MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:

no question that mary has a great voice. wow. was kinda hoping they'd throw that last verse in there for good measure, but oh well...still a good performance!

That's the first positive thing I've seen you write about the post-2000 U2. Good to see they can still please some of the disgruntled fans(Not a diss)

sue4u2 said:

Exactly.. I can't believe some of what has been said here.
When was the last time some of you went without food and water for days?? Returned to your home to find it completely destroyed?
Anyone lost power for a week lately? Lost your wages for a week and in some cases weeks? Waited in gas lines for hours?

To say it's boring because of the song that was played, is the most shallow of comments. I can't believe it, really.

As far as I'm concerned, one compartment of my brain responds to disaster, and a wholly separate one analyses U2's setlists. They have nothing to do with each other.

And yeah, what Chizip said.

Chizip said:

what does any of that have to do with U2's performance? if someone didnt like the song choice or was less than thrilled with the performance that means they dont care about whats going on in new orleans?

God no Chizip, I would never assume someone didn't care because they didn't like the performance or song. just didn't expect such a negative response to a benefit song choice I guess.
I thought Mary J sounded great and I did wonder if something was going on with Bono's voice and that was why he didn't sing as much. I don't know?
Didn't mean any offense. I just may be a bit to close to the subject at hand.
Peace!

Bono and Mary J dont compliment each other as far as vocals go. Bono has a much more subtle voice then she does she would have just drown him out if he would have sang more. It was an excellent performance I thought. Really liked the camera angles.

ramblin rose said:
Well, Dateline is ending their program tonight with a video montage to U2 performing Love Rescue Me.

at first I thought they were going to do a live performance of Love Rescue Me - almost broke my leg trying to get to the DVR in time - then realized it was a montage - great song - just kind of random

I find it funny that people in here want the band to change things up yet when they do change them up they end up complaining about it anyways. As I have said in the past U2 will never do great according to this board.

didn't watch it live, but just watched the replay online...

it was a beautiful perofrmance by mary j.

did she perform the song as it was originaly recorded? no... she did her own interpretation, and it was better than anyone else's i've eve rheard... besdies the original by u2 themselves.

great performance.

Yahweh said:
I find it funny that people in here want the band to change things up yet when they do change them up they end up complaining about it anyways. As I have said in the past U2 will never do great according to this board.

Can't recall complaining when U2 have made changes myself - except for Vertigo x2.

That performance was brilliant. She stole the song from U2.

U2 carved that song into perfection.

then

Johnny Cash stole it.

then

Mary J. stole it again.

Epic stuff.

thetitans2k said:
I really did not enjoy U2's performance on the show they seemed sort of tired and lackluster. Also what was the deal with that woman singing with them? I dont even know who she was?

Why couldnt Bono just have sang the entire thing? I thought she was bad and ruined a great song.

I actually agree. Personally I thought it was one of the worst versions of the song I've ever heard, but my opinion doesn't really matter. I'm glad other people liked it and I approve of U2 and Blige for doing the benefit concert...I wish they could have done it seperately, but whatever. props to everyone who participated :up:

Jamila said:
I'm just glad to see that there are still some people here who have the courage to voice a dissenting opinion.

:yes:

And I just have to say that this must be one of the most inadvertently hilarious remarks I've ever read at this site. Like there's a shortage of people at Interference who are afraid to "voice a dissenting opinion"!
Jamila, for someone who's spent an enormous amount of time here, you don't seem to have a very clear image of our rancorous inmates. Or perhaps you're being disingenuous? Or something else?
It's just too funny.:lol:

As I watch this clip again, I think I'm witnessing the first time I've ever seen Bono pretty much relegated to the role of a backup singer with the band.

The more I watch this performance the more I like it. The last minute is really good. We will see what they do tomorrow. I was thinking Original Of The Species would have been nice for a thing like this.

A celebration of humanity and that is really the universal message of One as well. Personally I am getting tired of One being performed at every benefit they take part in or at least 80 percent of them, but tonights performance wasnt convensional so I really enjoyed it.

I just saw the video clip and thought it was nicely done.

So now One has been sung by a country legend (Johnny Cash) and a soul/R&B singer. I just think that shows how great a song it is.

Jamila said:
I'm just glad to see that there are still some people here who have the courage to voice a dissenting opinion.

Are you winding me up? I got banned from Free Your Mind for having a dissenting opinion.

:rolleyes:

Also, that was the best version of One I have heard in a long time. Really powerful, and I don't usually like black female voices.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

U2Man said:

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable. And the U.S. certainly didn't "need U2 to heal a wounded nation". By using the word "need", you seem to indicate that America hadn't got through the aftermath of 9/11 if it wasn't for U2. Please reconsider this for a second.

I didn't even know U2 toured around the time of 9/11 until last year. :shrug:

When you're a heavy duty fan you notice things that don't even register with casual fans and non fans.

Zoomerang96 said:

as for the performance, i thought it was interesting. really, it was. that cowboy hat has to go though...yikes.

:wink:

Thanks as usual to enajh2 for the video :applaud:

I have to say that Mary J. girl really, really did well. Especially at the end. She kinda stole the show - in the best of all ways, of course.

Btw. :shh: Some of you should learn from Kelly and me......everybody hug and be friends . Now. :heart:

Last edited:
thanks for the link enajh2!

:hug: U2Man, that was due to your instructions, that hug...

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

U2Man said:

Sorry to disturb your illusions but the vast majority of America didn't even notice that U2 carried on with their tour after 9/11, only the U2 fans did - I guess the rest of America had other concerns at the time than a rock band, very understandable. And the U.S. certainly didn't "need U2 to heal a wounded nation". By using the word "need", you seem to indicate that America hadn't got through the aftermath of 9/11 if it wasn't for U2. Please reconsider this for a second.

You're fantastic.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: band playing a benifit concert for hurricane victims?

Palace_Hero said:

You're fantastic.

Thank you very much, and don't you ever get yourself banned again because most of your posts in here really make me :lmao:, please.

Back
Top Bottom