MERGED-->U2 In Vancouver for a Month!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ladywithspinninghead said:

When I saw U2 in Vancouver for Zoo TV in April 1992, one of their road crew (his name escapes me but he was mentionned in the Vogue edition featuring Bono) told me that U2's favourite north american cities were Vancouver and Phoenix. They thought Vancouver was so beautiful and since it was the last city on that particular leg, the band + family ended up charting a boat and cruising around the Pacific.

It is a beautiful city, man i wish i had seen the Zoo Show there, my exwife wouldnt let me go!!!:huh:

FullonEdge2 said:

If that rumor has any truth at all to it, it couldn't be for the production rehearsals, could it? Production rehearsals are the final stage before the first show, and you'd think this would take place in the first venue of the tour, San Diego in this case. It would be pointless to have the production rehearsals in Vancouver and then ship everything back over to San Diego, wouldn't it be?

Yes, ideally you would have the production rehearsals in the same arena as the first show, but the reality is that renting an arena for a few weeks is extremely expensive and it`s hard to find one available for that long. For Elevation, the production rehearsals were in the Miami Arena, and the first show was in Fort Lauderdale. So two nights before opening night they rehearsed the whole show from start to finish in Miami ( I was there:) ), and then the crew took it all down and put it up again in Fort Lauderdale, just like they do during the tour. Then they probably only did an extensive sound check in FL and went on with the show.

Of course Miami and FL are close, but they still rehearsed in a different arena. They are probably going to do it in Vancouver this time around because there are most likely very few options in North America for renting an arena for three-four weeks.

nope... can't say that, just know that "production rehersals" are scheduled in Vancouver from Feb 25 to March 19th. now that doesn't mean that the band will be there that entire time. in fact, the band may not be there at all for large periods of that time. but u2's tour management is there and will be there till the 19th.

Gotta get this off my chest, just because it's been buggin' me:

A lot of peple have said that they would rehearse in Vancouver because it's so close to the Opening show in San Diego: Not True!

The travel distance between Vancouver and San Diego is about 1500 miles.

So, that's like saying I'm gonna go rehearse in Boston for an opening gig in Miami.

OTOH, from the perspective of a film person, it is A LOT cheaper to rent space & hire local crew (most likey IATSE Union) for set construction anywhere in Canada than anywhere in Southern California AND Vancouver is the closest Canadian city to California. So, it makes sense for monetary reasons, but geography-wise, it's completely nuts. (But I'm sure U2 knew this before hand, especially Larry. Bono, "Aye, but I'd rather rehearse in the warm climate of SoCal." Larry, "It's cheaper in Canada." Bono, "But the journey is long..." Larry, "Yes, but it's a musical journey.")

:reject:

dream chaser said:
Gotta get this off my chest, just because it's been buggin' me:

A lot of peple have said that they would rehearse in Vancouver because it's so close to the Opening show in San Diego: Not True!

The travel distance between Vancouver and San Diego is about 1500 miles.

Its not like they have to walk the 1500 miles :lol: and its still on the west coast.

Just bumping this thread because the 19th is coming up quite soon, and if the band's here for roughly a week to rehearse, I expect to hear about sightings from other Vancouverites in the next few days! :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom