MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2wedge said:

You're incoherent, too.

And Kanye's the unhealthy one spouting all of that crap from the other night. And that crap, ironically, is the 'shit' I have against him.

Be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

don't give me any shitass lame cliche's alright? i'm not here to start a fight with you, but i'm still laughing at how pathetic some people on this forum are reacting to kanye because the comment was directed at their leader.

as for the performance, i thought it was interesting. really, it was. that cowboy hat has to go though...yikes.

no question that mary has a great voice. wow. was kinda hoping they'd throw that last verse in there for good measure, but oh well...still a good performance!

you know, for the first time this place and some people have actually made me feel sick, complaining about song choices etc at a benifit concert? good god, complaining that they got someone who some of you dont like to perform with them at said performance? good god, for once this actually wasnt about what song U2 picked, or who they picked to perform it with them, it wat to help the people the needed to be helped, and if all these "stars" wanted to help then whats the problem? at least they are doing something,

and for once i dont care what ANYBODY says, ONE was the perfect choice, do we really think "WALK ON" is a correct phrase we need to use here? because i dont, it will be ALOT harder for people to "WALK ON " than it was during 9/11, this is an entire CITY, people make me sick here sometimes, and this is the worst

oh and if people debate why one was chosen look at the lyrics

"is it getting better, or do you feel the same, you act like you never had love, but you wont need to go without, were one"

I really did not enjoy U2's performance on the show they seemed sort of tired and lackluster. Also what was the deal with that woman singing with them? I dont even know who she was?

Why couldnt Bono just have sang the entire thing? I thought she was bad and ruined a great song.

u2wedge said:

Be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

First of all, he has nothing to do with the 'problem'.

Second of all, I think some people really need to wake up to the reality on the ground out there. The reality is that there are probably millions of young kids (and older people too) who currently view Kanye as their hero for finally verbalizing what they've been feeling for years. ARe they all insane and part of the problem? Or could it be that when you have hundreds of years of institutional racism your perception is different?

The people who feel Kanye has spoken for them feel that way for a reason.

thetitans2k said:
I really did not enjoy U2's performance on the show they seemed sort of tired and lackluster. Also what was the deal with that woman singing with them? I dont even know who she was?

Why couldnt Bono just have sang the entire thing? I thought she was bad and ruined a great song.

wow.

...you thought she was "bad"?

i can understand why people only would want u2 to play, but this was really unique and fresh. i thought it was great, actually.

anitram said:

Second of all, I think some people really need to wake up to the reality on the ground out there. The reality is that there are probably millions of young kids (and older people too) who currently view Kanye as their hero for finally verbalizing what they've been feeling for years. ARe they all insane and part of the problem? Or could it be that when you have hundreds of years of institutional racism your perception is different?

i need to hire you as a spokesperson. :up:

Zoomerang96 said:

wow.

i can understand why people only would want u2 to play, but this was really unique and fresh. i thought it was great, actually.

It just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. It wasnt filmed well. And I just thought she she wasnt good.

Zoomerang96 said:

wow.

for the first time in probabley a long time i agree with you, and does it reallt matter? see my post above, it was a benifity concert for the people that needed help, this wasnt another U2 show,

AMEN - finally a truthful person!

I completely agree, thetitans2k - I have seen much more enthusiastic performances by U2, even at "benefit" concerts.

I actually liked the idea of Mary J. Blige performing with U2, but this performance was boring.

Actually I think "Walk On' would have been a nice and appropriate song to play.

I'm just glad to see that there are still some people here who have the courage to voice a dissenting opinion.

:yes:

KUEFC09U2 said:
for the first time in probabley a long time i agree with you, and does it reallt matter? see my post above, it was a benifity concert for the people that needed help, this wasnt another U2 show,

indeed.

Bono's shades said:
I'll bet if Mary J. hadn't joined in all of you would be complaining that it was just another version of One like we've all heard before. :|

ha. and i'd probably be one of them. :sexywink:

Jamila said:

I completely agree, thetitans2k - I have seen much more enthusiastic performances by U2, even at "benefit" concerts.

I actually liked the idea of Mary J. Blige performing with U2, but this performance was boring.

