff.

jazzfest is always the last weekend in april and the first weekend in may.

if you really want to go you better make reservations right....now! with so many houses destroyed by the fairgrounds (usually available for rent at high dollar), the importance of this fest, and the number of yearly fester's who will be displaced due to lost housing it's going to be difficult to find a place to stay. i assume hotels as far as two hours out of new orlenz will be booked this year.

Blue Room said:

it won't be just the edge or bono. full band if any.

you don't know much about jazzfest if you think U2 is "the event". U2 will be an after thought to anyone who knows anything about jazzfest. most afficianado's don't even see the headline each weekend. the real parties are are at tips, the clover leaf, rock n bowl, the praline preservation hall, and a house party at micheal ray's. lol

someone else mentioned the weather being beautiful. ha. hot sticky hot and then wet.

if they do play it will be more then 5 songs. main acts usually perform for 1 -2 hours.

kinghenry said:

it won't be just the edge or bono. full band if any.

you don't know much about jazzfest if you think U2 is "the event". U2 will be an after thought to anyone who knows anything about jazzfest. most afficianado's don't even see the headline each weekend. the real parties are are at tips, the clover leaf, rock n bowl, the praline preservation hall, and a house party at micheal ray's. lol

someone else mentioned the weather being beautiful. ha. hot sticky hot and then wet.

if they do play it will be more then 5 songs. main acts usually perform for 1 -2 hours.

Read my prior posts, I dont know much about Jazzfest as I asked what the venue was like. What I do know is U2's history and habits in regards to playing live and touring. Doing festivals is not something they have done much in the last 20 years. A few here and there. You combine that with a 3 week lay off from the last show they are doing, most likely no soundcheck or rehearsal, not having their own stage set up, it factors to it being unlikely they play this event. I have said in every post I dont think its impossible, just unlikely. I hope it happens, I think it would be cool for them to do it. They would be breaking out of their normal patterns a little if they did which is a good thing. I guess we will know soon.

Also, if they play a full or semi full show at this event. ALOT of U2 fans are going to be descending on New Orleans. So it will be much more of a event if they are there versus them not being there. :shrug:

Last edited:
I live in Hammond, La., approx. 45 minutes from New Orleans. I heard on the radio that the announcement would be today. The deejay said something to the effect of "Today we'll find out if deals from the likes of U2, Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones were struck."

Official Announcement is in less than 1 hour, at 12 Noon EST Today. You might be able to listen to it at www.WWOZ.Com.

I just read another crazy rumor about a performance on Weekend #2. It involves somebody who is already rumored to be booked for that weekend, along with his former partner...whom he hasn't played together with for over 35 years. If it is announced, it may trump even the U2 appearance. We'll know soon.

Last edited:
Lennon & McCartney? Wow! That would trump U2.

Hey Senior Bono...I'm jus' keeding!

I'm stumped...is it Neil Young with CS&N? It's been more recent than 25 years, eh?

They're Talking Big. First ever sponsor....Shell. Largest Ever National Advertising Campaign. Intent To Raise BIG $$$$ for New Orleans & Louisiana.

Look for some Big Acts to be announced.

Back
Top Bottom