MERGED-->U2 In Vancouver for a Month!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boosterjuice said:

:lol:

maybe they could rehearse at the new movie theatre they got built there. but something tells me that they'll stick with gm place.

I used to live north of Rocky. Buck Lake was the town. When I was in high school, we always used to drive to either Rocky or Drayton to go to a movie. It was at that point that it burnt down. I never found out how. I was glad to recently find out from a coworker that there is, in fact, a theatre in Rocky. I think having a movie theatre in a town brings some sense of "cityness" to the edge of civilization (RMH).

fah said:
Arriving in town March 3rd for 3 weeks....I picked a fine time to be out of town (18th-25th) :banghead:

Don't forget that the Rock Hall induction is in NYC on the 14th of March. They'll have to rehearse for that, so NYC fans should get excited, too. ;)

Vancouver fans: Please let us know what you find out about the stage set-up. I can't wait to hear if all the rumors are true (or false, lol)!

Good luck!
-Mel

cmb737 said:
Is Matt Good a U2 Fan? Too much to think about...two fav. artists and all.

Sincerely, Matt's only US fan.

Matt Good actually LOVES U2 - a few years ago (in his blog??), he had a few harsh words for the likes of Radiohead and basically said they can't even compare to U2 (I forget what he was comparing exactly).

Great to know you're a fan! He's fab!!

theedge111 said:
Has anyone from Van tried to get into GM place to see whats going on?

Whatever is going on is going to have to wait until Duran Duran are done. Unless, they are only playing half the building. Anyone know?

Anyone want to go see Duran Duran in order to see what's up with U2's stage? :wink:

I'll check it out on Tuesday cause I'll be around there with time to spare. I'll probably only see some big trucks though :(

amarks86 said:
I'll check it out on Tuesday cause I'll be around there with time to spare. I'll probably only see some big trucks though :(

Awesome! :up:

Just please let us know what you find out. :D

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead said:

Whatever is going on is going to have to wait until Duran Duran are done. Unless, they are only playing half the building. Anyone know?

Anyone want to go see Duran Duran in order to see what's up with U2's stage? :wink:

Hey Roland when is Duran2 out of GM Place?

the Duran Duran concert is on the 4th, here is the seating chart so I dont think it will even interfere with the U2 stage.

12843s.gif

Thanks for that amarks86! :up:

If the U2 stage is going to continue the heart ramp idea, then it is quite apparent that it would conflict with Duran Duran's stage. The Elevation heart tip reached near center floor for these arenas. By this map, it would at least reach the line you see there. The main stage could be set up without a ramp. I believe that is possible. You would see Duran Duran's stage vacate the building on the night of the show in order to avoid paying another day's rent.

RE: is Matt Good a U2 fan?

being that they are my 2 fav artists, i asked this very question to Matt Good when i met him in March 2003. he said he loves them. i said that he had seen them live as far back as the WAR tour. he also quoted the ZOOROPA tour as a show that he saw live (obviously zooropa was the european leg of the tour, so i am unsure as to whether he was perhaps on tour in europe and saw them, or whether he meant zootv - and probably saw them in vancouver) i asked specifically whether he had seen the elevation tour- but he said he had not.

i hope he checks out the Vertigo tour. i'm sure he would be impressed!

Well, if you check out the article in the news section which features an interview with Ali Hewson in the news section forum, it states that the rehearsals will be taking place in Mexico.

This is straight from Bono`s wife so it looks pretty credible!

ladywithspinninghead said:
Well, if you check out the article in the news section which features an interview with Ali Hewson in the news section forum, it states that the rehearsals will be taking place in Mexico.

This is straight from Bono`s wife so it looks pretty credible!

That may just be studio rehearsals if that is correct. Production rehearsals appear to be in Vancouver. U2 didnt do studio rehearsal in Miami either for Elevation. But production rehearsals took place at the Miami Arena. I doubdt though that U2 are in Vancouver currently. The production crew will probebly be there about 3 weeks, the band will come in a week or two before the first show. So I doubdt the crew is there yet. Plus as reported there is another show there tomorrow.

Then again it all could be rumor BS. Vancouver does seem like an odd choice considering where the tour is starting. :shrug:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

That may just be studio rehearsals if that is correct. Production rehearsals appear to be in Vancouver. U2 didnt do studio rehearsal in Miami either for Elevation. But production rehearsals took place at the Miami Arena. I doubdt though that U2 are in Vancouver currently. The production crew will probebly be there about 3 weeks, the band will come in a week or two before the first show. So I doubdt the crew is there yet. Plus as reported there is another show there tomorrow.

Then again it all could be rumor BS. Vancouver does seem like an odd choice considering where the tour is starting. :shrug:

Actually in the article it states that the band's family will be joining the band in Mexico for the month preceding the start of the tour.

Hmm, no, I think the article said the family would join the band in about a month, i.e., whent the tour will start.

From what I understand, U2 were in Mexico last week rehearsing, but they have left already. And yes, they will probably only be in Vancouver for about a week, while the crew will be there one or two weeks before, just like they did in Miami last time.

Blue Room said:

Why is it an odd choice? Vancouver is on the west coast, thats where the tour is starting. GM Place is empty due to the hockey lockout. U2's money will go alot further in Canada, there are alot of movie studios and tv shows that film in Van for this reason. Canadians kick ass, and the boys will be very well taken care of. It makes perfect sense to me

I have been keeping all the paper clipping for my scrap book and expressed in the news section, I am very excited by this.

theedge111 said:

Why is it an odd choice? Vancouver is on the west coast, thats where the tour is starting. GM Place is empty due to the hockey lockout. U2's money will go alot further in Canada, there are alot of movie studios and tv shows that film in Van for this reason. Canadians kick ass, and the boys will be very well taken care of. It makes perfect sense to me

:lol: easy, nothing to do with Vancouver as a city. Its just nowhere near San Diego and typically U2 have rehearsed very close to if not actually where the first show is at. They have also typically rehearsed only in warm climates. Those two reasons are why it seems odd to me. So RELAX!

Blue Room said:

:lol: easy, nothing to do with Vancouver as a city. Its just nowhere near San Diego and typically U2 have rehearsed very close to if not actually where the first show is at. They have also typically rehearsed only in warm climates. Those two reasons are why it seems odd to me. So RELAX!

Dude i'm so relaxed i just wanted to know why you thought it was so odd, it makes perfect sense to me. :eyebrow:

Vancouver is warm, Canada isnt all a frozen waste land :wink:

Blue Room said:

If that rumor has any truth at all to it, it couldn't be for the production rehearsals, could it? Production rehearsals are the final stage before the first show, and you'd think this would take place in the first venue of the tour, San Diego in this case. It would be pointless to have the production rehearsals in Vancouver and then ship everything back over to San Diego, wouldn't it be?

theedge111 said:

When I saw U2 in Vancouver for Zoo TV in April 1992, one of their road crew (his name escapes me but he was mentionned in the Vogue edition featuring Bono) told me that U2's favourite north american cities were Vancouver and Phoenix. They thought Vancouver was so beautiful and since it was the last city on that particular leg, the band + family ended up charting a boat and cruising around the Pacific.

Back
Top Bottom