I'm just glad to see that there are still some people here who have the courage to voice a dissenting opinion.

wow..... see my post above please, "walk on" apporpriate? do you really think that this is a problem that people can just "walk on" from? because i dont, 9/11 yes maybe, but that wasnt a WHOLE city that was destroyed, i dont care if the performance was "lackluster" or whatvever, this was a performance to try and help the ones that are suffering, and how anyone can question, or ever moan about what U2 have done tonight should be asshamed,

"U2 FANS: WHY HAVENT THEY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE HURRICANE"

"U2 OK LETS DO A SONG AT THIS BENIFIT CONCERT

"U2 FANS: AH I DIDNT LIKE THAT SONG YOU DONE, YOU SHOULD HAVE PLAYED WALK ON"

fucking typical

Last edited:
Jamila said:

So let me just understand this post. If someone liked the performance and thought One was an appropriate song, they're lying but the people who disliked the performance and thought a different song would have been better they are telling the truth.

Is this a correct interpretation of your post?:|

anitram said:

And the people who feel Kanye has spoken complete bullshit feel the OTHER way for a reason.

I wonder what Condi Rice and Colin Powell would say to Kanye about his comments? Let's just put it this way... If Kanye really cared about 'his people', if Kanye was really responsible, he wouldn't have politicized what was meant to be an event to help 'his people'. Now I don't agree with the phrase 'his people', but that's how he references it, so that's what I'll use in this post.

His comments have done nothing more than inflame an already emotionally overcharged topic of debate. He IS part of the problem in America. That is, people in power not taking the responsibility that their position in life affords them. He should have been up there telling 'his people' not to shoot each other, not to rape babies in the bathroom, and generally encourage a spirit of togetherness in the middle of a crisis.

And for the record, an African American mayor and and African American police chief were in charge in the city, there was not a race card to be played here.

You can say there are race and class issues in America, but you cannot say that because these people were black that they were left stranded. They were left stranded because they were either 1. elderly/sick and were not provided a viable escape route by city government; 2. made a bad call by staying in the city, or 3. too poor to catch a ride.

None of those are race issues in and of themselves.

The reality on the ground is that a CAT 4.5 hurricane blew away New Orleans. I read an account where an Army division was only 70 miles away but due to trees and debris on the roadways, it took them over 14 hours to get to the city. Logistics played more of a part in getting help there, than attitudes.

George Bush doesn't care about black people..... what a bunch of crap. And I don't even LIKE George Bush.

Last edited:
http://u2torrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=1030

U2
One with Mary J. Blige
Recorded at Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada

Shelter From The Storm: A Concert For The Gulf Coast
Performance in aid of the victims of Hurricane Katrina

Broadcast: Sky One 01.00-02.00 GMT 10th September 2005

Lineage: NTL Cable > ATI AIW 9800 + SB Live > ATI MMC 8Mbps MPG2 > TMPGEnc Plus > MPG PAL (MPEG-2 720x576 25fps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps)

4m20s

Downloads as MPEG

:sexywink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
belive it or not people complained about what the band played at a BENEFIT concert

Yes, because it was a bad choice, a song being sucked of meaning by being dedicated to everything under the sun.

One Tree Hill would've had everyone in tears. And me dead from shock.

KUEFC09U2 said:
belive it or not people complained about what the band played at a BENEFIT concert

Exactly.. I can't believe some of what has been said here.
When was the last time some of you went without food and water for days?? Returned to your home to find it completely destroyed?
Anyone lost power for a week lately? Lost your wages for a week and in some cases weeks? Waited in gas lines for hours?

To say it's boring because of the song that was played, is the most shallow of comments. I can't believe it, really.

sue4u2 said:

Exactly.. I can't believe some of what has been said here.
When was the last time some of you went without food and water for days?? Returned to your home to find it completely destroyed?
Anyone lost power for a week lately? Lost your wages for a week and in some cases weeks? Waited in gas lines for hours?

To say it's boring because of the song that was played, is the most shallow of comments. I can't believe it, really.

what does any of that have to do with U2's performance? if someone didnt like the song choice or was less than thrilled with the performance that means they dont care about whats going on in new orleans?

please

this is a U2 board, we are not allowed to discuss a performance of theirs?

Chizip said:

what does any of that have to do with U2's performance? if someone didnt like the song choice or was less than thrilled with the performance that means they dont care about whats going on in new orleans?

please

this is a U2 board, we are not allowed to discuss a performance of theirs?

They could have just stood there and I'd be happy.

Those making comments about camera angles and aesthetics are missing the point. I mean, they were probably doing this on the fly with an unfamiliar MJ Blige, etc.

Just be glad our band was there to show their support and lend their time to the cause. Any disappointment in performance should be eclipsed by this fact.

Nice performance. I'm not sure why all the dissing of Mary Blige's part(Not sure why all the complaining about Kanye either, but thats another story).

Bono actually looked and sounded humble after she sang the bridge, or whatever the hell you wanna call the "Love is a temple" bit. Humble Bono=Good!

Back
Top Bottom